Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Part 2 (Read 35660 times)
Card_Review_Team
artist

Re: NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Par
Reply #60 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:16am

Cards returned by customers for quality issues *within the artist's control* are returned to the artist for edits or declined if we feel that no change can be made to the card that would bring the card up to marketability standards (out-of-focus images, excessive noise, etc). We've always done this. We wouldn't leave a questionable card online for another customer to purchase and return.  

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 5:57am:
With all due respect, to the Review Team and Administration, this is where direct feedback to us artists might need some work.  I appreciate the fact that there is communication between all of us and I think it should even include when there are issues with cards.  I know for myself, I don't ever hear if there are problems if people buy my cards.  And quite honestly, I cannot afford to buy a sample of each one to check for quality myself.  I simply haven't the funds available.  So, it makes sense to me to be told if someone orders a card I made and they end up dissatisfied with it.  As it stands right now, I'll never know about it - sure, it could just be their opinion but I'd still like to know what they might find unacceptable to have to have it returned.  

Perhaps this could be added to the "wish list" - direct customer feedback even if filtered through the folks who have to deal with returns of cards.  I'd seriously appreciate knowing if a customer ended up unhappy with something I made.  I think the communication to sort out such issues will only help with the marketability growing pains in the long run.

If we artists are going to have to abide by new standards for better marketability, then wouldn't this seem like a valuable asset to know if customers are happy with our own products or to provide feedback when there are problems?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #61 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:40am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:05am:
Quote from Rene_136607 on Aug 13th, 2011, 8:55am:
I am closing my store today. I have enough stress in my life that I don't need GCU's judgment.

This is a total shame you feel urged to close up.  I'm trying to learn from the experience.  Rene, did they give you a reason as to why they want to decline the card?  Have you tried emailing Administration on this issue?  Oh, man, if you are leaving with a good selling card then what hope have I got of staying on in the long run??  

Attitude Donna, that's your hope and what you have.  You are learning from the experience and being challenged to improve.  None of us know what other stress Rene may have in her life right now and all of us have been in a 'bad place' where we walk away from something when we normally would accept the challenge.  Her decision is personal and private.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #62 - Aug 13th, 2011, 10:18am

I guess I just feel bad that she dropped a bomb and didn't explain any further as to what the actual issue with her card is or if she's communicated with Admin.  I know I've been a pain in the behind but at least there's been a lot of support and communication with fellow artists and Admin and Reviewers to help gain a deeper understanding.

I'm trying to learn all I can slowing down to catch my breath and understand the what and why of the process.  It's starting to come together - slow as it may, but I'm striving for better now...

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #63 - Aug 13th, 2011, 12:35pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:40am:
I am closing my store today. I have enough stress in my life that I don't need GCU's judgment.

This is a total shame you feel urged to close up.  I'm trying to learn from the experience.  Rene, did they give you a reason as to why they want to decline the card?  Have you tried emailing Administration on this issue?  Oh, man, if you are leaving with a good selling card then what hope have I got of staying on in the long run??  

Attitude Donna, that's your hope and what you have.  You are learning from the experience and being challenged to improve.  None of us know what other stress Rene may have in her life right now and all of us have been in a 'bad place' where we walk away from something when we normally would accept the challenge.  Her decision is personal and private.

Doreen is always so sensible and I am happy you are here, Doreen!

Another dumb question from me:  Reviewer just used a term above "excessive noise" exactly what is that?

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #64 - Aug 13th, 2011, 12:41pm

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Aug 13th, 2011, 12:35pm:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:40am:

Another dumb question from me:  Reviewer just used a term above "excessive noise" exactly what is that?

Excessive noise in an image refers to a graininess, almost always an undesirable feature in a photograph or scanned piece.  In the digital world, excessive noise often comes in multi-colored graininess called color noise.

It can come from light levels being too low when the image was taken.  It can come from a lack of quality in the camera and/or lens.

It can come from too much image compression, such as when you save a jpg file over and over again...it degrades the quality every time.

Does that help Myrna?

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #65 - Aug 13th, 2011, 2:25pm

Quote from Card_Review_Team on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:16am:
Cards returned by customers for quality issues *within the artist's control* are returned to the artist for edits or declined if we feel that no change can be made to the card that would bring the card up to marketability standards (out-of-focus images, excessive noise, etc). We've always done this. We wouldn't leave a questionable card online for another customer to purchase and return.

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Thank you for clarifying... I think I'd feel really bad if something I made was returned and I didn't know about it if it was something I could fix... good to know that there is indeed a catch in place.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #66 - Aug 13th, 2011, 2:33pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 12:41pm:
SNIP

It can come from too much image compression, such as when you save a jpg file over and over again...it degrades the quality every time.

Does that help Myrna? [/quote]

I second that sentiment!  I certainly appreciate Doreen's input...

Just curious, and correct me if I am wrong, Doreen... when an image is saved over and over, isn't it best to rename and save fresh each time and not over the original file?  Also, when a digital file is moved from here and there and back again, it is best to cut and move and not copy and move.  Correct?

And the other bane of my life right now - deciding on the best way to archive my digital files...

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #67 - Aug 13th, 2011, 2:45pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 2:33pm:
Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 13th, 2011, 12:41pm:
SNIP

Does that help Myrna?

I second that sentiment!  I certainly appreciate Doreen's input...

