Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Part 2 (Read 35856 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Part 2
Jul 25th, 2011, 4:42pm

Let's try this again followed by updates to common questions and concerns.

<original post for the records>
On the heels of our recent landmark of reaching 500,000 cards it is due time for GCU to turn an honest and critical eye to our existing collection and new cards.  To date GCU has accepted virtually all submitted work and artists.  Today we are introducing a Marketability Standards policy.  Based on GCU’s evaluation of marketability and commercial appeal, GCU will begin saying “no thank you” to cards.    

The Marketability Standards and Guidelines will raise the bar on card designs to increase professionalism and marketability and ultimately a better experience for our shoppers.  This will up the overall product quality on GCU which reflects on all artists in our community as shoppers view GCU as a single store.  Our goal is to provide a selection of greeting cards to the buying public that are competitive,  professional, and equal to the highest level of design.

Although we’d like to say this process will be clear cut, objective and quantitative, in practice that is quite impossible.  By nature it is subjective and heavily qualitative.  However here are some of the elements that we have established as standards and guidelines that our reviewers will be looking at.  These will soon be reflected on our GCU Wiki page with image examples:

a.      Subject Matter -  poor, random, unrelated, not professional
b.      Image Quality – clarity, color, lighting, angle, cropping, shadows, composition,  misuse of filter, out of focus, exposure, particularly with photographs
c.      Overused Image
d.      Unrelated Image - not related nor appropriate to occasion/category, gender, relation, age, etc.
e.      Any Reason - on a case by case basis we reserve the right to not accept a card considered to be lacking in commercial appeal

The review team will begin to apply these standards to newly submitted cards.  No cards will be grandfathered in.  GCU will also begin weeding through existing cards and saying “no thank you” to those deemed not marketable.  Ultimately the direction is for new artists to submit sample work for evaluation before opening a GCU storefront.

This is an excellent time for all artists to look at their body of work with a critical eye as well.  Schedule your own “Weed out Week” where artists look at their own cards and remove those designs that you feel do not reflect your best work or do not shine with professionalism and polish.  Consider using your family and friends and peer artists as honest and frank critics and participating in the GCU Community BLOG Critique Clinic.  

We realize many artists will not be happy about this new policy.   This is another corner for GCU and artists to turn and we will all feel the growing pains.  However we are confident that this is a fair and necessary step as GCU grows and strives to be the leader in online paper greeting card sales.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and support!  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Par
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2011, 4:55pm

Additional Notes to ease artists' concerns:

1. a No Thank You card will require a 2 step review process to make sure it has gotten a impartial look

2. these standards are effective and being applied NOW to new cards and we are slowly weeding through existing cards

3. the bar of quality and professionalism that we are setting is not too high and can easily be achieved w/o professional training.

4. the biggest offenders will be those images of poor quality (blurry, poor lighting, unrelated subject matter, snapshots of household items, distracting/unsavory background items, etc.)

We'd like to share actual images of "no thank you" cards to show you how/where these standards will be applied however we don't want to add public insult to injury for these artists.  Anyone have advice on how we can show "no thank you" images of these cards w/o offending the owning artists?

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2011, 5:00pm

Mindy, perhaps inviting the artists if it means a way for all of us to learn (and perhaps the artists given the no thank you can have an immediate opportunity to learn to fix the offending card for submitting again) - maybe that might work?  I'd be happy to possibly volunteer an image or two... I need all the help I can get and would rather have my work looked at with impartial eyes so I can learn.  Give me a private heads up if you plan to can some of my cards.

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2011, 5:19pm

Perhaps some of the experienced photographers and artists would be willing take some good quality/poor quality examples of the same subject matter to show what is acceptable and not ... don't know if that makes sense Huh

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2011, 5:21pm

that's a good idea too but it won't cover the other forms of artwork - painting, drawing, digital art.  We'd need a way to cover those forms too.

Email   IP Logged
Carol_135259
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2011, 7:19pm

When sending out the *no thank you* simply, ask the owner of the image if it may or, may not be used for learning purposes. Yes or no...done!  

Email   IP Logged
Joann_153864
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2011, 8:30pm

...or maybe just do not include the Artist's name when showing a no thank you cardSmiley

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2011, 9:15pm

Quote from Joann_153864 on Jul 25th, 2011, 8:30pm:
...or maybe just do not include the Artist's name when showing a no thank you cardSmiley

Possibly a copyright violation. If the card is declined, then GCU has declined to license the image from the artist. I would suggest that it is then up to the artist to allow GCU to publicise the image in this context.

Carol's idea is excellent. A very simple and good solution.

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Laura_142481
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2011, 11:51pm

Thanks for posting the guidelines, Mindy.

Email   IP Logged
Carol_135259
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2011, 7:13am

Quote from Rosanne_132497 on Jul 25th, 2011, 9:15pm:
Quote from Joann_153864 on Jul 25th, 2011, 8:30pm:

Possibly a copyright violation. If the card is declined, then GCU has declined to license the image from the artist. I would suggest that it is then up to the artist to allow GCU to publicise the image in this context.

Carol's idea is excellent. A very simple and good solution.

Cheers,

Rosanne

...and using the name of the artist isn't what's important anyway...just the image.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2011, 7:51am

some folks might not want to be used as an example - even if their name isn't used, they will know that their card is an example of what not to do.  For good examples, it's free advertising if you think about it.  Me personally, I would rather learn from my mistakes so if a card of mine is to be used as an example of a "no thank you", depending on the card, I'd be more inclined to say yes and use it as long as my name isn't showing.

Email   IP Logged
Terri_138640
artist

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2011, 8:05am

Quote from Carol_135259 on Jul 25th, 2011, 7:19pm:
When sending out the *no thank you* simply, ask the owner of the image if it may or, may not be used for learning purposes. Yes or no...done!  

