Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
NEW - Custom Front Cards / Photo Cards & Text (Read 44804 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

NEW - Custom Front Cards / Photo Cards & Text
Aug 4th, 2011, 3:35pm

Today we are announcing a new card creation process that enables artists to create Custom Front Cards allowing shoppers to customize the front card images and text on their own!  The first introduction of this process is Custom Photo Cards (with an option to customize text).  Soon after we'll release a Custom Front for text only option.

Big benefits!  This will take artists out of the loop of customizing photo cards and minimize wait time for shoppers.  Also this will allow GCU to readily offer a collection of Photo Cards for 3rd party sales.  It is clear that customizable cards is a fast growing trend for card shoppers and GCU needs to be a player in this space.  

Starting September 1st, GCU will be:
1.  Introducing a new shopper Custom Front interface allowing shoppers to customize these cards on their own  
2.  Taking down all “old style” photo cards and returning them to artists for edits.  These are photo cards that have been created and uploaded to GCU to date.  Please consider revising these existing photo cards (updating them with the new PNG format) and creating new ones for all occasions and holidays with this new process.   We will provide specific instructions in a separate post on how to easily revise existing cards without having to go through the entire create a card process from scratch.  
3.  Moving all new style photo cards from Private to Public (*see  below)

BEFORE September 1st:
We are currently working with a national photo retailer to feature GCU Photo Card content on their store kiosks.  In order for your photo cards to be considered for this partner’s 2011 winter holiday sales we are putting a specific call out for new photo cards in the following categories that need to be created AND approved BEFORE 9/1.  They will begin their selection process starting August 15th so hurry, the early bird catches the worm!  * Up until 9/1 new Custom Front cards will be auto-set for Private and automatically get expedited review:  
-          Halloween
-          Thanksgiving
-          Christmas (religious and non religious)
-          Season’s Greetings
-          Hanukkah
-          Kwanzaa
-          New Year’s

Important Steps in the new process:
1.  Create your card design with transparent areas (for photo insertion) and upload in PNG format (JPG is not accepted for Custom Front Cards)
2.  In the Create a Card process note a new field, “Card Front” with options Standard and Custom.  Choose Custom.
3.  Next are 3 steps to define the Custom Front process:    
   a. define the transparent area(s) zone where the photo(s) should be placed
   b. select and position a stock place holder image (from GCU’s provided collection)
   c. define and create custom text (optional)  
4.  Until 9/1 all Custom Front cards will be auto-set to Private for expedited review & reside in Private Galleries until we introduce the Custom Front shopper interface scheduled for 9/1
5.  Note: different than before, new card images with custom content (photos and/or text) that you upload to GCU should NOT have any place holder or instructional text like “contact artist” or “your photo here” on the image.

The following video from GCUWiki.com demonstrates the process for creating a Custom Front card: http://www.gcuwiki.com/gcuu.html  

Please let us know if you have any questions and looking forward to your new creations!    And as usual please let us know if you notice any odd happenings or gremlins.

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Custom Front Cards / Photo Cards & Text
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2011, 3:51pm

Mindy - where do we go to find the GCU approved place-holder photos?

Would GCU please choose a generic dog/cat head shot to add to those photos?  Some of my "your photo here" cards are specifically animal related, and without a GCU approved place-holder photo, I'm up a creek.  

Thank you!  This sounds exciting!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2011, 3:55pm

WOW!  FANTASTIC!!  I'm off to give it a go!  

and THANK YOU Tom for the GREAT video instructions!!!  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2011, 4:07pm

Quote from Peggy_137160 on Aug 4th, 2011, 3:51pm:
Mindy - where do we go to find the GCU approved place-holder photos?

Would GCU please choose a generic dog/cat head shot to add to those photos?  Some of my "your photo here" cards are specifically animal related, and without a GCU approved place-holder photo, I'm up a creek.

Thank you!  This sounds exciting!

Hi Peggy,  
You have an opportunity to view/choose these placeholder photos via the card creation process.  It is part of a 3 step process when creating a custom front card.  There are 6 photos with pets (2 cats, 2 dogs and 2 dogs with kids).  You can find these easily once you go to choose a photo by using the Pets tab.

Take a peek and let me know what you think.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2011, 4:08pm

Great news.  Sounds like a wonderful new feature.  Thank you for adding it.  I am sure buyers will love to be able to make these changes quickly.  Looking forward to designing for this new process.

I just watched your video tutorial Tom, and it is very helpful.  

Thanks ... Sher  

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2011, 4:17pm

This is so exciting! I've wanted to make photo card from the moment I opened my store, but could never figure out how. Now after watching the video and the the new options, I can finally do it.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2011, 4:23pm

This is a great and grand development! I have several small queries:

I was wondering if a specific Season's Greetings subcategory could be added for the photo cards; as it stands now, they have nowhere to go but in the Christmas category.

Also, I noticed that choosing Custom did not automatically engage the Private classification (to let our tech team know).

And...I am curious if we should be using "Photo Card" in our titles, keywords, etc.

I guess that's all for the moment except to relay huge thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2011, 4:48pm

Okay...there aren't any square people images appropriate for a Holiday Cards.  There is one for business and a square for pet, but none of families or kids or babies.

So...please add for a better look and fit to square and round openings.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2011, 6:28pm

I've successfully uploaded my first and it was easy and looks great!

It does auto-classify it as Private.  Seemed to work perfectly...THANKS AGAIN!

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/viewdetails.asp?pid=848818&gcu= 43045123714

Email   IP Logged
Mike_154103
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2011, 6:33pm

Quote from Tracie_152843 on Aug 4th, 2011, 4:17pm:
This is so exciting! I've wanted to make photo card from the moment I opened my store, but could never figure out how. Now after watching the video and the the new options, I can finally do it.

Me TOO!   This is so fantastic!!!  

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2011, 8:31pm

Greetings!

This is a really neat and welcomed feature.  And it's super easy to do!  Hooray!  And I have to say that the photos are really nice and there are some good choices, too.

So far, so good!

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2011, 10:08pm

Quote from Joan_135833 on Aug 4th, 2011, 4:23pm:

I was wondering if a specific Season's Greetings subcategory could be added for the photo cards; as it stands now, they have nowhere to go but in the Christmas category.

Also, I noticed that choosing Custom did not automatically engage the Private classification (to let our tech team know).

And...I am curious if we should be using "Photo Card" in our titles, keywords, etc.

Good questions!

My suggestion is for you to put your card in the following to cover both bases:  
Holidays >> Christmas >> Season's Greetings
and
Holidays >> Christmas >> Photo Cards / Your Photo Here

The Private setting gets auto-set after you submit the card.  You won't see it while creating.

YES!  "photo card" should be in the card title and keywords too.  Consider including the occasion in the phrase like "Christmas Photo Card", "Season's Greetings Christmas Photo Card", "Pinecone Wreath Christmas Photo Card", etc.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2011, 10:16pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 4th, 2011, 4:48pm:
Okay...there aren't any square people images appropriate for a Holiday Cards.  There is one for business and a square for pet, but none of families or kids or babies.

There is a resizing function with the placeholder photos to make it smaller or larger and adjust the placement of the photo.  Does that work properly for you to adjust and accommodate a square or round opening?

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2011, 12:04am

Quote from Mindy on Aug 4th, 2011, 10:08pm:

Good questions!

and

The Private setting gets auto-set after you submit the card.  You won't see it while creating.

YES!  "photo card" should be in the card title and keywords too.  Consider including the occasion in the phrase like "Christmas Photo Card", "Season's Greetings Christmas Photo Card", "Pinecone Wreath Christmas Photo Card", etc.

Hi, again,

After reading Mindy's post, I wanted to make sure that I really did use 'photo card' in my keywords, but when I'm in the Manage Cards section, the keywords aren't showing up for this card, but they are for all of my other cards.

I wanted to clarify, that I can see my keywords when I click on the 'edit' mode.

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2011, 3:08pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:21am

Okay, I've had a go at this and changed to png the two jpg Christmas Photo Cards I uploaded to GCU some while back. (Card ID's 848954, 848956, 848958) The last two are the same image but one has fixed text on the front that I've placed and one has space for the customer to place their own text.  

I didn't find this to be the most cooperative interface I've ever used but with perseverence I got there in the end (sometimes I needed to refresh the page to get the system to accept what I'd done).  It might be just because it's new to me that it didn't go 100% smoothly as I readily admit that I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world  Grin

A couple of times I seemed to accidently define extra transparent areas without noticing (don't ask me how I did that!), as a consequence when I tried to save the project, it kept telling me to add images or text to those defined areas.  It took me a while to realise that I'd accidently added more defined areas.  Once I deleted those, my project saved fine.

With regards to the text, I think it would be a good idea to have some guide lines showing around the edge of the card to enable people to see within which region they need to keep their text, like the print / margin preview. Plus this would help to align text.  Although maybe there is already an area beyond which people can't move their text box and I didn't go out of that area when placing text so didn't discover any text placement limitations?

There is a reasonable selection of text fonts and colours but it might be nice to have greater editing abilities for the text i.e. if people want to add a big 'MERRY CHRISTMAS' followed by smaller text for 'with love from the Johnsons' so that all the text they add doesn't have to have the same size / font. 

Thanks for this new facility, I think it's a great idea!

Cheers - Natalie  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Beverly_133630
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:51am

Hi Mindy,

Have difficulty adding some images from the selection.
I can not see the "add image" button or click on "add image".

Bev

IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2011, 4:43am

I cannot find  "custom front cards" in the Create a card process..can anyone help , or am I just a bit slow !..also the custom front card video does not seem to work..perhaps it is jammed with too many people clicking on to it!

Email   IP Logged
Monica_138175
artist

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2011, 4:46am

Wow - I'm overwhelmed! Now that I almost gave up hope this might ever happen!  
However, I agree with Natalie that this is not the most cooperative interface I've ever used, and I also wonder why it wasn't possible to allow text only option in it right away. But who cares about those details after all...

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2011, 4:48am

@Mary  

Once you've selected the photo you're going to make your card from, underneath the options for Card Finish - Matte, Glossy you will find the options for Card Front - Standard or Custom - choose Custom.  Hope this helps - Natalie Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2011, 5:18am

http://www.gcuwiki.com/gcuu.html

Great tutorial video, thanks!

I've been waiting for this as I have MANY photo cards, love making them. So, without further ado, I will certainly try this new photo card procedure.

Thanks to all,
Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2011, 6:58am

and

Thank you, Mindy.  Not to belabor the point (and I hope I'm not being obtuse), but I thought that photo cards were only meant to go into a specifically stipulated photo card category. Does your advice mean that we may now place photo cards in any subject-appropriate category as a second choice?

Again, please forgive me - I just want to be sure about this before proceeding.

Thank you so much!

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:03am

I have some photo cards that have two places for photos, I will be testing this to see if I can place two photos into a card ... or can I?  

Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:16am

Quote from Natalie_152060 on Aug 5th, 2011, 3:21am:

There is a reasonable selection of text fonts and colours but it might be nice to have greater editing abilities for the text i.e. if people want to add a big 'MERRY CHRISTMAS' followed by smaller text for 'with love from the Johnsons' so that all the text they add doesn't have to have the same size / font. 
Cheers - Natalie  Smiley

Natalie, this can be accomplished by setting up a separate text field for each variation in font/size/color.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:18am

Quote from Cherie_131661 on Aug 5th, 2011, 7:03am:
I have some photo cards that have two places for photos, I will be testing this to see if I can place two photos into a card ... or can I?

Cherie

Yes, and even more than two...

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:20am

Ahh Painless enough just had a go  Grin could be a lot of fun,
can we have errr a goth stock photo male female?  
I know lol, more girlies and lads and uprights got a whole load of ideas Tongue I know pain huh.

Dont' get me wrong the young lady with the books is good, but shes going to stick out more
than my cards, shes to sweet Cheesy she would look well odd inside a gothic frame Tongue might distract even.

We will also need more ethnic peeps because you can't shove a place holder of a young lady
then have a total different (never know what to say there) ethnic butterfly elf for example.

Am I asking to much? sorry if I am just would like to get them looking good, I know that people
can add in and make up their own minds, but it might be easier and people being people could
take umbridge Tongue

Appart from that my test was painless, infact easy to do, now it's letting the imagination go Tongue
I like that they can add text to the front, but your not going to ask us to leave out all the ones
we do now? I like doing the multiples as I can get my fonts and stuff the way they should be
the ones we have would not cut it on all the cards we produce.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:26am

Quote from Mindy on Aug 4th, 2011, 10:16pm:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 4th, 2011, 4:48pm:

There is a resizing function with the placeholder photos to make it smaller or larger and adjust the placement of the photo.  Does that work properly for you to adjust and accommodate a square or round opening?

I was able to make the resizing work for square Mindy thank you!  I'll be checking out small rounds today, so we'll see if we have the same success Smiley

LOVE IT!  Find it slick and easy!!

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:33am

Oh wow! I LOVE this sooooo much!  I never created a photo-frame card for my GCU store before, but after watching Tom's video and reading over the steps Mindy posted, I made THREE last night (and I was even tired! lol!)  The process went smoothly for me, except for when I forgot to set the transparency in my art program.   Tongue

This is so amazing!  Thank you, GCU!  LOVE IT & LOVE YOU!   kiss

Cindy   (thumbs WAY up!)

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #27 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:39am

Quote from Joan_135833 on Aug 5th, 2011, 7:16am:

Cheers - Natalie  Smiley

Natalie, this can be accomplished by setting up a separate text field for each variation in font/size/color.

Good point, but I don't think that would be an easy option for the customers. I think it would be much easier if they had one text box for their text, and then they have the option to highlight whichever words they've typed that they'd like to choose a different size / font / colour for?  Unless of course the design is such that there are two very distinct areas for typing text into.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #28 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:39am

Thanks to Tom for creating the video on this.  The photo portion of the card was very easy for me, but I wasn't sure how to set up the text field, until I looked at Tom's video.

