Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Printed Card Color Pale (Read 2427 times)
Lynn_181314
GCU Newbies
artist

Printed Card Color Pale
Sep 16th, 2011, 1:00pm

Hello,

I'm new to GCU and love the simple card making format and opportunity to post my artwork. Very excited!!  Grin  Just one question about the printing. While the card stock is wonderful, the colors turn out quite pale. It's at least 3 or 4 shades lighter than what the images look like online or in person. Is there a way to fix this?  Has it always been this way?  I'm just thinking that a customer will not return once they see the pale copies. The colors are not sharp like you see at the grocery stores or card shops.  (I ordered cards at different times and it's the same issue.)

Thanks for any advice or information!!
Lynn

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Re: Printed Card Color Pale
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2011, 1:49pm

Lynn, Sorry to hear of your color problems. You may have to darken your files. My work is also traditional art, scanned etc. I'm on a mac and use photoshop -my GCU cards print pretty true to my files and look pretty close to what I see on my screen. I know with traditional art sometimes blues and greens don't scan true to the originals and you may have to fuss with them in photoshop.

Email   IP Logged
Lynn_150145
artist

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2011, 1:53pm

Hi Lynn, welcome to GCU.  

I actually haven't experienced this before.  I order cards regularly for gift giving and quality checks. The colors I have in my cards print true to the colors as pictured online and as I see them on various monitors that I use when creating the artwork.  

How many cards have you ordered? Were they all pale in the batch?  It could be a specific problem with the printing of that batch. You should post in the GCU Support Forum that you received a batch with faded colors so the printing company can look into to the matter.  

Best of luck, Lynn (love the name by the way  )

Contemplative Creations by Lynn C. Vidler:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/contemplativecreations
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2011, 3:07pm

Hello Lynn and welcome to GCU!  

Diana has given good advice and I know from purchasing one of Diana's cards in the past for my husband, her cards come out beautifully.

I have purchased many of my own and never had an issue.  They are always rich with color and saturation, and true to screen.

The only thing I will add is to make sure that your jpg is saving in a standard RGB color profile.  Some programs have a default that is set to a color profile created by the manufacturer.  

What I've always used with great success is:

Working RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1 or if that is not offered Adobe RGB (1998)

Either of these should give you good results with most POD's out there.

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2011, 3:22pm

Good advice from all here. I will add that you may also have to profile your monitor to ensure that what you see is what you get.

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Betty_136243
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2011, 3:25pm

Hello Lynn, Just to let you know, I have, in the past had trouble with some of GCU's printing when they were making some changes in their printer or software. The colors were pale and yellowed, and appeared out of focus. I did bring it to GCU's  attention. It was an isolated incident, and there were only a handful of others who experienced the same.  It's possible that you are experiencing a similar anomaly, so I would suggest that you bring it to Shaun's attention if you're pretty sure the problem is not your scans or RGB settings.  Best of luck to you, your illustrations are very charming. Sincerely, Betty

Email   IP Logged
Norma_133903
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2011, 10:51pm

It sounds as though you need to calibrate your monitor. Just as you can make the colors more intense and vibrant on a television, your monitor can be showing you a picture that is not a true representation of the image file.
This explains it better: http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM  
The site is advertising Spyder calibration tool, but there are other ways of doing it.

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2011, 11:44pm

Quote from Norma_133903 on Sep 16th, 2011, 10:51pm:
It sounds as though you need to calibrate your monitor. Just as you can make the colors more intense and vibrant on a television, your monitor can be showing you a picture that is not a true representation of the image file.
This explains it better: http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM
The site is advertising Spyder calibration tool, but there are other ways of doing it.

I use a Spyder colorimeter and am very happy with it. Since using it, I have never had colour problems with my monitor again. I wrote a blog post last year on Colour Management which may be of some interest.

http://redrosedigitalart.blogspot.com/2010/04/did-you-really-want-that-sand-to-b e.html

Cheers,

Rosanne

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2011, 11:45pm

Sorry, double post!

Email   IP Logged
Prisiclla_134572
artist

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2011, 3:21am

Sad  Hi Lynn!

Sorry to hear of your trouble with your cards. I ordered and received 4 of my own cards this week, and the colors were wonderful on all four of them. One was a photo of a sunset with a sailboat passing under the setting sun, and it came out perfect, one was a white card with a band of blue-green color with white dots, and 'Get Well, Dear Aunt' in the same blue-green color, it came out beautiful, as did the other 2. I did order all of mine in glossy. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in how the color comes out.

Priscilla

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.