I like this one.  I'd love to improve my photography.  As for my art, I sometimes have that, 'it's good but it's missing something feeling'.  Like one I posted recently which I'd done a newer background for a different site.  I got some good feedback.
This would also help with that last, disturbing bit. "Any reason".  It's helpful to know the reason, so if you use those for learning purposes it will help a lot.  It'll let us know if the decline is a 'post it somewhere else'  or a challenge to find a way to creatively redo the elements to make it work.

I 'm glad your going slow with the weeding of the existing ones. I don't have many up  compared to some and sometimes what sells surprises me. But some I'd like to change I'm still hunting up the files for.  (As an aside:   it's not enough to back up the files.  You have to know which of the many CDs, DVD, flash drives or assorted you put the backups on.  Beware.   cry Learned the hard way here.)

And speaking of existing ones, what if the card has already been selling? I've had some definite surprises on what sells (the patriotic black funeral horse and the horse with the graduation cap.  undecided)

Email   IP Logged
Carol_135259
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2011, 8:24am

Now....there will be those who will be unhappy receiving a *no thank you* or maybe many *no thank yous*  Roll Eyes  (probably me) Lol! and they will want to voice their concerns and opinions on this, no doubt. No matter how specific GCU is on why etc., there will be those who disagree so, probably will need a specific way to go about this whether, it's through email only or, on here in another forum - maybe  *The Complaints Department*  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2011, 9:11am

Carol, I read on another thread that an artist has had a 'not marketable' email with absolutely no reason why and Mindy has sais there will be no right of appeal so I'm not sure how your 'Complaints Dept' would work, excepte in a very general way  Sad

Email   IP Logged
Carol_135259
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2011, 9:18am

Quote from Judy_139270 on Jul 26th, 2011, 9:11am:
Carol, I read on another thread that an artist has had a 'not marketable' email with absolutely no reason why and Mindy has sais there will be no right of appeal so I'm not sure how your 'Complaints Dept' would work, excepte in a very general way  Sad

Yes...I'm just afraid that the entire Forum will be in an uproar over this, and it's going to pop up all over the board, and there's going to have to be something in place, as to crowd control. Lol!

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:30am

Mindy, I will allow full use of my non marketable cards for use as examples of what can grow wrong.  I do realize I have some doozies
do to the fact that I was trying very hard to put up a good number of
cards in hopes that my best ones would get a viewing.  At that pace,
it's tough to always put forth your best work, even if some of them
did actually sell once or twice!

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:47am

Oh geez, if it's anything like my own lawn, by the time I get done weeding there will be nothing left!   Grin

I wonder if we'll be back under 500,000 soon?   Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:54am

lol Tom!
I do feel fine with my declines being used for a learning experience. And like some have said it does surprise sometimes on what sells. So, I do not envy the people deciding! I actually had my first two declined this week Sad But, I did use an artistic digital art piece that was meant to be blurry..and I liked very much... But I know as an artist that sometimes what we create on screen does not always pan out in the print. Hopefully this will be another step that pulls us all together and creates more sales for all of us! Think of the bumps we have allready hurdled over!
So, onward! Cool  Happy creating!
Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Valerie_148812
artist

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2011, 12:02pm

If we get a "No thank you", can we rework the design and resubmit it?

Email   IP Logged
Stanley_134646
artist

Reply #19 - Jul 26th, 2011, 3:54pm

I'd like to weigh in here and say that I believe this is a great idea! As I've been working and uploading new ones, I found myself saying a couple of times, "I bet that one's rejected," but I uploaded it anyway--thinking that if they are rejected, this time at least I'll know why. It's forced me to take a closer look at the quality before I just upload a bunch of stuff--I know no one here does anything like that Grin.  

Anyway, after the learning curve, this is going to be good for ALL of us. Hang in there, guys.

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #20 - Jul 26th, 2011, 4:31pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jul 26th, 2011, 10:47am:

I wonder if we'll be back under 500,000 soon?   Roll Eyes

Yeah, I was thinking about that recently.  If so, they could celebrate when they hit a half million AGAIN!  

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #21 - Jul 26th, 2011, 9:04pm

Doreen said it perfectly in the closing to her post in the thread that was lost.

It went something like this:
"It's their playground, I just swing in it."

Had to chuckle over that statement and have thought of it often as I read the threads about marketability.  GCU is a super business that allows me to submit my card designs for their growing market and have a free store to boot.  They already spend a significant amount of time listening to and incorporating artist's suggestions.  Also, the administrators and staff, including the reviewers, are always willing to help when I have a question or a technical problem.  The marketability standards and guidelines were covered well in Mindy's post and are very reasonable.  And in GCU Wiki here: http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html

GCU is not in the business of teaching us how to make marketable and commercial appealing cards.  They have enough on their plate without that.  There are wonderful resources and professional designers advice and input available from card designers within our ranks and across the internet and library.  Here are a few from my long list of resources that I have gained and grown from:

http://gcucommunity.com
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/index.html
http://salonofart.wordpress.com
http://kateharperblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/makemoresalesatgcu
http://www.squidoo.com/designcardsatgcu
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/photo-tips.html
"The Complete Guide to Greeting Card Design and Illustration" by Eva Szela
Plus the GCU Wiki and all the new videos at GCU University

I believe it is important to think of a "no thank you" as a creative challenge, not a personal putdown.  We cannot expect GCU to tell us why a card was not accepted or how to make it better, but we can find out through these other excellent resources.  Experiment, try new ideas and new techniques, ask and see what others are doing.  Most all the experienced artists here are willing to share. Use and give input to the weekly card critique session on the GCU Community Blog.

As Stanlely says, .."after the learning curve, this is going to be good for ALL of us."  

Kati

Email   IP Logged
Laura_142481
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Jul 26th, 2011, 9:54pm

So nicely stated Kati!!  

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:26pm

Can someone let me in on what the big deal is about 500,000? Do they have some kind of limit on what they can sell or something?  Huh

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jul 27th, 2011, 12:56am

It's a milestone, Rebecca - Half a million cards available in GCU's on-line inventory, making it truly the world's biggest card store.

