Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Part 2 (Read 35822 times)
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Par
Reply #45 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:03pm

Mindy, I've been dreading this day and now my cards are being looked at and several declined.  I understand some of the reasons but others are being kicked back for me with very kind and spelled out suggestions on what I can do to fix the issues.  Instead of these cards being declined, can't they just come back for edits?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #46 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:14pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Aug 5th, 2011, 2:03pm:
Mindy, I've been dreading this day and now my cards are being looked at and several declined.  I understand some of the reasons but others are being kicked back for me with very kind and spelled out suggestions on what I can do to fix the issues.  Instead of these cards being declined, can't they just come back for edits?  

Hi Donna,
I hope the dreading is over and it's not as deep cutting nor as painful as you thought.  Thank you for your reply to share your thoughts.  The review team will be identifying designs and declining those that even with mentioned fixes/edits would not reach the bar or should be started from scratch.  And they will be returning for edits those they think have merit and with modifications may be marketable.  

As we are new with the process if you have any examples of cards (pid#) that you think don't are following the above logic please share here.

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #47 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:24pm

PID 460635

Reviewer kindly gives a detailed explanation and then emailed me in a separate communication identifying a different image that would work well.

Comments:

This floral image is lovely however the oval frames and curved text on this and other cards are not professional. The oval can be pleasing when combined with elements that are vintage because that’s the era it’s from, but many of your designs would be more marketable without the oval. And the curved lettering is rarely pleasing, if in line with a waving flag for example you can pull it off.  

Let me first say I totally understand the reasoning for the decline as stated and I do appreciate the time taken to offer suggestions, however this is something I can fix.  There are two other cards with similar set up/look and I can make the same adjustments if they will meet the new marketability requirements.

It just seems like something I can readily deal with instead of having the card removed and my having to submit it all over again with the adjustments made.  I mean after all - if the reviewer was kind enough to take the time to make these suggestions, why not give me a chance to apply what was suggested?

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #48 - Aug 8th, 2011, 11:36am

Ok, I have posted in the next messages a few of my problem cards, first i got my feelings hurt, but I really am wanting to cooperate, so I will be glad to hear opinions . I really do want to know when I have a "bad" card! thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #49 - Aug 8th, 2011, 11:50am

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #50 - Aug 8th, 2011, 11:53am

Email   IP Logged
Rene_136607
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #51 - Aug 12th, 2011, 5:56pm

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
I asked to have my store looked at for "marketability". They want to decline one of my top selling graduation cards. WTF. I'm ready to close my store or else put everything in my private gallery so the reviewer "wisdom" won't be needed. Ya I'm really pissed off. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Email   IP Logged
Eve_138255
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Aug 12th, 2011, 6:20pm

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Aug 8th, 2011, 11:53am:

I must admit the rose one didn't appeal to me, but this one I feel is very eye-catchingly bright and cheerful.

IP Logged
Eve_138255
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Aug 12th, 2011, 6:27pm

Quote from Sandy_132125 on Aug 8th, 2011, 11:50am:

The wedding cards that you have similar to this, I prefer. This is quite abstract, while the wedding cards give a better impression of a cake surrounded with roses.

IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #54 - Aug 12th, 2011, 7:34pm

Quote from Rene_136607 on Aug 12th, 2011, 5:56pm:
I asked to have my store looked at for "marketability". They want to decline one of my top selling graduation cards. WTF. I'm ready to close my store or else put everything in my private gallery so the reviewer "wisdom" won't be needed. Ya I'm really pissed off. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

do you have a PID for this card?  I'd like to see it.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #55 - Aug 12th, 2011, 11:17pm

A point of information for artists considering taking the Private Gallery route:
Private cards are subject to the same marketability standards as public cards.
For cards placed in the Private Gallery via Private-Waive Review, any customer satisfaction issues and/or returns will be the artist’s responsibility.

Regards,
Reviewer 443

Quote from Rene_136607 on Aug 12th, 2011, 5:56pm:

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #56 - Aug 13th, 2011, 5:57am

With all due respect, to the Review Team and Administration, this is where direct feedback to us artists might need some work.  I appreciate the fact that there is communication between all of us and I think it should even include when there are issues with cards.  I know for myself, I don't ever hear if there are problems if people buy my cards.  And quite honestly, I cannot afford to buy a sample of each one to check for quality myself.  I simply haven't the funds available.  So, it makes sense to me to be told if someone orders a card I made and they end up dissatisfied with it.  As it stands right now, I'll never know about it - sure, it could just be their opinion but I'd still like to know what they might find unacceptable to have to have it returned.  

Perhaps this could be added to the "wish list" - direct customer feedback even if filtered through the folks who have to deal with returns of cards.  I'd seriously appreciate knowing if a customer ended up unhappy with something I made.  I think the communication to sort out such issues will only help with the marketability growing pains in the long run.

If we artists are going to have to abide by new standards for better marketability, then wouldn't this seem like a valuable asset to know if customers are happy with our own products or to provide feedback when there are problems?

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_136771
artist

Reply #57 - Aug 13th, 2011, 6:08am

It would also be good to know why a card has been returned. Is it the card design or a production issue?  I've had some quality issues with GCU cards I've ordered (not recently), such as a streaky finish on a glossy card and cards trimmed incorrectly.  I was able to get replacement cards, but I was exact about the problem.  If a customer is dissatisfied, I would hope that the card design wouldn't be faulted if it was a production problem.

Email   IP Logged
Rene_136607
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #58 - Aug 13th, 2011, 8:55am

I am closing my store today. I have enough stress in my life that I don't need GCU's judgment.  

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #59 - Aug 13th, 2011, 9:05am

Quote from Rene_136607 on Aug 13th, 2011, 8:55am:
I am closing my store today. I have enough stress in my life that I don't need GCU's judgment.

This is a total shame you feel urged to close up.  I'm trying to learn from the experience.  Rene, did they give you a reason as to why they want to decline the card?  Have you tried emailing Administration on this issue?  Oh, man, if you are leaving with a good selling card then what hope have I got of staying on in the long run??

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.