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #29 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:21am

Quote from Natalie_152060 on Aug 5th, 2011, 7:39am:

Cheers - Natalie  Smiley

Good point, but I don't think that would be an easy option for the customers. I think it would be much easier if they had one text box for their text, and then they have the option to highlight whichever words they've typed that they'd like to choose a different size / font / colour for?  Unless of course the design is such that there are two very distinct areas for typing text into.

It would not be difficult for a customer, I think, if THE DESIGNER sets it up. I have often, elsewhere, entered separate lines of a continuous text for customization, even for the reason that the line spacing within a single box did not suit my purposes. If the various fields are present - because the designer created the option - a customer should have no problem varying and/or deleting. I say this having sold a goodly number of items that had their text customized by the buyer, who made use of the template fields in the design.  

Also I should mention that, the few times I've needed a very personal card in a very big hurry (the Dutch post is very reliable for next- day delivery), I've made use of  several "local" online companies (not the big H nor the big A), uploading my own design and customizing the whole thing - and they all seem to use this same method, catering to hundreds of thousands of customers. I wish we had the possibility to set up these text boxes on the inside of our GCU cards.......

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #30 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:40am

Thanks for the comments on the video.  I was flying a bit blind but wanted to do one to at least get people started.  

Has anyone gone thru the process of ordering one to see what a shopper experiences?  It looks to me that the card appears to the shopper the same as any other card.   undecided   How will they know about the various custom areas??

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #31 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:44am

Quote from Natalie_152060 on Aug 5th, 2011, 7:39am:

Cheers - Natalie  Smiley

Customer's at Zazzle don't have an issue with it and in fact my experience is that the easier customization is, i.e. just replace this text with your text, the more you sell.  The more complicated it is, i.e. the customer has to change font size, color and so on, the less customers you have.

When offering personalization of a product, you want it to be so simple that a 100-year-old grandma can do it the first time she's on a computer  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #32 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:47am

Mindy:  One other thought...

Could we add this category

Holidays > Christmas > Photo Cards > Pets

Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #33 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:55am

Quote from Tom_133317 on Aug 5th, 2011, 8:40am:
Thanks for the comments on the video.  I was flying a bit blind but wanted to do one to at least get people started.  

Has anyone gone thru the process of ordering one to see what a shopper experiences?  It looks to me that the card appears to the shopper the same as any other card.   undecided   How will they know about the various custom areas??

We were told that the customer interface will only be implemented at the beginning of September, so probably it's not yet possible to see the features as they ultimately will appear.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #34 - Aug 5th, 2011, 10:01am

Well done on the video, Tom!  I am wading through my first card, and am running into a glitch!  Sad

My text box that I have set up - while it looks correct, and the coordinates appear correct, the text box itself is squished to the left of the screen, and the text is also squished, unreadable. I can't seem to get it to look correct.  The preview box show my text as blank. However, the little square showing what my text says, is visible in the text properties.  One time, I actually say the text in the preview, but have not seen it since.  There is a little gremlin visiting my card Huh

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #35 - Aug 5th, 2011, 10:10am

Hi, Tom,

Not yet, but you read my mind!  Scary!

I'll let you (and everyone else know.)

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - Aug 5th, 2011, 10:23am

Quote from Sandra_133229 on Aug 5th, 2011, 10:01am:
Well done on the video, Tom!  I am wading through my first card, and am running into a glitch!  Sad

My text box that I have set up - while it looks correct, and the coordinates appear correct, the text box itself is squished to the left of the screen, and the text is also squished, unreadable. I can't seem to get it to look correct.  The preview box show my text as blank. However, the little square showing what my text says, is visible in the text properties.  One time, I actually say the text in the preview, but have not seen it since.  There is a little gremlin visiting my card Huh

You have to do the Preview to see it properly.  It says that on the screen somewhere.  I had the same occurrence, but in Preview it's perfect.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #37 - Aug 5th, 2011, 10:29am

I finally got the preview working. I was using a white font.  It seemed to show the preview correctly with a color font, but with white, the preview blanked out. After playing around with various colors, the white is now showing up on the preview also.  However, without the preview, most of the time, the text box is really squished.  Then on occasion, at least a semblance of the text is visible in the edit view.

This is a great tool, but like anything on the internet, or websites, it takes a while to figure out, then hopefully it will be smooth sailing!

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #38 - Aug 5th, 2011, 10:46am

Greetings!

Is there a way to create a card, so the entire cover is filled with a photo?  I tried to do this, but all of the stock images are too small, and when I resized them, there was a white border, top and bottom, that filled in the gap.

To explain:

I made a template that has stars along the bottom, and my 'brilliant' idea was to have the photo full bleed on the card cover with the stars floating toward the bottom of the card.  It seemed that no amount of moving or resizing the photo would 'stick' so I just changed my template, and created a frame and border.  But for future cards, would it be possible to get photos that are the size of the card covers?

Or, if someone has an idea of how I can make this work, using the existing photos, please let me know.

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #39 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:22pm

Quote from Joan_135833 on Aug 5th, 2011, 6:58am:

and

Thank you, Mindy.  Not to belabor the point (and I hope I'm not being obtuse), but I thought that photo cards were only meant to go into a specifically stipulated photo card category. Does your advice mean that we may now place photo cards in any subject-appropriate category as a second choice?

Again, please forgive me - I just want to be sure about this before proceeding.

Thank you so much!

Yes, exactly.  Photo Cards MUST be in at least 1 Photo Card category.  The second category can be another fitting Photo Card category OR an occasion or subject matter specific category.

For example two fitting Photo Card categories would be:
Holidays >> Christmas >> Photo Cards / Your Picture Here
and
Collections >> Photo Cards / Your Picture Here >> Christmas

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #40 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:24pm

Tom, lots of video viewers!   Smiley

All of these new cards will be Private until we rollout the shopper interface (est 9/1) that lets them place their own photos so until then it's business as usual with the existing "old style" photo cards (ask the artist to do the dirty work).

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #41 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:31pm

Mindy, I still need just a bit of clarification with the categories.  I thought if a card was in a Christmas category, that it could not be in another Christmas category?  

Then, it can also be in a non photo category, is that what you are saying? It could be for example, Christmas photo, and the second one could be Christmas> Snow.  (Even though it is a photo card with a snow bkg.)

Sorry for being so dense, but I also just want to make sure...
thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #42 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:41pm

Quote from Mary_140624 on Aug 5th, 2011, 4:43am:
I cannot find  "custom front cards" in the Create a card process..can anyone help , or am I just a bit slow !..also the custom front card video does not seem to work..perhaps it is jammed with too many people clicking on to it!

You will only be presented with this new field "Card Front" if the image you've uploaded is a PNG file type.  Might that have been this issue?

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #43 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:46pm

Quote from Mindy on Aug 5th, 2011, 2:41pm:
 You will only be presented with this new field "Card Front" if the image you've uploaded is a PNG file type.  Might that have been this issue?

So why not make it automatic "custom" if a png is uploaded, (have no field option)?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #44 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:50pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 5th, 2011, 10:46am:
Greetings!

Is there a way to create a card, so the entire cover is filled with a photo?  I tried to do this, but all of the stock images are too small, and when I resized them, there was a white border, top and bottom, that filled in the gap.

To explain:

I made a template that has stars along the bottom, and my 'brilliant' idea was to have the photo full bleed on the card cover with the stars floating toward the bottom of the card.  It seemed that no amount of moving or resizing the photo would 'stick' so I just changed my template, and created a frame and border.  But for future cards, would it be possible to get photos that are the size of the card covers?

Or, if someone has an idea of how I can make this work, using the existing photos, please let me know.

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

I see what you mean.  These could be some really nice designs Smiley

If you set the transparent zone as the full size of the card then choose a rectangular photo and pull it big enough to cover the entire cover (or even bigger) it should work.  Having the placeholder photo spill over the edge of the cover is ok.  Squares images work too but require more resizing and moving, which is ok.

Give it another go and let us know how it goes.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #45 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:03pm

Quote from Sandra_133229 on Aug 5th, 2011, 2:31pm:
Mindy, I still need just a bit of clarification with the categories.  I thought if a card was in a Christmas category, that it could not be in another Christmas category?

Then, it can also be in a non photo category, is that what you are saying? It could be for example, Christmas photo, and the second one could be Christmas> Snow.  (Even though it is a photo card with a snow bkg.)

Sorry for being so dense, but I also just want to make sure...
thanks!

Correct a photo card can be in both a photo card category AND a non photo card category.  

Where we do not allow a card in two categories is if it's a specific card (relation, message):
Some examples:
Snowmen Missing you at Christmas would not also go in Christmas >> Snowmen
Sport themed Christmas for Brother would not also go in Christmas >> Sports Specific
Christmas from the Pet would not also go in Christmas >> Humor

Typically where we do allow you to double up is when it's a general card:
Nutcracker Merry Christmas design can go in both >> General and >> Nutcrackers

Clear as mud?  

Good to note however that most shoppers looking for photo cards will likely go to a photo card category or search for "photo cards" so doubling up on the photo card category is probably your best bet.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #46 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:07pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Aug 5th, 2011, 2:46pm:
Quote from Mindy on Aug 5th, 2011, 2:41pm:

So why not make it automatic "custom" if a png is uploaded, (have no field option)?

Because any card can be uploaded in PNG format, not just designs with custom fronts.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #47 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:09pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 5th, 2011, 12:04am:

Good questions!

and

Hi, again,

After reading Mindy's post, I wanted to make sure that I really did use 'photo card' in my keywords, but when I'm in the Manage Cards section, the keywords aren't showing up for this card, but they are for all of my other cards.

I wanted to clarify, that I can see my keywords when I click on the 'edit' mode.

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

Aha, we see the keywords are not displayed in Manage Cards when the card is Private.  We'll see if we can change that.

Categories don't show on Private cards either but since this is short lived for new Photo Cards we'll not tinker with that for now and hold out until 9/1 when these cards from to the Public Gallery.  Let me know if not seeing the Categories does prove to be an issue.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #48 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:18pm

Quote from Mindy on Aug 5th, 2011, 2:50pm:
Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 5th, 2011, 10:46am:
Greetings!

To explain:

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

I see what you mean.  These could be some really nice designs Smiley

If you set the transparent zone as the full size of the card then choose a rectangular photo and pull it big enough to cover the entire cover (or even bigger) it should work.  Having the placeholder photo spill over the edge of the cover is ok.  Squares images work too but require more resizing and moving, which is ok.

Give it another go and let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Mindy!

I will give it another try!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #49 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:19pm

Quote from Mindy on Aug 5th, 2011, 3:09pm:
Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 5th, 2011, 12:04am:

Good questions!

and

Hi, again,

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

Aha, we see the keywords are not displayed in Manage Cards when the card is Private.  We'll see if we can change that.

Categories don't show on Private cards either but since this is short lived for new Photo Cards we'll not tinker with that for now and hold out until 9/1 and these cards from to the Public Gallery.  Let me know if not seeing the Categories does prove to be an issue.

Thanks, Mindy,

For me, not seeing the categories is not an issue.

Thanks for your help!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #50 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:26pm

Not an issue for me either!

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #51 - Aug 5th, 2011, 3:27pm

An update on the stock placeholder photos.  If there are areas or subject matter that we have not addressed we are willing to consider additions.

Find what you'd like us to consider on iStockphoto.com and post a link on this thread to the image(s) and please state why.  (ie: would like some multicultural families in the spring)

A future feature of the stock placeholder images will be the ability to upload and use your own images.

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #52 - Aug 5th, 2011, 4:22pm

I still cannot get Toms video to work...it did in the begining but none of the GCU university ones will work now...just a white  page. I have almost got there, but I dont seem to be able to get the picture to stay in the frame, or be BENEATH the frame. Perhaps I am not preparing the frame properly...
I have done two, erasing the centre portion , one to a transparent layer, and the other just erasing the centre portion on layer one....Help..

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #53 - Aug 5th, 2011, 4:32pm

Direct link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLEAXmGIEss

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #54 - Aug 5th, 2011, 4:36pm

Hi, Mindy,

I was able to get a photo to display full bleed.  I think that I was relying on my vision, rather than looking at the size (2100 by 1500) to make sure that I had assigned all of the space for the photo.

I like it.

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #55 - Aug 5th, 2011, 5:21pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 5th, 2011, 4:36pm:
Hi, Mindy,

I was able to get a photo to display full bleed.  I think that I was relying on my vision, rather than looking at the size (2100 by 1500) to make sure that I had assigned all of the space for the photo.

I like it.

Penny Smiley

Oh, I do too!  Smiley  a real star!

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #56 - Aug 5th, 2011, 5:34pm

Quote from Mindy on Aug 5th, 2011, 5:21pm:
Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 5th, 2011, 4:36pm:
Hi, Mindy,

I like it.

Penny Smiley

Oh, I do too!  Smiley  a real star!

Thanks, Mindy!  Good pun!  I meant the custom photo card tool, but the card is okay, too.  Wink

Another question:  This card PID #849227 looks like the bottom of the cropped dog photo is showing.  I'm using the same template that I always use, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Looking at the print/margin preview, I guess that the very bottom will be cut away, but, just in case it doesn't, I don't want a weird dark line at the very bottom.

Perhaps the reviewers will be able to judge and let me know if I should re-do it.

Thanks for you help!