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #25 - Jul 27th, 2011, 4:32am

Kathleen's post makes me think we need a like button Smiley)))))

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #26 - Jul 27th, 2011, 6:24am

Curious about the scrutiny of new cards, will this same review be given to all the customer request cards as well?  Just curious because sometime when I read the requests I get the feeling the customer is just toying with GCU since some of the requests are non marketable in my humble opinion.

Email   IP Logged
Stanley_134646
artist

Reply #27 - Jul 27th, 2011, 6:33am

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Jul 27th, 2011, 12:56am:
It's a milestone, Rebecca - Half a million cards available in GCU's on-line inventory, making it truly the world's biggest card store.

Corrie

Well said. A milestone--and a BIG one. I'm approaching one myself [insert brag here] as I've sold just under 1800 cards so far. I applaud GCU and all the artists!

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_131398
artist

Reply #28 - Jul 27th, 2011, 6:57am

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Jul 27th, 2011, 6:24am:
Curious about the scrutiny of new cards, will this same review be given to all the customer request cards as well?  Just curious because sometime when I read the requests I get the feeling the customer is just toying with GCU since some of the requests are non marketable in my humble opinion.  

Myrna, it's been my experience that the majority of card requests are too personal to be a suitable offering for the general customer pool and belong in our private galleries. This should exclude these cards from the same review as cards presented for general purchase.

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #29 - Jul 27th, 2011, 7:01am

Thank you Tanya; I was thinking along the lines of here in the forum, when Mindy requests from us a card in the Wanted Card section from a customers email.

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_131398
artist

Reply #30 - Jul 27th, 2011, 7:10am

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Jul 27th, 2011, 7:01am:
Thank you Tanya; I was thinking along the lines of here in the forum, when Mindy requests from us a card in the Wanted Card section from a customers email.  

Well in that case, Mindy usually posts what category(s) the requested cards should go in, so I would take that to mean that the requested card would be available to the general public and therefore subject to the same review process.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #31 - Jul 27th, 2011, 7:29am

I would think the answer to that is YES Myrna.  Just because the 'need' for a specific card (and these do ALL end up in the public marketplace) may be considered silly or quirky does not mean that those who create the cards to fill that request should offer anything less than their BEST design skills.  Its a quality issue and I would guess that ANY card that will be sold in the public GCU marketplace will need to hold up to the same standards, regardless of the 'category' or 'purpose' of the card.

Email   IP Logged
Terri_138640
artist

Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2011, 9:57am

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Jul 26th, 2011, 9:04pm:
Doreen said it perfectly in the closing to her post in the thread that was lost.

It went something like this:
"It's their playground, I just swing in it."

Had to chuckle over that statement and have thought of it often as I read the threads about marketability.  GCU is a super business that allows me to submit my card designs for their growing market and have a free store to boot.  They already spend a significant amount of time listening to and incorporating artist's suggestions.  Also, the administrators and staff, including the reviewers, are always willing to help when I have a question or a technical problem.  The marketability standards and guidelines were covered well in Mindy's post and are very reasonable.  And in GCU Wiki here: http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html

GCU is not in the business of teaching us how to make marketable and commercial appealing cards.  They have enough on their plate without that.  There are wonderful resources and professional designers advice and input available from card designers within our ranks and across the internet and library.  Here are a few from my long list of resources that I have gained and grown from:

http://gcucommunity.com
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/index.html
http://salonofart.wordpress.com
http://kateharperblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/makemoresalesatgcu
http://www.squidoo.com/designcardsatgcu
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/photo-tips.html
"The Complete Guide to Greeting Card Design and Illustration" by Eva Szela
Plus the GCU Wiki and all the new videos at GCU University

I believe it is important to think of a "no thank you" as a creative challenge, not a personal putdown.  We cannot expect GCU to tell us why a card was not accepted or how to make it better, but we can find out through these other excellent resources.  Experiment, try new ideas and new techniques, ask and see what others are doing.  Most all the experienced artists here are willing to share. Use and give input to the weekly card critique session on the GCU Community Blog.

As Stanlely says, .."after the learning curve, this is going to be good for ALL of us."  

Kati

I just observed this in another thread, but I may as well say it here too:  a little clarity in the general feedback, even just a few new things added to the FAQ rather than individually, will take a lot OFF their plate. If we know they will not sell stuffed bunny photos, no problem.  We won't upload them.  That's a whole bunch of cards they don't need to weed through.  Then we and they can focus on the 'fuzzier' aspects like maybe they just don't think that style will sell. We win by not wasting time, they win by not wasting time and man/woman power and good PR continues.
Thanks for posting those links, I'll check them out.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2011, 10:17am

Terri,  GCU is already addressing the clarity issue.
Here:
http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html
http://www.gcuwiki.com/marketability.html

These guidelines will evolve and be very useful for all of us.  It will be a win, win situation.

Yeah!
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2011, 10:11pm

Corrie

Thank you, Corrie!  

If GCU hitting 500,000 cards is a milestone and makes it the world's biggest card store, then why is GCU deleting cards that have already been approved? That part just doesn't make any sense. If they were not good cards, they wouldn't have been approved in the first place.

It seems to me that GCU's slogan of "any card imaginable" is upheld by those approved cards. Why delete them? I can understand turning down newly submitted cards in the attempt to improve the site by upping the standards of what is approved. I just don't understand why GCU would want to undo hard work that is already done and has gotten us to that wonderful milestone.

To me, this seems like we're kicking out the old guy who helped us get where we are, just because he is slow. Meaning the old approved cards, of course.  Grin

I guess I can understand deleting cards that have been available since this place started, that haven't even sold once.  undecided

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2011, 3:53pm

Personally I don't think it is a bad idea, every once in awhile I go through my cards myself and weed some out.   Haven't we all done that or is it just me.  

If you create a card and you think it is a real winner and GCU turns it down, put it on Zazzle.  It won't be a waste of your time if you do that and if it sells on Zazzle, you can come back here and  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:17pm

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Jul 28th, 2011, 3:53pm:
Personally I don't think it is a bad idea, every once in awhile I go through my cards myself and weed some out.   Haven't we all done that or is it just me.  

