Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Part 2 (Read 35657 times)
Mary__137064
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Marketability Standards & Guidelines Par
Reply #15 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:30am

Mindy, I will allow full use of my non marketable cards for use as examples of what can grow wrong.  I do realize I have some doozies
do to the fact that I was trying very hard to put up a good number of
cards in hopes that my best ones would get a viewing.  At that pace,
it's tough to always put forth your best work, even if some of them
did actually sell once or twice!

Bright's Greeting Card Boutique:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Bright
Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:47am

Oh geez, if it's anything like my own lawn, by the time I get done weeding there will be nothing left!   Grin

I wonder if we'll be back under 500,000 soon?   Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:54am

lol Tom!
I do feel fine with my declines being used for a learning experience. And like some have said it does surprise sometimes on what sells. So, I do not envy the people deciding! I actually had my first two declined this week Sad But, I did use an artistic digital art piece that was meant to be blurry..and I liked very much... But I know as an artist that sometimes what we create on screen does not always pan out in the print. Hopefully this will be another step that pulls us all together and creates more sales for all of us! Think of the bumps we have allready hurdled over!
So, onward! Cool  Happy creating!
Sandy

Email   IP Logged
Valerie_148812
artist

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2011, 12:02pm

If we get a "No thank you", can we rework the design and resubmit it?

Email   IP Logged
Stanley_134646
artist

Reply #19 - Jul 26th, 2011, 3:54pm

I'd like to weigh in here and say that I believe this is a great idea! As I've been working and uploading new ones, I found myself saying a couple of times, "I bet that one's rejected," but I uploaded it anyway--thinking that if they are rejected, this time at least I'll know why. It's forced me to take a closer look at the quality before I just upload a bunch of stuff--I know no one here does anything like that Grin.  

Anyway, after the learning curve, this is going to be good for ALL of us. Hang in there, guys.

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #20 - Jul 26th, 2011, 4:31pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Jul 26th, 2011, 10:47am:

I wonder if we'll be back under 500,000 soon?   Roll Eyes

Yeah, I was thinking about that recently.  If so, they could celebrate when they hit a half million AGAIN!  

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #21 - Jul 26th, 2011, 9:04pm

Doreen said it perfectly in the closing to her post in the thread that was lost.

It went something like this:
"It's their playground, I just swing in it."

Had to chuckle over that statement and have thought of it often as I read the threads about marketability.  GCU is a super business that allows me to submit my card designs for their growing market and have a free store to boot.  They already spend a significant amount of time listening to and incorporating artist's suggestions.  Also, the administrators and staff, including the reviewers, are always willing to help when I have a question or a technical problem.  The marketability standards and guidelines were covered well in Mindy's post and are very reasonable.  And in GCU Wiki here: http://www.gcuwiki.com/ig.html

GCU is not in the business of teaching us how to make marketable and commercial appealing cards.  They have enough on their plate without that.  There are wonderful resources and professional designers advice and input available from card designers within our ranks and across the internet and library.  Here are a few from my long list of resources that I have gained and grown from:

http://gcucommunity.com
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/index.html
http://salonofart.wordpress.com
http://kateharperblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.squidoo.com/makemoresalesatgcu
http://www.squidoo.com/designcardsatgcu
http://salonofartnewsletter.weebly.com/photo-tips.html
"The Complete Guide to Greeting Card Design and Illustration" by Eva Szela
Plus the GCU Wiki and all the new videos at GCU University

I believe it is important to think of a "no thank you" as a creative challenge, not a personal putdown.  We cannot expect GCU to tell us why a card was not accepted or how to make it better, but we can find out through these other excellent resources.  Experiment, try new ideas and new techniques, ask and see what others are doing.  Most all the experienced artists here are willing to share. Use and give input to the weekly card critique session on the GCU Community Blog.

As Stanlely says, .."after the learning curve, this is going to be good for ALL of us."  

Kati

Email   IP Logged
Laura_142481
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Jul 26th, 2011, 9:54pm

So nicely stated Kati!!  

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2011, 10:26pm

Can someone let me in on what the big deal is about 500,000? Do they have some kind of limit on what they can sell or something?  Huh

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jul 27th, 2011, 12:56am

It's a milestone, Rebecca - Half a million cards available in GCU's on-line inventory, making it truly the world's biggest card store.

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #25 - Jul 27th, 2011, 4:32am

Kathleen's post makes me think we need a like button Smiley)))))

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #26 - Jul 27th, 2011, 6:24am

Curious about the scrutiny of new cards, will this same review be given to all the customer request cards as well?  Just curious because sometime when I read the requests I get the feeling the customer is just toying with GCU since some of the requests are non marketable in my humble opinion.

Email   IP Logged
Stanley_134646
artist

Reply #27 - Jul 27th, 2011, 6:33am

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Jul 27th, 2011, 12:56am:
It's a milestone, Rebecca - Half a million cards available in GCU's on-line inventory, making it truly the world's biggest card store.

Corrie

Well said. A milestone--and a BIG one. I'm approaching one myself [insert brag here] as I've sold just under 1800 cards so far. I applaud GCU and all the artists!

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_131398
artist

Reply #28 - Jul 27th, 2011, 6:57am

Quote from Myrna_134142 on Jul 27th, 2011, 6:24am:
Curious about the scrutiny of new cards, will this same review be given to all the customer request cards as well?  Just curious because sometime when I read the requests I get the feeling the customer is just toying with GCU since some of the requests are non marketable in my humble opinion.  

Myrna, it's been my experience that the majority of card requests are too personal to be a suitable offering for the general customer pool and belong in our private galleries. This should exclude these cards from the same review as cards presented for general purchase.

Email   IP Logged
Myrna_134142
artist

Reply #29 - Jul 27th, 2011, 7:01am

Thank you Tanya; I was thinking along the lines of here in the forum, when Mindy requests from us a card in the Wanted Card section from a customers email.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.