Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Part 2 (Read 35666 times)
Tanya_131398
artist

Re: NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Par
Reply #30 - Jul 27th, 2011, 7:10am

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Jul 27th, 2011, 7:01am:
Thank you Tanya; I was thinking along the lines of here in the forum, when Mindy requests from us a card in the Wanted Card section from a customers email.  

Well in that case, Mindy usually posts what category(s) the requested cards should go in, so I would take that to mean that the requested card would be available to the general public and therefore subject to the same review process.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #31 - Jul 27th, 2011, 7:29am

Thank you Tanya; I was thinking along the lines of here in the forum, when Mindy requests from us a card in the Wanted Card section from a customers email.  

I would think the answer to that is YES Myrna.  Just because the 'need' for a specific card (and these do ALL end up in the public marketplace) may be considered silly or quirky does not mean that those who create the cards to fill that request should offer anything less than their BEST design skills.  Its a quality issue and I would guess that ANY card that will be sold in the public GCU marketplace will need to hold up to the same standards, regardless of the 'category' or 'purpose' of the card.

Email   IP Logged
Terri_138640
artist

Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2011, 9:57am

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Jul 26th, 2011, 9:04pm:
Doreen said it perfectly in the closing to her post in the thread that was lost.

It went something like this:
"It's their playground, I just swing in it."

Had to chuckle over that statement and have thought of it often as I read the threads about marketability.  GCU is a super business that allows me to submit my card designs for their growing market and have a free store to boot.  They already spend a significant amount of time listening to and incorporating artist's suggestions.  Also, the administrators and staff, including the reviewers, are always willing to help when I have a question or a technical problem.  The marketability standards and guidelines were covered well in Mindy's post and are very reasonable.  And in GCU Wiki here: http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html

GCU is not in the business of teaching us how to make marketable and commercial appealing cards.  They have enough on their plate without that.  There are wonderful resources and professional designers advice and input available from card designers within our ranks and across the internet and library.  Here are a few from my long list of resources that I have gained and grown from:

http://gcucommunity.com
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/index.html
http://salonofart.wordpress.com
http://kateharperblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/makemoresalesatgcu
http://www.squidoo.com/designcardsatgcu
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/photo-tips.html
"The Complete Guide to Greeting Card Design and Illustration" by Eva Szela
Plus the GCU Wiki and all the new videos at GCU University

I believe it is important to think of a "no thank you" as a creative challenge, not a personal putdown.  We cannot expect GCU to tell us why a card was not accepted or how to make it better, but we can find out through these other excellent resources.  Experiment, try new ideas and new techniques, ask and see what others are doing.  Most all the experienced artists here are willing to share. Use and give input to the weekly card critique session on the GCU Community Blog.

As Stanlely says, .."after the learning curve, this is going to be good for ALL of us."  

Kati

I just observed this in another thread, but I may as well say it here too:  a little clarity in the general feedback, even just a few new things added to the FAQ rather than individually, will take a lot OFF their plate. If we know they will not sell stuffed bunny photos, no problem.  We won't upload them.  That's a whole bunch of cards they don't need to weed through.  Then we and they can focus on the 'fuzzier' aspects like maybe they just don't think that style will sell. We win by not wasting time, they win by not wasting time and man/woman power and good PR continues.
Thanks for posting those links, I'll check them out.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2011, 10:17am

Terri,  GCU is already addressing the clarity issue.
Here:
http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html
http://www.gcuwiki.com/marketability.html

These guidelines will evolve and be very useful for all of us.  It will be a win, win situation.

Yeah!
Kati

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2011, 10:11pm

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Jul 27th, 2011, 12:56am:
It's a milestone, Rebecca - Half a million cards available in GCU's on-line inventory, making it truly the world's biggest card store.

Corrie

Thank you, Corrie!  

If GCU hitting 500,000 cards is a milestone and makes it the world's biggest card store, then why is GCU deleting cards that have already been approved? That part just doesn't make any sense. If they were not good cards, they wouldn't have been approved in the first place.