Penny Smiley

UPDATE 8/6:  I tried to create this card again, using the dog photo with the aqua background (love that photo!) and using a whole new card cover that I made from scratch, but the dog photo was still sticking out at the bottom, just the tiniest bit, just enough to bother me.  I didn't delete that card, but I did make another one using a different dog photo, this time a square-ish photo that doesn't stick out at the bottom.  I think that the aqua dog photo is just too long, and it's not showing as cropping to the size of my transparent image area. So I have two cards the same in my shop right now.  I'll happily delete one, but perhaps when the reviewers look at the aqua dog photo PID# 849227 and be sure that it will print nicely, then I'd like to keep that one.  If not, then I'll delete it and keep PID# 849523, the card with the Retriever photo.

Sorry, so convoluted!

Thanks!

Penny Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2011, 8:16am by Penny_134243 »  
Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #57 - Aug 5th, 2011, 7:47pm

I tried this new system, but I am not sure if I did it right.  Are the sample photos supposed to show on the card?   Card #849264   I put the printing on the card before uploading, should I have done that?    Rosie Cards    Sometimes I am not that great on the computer either!!!

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #58 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:02pm

Quote from Rosalie_136698 on Aug 5th, 2011, 7:47pm:
I tried this new system, but I am not sure if I did it right.  Are the sample photos supposed to show on the card?   Card #849264   I put the printing on the card before uploading, should I have done that?    Rosie Cards    Sometimes I am not that great on the computer either!!!

Hi, Rosie,

I just took a look at the card, and it's not showing any photos, just white ovals.  A couple of things to check on:

Do you have a transparent layer for the photos to fit on?  (In Photoshop, it's the gray and white checkerboard)  When you uploaded your file, did the image show as pink in the places where the photos were to be placed?  That's a pretty good indication of whether or not there was a transparent layer.

Once you're creating a card, the 'pink' will turn into a red and white checkerboard.

Did you upload a PNG file?  Jpegs won't work for these custom photo cards.  Sad

Did you select the area for the photo to fit into?  The photo area(s) have to be defined for this to work.  Please see Tom's great video; there's a link in this discussion.

As for adding text and uploading an image with the text on it.  You can do that, and you can add another field or two, for the customer to add text, too.

I hope that this helps!  

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #59 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:11pm

Hi Penny, thanks for your help.  When I first did the image I used PNG and I also had the transparent areas in the ovals, (the checkered area) however, after I added the print the checkered turned to white.  When I uploaded the image there was an area to add the transparent boxes and I did that and also added the sample photos, however, I think something went wrong along the way.  Do you have any idea why the transparent area turned white after I added the text?   I have always had problems with transparent areas for some reason???

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #60 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:19pm

Quote from Rosalie_136698 on Aug 5th, 2011, 8:11pm:
Hi Penny, thanks for your help.  When I first did the image I used PNG and I also had the transparent areas in the ovals, (the checkered area) however, after I added the print the checkered turned to white.  When I uploaded the image there was an area to add the transparent boxes and I did that and also added the sample photos, however, I think something went wrong along the way.  Do you have any idea why the transparent area turned white after I added the text?   I have always had problems with transparent areas for some reason???  

Hi, Rosalie,

If I've got this right, you had a transparent layer, added some text, then the area that was once transparent turned white on you, correct?

Is it possible that you added a white layer when you were adding your text?  The only reason I'm asking is because your ovals are white.

Or you might just confirm that you uploaded a png file, rather than a jpeg.  I haven't ever had a png turn white on me, but, that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

Also check that you've got a png with transparency.

Unfortunately, if there wasn't a transparency when you uploaded the file, there's no way to select the area for the photo placement and have it work for you.  Were the ovals pink when you had the image in your 'create a card' page?  That's a pretty good indication of a transparent layer, as is the red and white checkerboard when making the card.

Good luck!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #61 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:24pm

Thanks Penny, I will try it again, but tonight I am too tired to attempt it LOL   Rosalie  Rosie Cards

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #62 - Aug 5th, 2011, 8:29pm

Quote from Rosalie_136698 on Aug 5th, 2011, 8:24pm:
Thanks Penny, I will try it again, but tonight I am too tired to attempt it LOL   Rosalie  Rosie Cards

I'm sure that the answer will be obvious after some rest!

There will probably be a lot of people reading the forum tomorrow, so there's bound to be lots of help and advice.

Take care,

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #63 - Aug 6th, 2011, 12:44am

Help help....I can not get the stock image to show on my Customer front  card.
What I have done is this.
1. create frame with a transparent middle ( erased middle area.)..1500 X 2100...overall external measurement
2.place this on a transparent layer ( background)...flatten image..perhaps I shouldn't !
3. upload to create a card in PNG.
4.Coose Custom etc
 5.select transparent area
6. now here is the problem, I select the image from the stock pics, and super impose on frame, and make bigger or larger as necessary.
7. when I click on preview, no central image shows  

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Also what does ...Forward and back do ? Shouldn't the picture ,if it appears be BEHIND the frame ?

Thanks Tom for the direct link to the video....excelent, but ...what am I missing? cry

Email   IP Logged
Mary_140624
artist

Reply #64 - Aug 6th, 2011, 1:05am

Yippee I have worked it out ..thanks everyone.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #65 - Aug 6th, 2011, 7:41am

Everyone needs to really be patient with the preview.  It can take a bit to load and actually show you the picture and text on your card.  Probably what is happening for some Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Beverly_133630
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Aug 6th, 2011, 9:30am

Hi Mindy,

Have difficulty adding some images from the selection.
I can not see the "add image" button or click on "add image" button on some of the images offered.

Bev

IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #67 - Aug 6th, 2011, 10:39am

I have never created a photo card prior to this, I just did not have the confidence, but I am trying now to figure this out.  So far I created one, and not sure if I did it correctly or not.  I don't have photoshop, I have Paint Shop Pro 7, so the transparency instructions are different. Something new for me, in fact.    

One question I have is, if a customer picks my card, do I change out the place card picture for the customers or does the customer do that?   If I have to do it, how does one go about it.  I assume first I delete the place card by going to edit, then after saving the customer photo in my computer with proper sizing, do I just drag it into the proper place?  

Probably a dumb questions for you experts, but I don't want to offer something, that I don't know how to finish.  If the customer just does it when they order, I guess there will be easy instructions for them to follow.  

Thanks in advance

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #68 - Aug 6th, 2011, 10:43am

Myrna,
You don't need to do anything for the customer. That is the new feature of this photo editor. The customer does it themselves! The old way people uploaded a photo card, the artist had to make the change.  But now the customer will do it.  Pretty slick  Cool

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #69 - Aug 6th, 2011, 10:46am

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Aug 6th, 2011, 10:39am:
I have never created a photo card prior to this, I just did not have the confidence, but I am trying now to figure this out.  So far I created one, and not sure if I did it correctly or not.  I don't have photoshop, I have Paint Shop Pro 7, so the transparency instructions are different. Something new for me, in fact.  

One question I have is, if a customer picks my card, do I change out the place card picture for the customers or does the customer do that?   If I have to do it, how does one go about it.  I assume first I delete the place card by going to edit, then after saving the customer photo in my computer with proper sizing, do I just drag it into the proper place?  

Probably a dumb questions for you experts, but I don't want to offer something, that I don't know how to finish.  If the customer just does it when they order, I guess there will be easy instructions for them to follow.

Thanks in advance

Hi Myrna,

I just looked at your new photo card and it looks like you did it correctly, only the reviewers will be able to tell if the text and such is editable, but it looks good to me.

And the beauty of this is that the customer does all the customization, so we create these 'templates' and the customer swaps the placeholder photo for their own and changes the text if you've added that option.  We design once and sell, sell, sell  

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #70 - Aug 6th, 2011, 10:52am

Thanks ladies!   Maybe I will have to order a card or two, just to learn how to do it.  

Email   IP Logged
Renae_139784
artist

Reply #71 - Aug 6th, 2011, 11:05am

I think I got the hang of this...but I sure could use a stock photo insert for a Bird, a Fish and a Horse for my Deck the Halls Christmas design....Love to hear any comments on my offerings.....

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #72 - Aug 6th, 2011, 3:44pm

Quote from Renae_139784 on Aug 6th, 2011, 11:05am:
I think I got the hang of this...but I sure could use a stock photo insert for a Bird, a Fish and a Horse for my Deck the Halls Christmas design....Love to hear any comments on my offerings.....

I like them, a LOT, Renae!  I was asking in the critique clinic for some examples of good photo cards, and by golly, I believe yours are!  Smiley

Thanks for sharing them!  

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Renae_139784
artist

Reply #73 - Aug 6th, 2011, 3:58pm

Thank you for taking the time to look Cindy...makes me want to go and create more! I just hope a couple of them are chosen for the 3rd party user!

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #74 - Aug 6th, 2011, 6:28pm

Quote from Renae_139784 on Aug 6th, 2011, 11:05am:

P.S.  I meant to tell you that I agree, GCU needs to provide stock photos of a bird, fish and horse.  The cat looks humorous sitting in for the bird and fish, and a dog could probably never pass for a horse.  LOL.

Email   IP Logged
Renae_139784
artist

Reply #75 - Aug 6th, 2011, 7:41pm

Cindy...you're my new BFF, cause you feel my pain! ... LOL

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #76 - Aug 6th, 2011, 8:23pm

Quote from Mindy on Aug 5th, 2011, 3:27pm:
An update on the stock placeholder photos.  If there are areas or subject matter that we have not addressed we are willing to consider additions.

Find what you'd like us to consider on iStockphoto.com and post a link on this thread to the image(s) and please state why.  (ie: would like some multicultural families in the spring)

A future feature of the stock placeholder images will be the ability to upload and use your own images.

Hi Mindy,

First may I offer my opinion (when don't I  Grin) that I think allowing us to upload our own images as placeholders is not a good idea.  Here's why for what its worth:  I think when customers see all the same faces and pet mugs on photo cards it is a much more professional display then having a menagerie of both good and poor quality 'none stock photo style' photo cards to rummage through.  If some of us have photos that we are currently using as placeholders and have the right to offer them, perhaps we could offer them to GCU to add to this nice collection for this purpose, otherwise my vote is we grow the iStock offering into something that suits all needs and keep these cards looking slick and professional.

With that said, I had some needs and thoughts so I went to iStock and hunted.  Just food for thought of course:

I'd like to see more business for Business/Corporate Holiday cards and a variety of 'professionalism':  #12074329, #12107860,#214466, #11537092

I’d like to see a few with a bit of a western flair for ranchers, farmers and general cowpoke that send out annual greetings:
#13602201 , #4579476, #6500099, #914648

I would like to see portraits a little more suited to Hanukah and Bar Mitzvahs:
#15013583, #663141

We do need a few more pets, I found a couple to use for the occasional bird, fish, hamster photo cards which encompass a variety of pets and then we should have a few with more than one cat or dog. I know I've done a few custom cards here that had more than one pet in the photo.  #8936112, #13749801,   #6612079, #2921053, #16032311

I’d love to see more black and white; they can really make a design desirable and entice sales…that’s been my experience anyway.  I found them hard to come by on iStock, any chance we can turn some of what you have into BW for a 2nd option of the same image?  Here are a few I found.
#416223, #863513, #8938350 #691639  #13750297 #5974393

Something New Year appropriate for those cards would be nice  #9255440, #14754635,  

We need some twins for our baby announcements, christening/baptism and graduation cards:
#17114882, #13731350, #16427716, #13852703, #15293585, #5886693, #10557941, #10557634, #9850564, #7927953

Triplets: #14765735, #3160222

I’d like to see a couple more Halloween portraits if we have any chance in selling Halloween Photo Cards the image inside has to inspire the buyer by fitting the theme:  #9309944, #14167854, #10682951, #6925762, #11035705

There was a call for more multi-cultural and I found these I though were wonderful additions:
#10374949, #16830576,  #6870753

Generally my feeling is that more 'theme related' the placeholder is, the better the design looks, the bigger the sales.

Probably just made you wince with this list didn't I?   Grin

Oh and...we need a square and rectangle logo placeholder!  PLEASE!  Even just something that says Your Logo Here is cool with me.

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2011, 12:40pm by Doreen_137017 »  
Email   IP Logged
barbara_133221
Gold Member
artist

Reply #77 - Aug 6th, 2011, 11:50pm

Hi Mindy, Shaun,
Don't know if I should post here, or support forum, but here goes:
When making a photo card, the text always looks distorted. It only appears normal when going into the "card preview" mode. You do have this text : "Note: You'll need to use "View Card Preview" to see your text in its finished format". Is it possible to have the text appear normal after saving text, without having to go into the "view card preview" mode?
Second point: I had made a card, then changed the card image, text and placeholder photo (and saved).
When going into card preview mode, the deleted, old image and photo and old text appear, it takes nearly 30 or 40 seconds till the new, correct card, text and photo appear (I'm on broadband, high speed). This can be confusing for a customer, as they will  click on a card with lets say a blue background and a family of three, and when going into the preview mode (after changing text) will come up  with a red background and a family of 2 Roll Eyes As I said, the correct image and text only appears after 30 seconds, and many customers will not wait that long and will think that there is a technical fault Tongue or that it's not working embarrassed

I tried to include a screenshot, but I do not know how to insert one in a forum post undecided
Will send screenshot as an email.

Otherwise, I'm delighted
 Smileybarbara

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2011, 1:26am by barbara_133221 »  
Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #78 - Aug 7th, 2011, 3:44am

Both Doreen and Barbara's posts state my feelings exactly.  If I weren't awake, I would think I had posted my thoughts in my dream Roll Eyes   Doreen, I didn't check out the actual photos, but thanks for taking the time to research more photos for all of us.

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #79 - Aug 7th, 2011, 5:19am

I ran into some other questions. I don't know if I should be posting it here, but they all relate to the new photo card editor. Huh

1) How do we rotate an image?  
2) When I have more than one image placeholder, one picture bleeds into the other image area.  Can I set one on top, and one on the bottom layer?  

