Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Part 2 (Read 35659 times)
Sandy_132125
artist

Re: NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Par
Reply #75 - Sep 16th, 2011, 7:14am

I also have several of this design
 http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/zoom.asp?pid=862480&w=1&ref =details_large_view

that have been approved by different reviewers at different times. But, one reviewer is asking me to:

Please Note: Thanks for the note, Sandy, but now that our new marketability standars are in place at GCU we feel this card needs to be edited by removing the black / gray squiggly lines at the very top and bottom of the image, as they are distracting, and take away from the overall image. I do not know how long ago the others were approved. Could be before our new marketability stands were in place. Please edit this card and any other returned to you with the same issue. Thanks so much.  
Three of the approved ones were yesterday by a different reviewer. I have resent the request , or I wouldn't be posting here, and again the five this person declined are reviewed by the same person with the above note...
I feel that the design is fine the way I created it,
Sincerely,
Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Reply #76 - Sep 16th, 2011, 7:44am

Sandy, I think that card would have been declined due to the copyright on the angel statue.  Just guessing, but a clear possibility.
It's cute, though.

Bright

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Norma_133903
artist

Reply #77 - Sep 16th, 2011, 7:46am

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Sep 16th, 2011, 6:59am:
Hi there,
I have another declined card, that I think shoulc be accepted, Please give me some honest opinions . I put it here so youcan see it.
Thank you,
Sandy

http://www.redbubble.com/people/budrfli/art/7766281-happy-birthday-mom

You are using a picture of a little statuette. Did you make the statue? If not you are possibly breaching copyright. Did you do any research to check if the makers of the item allow this use? This alone is a good reason to decline the card.
The lighting on the statue is not very good, there are blown highlights and the face is in shadow. You need a reflector in front to send a soft light back onto the face. Also, perhaps a lower angle would be good, so that you are level with the eyes.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #78 - Sep 16th, 2011, 8:31am

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Sep 16th, 2011, 6:59am:
Hi there,
I have another declined card, that I think shoulc be accepted, Please give me some honest opinions . I put it here so youcan see it.
Thank you,
Sandy

http://www.redbubble.com/people/budrfli/art/7766281-happy-birthday-mom

Hi Sandy,

Maybe your card fell into this guideline from the Wiki?  Just guessing . . .

"Use of items such as a Teddy Bear - OK, but must be used creatively and be of studio quality. It must also not infringe on the copyright of the manufacturer. It is best not to use store-bought items in your photos."

Your second card of a wedding cake, I agree with the reviewer.  Customers will not know those dark lines on the top and bottom are 'supposed to be there'.  If it were my card, I'd blend them out and resubmit no questions asked.  Remember the reviewers look at our cards from a consumer standpoint based on experience.  We often look at our cards as art and therefore feel they are fine the way they are, but that does not mean the customer will have the save view we do.  We need to be our own worse critic in this business.  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #79 - Sep 16th, 2011, 12:47pm

Thank you for the honest opinions... The angel , I have had for years and is a dollar store non marked piece...the photo was taken that way on purpose, because the verse was about the mom being an obscure guardian angel in his life.
Believe me I am my own worst critic, which is why I did want some opinions, besides my own. I liked the impressionist cake and the way the framing worked out.
But, I live and learn with each piece I create...so thank you again. It has been hard having 0ver 60 percent of my cards being returned for edits . Mostly based on the art side, when in the past it has been a few here and there because of pronunciation errors.  
anyways...thanks for the listen it is well heeded, on to more creation!
Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Deborah_133004
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #80 - Nov 15th, 2011, 10:52pm

Due to neccesity I have had to walk away from GCU and cards for some time (nothing to do with GCU) and was very surprised to suddenly recieve emails telling me that old cards that had been up for sometime had been declined.

However like most people commenting here once I got over the initial shock am pleased to see these standards introduced and the increase in communication from reviewers. I myself had doubts about some of my declines when initially uploading as I guess as a newbie had assumed that these standards where already part of the review process as we were encouraged to put them up "as you never know what will sell" and I guess I thought someone would stop me from putting up a REALLY bad card.