It seems to me that GCU's slogan of "any card imaginable" is upheld by those approved cards. Why delete them? I can understand turning down newly submitted cards in the attempt to improve the site by upping the standards of what is approved. I just don't understand why GCU would want to undo hard work that is already done and has gotten us to that wonderful milestone.

To me, this seems like we're kicking out the old guy who helped us get where we are, just because he is slow. Meaning the old approved cards, of course.  Grin

I guess I can understand deleting cards that have been available since this place started, that haven't even sold once.  undecided

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2011, 3:53pm

Personally I don't think it is a bad idea, every once in awhile I go through my cards myself and weed some out.   Haven't we all done that or is it just me.  

If you create a card and you think it is a real winner and GCU turns it down, put it on Zazzle.  It won't be a waste of your time if you do that and if it sells on Zazzle, you can come back here and  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:17pm

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Jul 28th, 2011, 3:53pm:
Personally I don't think it is a bad idea, every once in awhile I go through my cards myself and weed some out.   Haven't we all done that or is it just me.  

If you create a card and you think it is a real winner and GCU turns it down, put it on Zazzle.  It won't be a waste of your time if you do that and if it sells on Zazzle, you can come back here and  Grin

I do weeding about every 6-months Myrna  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:48pm

Quote from Tanya_131398 on Jul 27th, 2011, 7:10am:

Well in that case, Mindy usually posts what category(s) the requested cards should go in, so I would take that to mean that the requested card would be available to the general public and therefore subject to the same review process.

Correct!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:52pm

Quote from Rebecca_140932 on Jul 27th, 2011, 10:11pm:
Quote from Corrie_131338 on Jul 27th, 2011, 12:56am:
It's a milestone, Rebecca - Half a million cards available in GCU's on-line inventory, making it truly the world's biggest card store.

Corrie

Thank you, Corrie!

If GCU hitting 500,000 cards is a milestone and makes it the world's biggest card store, then why is GCU deleting cards that have already been approved? That part just doesn't make any sense. If they were not good cards, they wouldn't have been approved in the first place.

It seems to me that GCU's slogan of "any card imaginable" is upheld by those approved cards. Why delete them? I can understand turning down newly submitted cards in the attempt to improve the site by upping the standards of what is approved. I just don't understand why GCU would want to undo hard work that is already done and has gotten us to that wonderful milestone.

To me, this seems like we're kicking out the old guy who helped us get where we are, just because he is slow. Meaning the old approved cards, of course.  Grin

I guess I can understand deleting cards that have been available since this place started, that haven't even sold once.  undecided

We're not culling based on quantity but quality.  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2011, 4:56pm

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Jul 27th, 2011, 10:17am:
Terri,  GCU is already addressing the clarity issue.
Here:
http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html
http://www.gcuwiki.com/marketability.html

These guidelines will evolve and be very useful for all of us.  It will be a win, win situation.

Yeah!
Kati

Yes a WIP.  We intend to "show" you what we mean with sample images.

Thank you to Mary and Sandy for selflessly offering for GCU to share images of your "no thank you" cards.   Smiley

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2011, 6:04pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #40 - Jul 29th, 2011, 7:33pm

Thank you for your input and constructive discussion.  Here are some answers to questions or issues brought up on one of the corrupted threads worth noting:

1.      We'll define marketability as“suitable for sale”.  A professional looking end product, with quality to compare in the greeting card market.  Whether you like Hallmark or American Greetings cards is not the issue, it’s a level of quality to compete for the buying publics’ dollars.  Good enough to sit on a rack in a store.  Often purchasing online takes a leap of faith on quality so the pressure to not disappoint an online shopper and lose their trust is very important.

2.      The bar has not been raised but merely established.  It will not be hard to reach.  

3.      GCU is making these subjective judgements based on what we feel is truly marketable most of which are based on technical merits (or lack of), again "suitable for sale".

4.      GCU is not choosing to limit nor differentiating among media/styles/forms of work that will or will not be accepted at this time.  Photography is certainly under the most scrutiny.  