If you create a card and you think it is a real winner and GCU turns it down, put it on Zazzle.  It won't be a waste of your time if you do that and if it sells on Zazzle, you can come back here and  Grin

I do weeding about every 6-months Myrna  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:48pm

Quote from Tanya_131398 on Jul 27th, 2011, 7:10am:

Well in that case, Mindy usually posts what category(s) the requested cards should go in, so I would take that to mean that the requested card would be available to the general public and therefore subject to the same review process.

Correct!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:52pm

Quote from Rebecca_140932 on Jul 27th, 2011, 10:11pm:

Corrie

Thank you, Corrie!

If GCU hitting 500,000 cards is a milestone and makes it the world's biggest card store, then why is GCU deleting cards that have already been approved? That part just doesn't make any sense. If they were not good cards, they wouldn't have been approved in the first place.

It seems to me that GCU's slogan of "any card imaginable" is upheld by those approved cards. Why delete them? I can understand turning down newly submitted cards in the attempt to improve the site by upping the standards of what is approved. I just don't understand why GCU would want to undo hard work that is already done and has gotten us to that wonderful milestone.

To me, this seems like we're kicking out the old guy who helped us get where we are, just because he is slow. Meaning the old approved cards, of course.  Grin

I guess I can understand deleting cards that have been available since this place started, that haven't even sold once.  undecided

We're not culling based on quantity but quality.  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:56pm

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Jul 27th, 2011, 10:17am:
Terri,  GCU is already addressing the clarity issue.
Here:
http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html
http://www.gcuwiki.com/marketability.html

These guidelines will evolve and be very useful for all of us.  It will be a win, win situation.

Yeah!
Kati

Yes a WIP.  We intend to "show" you what we mean with sample images.

Thank you to Mary and Sandy for selflessly offering for GCU to share images of your "no thank you" cards.   Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2011, 6:04pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #40 - Jul 29th, 2011, 7:33pm

Thank you for your input and constructive discussion.  Here are some answers to questions or issues brought up on one of the corrupted threads worth noting:

1.      We'll define marketability as“suitable for sale”.  A professional looking end product, with quality to compare in the greeting card market.  Whether you like Hallmark or American Greetings cards is not the issue, it’s a level of quality to compete for the buying publics’ dollars.  Good enough to sit on a rack in a store.  Often purchasing online takes a leap of faith on quality so the pressure to not disappoint an online shopper and lose their trust is very important.

2.      The bar has not been raised but merely established.  It will not be hard to reach.  

3.      GCU is making these subjective judgements based on what we feel is truly marketable most of which are based on technical merits (or lack of), again "suitable for sale".

4.      GCU is not choosing to limit nor differentiating among media/styles/forms of work that will or will not be accepted at this time.  Photography is certainly under the most scrutiny.  

5.      Guidelines are on wiki with examples images and we will continue to update as a reference

6.      Mainstream vs niche? – it is business as usual, as Doreen shares, with GCU embracing the uncommon, quirky, hard to find cards.  So mainstream is certainly not a benchmark here.    We are looking for quality in execution, a polished professional looking final product.  Have quirky animal humor?  Bring it on…when married with a quality image (in focus, good composition, etc) and related verse.

7.      Lack of sales is not a factor nor is the level of professional training the artist has or lacks

8.      NO cards are exempt – old, new, pending are subject to these guidelines effective immediately

Email   IP Logged
Stanley_134646
artist

Reply #41 - Aug 4th, 2011, 2:29pm

Just a quick note to say that I am beginning to get some feedback on cards I've submitted since the new guidelines went into effect. A couple of thoughts:

1. The suggestions from the reviewers (never got those before) are very, very helpful--gives me a feeling of having a personal coach!

2. When a card is returned for edits, I see immediately what the reviewer is talking about. These are things that I have perhaps overlooked in the past, but now understand a little better about what makes a card a great card. Those are the only kind I want. I have worked as a typesetter, and a cardinal rule was that you NEVER proofread your own work. I see the same principle at work here. The reviewers have a pair of fresh eyes, and they are on our side. I say, "Welcome!" to this kind of feedback.

3. In the long run, this can only be a good thing! The comments from the reviewers (and I even got a couple of positive comments on cards that had been approved!) are very helpful.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #42 - Aug 4th, 2011, 2:56pm

Stanley,

Thank you for this note. We (reviewers) feel lucky to be working with all the wonderful artists whose work we review. Believe me, if time allowed, we would leave more positive comments for more artists. A balance must be struck, however, or the cards wouldn't be approved in a timely fashion Smiley Thanks for your feedback; it's nice to know that our comments and suggestions are being well-received.

Reviewer 443

Quote from Stanley_134646 on Aug 4th, 2011, 2:29pm:
Just a quick note to say that I am beginning to get some feedback on cards I've submitted since the new guidelines went into effect. A couple of thoughts:

1. The suggestions from the reviewers (never got those before) are very, very helpful--gives me a feeling of having a personal coach!

2. When a card is returned for edits, I see immediately what the reviewer is talking about. These are things that I have perhaps overlooked in the past, but now understand a little better about what makes a card a great card. Those are the only kind I want. I have worked as a typesetter, and a cardinal rule was that you NEVER proofread your own work. I see the same principle at work here. The reviewers have a pair of fresh eyes, and they are on our side. I say, "Welcome!" to this kind of feedback.

3. In the long run, this can only be a good thing! The comments from the reviewers (and I even got a couple of positive comments on cards that had been approved!) are very helpful.

Email   IP Logged
Mike_154103
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #43 - Aug 4th, 2011, 6:29pm

Quote from Stanley_134646 on Aug 4th, 2011, 2:29pm:
Just a quick note to say that I am beginning to get some feedback on cards I've submitted since the new guidelines went into effect....