In future though maybe you could send an email out of major changes like this so that it will not come as such a surprise to those of us who may not have had time to read the forum or blog.

I also would be quite happy to be asked now (not initially, before reading this forum) if my declined cards can be used as examples, I would not like to give a blanket yes but am happy on a case by case basis although I have already deleted most of the REALLY bad ones lol

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #81 - Dec 17th, 2011, 1:11pm

I agree with the marketability standards, and appreciate all the time consuming work Mindy and Staff are doing to promote GCU.  I can also understand that is it very hard on reviewers to turn down cards, and go through older cards ... and want to express my appreciation to them, Thank You!
I'm proud to be a member of GCU, it can only get better from here.
Janet Lee Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #82 - Dec 19th, 2011, 3:36pm

Quote from Janet_134086 on Dec 17th, 2011, 1:11pm:
I agree with the marketability standards, and appreciate all the time consuming work Mindy and Staff are doing to promote GCU.  I can also understand that is it very hard on reviewers to turn down cards, and go through older cards ... and want to express my appreciation to them, Thank You!
I'm proud to be a member of GCU, it can only get better from here.
Janet Lee Smiley

Thanks Janet!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Marie_134287
artist

Reply #83 - Dec 21st, 2011, 8:50am

I've had cards declined recently and after a 2nd look, I agree with reviewers. So, I appreciate what the reviewers have to say and try to follow their tips. I  view their "eye on the ground" as a good thing. It's helped me become a better designer.

Email   IP Logged
lori_221855
GCU Newbies

Reply #84 - Jul 8th, 2017, 3:02pm

Recently I spoke with Mindy on the phone to ask how to submit a card to be sure I would do that correctly,  but before going through all the items,  Mindy suggested it might not be for me.  My phone line is not the best as we live in the mountains,  so I had to ask her to slow down & repeat,  so she may have been too busy.
That being said,  the reviewers gave me #1 rating for uniqueness & GOOD for photo quality,  yet I was rejected for no good reason & closing my store in a few days!!  

Unfortunately ,  if I knew what was rejected, I could have corrected and resubmitted the card,  but was not given that opportunity.  This was a very unique picture that people thought it was photo shopped,  so it would have been an asset to GCU.  I also have an accomplished array of watercolor paintings,  that might be an asset if given the opportunity.  

I understand  the new terms do not have to give you a reason ,  so there is no recourse,  but GCU may be missing out on some good new artists.

Email   IP Logged
Stacia_208183
Gold Member

Reply #85 - Jul 8th, 2017, 3:41pm

In my observation, making cards with photographic images are the hardest types to get approved at GCU. (Having a good photograph doesn't mean it makes for a good greeting card.) If you are very keen on making cards, perhaps you might try opening a new account (with a new store name) when this one closes and make some cards with your watercolors as backgrounds instead.  

If this doesn't work, don't get discouraged, as there are other printing venues you can explore. Think of what authors must do: they might try scores, if not hundreds, of publishers before they find the right match. Any "rejection" here does not mean you won't find a market elsewhere.

Good luck on your future endeavors!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #86 - Jul 8th, 2017, 4:55pm

Hi Lori,

I'm confused with something you stated - "the reviewers gave me #1 rating for uniqueness & GOOD for photo quality".

There is no ratings on GCU from the reviewers.

You need to understand that EVERY image you create will have huge competition in the greeting card world. Your work, photography or paintings, must have strong marketability and appeal to a wide market in order to have a chance in competing with other cards of a similar nature on the site.

When/if you should ever open another store on any site which has an approval or acceptance process, I strongly recommend you always put your best foot forward. If you are a watercolor artist, then I'm guessing you are not a trained photographer, so watercolor paintings would be your 'best foot' so to speak. Smiley

Good luck on your artistic adventures!

Email   IP Logged
Olivia_429016
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Jan 16th, 2018, 12:30pm

I have also received a few cards that were messed up in production, and I wouldlike to say that GCU was excellent in handling that with a replacement. I still love the cards here better than any other sites.

IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.