Just curious, and correct me if I am wrong, Doreen... when an image is saved over and over, isn't it best to rename and save fresh each time and not over the original file?  Also, when a digital file is moved from here and there and back again, it is best to cut and move and not copy and move.  Correct?

And the other bane of my life right now - deciding on the best way to archive my digital files... [/quote]

Well...saving with a different name can help you with excessive compression when working with file types like jpgs.  When working with uncompressed files such as PSDs and uncompressed TIFF files, you can save as many times as you want with the same name.

The best thing to do with you need a jpg format for upload is to always go back to the original uncompressed file, do your resizing and save a fresh jpg with a new name...yes, Donna Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #68 - Aug 14th, 2011, 5:00am

Quote from Eve_138255 on Aug 12th, 2011, 6:20pm:
Quote from Sandy_132125 on Aug 8th, 2011, 11:53am:

I must admit the rose one didn't appeal to me, but this one I feel is very eye-catchingly bright and cheerful.

Thank you Eve, for taking the time to give an opinion. They asked for me to resubmit "Sunny" with the ellipsis corrected. I did write back to tell them that I was not using my dots in that way. To me as an artist I sometimes use periods to center greetings, or , in my opinion as part of my art. I was told that i could change it or delete it. Because I was still happy with the way I created it I deleted it and put it on another site...I have a similar card that was accepted for the summer camp request.
I appreciate that my rose wedding cake thank you did not appeal to you.But, it was done as an abstract. I also had one that was just the picture of the cake by itself in the art collection category. Both were declined as being blurry. I created them that way on purpose.
Thanks again for hearing me out,  
Sandy! Cool

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #69 - Aug 14th, 2011, 5:06am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 13th, 2011, 2:25pm:
Quote from Card_Review_Team on Aug 13th, 2011, 9:16am:

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Thank you for clarifying... I think I'd feel really bad if something I made was returned and I didn't know about it if it was something I could fix... good to know that there is indeed a catch in place.

I did have a card that was returned because of a font i used. Evidently the background in the font did not print well. The reviewer wrote a nice explanaion and it did not offend me in any way when I saw it. I was told I could resubmit if it was fixed... BUT , it was one of my older cards and I have no idea how long it was there before I noticed it... So, I do think it would be helpful if we did receive an email telling us so we can clear it up...Also,my apologies, if that was done and I missed the email at some point. Knowimng me, that is a possibility  Roll Eyes  
I have also received a few cards that were messed up in production, and I wouldlike to say that GCU was excellent in handling that with a replacement. I still love the cards here better than any other sites.
Have a great creative day!
Sandy Cool

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #70 - Aug 15th, 2011, 12:48pm

Quote from Rene_136607 on Aug 12th, 2011, 5:56pm:
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
I asked to have my store looked at for "marketability". They want to decline one of my top selling graduation cards. WTF. I'm ready to close my store or else put everything in my private gallery so the reviewer "wisdom" won't be needed. Ya I'm really pissed off. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Rene, sorry to hear your reaction here.  Not sure why this would fire you up vs opening a discussion.

Looking at the reviews I believe your card in question was pid#615524 which was not declined but returned to you for edits with these comments:

Remove distracting branch in upper left corner and resubmit for re-review, thank you!
Also note your card title should be more descriptive and include terms like: oak tree

Sending you an email to talk offline if you like.  undecided

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #71 - Aug 15th, 2011, 12:55pm

Quote from Catherine_136771 on Aug 13th, 2011, 6:08am:
It would also be good to know why a card has been returned. Is it the card design or a production issue?  I've had some quality issues with GCU cards I've ordered (not recently), such as a streaky finish on a glossy card and cards trimmed incorrectly.  I was able to get replacement cards, but I was exact about the problem.  If a customer is dissatisfied, I would hope that the card design wouldn't be faulted if it was a production problem.

Correct, the artist nor the card design are faulted if there is a production problem.  We make the customer happy, address the issue(s) internally or with our printing partner if fixes or learnings need to be made and move forward.

Email   IP Logged
Mayur_156714
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #72 - Sep 4th, 2011, 10:49am

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #73 - Sep 6th, 2011, 4:28pm

Please note these new marketability guidelines for Custom Front Photo Cards.  Designs should be:

1.  Be creative, compositions should use creative and appropriate framing/treatment around or enhancing the photo.  Specifically: Photo area should serve as the focal point of the overall design. Compositional emphasis should be on the photo, not other elements on the card. In other words, the design shouldn’t look like the artist took an existing greeting card, and shoehorned a photo on it.  Preferably, smaller photo areas should be framed in a way that makes sense with the rest of the design.  Shape of photo area, if not generic (circle, square, rectangle) should be in keeping with the purpose of the card (for example, a Christmas tree shaped area on a Valentine’s Day card would be in error).

2.  Maximize the photo size as the focal point.   Specifically: Entire photo area (a single photo or multiple photos) should ideally use 1/3 to 1/2 of the card’s surface. Exceptions will be made for exceptional designs.

3.  NOT a one size fits all approach.  If design is used to create multiple cards, elements should vary and be appropriate by occasion, age, relation, gender  

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #74 - Sep 16th, 2011, 6:59am

Hi there,  
I have another declined card, that I think shoulc be accepted, Please give me some honest opinions . I put it here so youcan see it.
Thank you,
Sandy

http://www.redbubble.com/people/budrfli/art/7766281-happy-birthday-mom

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.