3) I need more vertical pictures

I am really enjoying this process Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #80 - Aug 7th, 2011, 8:52am

In the process of updating my current photo cards I have come up with the following questions:

1. Do we need to delete all previous custom cards from our private gallery?  I often refer to a card there as an example when I am working with a customer on a custom card and have left many in my gallery, especially custom graduation cards.

2. Will custom cards still be offered via the custom link ("Request a Custom Card from Artist") after September 1st?

3. Should we still make custom photo cards that are relationship specific?  For example:  For Father's Day, I have photo cards for Dad and for Grandfather.  I could put the name in the custom template (if the available fonts are appropriate), but will the customer realize they can change it?  Same question for year specific photo cards.  Possibly we could put "Add Name Here"  or "Add Date Here" on those cards?

The new photo cards and text edit process is super and I'm having a great time updating and creating these cards.  Appreciate that you made the professional placeholder images available.  The quality of these images makes the cards pop!  I agree with Doreen that you should grow the iStock offering and not allow use of other images.  

Thanks,
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Christie_131341
artist

Reply #81 - Aug 7th, 2011, 12:24pm

Okay, I made my first card and it worked with some effort and thinking I understood how to get everything aligned.

BUT, my second card is giving me a lot of trouble...I don't see anyone else mention this, so maybe I am doing something wrong.
I can not get the picture to stay centered in my transparent window.  Will there be a problem putting a horizontal image in a vertical placeholder?  Is there a limit as to how much the image is allowed to stick out on the side?
I have to enlarge the image to fit my placeholder and the subjects fit fine...but, when I preview it, the whole image shifts to the right and cuts one of the subjects out.
Size: W: 1808, H: 1218
Position: X: -375, Y: 109 (it is like it does not like the extra part of the image sticking out on the left side)
Any insight?
THANKS!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #82 - Aug 7th, 2011, 12:34pm

Quote from Christie_131341 on Aug 7th, 2011, 12:24pm:
Okay, I made my first card and it worked with some effort and thinking I understood how to get everything aligned.

BUT, my second card is giving me a lot of trouble...I don't see anyone else mention this, so maybe I am doing something wrong.
I can not get the picture to stay centered in my transparent window.  Will there be a problem putting a horizontal image in a vertical placeholder?  Is there a limit as to how much the image is allowed to stick out on the side?
I have to enlarge the image to fit my placeholder and the subjects fit fine...but, when I preview it, the whole image shifts to the right and cuts one of the subjects out.
Position: X: -375, Y: 109 (it is like it does not like the extra part of the image sticking out on the left side)
Any insight?
THANKS!

I have experienced the same issue.  The system during preview seems to do an auto-center of the image and I would also prefer it didn't do that.  Like Christie, I've had to enlarge to fit and then wanted to place the image where it looked best but the system centered it.  Its almost a must that the customer be allowed to position without auto-centering or you'll have very frustrated customers, so I'm with Christie can we all have this little fix?

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #83 - Aug 7th, 2011, 1:18pm

I ran into the same problem as described in the two posts directly above and was obliged to come up with different solutions to get past the system's limitations and complete my design looking somewhat acceptable.

Therefore I'm adding my vote - or plea - for canceling the automatic centering (and allowing the photo to extend far beyond the card's edges) as I also believe that many photos that will be used by customers will require exact placement to look best.

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #84 - Aug 7th, 2011, 3:12pm

Well that's interesting, I have been putting the placeholder all over the place and sometimes it extends beyond the edge of the card, but it has never automatically centered or changed after I sized and placed it where I wanted it - even when I preview it.  I don't try to have the placeholder match the defined transparent area.

Hope they turn out all right.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #85 - Aug 7th, 2011, 3:30pm

Greetings!

Thanks to Doreen for doing all of the research at iStock for more photos!

YES, to more black and white images!  Black and white photography is classic and timeless, and could really make our designs POP!  

About being able to SKEW the photos:  YES, please!  Wouldn't that be great?  

***  Look on the 'photo cards' page and see the wonderful Christmas card that Eugenia made for Mindy's family:  The photo is skewed and it's a black and white photo, too!  And so beautiful!

And, if I may add my 'vote' to using our own photos, or staying with stock images, I'm voting for stock images!  Overall, the site will look so much more attractive if we're all using the same quality images.  Let's face it, anyone can 'take a picture,' but not everyone is a photographer!  (I'm the classic, oh, bleep, my brother has the Christmas tree topper growing out of his head, photographer!)

For what it's worth!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #86 - Aug 8th, 2011, 6:41am

Hello everyone, I imagine you were all creating these fun photo front cards this week end.  My question was asked a few days ago about what happens when the customer expects us to insert their photo, and I was assured that this would not happen because the customer will have all the means to insert it themselves.  However now that I have created several Christmas photo front cards, and looking them over today, I notice this link under each card saying: "click here to ask the artist to insert your photo at no extra charge"
so I am wondering again, are we expected to insert their photo, if so how do we do that?

It is no doubt an easy process, since no one else seems concerned, however just my luck someone will purchase my card, click that link and I won't know what to do.  

Please, is their a video that teaches this somewhere?  Or easy instructions.  I have no problem with the stock photos while creating the cards, while the card is in that creating mode.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #87 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:02am

I had some issues this morning with the text box in the new photo card feature.  When I change the font to a white color and press save, it looks like a scrambled mess of words with a bar code next to it.  I couldn't read the Happy Holidays on that screen.  But when I went to Preview, it showed up normally.   undecided

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #88 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:06am

How about something appropriate for Halloween too - maybe some kids in costumes.  I made one that I set up with a cat and I know it's just not appropriate.  Thinking for costume parties.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #89 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:52am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 8th, 2011, 7:06am:
How about something appropriate for Halloween too - maybe some kids in costumes.  I made one that I set up with a cat and I know it's just not appropriate.  Thinking for costume parties.

I thought of that too and its on the list above for Mindy to look at Smiley  Gottcha covered!

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #90 - Aug 8th, 2011, 8:15am

Having a challenge this morning with photo card #472905.  I am updating this currently approved grandparents day photo card. The final card image will not save and the card area on my "manage cards" page is blank. When I click save project, the "Card Inside Text" page does not show the front image.  There is a grey triangle in the image area.  I have cleared all cashes and restarted my computer but still will not show new saved image.  Using Firefox 5.0.1 on a Mac.

Maybe this has something to do with the categories as this card is not in the Collections> Photo Cards/Your Picture Here> Grandparents Day category.  And I cannot change the category on these approved cards.  Perhaps I need to make a new card from scratch??

Thanks,
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #91 - Aug 8th, 2011, 8:22am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 8th, 2011, 7:52am:

I thought of that too and its on the list above for Mindy to look at Smiley  Gottcha covered!

OOPS - I didn't realize that... I'm a tad behind on posts and doing a poor job scanning what's already been said... had to say goodbye to one of my furry kids and still trying to grasp that she's gone.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #92 - Aug 8th, 2011, 8:39am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 8th, 2011, 8:22am:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 8th, 2011, 7:52am:

OOPS - I didn't realize that... I'm a tad behind on posts and doing a poor job scanning what's already been said... had to say goodbye to one of my furry kids and still trying to grasp that she's gone.

Oh...I am so sorry Donna, boy do I know how difficult that is.  My heart is with you.  

No biggie, I just wanted you to know that you are right and its on the wish list Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #93 - Aug 8th, 2011, 8:41am

Hi Kathleen,

I'm sure they will let us know, but I interpreted Mindy's original post correctly she stated the old photo cards would be removed.  Since she did not say sent for edit to the new format, I'm guessing we should be remaking them.

Email   IP Logged
David_134612
artist

Reply #94 - Aug 8th, 2011, 9:24am

I love the new photo card application but i dont understand the approval process once submitted.
 Once created,All of the cards show up as private.
 Does this PRIVATE STATUS change when they are approved ?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #95 - Aug 8th, 2011, 9:39am

Quote from David_134612 on Aug 8th, 2011, 9:24am:
I love the new photo card application but i dont understand the approval process once submitted.
Once created,All of the cards show up as private.
Does this PRIVATE STATUS change when they are approved ?

Hi David,

Read Mindy's announcement it explains it - Page 1 of this post.  Right now the Private is a temporary thing.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #96 - Aug 8th, 2011, 9:50am

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Aug 8th, 2011, 6:41am:
Hello everyone, I imagine you were all creating these fun photo front cards this week end.  My question was asked a few days ago about what happens when the customer expects us to insert their photo, and I was assured that this would not happen because the customer will have all the means to insert it themselves.  However now that I have created several Christmas photo front cards, and looking them over today, I notice this link under each card saying: "click here to ask the artist to insert your photo at no extra charge"
so I am wondering again, are we expected to insert their photo, if so how do we do that?

It is no doubt an easy process, since no one else seems concerned, however just my luck someone will purchase my card, click that link and I won't know what to do.  

Please, is their a video that teaches this somewhere?  Or easy instructions.  I have no problem with the stock photos while creating the cards, while the card is in that creating mode.  

Hi, Myrna,

I think that you'll find the process easy to do.  When you get the customer's photo, you'll just want to add it to your file so that the customer's photo replaces that transparent layer, or is a layer above so the photo shows through.  You might want to practice it on some of the cards that you've already created, just by opening the files and using one of your own photographs, to see how easy it actually will be for you.

Hope that this helps!

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #97 - Aug 8th, 2011, 9:59am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 8th, 2011, 8:41am:
Hi Kathleen,

I'm sure they will let us know, but I interpreted Mindy's original post correctly she stated the old photo cards would be removed.  Since she did not say sent for edit to the new format, I'm guessing we should be remaking them.

Thanks Doreen,
I did all my old Christmas photo cards by updating through edit.  When I change the image to the png file the options come up for Standard and Custom and I just checked custom and followed the process.  All went through fine and are in my private gallery.   They were all in the correct categories so I'm thinking that the Grandparents Day card didn't go through because of wrong category.  Anyway, hope Mindy will let me know if I need to redo the Christmas ones.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #98 - Aug 8th, 2011, 10:01am

Hi, again!

I didn't realize this until I read Myrna's post:  Under the photo cards there is a link that reads:

"click here to ask the artist to insert your photo at no charge"

cry

I have to say that I'm really bummed about this feature.  When I stopped taking custom requests, I moved all of my photo cards (which wasn't too many) to my private gallery.  I was really excited at the thought of making photo cards again and the application that would allow a customer to add his/her own photos to them.

I think that this is something that needs to be addressed.  Mindy, what are your thoughts on this?

Any artists with thoughts about this are free to chime in, too!

Thanks,

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #99 - Aug 8th, 2011, 10:14am

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Aug 8th, 2011, 9:59am:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 8th, 2011, 8:41am:
Hi Kathleen,

Thanks Doreen,
I did all my old Christmas photo cards by updating through edit.  When I change the image to the png file the options come up for Standard and Custom and I just checked custom and followed the process.  All went through fine and are in my private gallery.   They were all in the correct categories so I'm thinking that the Grandparents Day card didn't go through because of wrong category.  Anyway, hope Mindy will let me know if I need to redo the Christmas ones.

Ah great news!  Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sure you are correct about the category.  One category does have to be a Photo Card category.  I'll get mine edited as soon as I can Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #100 - Aug 8th, 2011, 10:16am

Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 8th, 2011, 10:01am:
Hi, again!

I didn't realize this until I read Myrna's post:  Under the photo cards there is a link that reads:

cry

I have to say that I'm really bummed about this feature.  When I stopped taking custom requests, I moved all of my photo cards (which wasn't too many) to my private gallery.  I was really excited at the thought of making photo cards again and the application that would allow a customer to add his/her own photos to them.

I think that this is something that needs to be addressed.  Mindy, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Penny Smiley

I'm not sure, but I think what you are seeing is what exists today, because this new feature does not go public until September 1st.

Remember our new cards using this option remain in our Private Gallery until we go live, so I think you two are shedding tears over nothing  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #101 - Aug 8th, 2011, 10:34am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 8th, 2011, 10:16am:
Quote from Penny_134243 on Aug 8th, 2011, 10:01am:
Hi, again!

cry

Thanks,

Penny Smiley

I'm not sure, but I think what you are seeing is what exists today, because this new feature does not go public until September 1st.

Remember our new cards using this option remain in our Private Gallery until we go live, so I think you two are shedding tears over nothing  Grin

Hi, Doreen,

You could be right.  I hope that Mindy will clarify this point.

As for the tear, I think it's the same one, over and over ...  Wink

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #102 - Aug 8th, 2011, 12:14pm

HELP Please! OK I've scanned in my art and used the magic wand and selected the area I want to make transparent. My only options (working photoshop CS2) Is to clear this area. Clear means transparent right? Unless I'm missing something. HELP?

Well the area stays white does not show the checker board. If I place it on a transparent layer it shows the checkerboard so I did cut out the area and it really is clear. However if I try to save at this point as a PNG it says it will only save as a copy. If I then flatten it  -the area becomes white again!!!  

Tried to do the GCU photo card but it wants to define the whole card because well I don;t have a checkerboard transparent area.   So How do I get the transparent checkerboard? Someone?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #103 - Aug 8th, 2011, 12:29pm

Quote from Diana_131887 on Aug 8th, 2011, 12:14pm:
HELP Please! OK I've scanned in my art and used the magic wand and selected the area I want to make transparent. My only options (working photoshop CS2) Is to clear this area. Clear means transparent right? Unless I'm missing something. HELP?

Well the area stays white does not show the checker board. If I place it on a transparent layer it shows the checkerboard so I did cut out the area and it really is clear. However if I try to save at this point as a PNG it says it will only save as a copy. If I then flatten it  -the area becomes white again!!!

Tried to do the GCU photo card but it wants to define the whole card because well I don;t have a checkerboard transparent area.   So How do I get the transparent checkerboard? Someone?