I say, "Welcome!" to this kind of feedback.

You're so right, Stanley... I've noticed an increase in the feedback and I'm very happy with it, too!  Very helpful!!  I've also noticed that cards (in general) seem to be getting approved faster (at least in my experience).

Lovin' the new standards and approval process.  

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #44 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:00pm

Please note as we are taking our time to give cards a fair and unbiased review with the new marketability standards you will begin to see more cards being in a "Held" status.  This is a temporary hold until a another reviewer can give it a second look.  No need to be alarmed.

Most often you will receive a note from the reviewer like this:
"We have put this card on hold for further review.  You should receive an update from another reviewer shortly.  Thank you for your patience."

So...if you receive this message please just sit tight for the second set of eyes.  If either of the reviewers has a question for you they will ask in the card review email.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #45 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:03pm

Mindy, I've been dreading this day and now my cards are being looked at and several declined.  I understand some of the reasons but others are being kicked back for me with very kind and spelled out suggestions on what I can do to fix the issues.  Instead of these cards being declined, can't they just come back for edits?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #46 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:14pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 5th, 2011, 2:03pm:
Mindy, I've been dreading this day and now my cards are being looked at and several declined.  I understand some of the reasons but others are being kicked back for me with very kind and spelled out suggestions on what I can do to fix the issues.  Instead of these cards being declined, can't they just come back for edits?  

Hi Donna,
I hope the dreading is over and it's not as deep cutting nor as painful as you thought.  Thank you for your reply to share your thoughts.  The review team will be identifying designs and declining those that even with mentioned fixes/edits would not reach the bar or should be started from scratch.  And they will be returning for edits those they think have merit and with modifications may be marketable.  

As we are new with the process if you have any examples of cards (pid#) that you think don't are following the above logic please share here.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #47 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:24pm

PID 460635

Reviewer kindly gives a detailed explanation and then emailed me in a separate communication identifying a different image that would work well.

Comments:

This floral image is lovely however the oval frames and curved text on this and other cards are not professional. The oval can be pleasing when combined with elements that are vintage because that’s the era it’s from, but many of your designs would be more marketable without the oval. And the curved lettering is rarely pleasing, if in line with a waving flag for example you can pull it off.  

Let me first say I totally understand the reasoning for the decline as stated and I do appreciate the time taken to offer suggestions, however this is something I can fix.  There are two other cards with similar set up/look and I can make the same adjustments if they will meet the new marketability requirements.

It just seems like something I can readily deal with instead of having the card removed and my having to submit it all over again with the adjustments made.  I mean after all - if the reviewer was kind enough to take the time to make these suggestions, why not give me a chance to apply what was suggested?

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #48 - Aug 8th, 2011, 11:36am

Ok, I have posted in the next messages a few of my problem cards, first i got my feelings hurt, but I really am wanting to cooperate, so I will be glad to hear opinions . I really do want to know when I have a "bad" card! thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #49 - Aug 8th, 2011, 11:50am

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #50 - Aug 8th, 2011, 11:53am

Email   IP Logged
Rene_136607
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #51 - Aug 12th, 2011, 5:56pm

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
I asked to have my store looked at for "marketability". They want to decline one of my top selling graduation cards. WTF. I'm ready to close my store or else put everything in my private gallery so the reviewer "wisdom" won't be needed. Ya I'm really pissed off. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Email   IP Logged
Eve_138255
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Aug 12th, 2011, 6:20pm

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Aug 8th, 2011, 11:53am:

I must admit the rose one didn't appeal to me, but this one I feel is very eye-catchingly bright and cheerful.

IP Logged
Eve_138255
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Aug 12th, 2011, 6:27pm

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Aug 8th, 2011, 11:50am:

The wedding cards that you have similar to this, I prefer. This is quite abstract, while the wedding cards give a better impression of a cake surrounded with roses.

IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #54 - Aug 12th, 2011, 7:34pm

Quote from Rene_136607 on Aug 12th, 2011, 5:56pm:
I asked to have my store looked at for "marketability". They want to decline one of my top selling graduation cards. WTF. I'm ready to close my store or else put everything in my private gallery so the reviewer "wisdom" won't be needed. Ya I'm really pissed off. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

do you have a PID for this card?  I'd like to see it.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #55 - Aug 12th, 2011, 11:17pm

A point of information for artists considering taking the Private Gallery route:
Private cards are subject to the same marketability standards as public cards.
For cards placed in the Private Gallery via Private-Waive Review, any customer satisfaction issues and/or returns will be the artist’s responsibility.

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #56 - Aug 13th, 2011, 5:57am

With all due respect, to the Review Team and Administration, this is where direct feedback to us artists might need some work.  I appreciate the fact that there is communication between all of us and I think it should even include when there are issues with cards.  I know for myself, I don't ever hear if there are problems if people buy my cards.  And quite honestly, I cannot afford to buy a sample of each one to check for quality myself.  I simply haven't the funds available.  So, it makes sense to me to be told if someone orders a card I made and they end up dissatisfied with it.  As it stands right now, I'll never know about it - sure, it could just be their opinion but I'd still like to know what they might find unacceptable to have to have it returned.  

Perhaps this could be added to the "wish list" - direct customer feedback even if filtered through the folks who have to deal with returns of cards.  I'd seriously appreciate knowing if a customer ended up unhappy with something I made.  I think the communication to sort out such issues will only help with the marketability growing pains in the long run.

If we artists are going to have to abide by new standards for better marketability, then wouldn't this seem like a valuable asset to know if customers are happy with our own products or to provide feedback when there are problems?

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_136771
artist

Reply #57 - Aug 13th, 2011, 6:08am

It would also be good to know why a card has been returned. Is it the card design or a production issue?  I've had some quality issues with GCU cards I've ordered (not recently), such as a streaky finish on a glossy card and cards trimmed incorrectly.  I was able to get replacement cards, but I was exact about the problem.  If a customer is dissatisfied, I would hope that the card design wouldn't be faulted if it was a production problem.