5.      Guidelines are on wiki with examples images and we will continue to update as a reference

6.      Mainstream vs niche? – it is business as usual, as Doreen shares, with GCU embracing the uncommon, quirky, hard to find cards.  So mainstream is certainly not a benchmark here.    We are looking for quality in execution, a polished professional looking final product.  Have quirky animal humor?  Bring it on…when married with a quality image (in focus, good composition, etc) and related verse.

7.      Lack of sales is not a factor nor is the level of professional training the artist has or lacks

8.      NO cards are exempt – old, new, pending are subject to these guidelines effective immediately

Email   IP Logged
Stanley_134646
artist

Reply #41 - Aug 4th, 2011, 2:29pm

Just a quick note to say that I am beginning to get some feedback on cards I've submitted since the new guidelines went into effect. A couple of thoughts:

1. The suggestions from the reviewers (never got those before) are very, very helpful--gives me a feeling of having a personal coach!

2. When a card is returned for edits, I see immediately what the reviewer is talking about. These are things that I have perhaps overlooked in the past, but now understand a little better about what makes a card a great card. Those are the only kind I want. I have worked as a typesetter, and a cardinal rule was that you NEVER proofread your own work. I see the same principle at work here. The reviewers have a pair of fresh eyes, and they are on our side. I say, "Welcome!" to this kind of feedback.

3. In the long run, this can only be a good thing! The comments from the reviewers (and I even got a couple of positive comments on cards that had been approved!) are very helpful.

Email   IP Logged
Card_Review_Team
artist

Reply #42 - Aug 4th, 2011, 2:56pm

Stanley,

Thank you for this note. We (reviewers) feel lucky to be working with all the wonderful artists whose work we review. Believe me, if time allowed, we would leave more positive comments for more artists. A balance must be struck, however, or the cards wouldn't be approved in a timely fashion Smiley Thanks for your feedback; it's nice to know that our comments and suggestions are being well-received.

Reviewer 443

Quote from Stanley_134646 on Aug 4th, 2011, 2:29pm:
Just a quick note to say that I am beginning to get some feedback on cards I've submitted since the new guidelines went into effect. A couple of thoughts:

1. The suggestions from the reviewers (never got those before) are very, very helpful--gives me a feeling of having a personal coach!

2. When a card is returned for edits, I see immediately what the reviewer is talking about. These are things that I have perhaps overlooked in the past, but now understand a little better about what makes a card a great card. Those are the only kind I want. I have worked as a typesetter, and a cardinal rule was that you NEVER proofread your own work. I see the same principle at work here. The reviewers have a pair of fresh eyes, and they are on our side. I say, "Welcome!" to this kind of feedback.

3. In the long run, this can only be a good thing! The comments from the reviewers (and I even got a couple of positive comments on cards that had been approved!) are very helpful.

Email   IP Logged
Mike_154103
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #43 - Aug 4th, 2011, 6:29pm

Quote from Stanley_134646 on Aug 4th, 2011, 2:29pm:
Just a quick note to say that I am beginning to get some feedback on cards I've submitted since the new guidelines went into effect....

I say, "Welcome!" to this kind of feedback.

You're so right, Stanley... I've noticed an increase in the feedback and I'm very happy with it, too!  Very helpful!!  I've also noticed that cards (in general) seem to be getting approved faster (at least in my experience).

Lovin' the new standards and approval process.  

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #44 - Aug 5th, 2011, 2:00pm

Please note as we are taking our time to give cards a fair and unbiased review with the new marketability standards you will begin to see more cards being in a "Held" status.  This is a temporary hold until a another reviewer can give it a second look.  No need to be alarmed.

Most often you will receive a note from the reviewer like this:
"We have put this card on hold for further review.  You should receive an update from another reviewer shortly.  Thank you for your patience."

So...if you receive this message please just sit tight for the second set of eyes.  If either of the reviewers has a question for you they will ask in the card review email.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.