Hi Diana,

In CS-2, you just want to select the area and hit the delete key or use cut.  You want to be able to see the Photoshop 'grid' as the background and then make sure you merge your layers when you are done and save it as a PNG.  Should be good to go at that point.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #104 - Aug 8th, 2011, 12:31pm

Diana, Try this in photoshop...
When you pull your image into photoshop it becomes the first layer.  That layer is not editable!
Make a copy of that layer so your copy is now on layer two.
Turn the eye piece off on the original (first layer)
Next highlight the second layer again and use the Rectangle Marquee tool to draw out a rectangle over your image.
Once that is highlighted... hit the delete key.
You should see the gray and white boxes where you've deleted your rectangle.

Once you are done with this image, merge the layers together.
Then go to File - Save As
Name your new design and then go down to the Format box
Select the drop down arrow in the Format box and then scroll down until you see the png option  
Select the png option and then Save your design in your designated folder.

I hope this helps.
Sher

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #105 - Aug 8th, 2011, 12:51pm

Wow Doreen & Sheryl you guys are fast! I will have to try your method on my next piece as it was I saved it as a copy in PNG (without flattening)  and it worked on GCU. But your ways sound like the proper way to go about it.  

My photo area is the irregular space within a wreath - which is why I used a magic wand to "Clear the area" will have to see if I can delete it. etc.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #106 - Aug 8th, 2011, 12:58pm

The nice thing about photoshop is there are many ways to do something.  Smiley   So you can certainly clear the area with your Magic Wand and then delete it that way, since you have a special shape you are working within.  I mentioned the rectangle marquee as another way of making the selection to delete a space.  

I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful design.  Smiley

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #107 - Aug 8th, 2011, 2:37pm

Just noticed my card is now in my private gallery (my 1 and only) But Have I read this correctly that -the New way of ordering these custom front photocards will not be working until 9/1? Meaning therefore we should NOT be twittering etc. about this new feature until it's ready for the general public?

Also I picked 1 category - I believe Christmas general or animals photo cards but when I went to check and possibly change or add to a better category I couldn't. I assume that's because it's a private gallery card?  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #108 - Aug 8th, 2011, 3:09pm

Quote from Diana_131887 on Aug 8th, 2011, 2:37pm:
Just noticed my card is now in my private gallery (my 1 and only) But Have I read this correctly that -the New way of ordering these custom front photocards will not be working until 9/1? Meaning therefore we should NOT be twittering etc. about this new feature until it's ready for the general public?

Also I picked 1 category - I believe Christmas general or animals photo cards but when I went to check and possibly change or add to a better category I couldn't. I assume that's because it's a private gallery card?

Your are reading it correctly.  Our cards will remain in our Private galleries until 9/1 when the customer version of this software goes live.  So no promoting yet!  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Christie_131341
artist

Reply #109 - Aug 8th, 2011, 8:37pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 7th, 2011, 12:34pm:
Quote from Christie_131341 on Aug 7th, 2011, 12:24pm:

Any insight?
THANKS!

I have experienced the same issue.  The system during preview seems to do an auto-center of the image and I would also prefer it didn't do that.  Like Christie, I've had to enlarge to fit and then wanted to place the image where it looked best but the system centered it.  Its almost a must that the customer be allowed to position without auto-centering or you'll have very frustrated customers, so I'm with Christie can we all have this little fix?

I am glad I am not the only one...thanks Doreen and Joan.
Is this something that will be fixed...should I leave my card with the displaced image as it is and hope there will be a solution before we go online?  

Email   IP Logged
barbara_133221
Gold Member
artist

Reply #110 - Aug 9th, 2011, 6:25am

Hi,
I've got a problem with "autocentering" of photos also.
I have made a design with placeholders for two photos, one on top of the other, with a white thick line between both photos, to give the customer a margin when positioning their photos.
When I make the card, both photos look ok, they are placed within their white surrounding lines and are contained within their transparent boxes.
but when I go to preview mode, one photo is overlapping the other.
Could you please fix this positioning of photos bug?
Thank you Smiley,
best regards,
 Smileybarbara

Email   IP Logged
Natalie_152060
Gold Member
artist

Reply #111 - Aug 9th, 2011, 3:10pm

I'm having some problems with editing.  I realised that I'd uploaded photo card images that were considerably larger than the 1500 x 2100 px needed and I figured that might be the reason why I had no preview for those cards.

On changing the size of one of the photo cards I decided that I didn't like the text font and colour, but so far I've been unable to edit the text and get a sensible preview.  Despite 'saving' my changes the correct preview is not showing when I click the option to view a large preview, prior to clicking that option the text looks very weird indeed, all squished to the side with white lines showing in the defined text area.  

Could someone look into this please?

Thanks

Natalie Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #112 - Aug 10th, 2011, 11:16am

Ok so  I started fixing my photo cards, right? and it starts out really cool, and then somehow, the card ended up from my storefront to my private gallery???? PI 831899??? What did I do wrong???? SO then, my other question is isn't the stock photo/image suppose to show up in the transparent field???? I am so confused.  

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #113 - Aug 10th, 2011, 11:27am

Ok duh, I got it, just a little rusty. So there is a red gingham background where the "pink transparent" layer used to be???? I am I seeing things correctly?? This is a really cool feature.  So will this eliminate custom work??? I guess there will always be some custom work to a degree, just not like before? It is cool - if I can remember what I am doing.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #114 - Aug 10th, 2011, 12:30pm

Quote from Karen_137659 on Aug 10th, 2011, 11:27am:
Ok duh, I got it, just a little rusty. So there is a red gingham background where the "pink transparent" layer used to be???? I am I seeing things correctly?? This is a really cool feature.  So will this eliminate custom work??? I guess there will always be some custom work to a degree, just not like before? It is cool - if I can remember what I am doing.

Hi Karen,

Before you start creating, this is a completely DIFFERENT method of creating photo cards so you should read Mindy's post on page 1 of this thread and in that post is a link to Tom's video tutorial.  

You'll love it!  Enjoy!

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #115 - Aug 10th, 2011, 12:52pm

Here are a few questions that popped into my head while I've been uploading some new custom photo cards for relationship specific.  Here is an example,

If I create a Christmas photo card, I wanted to place two text boxes on the image.
The first text box will state, "Merry Christmas".
The second text box will be for the relationship specific, such as, "Grandma".
In this case, since the buyer can change the relationship specific text box to any relation they want, can I put all those keywords in my keyword box?  
For example, the card will show Grandma, but since the buyer can edit that text box and change the relationship to Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, Aunt, can I put Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, Aunt, etc. in my keywords even though it isn't showing on the card?

If I can't add those specific keywords, and a customer is searching for a Christmas photo card for Mom, they will not find this card because it is temporarily stated for Grandma.  I know we can't normally add those keywords to our normal cards, but for these customizable cards, will there be an exception?  I hope you will consider allowing us to use those extra keywords on this kind of photo cards.

If the answer to adding all those relationship specific keywords is no, then that means I would have to upload this custom photo card x number of times to cover all the relations like we do the old way, which seems to defeat the purpose of the customizable cards.   undecided

Thank you for your help and consideration.  

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #116 - Aug 10th, 2011, 1:07pm

Sheryl,

Looks like this question was answered by Mindy on another thread, you might want to check it out.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1312893916/5#5

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #117 - Aug 10th, 2011, 2:16pm

I have done a few of these photo cards and they do go to my private gallery, but my pending submitted numbers do not go up?  Is that happening to everyone?  It looks like I have not submitted these cards.

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #118 - Aug 10th, 2011, 2:41pm

Yes -at least that's what mine did. Ok'd as private -so not pending.

BUT I wonder if the fall/winter seasonal designs get automatically sorted in a way that the National KIOSK retailer can select our designs. Hm-m-m all very mysterious.

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #119 - Aug 10th, 2011, 3:07pm

Ok...so I use CorelDraw 10 to design my cards. Does anyone else use this???

Can anyone please tell me how to get my design with a transparent image and saved as a PNG????

Please help..... cry

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #120 - Aug 10th, 2011, 3:21pm

Same problem, I use Paint Shop pro 7 and had to search out instructions on the internet to figure out how to.

Found this one for you:  http://coreldraw.com/forums/p/11829/83921.aspx

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #121 - Aug 10th, 2011, 3:42pm

Quote from Diana_131887 on Aug 10th, 2011, 2:41pm:
Yes -at least that's what mine did. Ok'd as private -so not pending.

BUT I wonder if the fall/winter seasonal designs get automatically sorted in a way that the National KIOSK retailer can select our designs. Hm-m-m all very mysterious.

Thanks Diana.  I was wondering if I did something wrong because my pending was not increasing.  Sounds like that is happening to everyone.  About your question, I am sure the retailer will be able to do a sort on the products once they get approved, but not sure how they will see them before approval.  I feel confident that the powers that be (GCU) have this all figured out though.

Happy creating!

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #122 - Aug 10th, 2011, 4:04pm

Myrna,

You're a God-send!!! I think I figured it out...I guess I'll have to wait and see if it passes the review and gets approved problem free!!!

Again, thank you so much for your advice.

Oma

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #123 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:05pm

Oh oh, I  just re-read Mindy's instruction on the first page, she suggests when we create these photo cards we put them in both categories, those for "photo" and the other Category "Season Greeting", well I only put them in "photo" and just now when I tried to edit the category to put them in the "Season Greeting" it will not allow an edit.  No edit after approval, but I was never notified that these front photo cards were approved yet, so therefore I should still be able to edit.  Right or am I wrong?

Someone!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #124 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:19pm

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Aug 10th, 2011, 7:05pm:
Oh oh, I  just re-read Mindy's instruction on the first page, she suggests when we create these photo cards we put them in both categories, those for "photo" and the other Category "Season Greeting", well I only put them in "photo" and just now when I tried to edit the category to put them in the "Season Greeting" it will not allow an edit.  No edit after approval, but I was never notified that these front photo cards were approved yet, so therefore I should still be able to edit.  Right or am I wrong?

Someone!

Somewhere in one of these posts, we were notified that the category editing ability and showing the keywords after creation are two areas that don't seem to be working.  They don't plan on fixing these two issues until the push for 8/15 calms down I imagine.  I wouldn't worry too much about it right now.  Make yourself a note and once this system goes live, send an email to the reviewers with the card PID's and ask them to place in the 2nd category.  I'm sure they would be happy to do that for you Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #125 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:45pm

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Aug 10th, 2011, 7:05pm:

Someone!

Myrna,  
I too wanted to change a category after I submitted, but was unable to.  I understand this function is not available.
I am a little confused about what category these should go in as they could easily go into Collections--Photo Cards--Christmas and also Holidays--Christmas--Photo Cards and also another Christmas category.   I am hoping the reviewers will just put them in the category GCU wants them in to speed up the process...pretty please!  
Does anyone know how long the expedited review time is taking on these cards?  I got a late start and was just wondering.
Thanks

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #126 - Aug 10th, 2011, 7:57pm

I know  - I did the same thing I believe I have it in the phot category but not the seasons greetings or did I put it under christmas phot cards -either way I can't go back in and check or change as it's OK under private. So I hope mine is someplace where it can be found to be selected. Very confusing.

Doreen didn't see your post about this problem yes - I'll do as you suggest. Very sensible.

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #127 - Aug 11th, 2011, 3:37am

Yea it's good to see this coming into fruition! Can.t wait to play with it!!

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #128 - Aug 11th, 2011, 7:44am

Hi, all,

To answer some questions that have been presented here:

Photo cards can be placed in one photo card subcategory (in fact, one category *must* be a photo card) and either another photo card category or a "regular" category. So, a Christmas photo card with a snow man can be placed in either:
Holidays >> Christmas >> Photo Cards / Your Picture Here >> General  
AND
OR
AND
Holidays >> Christmas >> Snowmen / Snowwomen  
The choice is up to the artist.

If your cards aren't where you'd like them, please let us know by putting a message in  
The thread for all found misplaced cards!!! under the Category Help forum. Please be sure to include the card PID and which category you want added/changed.

Photo cards, until Sept 1, are placed in the Private gallery. A reviewer goes through these cards each day. You will only receive a note from us if we make a change or need you to make an adjustment. Otherwise, no notification will be sent.  

I hope I've answered all your questions. Please let us know if you have any other concerns.

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #129 - Aug 11th, 2011, 8:07am

Quote from Card_Review_Team on Aug 11th, 2011, 7:44am:
Hi, all,

Photo cards can be placed in one photo card subcategory (in fact, one category *must* be a photo card) and either another photo card category or a "regular" category. So, a Christmas photo card with a snow man can be placed in either:
AND
OR
AND

If your cards aren't where you'd like them, please let us know by putting a message in
The thread for all found misplaced cards!!! under the Category Help forum. Please be sure to include the card PID and which category you want added/changed.

Photo cards, until Sept 1, are placed in the Private gallery. A reviewer goes through these cards each day. You will only receive a note from us if we make a change or need you to make an adjustment. Otherwise, no notification will be sent.

I hope I've answered all your questions. Please let us know if you have any other concerns.

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Thank you 443!  Its been a crazy week for me and getting to the computer to create in time for the 15th has been a struggle...am I to understand that I can work my fanny off this w/e on these cards and they will be in the running for the Kiosk on the 15th?  Assuming they aren't full of errors of course  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #130 - Aug 11th, 2011, 8:31am

Hi, Doreen!

If you're asking will the review process keep these cards from being seen by the Kiosk company on the 15th, no, it won't. This is a special procedure and cards are essentially approved automatically until we go over them and ask for adjustments, if needed. As an artist, I would go through my photo cards and make sure everything is absolutely perfect. This is an important opportunity for artists and the shining stars (cards) will benefit.  

