Pages: 1 2 
Horizon Lines (Read 1669 times)
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Horizon Lines
Jun 9th, 2011, 12:50pm

Hi there,

I just updated my blog with Corrie's Carnival theme so I was looking through all the beautiful coastal cards on GCU and I wanted to mention something that I noticed on a few of the photographs of ocean views.

Photographers need to remember to watch their horizon line.  It's easy to get a crooked horizon when photographing something like the ocean up against the sky and the ocean is not supposed to pour out of one side of the image  Grin

I actually never saw this in my own photos until many years ago when one of my teachers pointed it out in a photo I was so proud of...LOL.  Ever since then I am very aware to shoot straight and to always look at my images before I sell them and correct through straightening and cropping if they are crooked.

Just wanted to pass it on since I passed up a few lovely photographs on cards for my post because I didn't want them leaking on my blog page  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Re: Horizon Lines
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2011, 1:08pm

Good Advice Smiley I must check my costals for that, it never even entered my mind ty Smiley  

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2011, 1:22pm

Thank you for the tip. I'm a 'self taught' photographer and am always looking for ways to improve. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cathy_151407
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2011, 3:06pm

When trying to straighten out or check a horizon line I put a grid over the photograph.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2011, 3:13pm

Quote from Cathy_151407 on Jun 9th, 2011, 3:06pm:
When trying to straighten out or check a horizon line I put a grid over the photograph.

Really good idea Cathy  

Email   IP Logged
Terry_151326
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2011, 3:41pm

Adobe CS5 does a great job of leveling horizons using "Content Aware". It even fills in the edges of the photograph.

Terry

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2011, 3:46pm

Quote from Terry_151326 on Jun 9th, 2011, 3:41pm:
Adobe CS5 does a great job of leveling horizons using "Content Aware". It even fills in the edges of the photograph.

Terry

Yes it does Terry for those us like you and I lucky enough to have CS5  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Terry_151326
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2011, 4:33pm

If I didn't have a friend who works for Adobe I wouldn't have it either Smiley

Terry

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2011, 4:43pm

any suggestions for those of us stuck with ancient programs like PS Elements 2.0?

For the most part, I just wing it because it's about all I can do to correct an issue like that... eyeball it...

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2011, 5:12pm

Donna, use a grid over your image, or use the rulers.  I'm not familiar with elements, so can't say for sure.  Then use free transform or rotate (under transform options) to level out the background image.  

Good tip, Doreen!  Of course (to be contrary - ha!) there ARE times when artistic license allows for a tilted line, but not for making one seasick, to be sure  

Email   IP Logged
Lynn_150145
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2011, 5:54pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jun 9th, 2011, 4:43pm:
any suggestions for those of us stuck with ancient programs like PS Elements 2.0?

For the most part, I just wing it because it's about all I can do to correct an issue like that... eyeball it...

Elements 7 has a Grid feature you can call up instead of using the Ruler.  Select View and then chose from the menu.  Not sure about Elements 2 - good luck, hope it's there too! Smiley

Contemplative Creations by Lynn C. Vidler:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/contemplativecreations
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2011, 6:01pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jun 9th, 2011, 4:43pm:

Hi Donna,

Great tips from others, but even eyeballing it is better than some of what I saw today which were very noticeable to the naked eye.  If you have no other alternative.  You can print even just a grey-scale copy on cheap paper and put a ruler to it so you have some idea how far off it is.  And you can make minor adjustments to it.  I'm not suggesting it needs to be perfect, I mentioned this because there were cards out there that had the ocean skyline several degrees tilted  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Jun 9th, 2011, 6:06pm

oh gosh I should show you a pic from a whale watch - whale jumping towards the boat and major tilt... talk about feeling like I was back on the boat!!

I feel SO STUPID right now  embarrassed  I never realized PSE 2.0 has GRID LINES!!!   Shocked

Email   IP Logged
Cathy_151407
artist

Reply #13 - Jun 9th, 2011, 6:11pm

Glad to hear that PSE2 has the grid.  

I am on 8, and soon to be on 9.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2011, 6:11pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jun 9th, 2011, 6:06pm:
oh gosh I should show you a pic from a whale watch - whale jumping towards the boat and major tilt... talk about feeling like I was back on the boat!!

I feel SO STUPID right now  embarrassed  I never realized PSE 2.0 has GRID LINES!!!   Shocked

Donna, don't feel like that!  How do you think most of the rest of us learned Photoshop?  I am completely self-taught in Photoshop and struggled through Elements for years before jumping up to CS-2 and this year took the jump to CS5.  You are doing great and someday you'll be pointing out the things you've learned to others!  

I think if a whale was jumping towards my boat my photo would have major tilt too  Grin

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.