Email   IP Logged
Rene_136607
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #58 - Aug 13th, 2011, 8:55am

I am closing my store today. I have enough stress in my life that I don't need GCU's judgment.  

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #59 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:05am

Quote from Rene_136607 on Aug 13th, 2011, 8:55am:
I am closing my store today. I have enough stress in my life that I don't need GCU's judgment.

This is a total shame you feel urged to close up.  I'm trying to learn from the experience.  Rene, did they give you a reason as to why they want to decline the card?  Have you tried emailing Administration on this issue?  Oh, man, if you are leaving with a good selling card then what hope have I got of staying on in the long run??

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #60 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:16am

Cards returned by customers for quality issues *within the artist's control* are returned to the artist for edits or declined if we feel that no change can be made to the card that would bring the card up to marketability standards (out-of-focus images, excessive noise, etc). We've always done this. We wouldn't leave a questionable card online for another customer to purchase and return.  

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 5:57am:
With all due respect, to the Review Team and Administration, this is where direct feedback to us artists might need some work.  I appreciate the fact that there is communication between all of us and I think it should even include when there are issues with cards.  I know for myself, I don't ever hear if there are problems if people buy my cards.  And quite honestly, I cannot afford to buy a sample of each one to check for quality myself.  I simply haven't the funds available.  So, it makes sense to me to be told if someone orders a card I made and they end up dissatisfied with it.  As it stands right now, I'll never know about it - sure, it could just be their opinion but I'd still like to know what they might find unacceptable to have to have it returned.  

Perhaps this could be added to the "wish list" - direct customer feedback even if filtered through the folks who have to deal with returns of cards.  I'd seriously appreciate knowing if a customer ended up unhappy with something I made.  I think the communication to sort out such issues will only help with the marketability growing pains in the long run.

If we artists are going to have to abide by new standards for better marketability, then wouldn't this seem like a valuable asset to know if customers are happy with our own products or to provide feedback when there are problems?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #61 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:40am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:05am:

This is a total shame you feel urged to close up.  I'm trying to learn from the experience.  Rene, did they give you a reason as to why they want to decline the card?  Have you tried emailing Administration on this issue?  Oh, man, if you are leaving with a good selling card then what hope have I got of staying on in the long run??  

Attitude Donna, that's your hope and what you have.  You are learning from the experience and being challenged to improve.  None of us know what other stress Rene may have in her life right now and all of us have been in a 'bad place' where we walk away from something when we normally would accept the challenge.  Her decision is personal and private.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #62 - Aug 13th, 2011, 10:18am

I guess I just feel bad that she dropped a bomb and didn't explain any further as to what the actual issue with her card is or if she's communicated with Admin.  I know I've been a pain in the behind but at least there's been a lot of support and communication with fellow artists and Admin and Reviewers to help gain a deeper understanding.

I'm trying to learn all I can slowing down to catch my breath and understand the what and why of the process.  It's starting to come together - slow as it may, but I'm striving for better now...

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #63 - Aug 13th, 2011, 12:35pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:40am:

Attitude Donna, that's your hope and what you have.  You are learning from the experience and being challenged to improve.  None of us know what other stress Rene may have in her life right now and all of us have been in a 'bad place' where we walk away from something when we normally would accept the challenge.  Her decision is personal and private.

Doreen is always so sensible and I am happy you are here, Doreen!

Another dumb question from me:  Reviewer just used a term above "excessive noise" exactly what is that?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #64 - Aug 13th, 2011, 12:41pm

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Aug 13th, 2011, 12:35pm:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:40am:

Another dumb question from me:  Reviewer just used a term above "excessive noise" exactly what is that?

Excessive noise in an image refers to a graininess, almost always an undesirable feature in a photograph or scanned piece.  In the digital world, excessive noise often comes in multi-colored graininess called color noise.

It can come from light levels being too low when the image was taken.  It can come from a lack of quality in the camera and/or lens.

It can come from too much image compression, such as when you save a jpg file over and over again...it degrades the quality every time.

Does that help Myrna?

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #65 - Aug 13th, 2011, 2:25pm

Quote from Card_Review_Team on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:16am:
Cards returned by customers for quality issues *within the artist's control* are returned to the artist for edits or declined if we feel that no change can be made to the card that would bring the card up to marketability standards (out-of-focus images, excessive noise, etc). We've always done this. We wouldn't leave a questionable card online for another customer to purchase and return.

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Thank you for clarifying... I think I'd feel really bad if something I made was returned and I didn't know about it if it was something I could fix... good to know that there is indeed a catch in place.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #66 - Aug 13th, 2011, 2:33pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 12:41pm:
SNIP

It can come from too much image compression, such as when you save a jpg file over and over again...it degrades the quality every time.

Does that help Myrna? [/quote]

I second that sentiment!  I certainly appreciate Doreen's input...

Just curious, and correct me if I am wrong, Doreen... when an image is saved over and over, isn't it best to rename and save fresh each time and not over the original file?  Also, when a digital file is moved from here and there and back again, it is best to cut and move and not copy and move.  Correct?

And the other bane of my life right now - deciding on the best way to archive my digital files...

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #67 - Aug 13th, 2011, 2:45pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 2:33pm:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 12:41pm:
SNIP

Does that help Myrna?

I second that sentiment!  I certainly appreciate Doreen's input...

Just curious, and correct me if I am wrong, Doreen... when an image is saved over and over, isn't it best to rename and save fresh each time and not over the original file?  Also, when a digital file is moved from here and there and back again, it is best to cut and move and not copy and move.  Correct?

And the other bane of my life right now - deciding on the best way to archive my digital files... [/quote]

Well...saving with a different name can help you with excessive compression when working with file types like jpgs.  When working with uncompressed files such as PSDs and uncompressed TIFF files, you can save as many times as you want with the same name.