Reviewer 443

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 11th, 2011, 8:07am:
Hi, all,

AND
OR
AND

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Thank you 443!  Its been a crazy week for me and getting to the computer to create in time for the 15th has been a struggle...am I to understand that I can work my fanny off this w/e on these cards and they will be in the running for the Kiosk on the 15th?  Assuming they aren't full of errors of course  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #131 - Aug 11th, 2011, 8:45am

Thank you for the clarification, makes me feel better!  I'm trying to go over mine with a fine-tooth-comb, so hopefully there won't be any mistakes  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #132 - Aug 11th, 2011, 10:55am

Hi, all,

AND
OR
AND

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Thank you so much 443 for taking the time to answer our questions.  You have really cleared things up for me. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #133 - Aug 13th, 2011, 2:38pm

I have a question for the review team...

I just submitted 2 cards for review because I'm not sure if I'm doing them correctly. I only got one response. Does this mean that I enter both submissions in the wrong format???

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #134 - Aug 18th, 2011, 7:51am

Morning Mindy,
I have been creating some photo cards. I created one for  football team picture. Is it possible to have some stock images of different sprts teams for our photo cards. Thank you so much!!
Sandy
ps I added this one with two of the only sport looking pic 854224

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #135 - Aug 18th, 2011, 12:28pm

Forgive me if this has been asked (but with 9 pages of info, it will take all day to read thru) - but can we only specify a rectangular space for placeholder?  Sad

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #136 - Aug 18th, 2011, 12:31pm

Peggy,
The tool uses only rectangle But you can drag the rectangle over oval, or other shapes and it will work. Just make sure your empty space is covered !
Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #137 - Aug 18th, 2011, 12:52pm

oh goodie!  So while I'm defining the area with the rectangle, my actual transp. area is what is filled?  THANK YOU!

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #138 - Aug 18th, 2011, 12:56pm

Yes  Smiley you are welcome!

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #139 - Aug 18th, 2011, 2:38pm

Hi Mindy,
I do not know if anyone else has mentioned this...When editing the font on the front of the New Photo Cards the white color is not working. It shows as vertical white bars
Thank you,
Sandy Shocked

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #140 - Aug 25th, 2011, 3:01pm

I hope some expert here or tech from GCU will answer this, why is it when I try to add text in my text transparent area, then look at it in the preview it is never in the place I moved it too.  In other words, why do we have the ability to move the text if it MOVES, but doesn't stay moved but instead go wherever it goes in the preview?

I am sure there is an easy explanation, and I am doing something wrong, but what is it.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #141 - Aug 25th, 2011, 5:42pm

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Aug 25th, 2011, 3:01pm:
I hope some expert here or tech from GCU will answer this, why is it when I try to add text in my text transparent area, then look at it in the preview it is never in the place I moved it too.  In other words, why do we have the ability to move the text if it MOVES, but doesn't stay moved but instead go wherever it goes in the preview?

I am sure there is an easy explanation, and I am doing something wrong, but what is it.

I've not had this happen to me at all Myrna.  Perhaps you are not clicking the 'save' button after you move the text and before preview?  Not the Save Project, but anytime you move anything there is a SAVE for that move.  

Does that help?

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #142 - Aug 25th, 2011, 6:14pm

Your right, I haven't been clicking the save, thanks so much!

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #143 - Aug 29th, 2011, 7:23pm

Hi Everyone,

We moved a couple changes live today that should address the following:
1. Shifting issues with the placeholder images - You shouldn't see any shifting when you view the Card Preview.    Please let me know if you do.  

2. Card Preview speed - The card preview should load much quicker now after you make edits and click the link to preview your cards.

Please let me know if you run into any issues or notice any odd behavior.  

Shaun

Email   IP Logged
barbara_133221
Gold Member
artist

Reply #144 - Aug 29th, 2011, 11:28pm

Hi Shaun,
Jaaay!!! Photos now stop being centered and remain in place where I put them
But there still is a problem:
I went back to a couple of cards I had made.
Made some changes (put photo where I want it ie not centered) and saved. Then I went into the "view card preview" mode. The old card (ie with the cut-off photo) appeared. It took some time till the new (not centered photo) appeared. this can be confusing for a customer as they will keep on seeing the card how they positioned it the first time when saving, even after having  made changes to position of photo. It takes some 10 or 15 seconds approx. till the new positioned card turns up in the "view card preview" mode (I'm on broadband). A customer might think that the changes they made are not valid..... and will reposition again..... and again.... as old image keeps on appearing for the first 10 seconds in the "view card preview" mode till the correctly placed photo appears.....Hope I make sense and you can understand what I mean.
Cheers,
 Smileybarbara

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2011, 7:11pm by Shaun_131054 »  
Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #145 - Aug 30th, 2011, 7:22am

Shaun, there still seems to be a problem when using the white font color.  When I created my cards a week ago, the white text would appear all scrunched up like a bar code.  Because of that problem, I selected an off white font color instead which is not the color I wanted.

So today, I went back to edit some of those off white font cards to change them to a white font color.  On the card, I have two text boxes.  The first text box stated, Happy Holidays.  The second text box stated, The Smith Family.  While I was changing the font color from off white to white, only the tops of the words were appearing.  This makes it difficult to align and place the text boxes because I can't see if they are over lapping.  When I went to generate a preview, the off white color was still there and then it finally popped up with the white.  So the problem lies in the create the text area.

Thank you ... Sher

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #146 - Aug 30th, 2011, 3:08pm

Quote from Sheryl_133470 on Aug 30th, 2011, 7:22am:
Shaun, there still seems to be a problem when using the white font color.  When I created my cards a week ago, the white text would appear all scrunched up like a bar code.  Because of that problem, I selected an off white font color instead which is not the color I wanted.

So today, I went back to edit some of those off white font cards to change them to a white font color.  On the card, I have two text boxes.  The first text box stated, Happy Holidays.  The second text box stated, The Smith Family.  While I was changing the font color from off white to white, only the tops of the words were appearing.  This makes it difficult to align and place the text boxes because I can't see if they are over lapping.  When I went to generate a preview, the off white color was still there and then it finally popped up with the white.  So the problem lies in the create the text area.

Thank you ... Sher

Hi Sheryl,  this is actually something that we're still working to correct.  We hope to have this fixed within the next couple of days.   Thanks for the feedback!

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #147 - Aug 30th, 2011, 7:11pm

Quote from barbara_133221 on Aug 29th, 2011, 11:28pm:
Hi Shaun,
Jaaay!!! Photos now stop being centered and remain in place where I put them
But there still is a problem:
I went back to a couple of cards I had made.
Made some changes (put photo where I want it ie not centered) and saved. Then I went into the "view card preview" mode. The old card (ie with the cut-off photo) appeared. It took some time till the new (not centered photo) appeared. this can be confusing for a customer as they will keep on seeing the card how they positioned it the first time when saving, even after having  made changes to position of photo. It takes some 10 or 15 seconds approx. till the new positioned card turns up in the "view card preview" mode (I'm on broadband). A customer might think that the changes they made are not valid..... and will reposition again..... and again.... as old image keeps on appearing for the first 10 seconds in the "view card preview" mode till the correctly placed photo appears.....Hope I make sense and you can understand what I mean.
Cheers,
Smileybarbara

Thanks for the feedback Barbara.  We'll look into this, our own tests showed the image was loading faster than before when you click the Card Preview popup.  I'm just curious, are you located outside of the United States?  If so I wonder if this has an effect on the load time.  

Has anyone else noticed any changes in the time it takes for your images to be updated when you click the Card Preview link?  Your feedback would be greatly appreciated  Smiley  

Shaun

Email   IP Logged
barbara_133221
Gold Member
artist

Reply #148 - Aug 31st, 2011, 12:24am

Hi Shaun,
I live in Germany. I'm on broadband. It is faster than it was previously, but still so slow, that a customer might think that changes made are not valid.
 Smileybarbara

Email   IP Logged
barbara_133221
Gold Member
artist

Reply #149 - Aug 31st, 2011, 1:13am

Hi Shaun,
Another problem just occured. Made a photo card - saved. In preview mode and manage card mode can not see the photo - it is extremely blurred  Shocked
 Smileybarbara

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #150 - Aug 31st, 2011, 5:56am

I have not made any photo cards in a few days, but this a.m. I was trying to change the image on older photo cards and then update with text on front.  It has been a nightmare just trying to do one.  For some reason when I try to save the text, it does not save when I hit the save button.  Eventually, I was able to convince the text to show up--even though it never looked like it saved it.  Also, the generating preview is taking forever.  Previously, this was not taking all that long.  I have a high speed internet connection (using IE9 and a PC) and would expect it to load much quicker...I even just left in the middle because it was taking too long.  I think I will abandon my efforts for now in the hopes that it will be quicker a little later in the day.  Thanks for listening.
Kathy  

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2011, 7:24am by Kathy_131728 »  

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #151 - Aug 31st, 2011, 7:14am

Hi Shaun,
Just tried to update a graduation photo card and I'm still getting the photo off from where I placed it after enlarging it.  Card #598723.  It looks fine until I "view card preview" where it shows up not centered in the card's photo frame as I had arranged it.  I was sure to save at each step.  The final version is also off.

All text was working fine.

Using Firefox 6.0 all (updated) on Mac 10.5.8

Thanks,
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #152 - Aug 31st, 2011, 9:29am

Just wanted to let you know it seems to be behaving better now. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Lora_133020
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #153 - Aug 31st, 2011, 12:13pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 10th, 2011, 1:07pm:
Sheryl,

Looks like this question was answered by Mindy on another thread, you might want to check it out.

My question is similar to this but regarding the year. Like "Happy 2011" . Can we put "Happy 20XX" instead? This way the customer can customize it, but it will not become obsolete in a year and need to be redone.  

Whatcha think?
L

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #154 - Aug 31st, 2011, 12:33pm

Quote from Lora_133020 on Aug 31st, 2011, 12:13pm:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 10th, 2011, 1:07pm:
Sheryl,

My question is similar to this but regarding the year. Like "Happy 2011" . Can we put "Happy 20XX" instead? This way the customer can customize it, but it will not become obsolete in a year and need to be redone.

Whatcha think?
L

Lora, this is a great question.  I've been wondering the same thing.  I don't know about X's, but it is certainly a solution.  I've made some cards with the date (wedding + baby announcements) and thought to myself, 'I'm going to have to remember to update these later.'  

Nothing looks worse than going to browse the photo cards (or any cards for that matter) only to see that they're "years" old.  (I looked at some photo cards on other sites and there was text from 2009!)  It doesn't give the customer the impression that these are fresh designs, now does it?

Yes, what to do about this?

Again, thanks for bringing this up!

Penny Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #155 - Aug 31st, 2011, 2:49pm

On Zazzle, I often use 2020.  I started out like many do on Zazzle using the XX and Your Name Here, I've got to tell you customers are not drawn to that.  I sell much better on personalized items using real information.  The reason I use 2020 on Zazzle is because it looks better than 20XX and it's in the future rather than the past.  The issue is that Zazzle does not allow you to change that type of information without deleting and creating a new card, so you lose the place its moved up to via sale and searches.

On GCU however, we can change the image each year without losing it's statistics, so here I use the real year for the same reason.  People are much more likely to visual and purchase if its realistic.

That's what I do Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #156 - Sep 1st, 2011, 10:53am

Quote from Mindy on Aug 4th, 2011, 3:35pm:
Today we are announcing a new card creation process that enables artists to create Custom Front Cards allowing shoppers to customize the front card images and text on their own!  The first introduction of this process is Custom Photo Cards (with an option to customize text).  Soon after we'll release a Custom Front for text only option.

Big benefits!  This will take artists out of the loop of customizing photo cards and minimize wait time for shoppers.  Also this will allow GCU to readily offer a collection of Photo Cards for 3rd party sales.  It is clear that customizable cards is a fast growing trend for card shoppers and GCU needs to be a player in this space.

Starting September 1st, GCU will be:
1.  Introducing a new shopper Custom Front interface allowing shoppers to customize these cards on their own
2.  Taking down all “old style” photo cards and returning them to artists for edits.  These are photo cards that have been created and uploaded to GCU to date.  Please consider revising these existing photo cards (updating them with the new PNG format) and creating new ones for all occasions and holidays with this new process.   We will provide specific instructions in a separate post on how to easily revise existing cards without having to go through the entire create a card process from scratch.
3.  Moving all new style photo cards from Private to Public (*see  below)

BEFORE September 1st:
We are currently working with a national photo retailer to feature GCU Photo Card content on their store kiosks.  In order for your photo cards to be considered for this partner’s 2011 winter holiday sales we are putting a specific call out for new photo cards in the following categories that need to be created AND approved BEFORE 9/1.  They will begin their selection process starting August 15th so hurry, the early bird catches the worm!  * Up until 9/1 new Custom Front cards will be auto-set for Private and automatically get expedited review:  
-    Halloween
-    Thanksgiving
-    Christmas (religious and non religious)
-    Season’s Greetings
-    Hanukkah
-    Kwanzaa
-    New Year’s

Important Steps in the new process:
1.  Create your card design with transparent areas (for photo insertion) and upload in PNG format (JPG is not accepted for Custom Front Cards)
2.  In the Create a Card process note a new field, “Card Front” with options Standard and Custom.  Choose Custom.
3.  Next are 3 steps to define the Custom Front process:    
  a. define the transparent area(s) zone where the photo(s) should be placed
  b. select and position a stock place holder image (from GCU’s provided collection)
  c. define and create custom text (optional)
4.  Until 9/1 all Custom Front cards will be auto-set to Private for expedited review & reside in Private Galleries until we introduce the Custom Front shopper interface scheduled for 9/1
5.  Note: different than before, new card images with custom content (photos and/or text) that you upload to GCU should NOT have any place holder or instructional text like “contact artist” or “your photo here” on the image.

The following video from GCUWiki.com demonstrates the process for creating a Custom Front card: http://www.gcuwiki.com/gcuu.html  

Please let us know if you have any questions and looking forward to your new creations!    And as usual please let us know if you notice any odd happenings or gremlins.

