Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

you do photography? a warning about train tracks (Read 1974 times)
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

you do photography? a warning about train tracks
Jun 24th, 2011, 1:43pm

A local photographer friend of mine got a visit from Richmond VA, I think from the transportation commission, for her shots of people on the railroad tracks. It is a federal offense to be on the tracks, which I didn’t know until after I did an engagement shoot there.  Since then I have tried to warn people and now this confirms that it could be serious.  
They are prosecuting.  If you have any online anywhere you need to get those under wraps!! My brother’s best friend’s wife told him this morning to call me and let me know.  She is friends with the person and she knew i did photography.  
From what she understood they showed up at her house yesterday and not only were they going to prosecute her but also the families in the photos.  Ironically i had deleted the only ones i had a couple of weeks ago on facebook and on Zen folio. I messaged the couple as well and asked them to delete them.  
Someone must have ratted her out, unless they can come in through Facebook and check.  I just don't know how they found out.  If you let anyone else know please do it through private messages or forums that are not connected to facebook.  It is something that she may speak out on but I would rather let her be the one to do it.  Denise  

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Re: you do photography? a warning about train trac
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2011, 1:54pm

Thanks for letting us know, Denise. It's likely to be a problem around the world. We have been warned.

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2011, 2:16pm

Thanks Denise! I suppose I see the reasoning.  The tracks can be a very dangerous place to be...
 Now there are some instances where there may be nothing they can do, if they can't prove the photos were taken in a specific location where it is unlawful.  We do have a lot of track in this country now that is out of use and I would think if it is public/state property, and unposted, we have every right to 'walk the line.'   Roll Eyes  
Our best photo of my in-laws is their engagement photo taken 90 years ago, on the tracks.   Smiley
Thanks for reminding me.  I think perhaps I'll use the image for a new card.  (No one left to prosecute.)
Thanks again Denise.  I'll bet your wedding shoot was GREAT on the tracks.  

Email   IP Logged
Rosalie_136698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2011, 2:44pm

How interesting, thanks for the warning.  You wouldn't think they would spend the money to prosecute as most people wouldn't have a clue about that law, you would think they would only give a warning.    Rosie Cards

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2011, 2:53pm

not all states have the same rules.  for instance i live in tennessee but our city is also in virginia.  on the Va side it is illegal on the Tennessee side it isn't.  here is a link to all the states regulations but i am not sure when it was released.
http://www.fra.dot.gov/downloads/Safety/cross_chp9.pdf

Email   IP Logged
Brenda_135485
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2011, 2:58pm

All I can say is weird, and thanks for the info.  Who'd a thunk?

Email   IP Logged
Jay_134502
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2011, 4:28pm

There are currently 8 cards on GCU showing children on railroad tracks.  undecided
Jay and Susan

Email   IP Logged
Jane_144775
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2011, 7:26pm

Wow, thanks for the info, but I can't imagine it would be all over or for every track.  You wouldn't believe how many senior shots we get in our photo store of parents taking senior pics on tracks.   Shocked

IP Logged
Jay_134502
artist

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2011, 7:27pm

Now there appears to be just one card of children on railroad tracks.
Jay and Susan

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2011, 7:39pm

Quote from Jane_144775 on Jun 24th, 2011, 7:26pm:
Wow, thanks for the info, but I can't imagine it would be all over or for every track.  You wouldn't believe how many senior shots we get in our photo store of parents taking senior pics on tracks.   Shocked

i posted a link to the list of states and their rules...but i can tell you this from my own experience, some photographers want to shoot on the tracks and they don't care if it is illegal.  i have tried to warn several and they just say, everybody does it i am too.

Email   IP Logged
SunAtNight_145914
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2011, 11:23pm

Virginia has some odd very old laws still on the books. It is illegal in that state to photograph cemeteries after dusk or civil twilight. This old law is associated with grave robbing dating back to the 1800's. These 2 cases is just point to the need that professional photographers must get photography permits or property releases.

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2011, 11:30pm

Quote from SunAtNight_145914 on Jun 24th, 2011, 11:23pm:
Virginia has some odd very old laws still on the books. It is illegal in that state to photograph cemeteries after dusk or civil twilight. This old law is associated with grave robbing dating back to the 1800's. These 2 cases is just point to the need that professional photographers must get photography permits or property releases.

they don't call it the old dominion for nothing..haahaa.  i grew up on the va side of town and i live on the tennessee side now.  they get cheaper taxes so we just hop in the car and drive a half mile to the va side of town to shop.  we don't have to get our cars inspected or have city stickers for personal tax.  they have state income tax, we don't.   its weird living here sometimes.  up until recently the police on either side of the state line, that literally runs down main street could not cross the line to chase a criminal... they could stand on the other side of the street and be perfectly safe.  but it is a pretty little place and i would not want to live any where else really.  here is a new video they made about our city,if anyone wants to see,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVBSkR4VtM

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.