The best thing to do with you need a jpg format for upload is to always go back to the original uncompressed file, do your resizing and save a fresh jpg with a new name...yes, Donna Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #68 - Aug 14th, 2011, 5:00am

Quote from Eve_138255 on Aug 12th, 2011, 6:20pm:
Quote from Sandy_132125 on Aug 8th, 2011, 11:53am:

I must admit the rose one didn't appeal to me, but this one I feel is very eye-catchingly bright and cheerful.

Thank you Eve, for taking the time to give an opinion. They asked for me to resubmit "Sunny" with the ellipsis corrected. I did write back to tell them that I was not using my dots in that way. To me as an artist I sometimes use periods to center greetings, or , in my opinion as part of my art. I was told that i could change it or delete it. Because I was still happy with the way I created it I deleted it and put it on another site...I have a similar card that was accepted for the summer camp request.
I appreciate that my rose wedding cake thank you did not appeal to you.But, it was done as an abstract. I also had one that was just the picture of the cake by itself in the art collection category. Both were declined as being blurry. I created them that way on purpose.
Thanks again for hearing me out,  
Sandy! Cool

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #69 - Aug 14th, 2011, 5:06am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 2:25pm:
Quote from Card_Review_Team on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:16am:

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Thank you for clarifying... I think I'd feel really bad if something I made was returned and I didn't know about it if it was something I could fix... good to know that there is indeed a catch in place.

I did have a card that was returned because of a font i used. Evidently the background in the font did not print well. The reviewer wrote a nice explanaion and it did not offend me in any way when I saw it. I was told I could resubmit if it was fixed... BUT , it was one of my older cards and I have no idea how long it was there before I noticed it... So, I do think it would be helpful if we did receive an email telling us so we can clear it up...Also,my apologies, if that was done and I missed the email at some point. Knowimng me, that is a possibility  Roll Eyes  
I have also received a few cards that were messed up in production, and I wouldlike to say that GCU was excellent in handling that with a replacement. I still love the cards here better than any other sites.
Have a great creative day!
Sandy Cool

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #70 - Aug 15th, 2011, 12:48pm

Rene, sorry to hear your reaction here.  Not sure why this would fire you up vs opening a discussion.

Looking at the reviews I believe your card in question was pid#615524 which was not declined but returned to you for edits with these comments:

Remove distracting branch in upper left corner and resubmit for re-review, thank you!
Also note your card title should be more descriptive and include terms like: oak tree

Sending you an email to talk offline if you like.  undecided

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #71 - Aug 15th, 2011, 12:55pm

Quote from Catherine_136771 on Aug 13th, 2011, 6:08am:
It would also be good to know why a card has been returned. Is it the card design or a production issue?  I've had some quality issues with GCU cards I've ordered (not recently), such as a streaky finish on a glossy card and cards trimmed incorrectly.  I was able to get replacement cards, but I was exact about the problem.  If a customer is dissatisfied, I would hope that the card design wouldn't be faulted if it was a production problem.

Correct, the artist nor the card design are faulted if there is a production problem.  We make the customer happy, address the issue(s) internally or with our printing partner if fixes or learnings need to be made and move forward.

Email   IP Logged
Mayur_156714
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #72 - Sep 4th, 2011, 10:49am

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #73 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:28pm

Please note these new marketability guidelines for Custom Front Photo Cards.  Designs should be:

1.  Be creative, compositions should use creative and appropriate framing/treatment around or enhancing the photo.  Specifically: Photo area should serve as the focal point of the overall design. Compositional emphasis should be on the photo, not other elements on the card. In other words, the design shouldn’t look like the artist took an existing greeting card, and shoehorned a photo on it.  Preferably, smaller photo areas should be framed in a way that makes sense with the rest of the design.  Shape of photo area, if not generic (circle, square, rectangle) should be in keeping with the purpose of the card (for example, a Christmas tree shaped area on a Valentine’s Day card would be in error).

2.  Maximize the photo size as the focal point.   Specifically: Entire photo area (a single photo or multiple photos) should ideally use 1/3 to 1/2 of the card’s surface. Exceptions will be made for exceptional designs.

3.  NOT a one size fits all approach.  If design is used to create multiple cards, elements should vary and be appropriate by occasion, age, relation, gender  

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #74 - Sep 16th, 2011, 6:59am

Hi there,  
I have another declined card, that I think shoulc be accepted, Please give me some honest opinions . I put it here so youcan see it.
Thank you,
Sandy

http://www.redbubble.com/people/budrfli/art/7766281-happy-birthday-mom

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #75 - Sep 16th, 2011, 7:14am

I also have several of this design
 http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/zoom.asp?pid=862480&w=1&ref =details_large_view

that have been approved by different reviewers at different times. But, one reviewer is asking me to:

Please Note: Thanks for the note, Sandy, but now that our new marketability standars are in place at GCU we feel this card needs to be edited by removing the black / gray squiggly lines at the very top and bottom of the image, as they are distracting, and take away from the overall image. I do not know how long ago the others were approved. Could be before our new marketability stands were in place. Please edit this card and any other returned to you with the same issue. Thanks so much.  
Three of the approved ones were yesterday by a different reviewer. I have resent the request , or I wouldn't be posting here, and again the five this person declined are reviewed by the same person with the above note...
I feel that the design is fine the way I created it,
Sincerely,
Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #76 - Sep 16th, 2011, 7:44am

Sandy, I think that card would have been declined due to the copyright on the angel statue.  Just guessing, but a clear possibility.
It's cute, though.

Bright

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Norma_133903
artist

Reply #77 - Sep 16th, 2011, 7:46am

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Sep 16th, 2011, 6:59am:
Hi there,
I have another declined card, that I think shoulc be accepted, Please give me some honest opinions . I put it here so youcan see it.
Thank you,
Sandy

You are using a picture of a little statuette. Did you make the statue? If not you are possibly breaching copyright. Did you do any research to check if the makers of the item allow this use? This alone is a good reason to decline the card.
The lighting on the statue is not very good, there are blown highlights and the face is in shadow. You need a reflector in front to send a soft light back onto the face. Also, perhaps a lower angle would be good, so that you are level with the eyes.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #78 - Sep 16th, 2011, 8:31am

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Sep 16th, 2011, 6:59am:
Hi there,
Thank you,
Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Maybe your card fell into this guideline from the Wiki?  Just guessing . . .