UPDATE:  We are in the process of final testing of the shopper custom front interface that will allow shoppers to do the customization themselves on these new cards.

We have pushed the 9/1 date out to Wed, 9/7 at Noon PST.

New Custom Front cards will go live from Private to Public and old photo cards offline at that time.

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #157 - Sep 1st, 2011, 6:27pm

Thanks for the update Mindy!!!

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #158 - Sep 3rd, 2011, 9:44pm

"2.  Taking down all “old style” photo cards and returning them to artists for edits.  These are photo cards that have been created and uploaded to GCU to date.  Please consider revising these existing photo cards (updating them with the new PNG format) and creating new ones for all occasions and holidays with this new process.   We will provide specific instructions in a separate post on how to easily revise existing cards without having to go through the entire create a card process from scratch."

Do I need to make a list of the old style photo cards I'd like returned? I've been waiting for them to be returned, nothing yet! I've got quite a few and it sure would streamline things for me in reformatting/revising them to png files!

Thanks so much for your time,
Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #159 - Sep 4th, 2011, 7:28am

Quote from Cherie_131661 on Sep 3rd, 2011, 9:44pm:
"2.  Taking down all “old style” photo cards and returning them to artists for edits.  These are photo cards that have been created and uploaded to GCU to date.  Please consider revising these existing photo cards (updating them with the new PNG format) and creating new ones for all occasions and holidays with this new process.   We will provide specific instructions in a separate post on how to easily revise existing cards without having to go through the entire create a card process from scratch."

Do I need to make a list of the old style photo cards I'd like returned? I've been waiting for them to be returned, nothing yet! I've got quite a few and it sure would streamline things for me in reformatting/revising them to png files!

Cherie

Hi Cherie, I already updated all mine ... I saw no reason to wait for them to be returned, I'd rather fix them and have them go live along with the new ones.  Less work for the review team to just get going on revising them, the revised cards will automatically go into Private status along with the new ones.

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #160 - Sep 5th, 2011, 6:43am

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Sep 4th, 2011, 7:28am:
Quote from Cherie_131661 on Sep 3rd, 2011, 9:44pm:

Cherie

Hi Cherie, I already updated all mine ... I saw no reason to wait for them to be returned, I'd rather fix them and have them go live along with the new ones.  Less work for the review team to just get going on revising them, the revised cards will automatically go into Private status along with the new ones.

I saw no reason to wait either, I updated the ones that I could. Unfortunately, I don't have all of those files any longer, as the computer that had these designs on it crashed about a year ago.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #161 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:18pm

Here are some recent clarifications and guidelines for Custom Front card creation:

We will allow photo cards and custom front cards to be created along the same guidelines as regular, non custom front, cards.  This means that although shoppers can change the text on the cover of a custom front card and essentially make it into anything they want, artists can still create more than one version of that card to allow for good exposure within the related categories and search.  This will give fair exposure to both custom front cards and traditional “fixed front” cards.

All of the same card submission guidelines apply however with these exceptions for Photo Cards:
1.  Photo Cards will be allowed the same design in both orientation (horizontal & vertical) in addition to the 3x rules (often shoppers have a specific photo they want to work with).
2.  Reviewers will be MORE stringent on making sure designs are appropriate for the occasion, age, gender, relation, etc.  Not a one size fits all approach
3.  Photo Cards must reside in at least 1 >> Photo Card / Your Picture Here category
4.  A different placeholder photo does not make your design a different card, you must change something in the design or text

Note that creating multiple cards with custom fronts from the same basic design is easier than creating multiple cards with fixed fronts since you do not have to create and upload a new file but use the same file and just change the custom front text.  However you are limited on design tools and fonts with custom fronts vs fixed front designs, so there’s a tradeoff.

Please also note these new Marketability Guidelines specific to Photo Cards.  Designs should:

1. Be creative, compositions should use creative and appropriate framing/treatment around or enhancing the photo.  Specifically: Photo area should serve as the focal point of the overall design. Compositional emphasis should be on the photo, not other elements on the card. In other words, the design shouldn’t look like the artist took an existing greeting card, and shoehorned a photo on it.  Preferably, smaller photo areas should be framed in a way that makes sense with the rest of the design.  Shape of photo area, if not generic (circle, square, rectangle) should be in keeping with the purpose of the card (for example, a Christmas tree shaped area on a Valentine’s Day card would be in error).

2. Maximize the photo size as the focal point.   Specifically: Entire photo area (a single photo or multiple photos) should ideally use 1/3 to 1/2 of the card’s surface. Exceptions will be made for exceptional designs.

3. NOT a one size fits all approach.  If design is used to create multiple cards, elements should vary and be appropriate by occasion, age, relation, gender  

Please let us know if you have any questions.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #162 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:30pm

Thanks for new guidelines on the Custom Front Cards Mindy.

Just one question for now... is the deadline date still on for tomorrow??? Because if it is, then I don't think that I have alot of time to adjust and add new cards to my Custom Front list.

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #163 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:30pm

Hi, Mindy,

I would like to ask if it would be considered a terrible imposition to submit a rather lengthy list of category modification requests at this particular moment. I have updated the several dozen old-style photo cards that I had and realized that they are all in photo card categories, which were the only ones permitted before. Now that we have the possibility of using one category in a more defined or descriptive fashion (which I happily applied to all the new photo cards I've made) but cannot make this change ourselves, may  we request these adjustments? Or, should we perhaps wait until a more opportune time? And, what would the best procedure be? Any guidance on this point would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's remarkable, this brave new world that GCU is entering. The process has been incredible, the programmers and everybody have been doing wonderful magic - I find it all quite exciting and feel as if we're poised on the brink of something great! Wonderful to be a part of it.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #164 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:34pm

Quote from Oma_132016 on Sep 6th, 2011, 5:30pm:
Thanks for new guidelines on the Custom Front Cards Mindy.

Just one question for now... is the deadline date still on for tomorrow??? Because if it is, then I don't think that I have alot of time to adjust and add new cards to my Custom Front list.

Oma.

The move is still planned for 9/7 at noon however you can still submit custom front cards after that date.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #165 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:35pm

Quote from Joan_135833 on Sep 6th, 2011, 5:30pm:
Hi, Mindy,

I would like to ask if it would be considered a terrible imposition to submit a rather lengthy list of category modification requests at this particular moment. I have updated the several dozen old-style photo cards that I had and realized that they are all in photo card categories, which were the only ones permitted before. Now that we have the possibility of using one category in a more defined or descriptive fashion (which I happily applied to all the new photo cards I've made) but cannot make this change ourselves, may  we request these adjustments? Or, should we perhaps wait until a more opportune time? And, what would the best procedure be? Any guidance on this point would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's remarkable, this brave new world that GCU is entering. The process has been incredible, the programmers and everybody have been doing wonderful magic - I find it all quite exciting and feel as if we're poised on the brink of something great! Wonderful to be a part of it.

Hi Joan,
No worries.  Simply send a list to the card review team and they'll add the second fitting category for you as you've specified.  Be sure to have a clear list of pid#s.   send to cardreview @ greetingcarduniverse.com as usual.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #166 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:37pm

Thank you so much, Mindy!

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #167 - Sep 6th, 2011, 5:40pm

Thanks Mindy,

I can't wait to add more Custom Front Cards. I hope that this venture is profitable for both GCU and all the artists who've been working so hard on these particular designs. Either way, I had alot of fun designing cards these last 2 weeks!

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #168 - Sep 6th, 2011, 6:39pm

Hi Mindy,  

I do have one additional question; I tried a couple weeks ago to use this new process for a text only customization and it allowed me to do this on one card, then from that point it demanded I create an area for a photo - which this card did not have - so I'm guessing the one that got through was a fluke.

Is this customization without photo now something we can do?  I love the idea because it gets rid of the need for a ton of cards with people's names on them and allows us to change those cards we currently offer as personalized by custom request with no further effort on our part Smiley

Just need to know if this part of the programming is now online . . . thanks in advance for your answer.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #169 - Sep 7th, 2011, 5:17pm

The move has taken place!  Here are the changes:

1.  Shoppers can now customize new Custom Front cards themselves – yippee!  
     a. We will soon be adding a graphic to custom front cards so shoppers will know at a glance which ones they can customize  on their own and which ones they can’t

2.  Old style Photo Cards have been taken offline and returned to artists as Returned for Edits if you’d like to modify into the new style Photo Cards and resubmit for re-review

3.  New style Photo Cards that were approved in Private galleries have been moved Public

4.  From now on New Custom Front Cards you create will be business as usual meaning they will NOT be auto-set for the Private gallery  

Please let us know if you see any odd happenings or cards are not where they should be.  

Take a peek at the photo cards in your store and see that those that should still be private are private, those that should be public have moved public and those that are old style have been taken offline.  

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #170 - Sep 7th, 2011, 8:21pm

Hi,

I just updated a returned for edits Easter photo card #584830 and for some reason when I  refreshed my screen, the card went back to my private gallery (and make available in private gallery only is checked).  I would like to resubmit this card for review.   Would you please change to resubmit for me.

Thank you,
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #171 - Sep 7th, 2011, 8:55pm

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Sep 7th, 2011, 8:21pm:
Hi,

I just updated a returned for edits Easter photo card #584830 and for some reason when I  refreshed my screen, the card went back to my private gallery (and make available in private gallery only is checked).  I would like to resubmit this card for review.   Would you please change to resubmit for me.

I had the same thing happen too with PID# 859128. It's stuck in my private gallery and I can't resubmit it. If I could have mine changed too, I'd appreciate it.  

Thank you, Tracie

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #172 - Sep 7th, 2011, 11:40pm

I posted this on another thread but thought I would copy it to here in case more members are reading this one.

Admin are looking into this problem for me but I thought in the meantime someone here might be able to help if they've had the same problem before.

Here is what I am doing and here is what is happening.
I'm working on my photo cards that have been returned for edit so that they will be in the new photo card system.

1 I'm opening the original file on my computer, put a transparency where the photo goes and saving as a PNG.
2 Uploading PNG file to GCU.
3 Replacing the image on the card with the new PNG image. Clicking *custom* card
4 Edit front of card giving transparency area and adding temporary photo.
5 Adding/editing text.
6 Resubmit card

I think I've done it right so far.

Now here is my problem.
A card I submitted for review came back saying that they could not see the image.

When I go to manage cards and and click on a card I see no image either but when I go to *edit front of card* I do see the image and the temporary photo that I placed there in step 4 above.

I'm not sure why I can't see an image in *edit* but can see it in *edit front of card* and the reviewers aren't seeing the image either.

I've done about 20 cards and all having same thing happen.  

So any guesses?

Thanks

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #173 - Sep 8th, 2011, 3:33am

Hi Cheryl,

I use CorelDraw and had the same problem at first. I spent over a week trying to figure out why they weren't seeing the image and why it wasn't showing up in the MANAGE CARDS section. The after readjusting things over and over...I realised that I was selecting the whole card as a transparency...not just the spots I needed transparent.

In Corel there is a preview button that I can click on before I save as a PNG. I use that now to make sure it's not the whole thing I selected by mistake.

I hope this was helpful. But if you're using a different program...it might be a different issue.

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #174 - Sep 8th, 2011, 7:05am

Quote from cheryl_133782 on Sep 7th, 2011, 11:40pm:

A card I submitted for review came back saying that they could not see the image.

When I go to manage cards and and click on a card I see no image either but when I go to *edit front of card* I do see the image and the temporary photo that I placed there in step 4 above.

I'm not sure why I can't see an image in *edit* but can see it in *edit front of card* and the reviewers aren't seeing the image either.

Cheryl

I've had the same exact problem here as well when creating photo cards. Since the image was only showing up in the preview and nowhere else, I ended up deleting them before they could be seen by the reviewers. . .

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #175 - Sep 8th, 2011, 7:25am

Quote from cheryl_133782 on Sep 7th, 2011, 11:40pm:
I posted this on another thread but thought I would copy it to here in case more members are reading this one.

Admin are looking into this problem for me but I thought in the meantime someone here might be able to help if they've had the same problem before.

Here is what I am doing and here is what is happening.
I'm working on my photo cards that have been returned for edit so that they will be in the new photo card system.

1 I'm opening the original file on my computer, put a transparency where the photo goes and saving as a PNG.
2 Uploading PNG file to GCU.
3 Replacing the image on the card with the new PNG image. Clicking *custom* card
4 Edit front of card giving transparency area and adding temporary photo.
5 Adding/editing text.
6 Resubmit card

I think I've done it right so far.

Now here is my problem.

So any guesses?

Thanks

Cheryl

This 'view' in Edit Card has been the same for me.  It appears, that with the current programming, we can not see any of the personalized info - Placeholder Photo or Text - when in Edit Card Mode UNTIL you click on Edit Front.  It would be nice if this could be fixed, but it doesn't mean the placeholder isn't there.

Only once did I go through the create a card process and notice in the Manage Cards view that there was no placeholder image.  I opened it in Card Edit, brought it back into Photo Card Editor, Saved the Project again and all was fine.

So, it isn't you Cheryl.  I do think that it might be a glitch that occasionally causes a placeholder image to not show up, but as a rule of thumb . . . if you can see the placeholder image on your Manage Cards page, then the card should be fine.  If there is no placeholder showing on your card when viewed on the Manage Cards page then bring it through the process and save project again before deleting the card.

Definitely some bugs to still work out  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #176 - Sep 8th, 2011, 8:24am

Although I love the new photo cards, I just had a yikes moment.  I was going through all the new photo cards I created and realized some of the keywords had been cut off.  I was fixing this situation when I realized that every card I had fixed had reverted back to my private gallery.  Yikes!!!  Can you please move 850199, 850230, 850385 and 850733 back to public view?  I think I will abandon my keyword task until these cards stay public when you update keywords.  Thank you.    

Edited to add:  Thank you so much to reviewer 443 who has already added these cards back to public view.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #177 - Sep 8th, 2011, 9:56am

Quote from Mindy on Sep 6th, 2011, 5:35pm:
Quote from Joan_135833 on Sep 6th, 2011, 5:30pm:
Hi, Mindy,

Hi Joan,
No worries.  Simply send a list to the card review team and they'll add the second fitting category for you as you've specified.  Be sure to have a clear list of pid#s.   send to cardreview @ greetingcarduniverse.com as usual.

We'll dig into these issues asap today.  Thanks for your reports and patience!

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #178 - Sep 8th, 2011, 9:59am

My card # 830013 somehow missed the transition from private to public; I'd be most grateful to have it become a public item.

I noticed that clicking on the Photo Cards navigation button (top right) goes to the old photo cards page, with several categories and examples of cards in the now old style, requiring artist intervention. Hovering over that same button shows a menu of five up-to-date categories. Will a ". . . more card categories" choice also be added there, as it is in all the other categories across the top navigation bar? I think it might give the impression that there are only five groups of photo cards otherwise.

Thanks very much.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #179 - Sep 8th, 2011, 10:53am

I just created two new photo cards and they defaulted into my Private Gallery.  Aren't they suppose to show Status Pending-Submitted instead?

I love that you are offering these new customizable photo cards.  Smiley  Thank you for adding this new feature to GCU.

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #180 - Sep 8th, 2011, 11:10am

I am not sure if this is where you would like request for photo card category changes.  You have added many new photo card categories since I made my old photo cards and would like them added to a second appropriate category.

Please add grandparents day photo cards 472902, 472904, 472905 to second category: collections>photo cards/your picture here>grandparents day.

Please let us know if this is the appropriate place to request these changes or should we use the Category Help thread?

Thanks so much.
Kati  

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #181 - Sep 8th, 2011, 11:32am

Quote from Sheryl_133470 on Sep 8th, 2011, 10:53am:
I just created two new photo cards and they defaulted into my Private Gallery.  Aren't they suppose to show Status Pending-Submitted instead?

I love that you are offering these new customizable photo cards.  Smiley  Thank you for adding this new feature to GCU.

Sher

This is a bug that was noted somewhere here yesterday Sher.  Just send an email to the reviewers with the PID and let them know so they can be sure it gets into the review queue.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #182 - Sep 8th, 2011, 11:55am

Hi, Joan!
Please recheck your PID for this card and send to cardreview@greetingcarduniverse.com
This PID is for another artist's card.

Thanks!
Reviewer 443

Quote from Joan_135833 on Sep 8th, 2011, 9:59am:
My card # 830013 somehow missed the transition from private to public; I'd be most grateful to have it become a public item.

I noticed that clicking on the Photo Cards navigation button (top right) goes to the old photo cards page, with several categories and examples of cards in the now old style, requiring artist intervention. Hovering over that same button shows a menu of five up-to-date categories. Will a ". . . more card categories" choice also be added there, as it is in all the other categories across the top navigation bar? I think it might give the impression that there are only five groups of photo cards otherwise.

Thanks very much.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #183 - Sep 8th, 2011, 11:59am

Yes, as Doreen said below, please send the PIDs via an email to cardreview@greetingcarduniverse.com if your photo card is flagged "Private" vs "Public". Please place "Photo Card/Public" (without the quotation marks) in the subject line.

Thanks!
Reviewer 443

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Sep 8th, 2011, 11:32am:
Quote from Sheryl_133470 on Sep 8th, 2011, 10:53am:

Sher

This is a bug that was noted somewhere here yesterday Sher.  Just send an email to the reviewers with the PID and let them know so they can be sure it gets into the review queue.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #184 - Sep 8th, 2011, 12:02pm

Thank you Doreen and Reviewer 443.  Smiley  I appreciate your help.

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #185 - Sep 8th, 2011, 12:14pm

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a difference in size with the photo card dimensions on the site being slightly larger than the 1500 x 2100 size we use when we design our cards?  When I upload my 1500 x 2100 png photo file to the site, there is a hair line of the transparent background showing along the side of my cards.  Then when I put a place holder image behind my png file and it extends beyond the edges of my card design, there is an odd bit of the place holder photo showing along the side of my card.  

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #186 - Sep 8th, 2011, 12:45pm

Quote from Card_Review_Team on Sep 8th, 2011, 11:55am:
Hi, Joan!
Please recheck your PID for this card and send to cardreview@greetingcarduniverse.com
This PID is for another artist's card.

Thanks!
Reviewer 443

Quote from Joan_135833 on Sep 8th, 2011, 9:59am:

Thanks very much.

Ah, yes, that 0 is right next to the 9 on the keyboard; funny thing about that. Thank you, will do as advised!

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #187 - Sep 8th, 2011, 1:01pm

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Sep 8th, 2011, 11:10am:
I am not sure if this is where you would like request for photo card category changes.  You have added many new photo card categories since I made my old photo cards and would like them added to a second appropriate category.

Please add grandparents day photo cards 472902, 472904, 472905 to second category: collections>photo cards/your picture here>grandparents day.

Please let us know if this is the appropriate place to request these changes or should we use the Category Help thread?

Thanks so much.
Kati  

Either a note to the review team with details or posting on the thread for misplaced cards here:  http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1237234887

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #188 - Sep 8th, 2011, 2:23pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Sep 6th, 2011, 6:39pm:
Hi Mindy,

I do have one additional question; I tried a couple weeks ago to use this new process for a text only customization and it allowed me to do this on one card, then from that point it demanded I create an area for a photo - which this card did not have - so I'm guessing the one that got through was a fluke.

Is this customization without photo now something we can do?  I love the idea because it gets rid of the need for a ton of cards with people's names on them and allows us to change those cards we currently offer as personalized by custom request with no further effort on our part Smiley

Just need to know if this part of the programming is now online . . . thanks in advance for your answer.

Hi Doreen,  
This will be coming at a later date - custom fronts w/o photo cards.

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #189 - Sep 8th, 2011, 4:22pm

Just wanted to thank Mindy and the GCU team for giving us this great opportunity to expand our portfolio and greeting card range.

THANK YOU ALL!!! WE KNOW HOW HARD YOU GUYS WORK!!!

I knew that the Custom Front Cards would be a great seller.....I've just sold my very first one about an hour ago!

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #190 - Sep 8th, 2011, 4:57pm

Congratulations Oma on selling your first photo card.  It is a really cute card by the way.  That is just the start of some big sales.  Smiley

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #191 - Sep 8th, 2011, 7:08pm

Thanks Sheryl,

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's had sales in the Photo Card department. There are so many amazing designs. I'm sure you'll post your first sale soon too!  

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #192 - Sep 9th, 2011, 2:07pm

We have made the correction to the process for new Custom Front cards to no longer be auto-set for Private but to Pending-Submitted. Thank you for your patience and for the review team making all of the requested moves!

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #193 - Sep 11th, 2011, 11:37am

Hi, all,

AND
OR
AND

Regards,
Reviewer 443

This is good to know.    I haven't received notices in my email that this thread has been updated (only found out from a link Corrie had in her "Before & After" photo card article), so I have a LOT of reading to do today.  lol

Thanks,
Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #194 - Sep 12th, 2011, 5:46am

OOoops, well, one of mine went in there, it's still showing up in my Private Cards section!

Thank you!

Cherie

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #195 - Sep 16th, 2011, 6:01am

Quote from Mindy on Sep 8th, 2011, 2:23pm:
Hi Mindy,

Hi Doreen,

Just wondering. . . when this next move comes about, would you advise us to change our existing age-specific/person specific cards so that the customer can customise them, or just leave them as they are and make the new ones customisable?

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #196 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:13pm

Hello, everyone!

I would like to make a suggestion that, I hope, will help us in adding text to our cards:

Would it be possible to add an outline, much like the print/margin preview page, to the card creation page?  That way we can see exactly where the bleed and trim lines are and that would make it so much easier to determine how much space we have to work with in placing the custom text box.

After I make a card, I do go back and look at the print/margin preview page, just to make sure, but it would be a step saver if we had this tool on the card creation page.

Just as a tip to anyone interested:  I've been adding elements which I use as visual clues to outline where I want my text to be.  Say, I have a flower on one side and my signature on the other.  If I know that the bottom of the flower and edge of my signature are at the 'red dotted line' on the template, I can add my text box between those two elements and be fairly certain that it's in the right place.  Then of course, I double check it in the preview.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #197 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:19pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Sep 16th, 2011, 12:13pm:

I would like to make a suggestion that, I hope, will help us in adding text to our cards:

Would it be possible to add an outline, much like the print/margin preview page, to the card creation page?  That way we can see exactly where the bleed and trim lines are and that would make it so much easier to determine how much space we have to work with in placing the custom text box.

Yes, please!

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #198 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:22pm

Thanks, Joan!

Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mike_154103
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #199 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:34pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Sep 16th, 2011, 12:13pm:

Just as a tip to anyone interested:  I've been adding elements which I use as visual clues to outline where I want my text to be.  Say, I have a flower on one side and my signature on the other.  If I know that the bottom of the flower and edge of my signature are at the 'red dotted line' on the template, I can add my text box between those two elements and be fairly certain that it's in the right place.  Then of course, I double check it in the preview.

Very smart tip, Penny...Thanks!  
Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #200 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:46pm

It would be really nice to have a grid available over the photo card, so it would be easier for us to  

line up the text boxes.  Smiley

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #201 - Sep 28th, 2011, 1:43pm

Hello!

Not to be a total pain -- partial pain is what I'm striving for -- could we please, possibly, if it's not too much trouble, have some guides for placing our text boxes?

Please?

There might be a peanut butter cookie in it for you.

Thanks for reading,

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cherie_131661
artist

Reply #202 - Sep 29th, 2011, 5:37am

It'd be even better if my photo image would stay there too! As soon as I click on my image it disappears. So, I have to guess where my placeholder image goes, I have to guess where my text goes ... is this happening to anyone else?

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #203 - Sep 29th, 2011, 6:12am

Quote from Cherie_131661 on Sep 29th, 2011, 5:37am:
It'd be even better if my photo image would stay there too! As soon as I click on my image it disappears. So, I have to guess where my placeholder image goes, I have to guess where my text goes ... is this happening to anyone else?

Hi, Cherie,

I'm not having any disappearances, thankfully, but I know that others have mentioned this issue, too.  You're not alone.

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #204 - Sep 29th, 2011, 7:44pm

Quote from Sheryl_133470 on Aug 8th, 2011, 12:31pm:
When you pull your image into photoshop it becomes the first layer.  That layer is not editable!
Next highlight the second layer again and use the Rectangle Marquee tool to draw out a rectangle over your image.

Select the drop down arrow in the Format box and then scroll down until you see the png option

I hope this helps.
Sher

Thank You for these very clear instructions Sheryl.  I am not doing photo cards but this is the information that I needed to do 'T' shirts.  I could never figure out what I was doing wrong  Grin.

Email   IP Logged
Sheryl_133470
Gold Member
artist

Reply #205 - Sep 29th, 2011, 7:55pm

Glad to know my directions for saving images as a png file helped you Norval!    Good luck with your t-shirts.  Hope you sell tons of them. Smiley

Sher

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #206 - Sep 29th, 2011, 8:04pm

Quote from Norval_132688 on Sep 29th, 2011, 7:44pm:
Quote from Sheryl_133470 on Aug 8th, 2011, 12:31pm:

I hope this helps.
Sher

Thank You for these very clear instructions Sheryl.  I am not doing photo cards but this is the information that I needed to do 'T' shirts.  I could never figure out what I was doing wrong  Grin.

Sher's instructions are just perfect . . . I want to clarify one little thing when you Merge the layers, MERGE VISIBLE, this will ensure your transparent spot stays that way if you have other layers you forgot about open  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #207 - Oct 14th, 2011, 3:36pm

Quote from Judy_139270 on Sep 16th, 2011, 6:01am:
Quote from Mindy on Sep 8th, 2011, 2:23pm:
Hi Mindy,

Hi Doreen,

Just wondering. . . when this next move comes about, would you advise us to change our existing age-specific/person specific cards so that the customer can customise them, or just leave them as they are and make the new ones customisable?

Text only Custom Front cards are now ready for you to create!  You'll go through a similar process as you have for photo cards just without the transparent areas and placeholder photos.  

To answer Judy's question, no we do not recommend you change your existing cards (like age specific series) to the new style.  Keep what you have and just create more new designs.  One leg up your non-custom text designs have is more control and a wider range of fonts.  

We'll post this announcement also in it's own bulletin.

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #208 - Oct 14th, 2011, 3:49pm

Wow! Super, great, triffic!  Smiley

Thanks, Mindy!

(One further question, am I right in thinking these can be jpegs or do they also need to be .png files?)

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #209 - Oct 14th, 2011, 3:56pm

Quote from Judy_139270 on Oct 14th, 2011, 3:49pm:
Wow! Super, great, triffic!  Smiley

Thanks, Mindy!

(One further question, am I right in thinking these can be jpegs or do they also need to be .png files?)

Good question!  Yes you are right, they can be JPEGS.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #210 - Oct 14th, 2011, 4:46pm

Hi, Mindy, and thank you! This is another wonderful development. I felt compelled to make one of these immediately, as a little celebration, and I found myself wondering what you would advise concerning categorization. If, for example, the card could now be addressing any number of recipients (by virtue of the changes made by the customer), should we simply pick a category and follow through with keywords, the rest of the message, etc., as if it were for that specific choice? I realize that shoppers can see, while browsing, that they have the possibility to customize the card front, but I suppose I'm asking how we should present these cards and how they will be located.

Thanks in advance for further guidelines and once again for this great enhancement.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.