"Use of items such as a Teddy Bear - OK, but must be used creatively and be of studio quality. It must also not infringe on the copyright of the manufacturer. It is best not to use store-bought items in your photos."

Your second card of a wedding cake, I agree with the reviewer.  Customers will not know those dark lines on the top and bottom are 'supposed to be there'.  If it were my card, I'd blend them out and resubmit no questions asked.  Remember the reviewers look at our cards from a consumer standpoint based on experience.  We often look at our cards as art and therefore feel they are fine the way they are, but that does not mean the customer will have the save view we do.  We need to be our own worse critic in this business.  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #79 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:47pm

Thank you for the honest opinions... The angel , I have had for years and is a dollar store non marked piece...the photo was taken that way on purpose, because the verse was about the mom being an obscure guardian angel in his life.
Believe me I am my own worst critic, which is why I did want some opinions, besides my own. I liked the impressionist cake and the way the framing worked out.
But, I live and learn with each piece I create...so thank you again. It has been hard having 0ver 60 percent of my cards being returned for edits . Mostly based on the art side, when in the past it has been a few here and there because of pronunciation errors.  
anyways...thanks for the listen it is well heeded, on to more creation!
Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Deborah_133004
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #80 - Nov 15th, 2011, 10:52pm

Due to neccesity I have had to walk away from GCU and cards for some time (nothing to do with GCU) and was very surprised to suddenly recieve emails telling me that old cards that had been up for sometime had been declined.

However like most people commenting here once I got over the initial shock am pleased to see these standards introduced and the increase in communication from reviewers. I myself had doubts about some of my declines when initially uploading as I guess as a newbie had assumed that these standards where already part of the review process as we were encouraged to put them up "as you never know what will sell" and I guess I thought someone would stop me from putting up a REALLY bad card.

In future though maybe you could send an email out of major changes like this so that it will not come as such a surprise to those of us who may not have had time to read the forum or blog.

I also would be quite happy to be asked now (not initially, before reading this forum) if my declined cards can be used as examples, I would not like to give a blanket yes but am happy on a case by case basis although I have already deleted most of the REALLY bad ones lol

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #81 - Dec 17th, 2011, 1:11pm

I agree with the marketability standards, and appreciate all the time consuming work Mindy and Staff are doing to promote GCU.  I can also understand that is it very hard on reviewers to turn down cards, and go through older cards ... and want to express my appreciation to them, Thank You!
I'm proud to be a member of GCU, it can only get better from here.
Janet Lee Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #82 - Dec 19th, 2011, 3:36pm

Quote from Janet_134086 on Dec 17th, 2011, 1:11pm:
I agree with the marketability standards, and appreciate all the time consuming work Mindy and Staff are doing to promote GCU.  I can also understand that is it very hard on reviewers to turn down cards, and go through older cards ... and want to express my appreciation to them, Thank You!
I'm proud to be a member of GCU, it can only get better from here.
Janet Lee Smiley

Thanks Janet!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Marie_134287
artist

Reply #83 - Dec 21st, 2011, 8:50am

I've had cards declined recently and after a 2nd look, I agree with reviewers. So, I appreciate what the reviewers have to say and try to follow their tips. I  view their "eye on the ground" as a good thing. It's helped me become a better designer.

Email   IP Logged
lori_221855
GCU Newbies

Reply #84 - Jul 8th, 2017, 3:02pm

Recently I spoke with Mindy on the phone to ask how to submit a card to be sure I would do that correctly,  but before going through all the items,  Mindy suggested it might not be for me.  My phone line is not the best as we live in the mountains,  so I had to ask her to slow down & repeat,  so she may have been too busy.
That being said,  the reviewers gave me #1 rating for uniqueness & GOOD for photo quality,  yet I was rejected for no good reason & closing my store in a few days!!  

Unfortunately ,  if I knew what was rejected, I could have corrected and resubmitted the card,  but was not given that opportunity.  This was a very unique picture that people thought it was photo shopped,  so it would have been an asset to GCU.  I also have an accomplished array of watercolor paintings,  that might be an asset if given the opportunity.  

I understand  the new terms do not have to give you a reason ,  so there is no recourse,  but GCU may be missing out on some good new artists.

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #85 - Jul 8th, 2017, 3:41pm

In my observation, making cards with photographic images are the hardest types to get approved at GCU. (Having a good photograph doesn't mean it makes for a good greeting card.) If you are very keen on making cards, perhaps you might try opening a new account (with a new store name) when this one closes and make some cards with your watercolors as backgrounds instead.  

If this doesn't work, don't get discouraged, as there are other printing venues you can explore. Think of what authors must do: they might try scores, if not hundreds, of publishers before they find the right match. Any "rejection" here does not mean you won't find a market elsewhere.

Good luck on your future endeavors!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #86 - Jul 8th, 2017, 4:55pm

Hi Lori,

I'm confused with something you stated - "the reviewers gave me #1 rating for uniqueness & GOOD for photo quality".

There is no ratings on GCU from the reviewers.

You need to understand that EVERY image you create will have huge competition in the greeting card world. Your work, photography or paintings, must have strong marketability and appeal to a wide market in order to have a chance in competing with other cards of a similar nature on the site.

When/if you should ever open another store on any site which has an approval or acceptance process, I strongly recommend you always put your best foot forward. If you are a watercolor artist, then I'm guessing you are not a trained photographer, so watercolor paintings would be your 'best foot' so to speak. Smiley

Good luck on your artistic adventures!

Email   IP Logged
Olivia_429016
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Jan 16th, 2018, 12:30pm

I have also received a few cards that were messed up in production, and I wouldlike to say that GCU was excellent in handling that with a replacement. I still love the cards here better than any other sites.

IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.