Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
place for critiquing new work? (Read 3139 times)
Tanya_135475
Gold Member
artist

Re: place for critiquing new work?
Reply #15 - Jun 8th, 2011, 10:59am

I think it's a Great idea as well Corri, glad you put in the bit about being nice, nothing worse than trampling over someones feelings, I would hate to see sharp to the point not so nice things said, but if that is never going to happen, its a dang gooood idea, could do with a bit of that for mine at times Wink

I only know one thing really, don't chase sales, this chasing causes you grief blockage and not a good feeling, I rarely if ever watch the card purchased roll, it could become very disheartening, design from the heart and be true to yourself, don't over complicate things (I am a no1 sinner of that one) if you do... take yourself back to basics.

And my advice I usually ignore and go off in my own world  Grin Grin

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2011, 11:44am

I don't mind honest critiques if I can learn from them.  What I can't stand is something I experienced when sharing photographs on a sharing site - "your work sucks" and that was all that was said.  Now, I can sort of handle this sort of comment if it were followed up with "if this were my image, I would... " and explain oneself.  And I think if someone is going to post an image for critique, one should go in with the expectation that it's going to be looked at for ways to improve.  It all comes down to how that is presented.  I paint horse models and I've shared images of those on a group headed up by a fellow artist there - she's great in pointing out areas of weakness but balances her critique with what might be good about the piece.  

As for chasing sales, I'm here trying to figure out the whole business...if I'm failing to grasp simple selling concepts or creating marketable cards through proper design, then I need those things pointed out to me.  My goal is looking for how best to make those marketable cards - what the public does after that is up to them... but at least I'll know I've done the best I can do to offer something that meets with the general expectations of card buyers.

Oh, and one more thing, with all the additional work/encouragement/help Corrie, Doreen, Tom, and other well-versed card makers have or are doing to help the rest of us grow, I wish there was some way I could compensate - I can't begin to tell you all how much I do appreciate the extra effort and I do feel guilty I can't do something to pay you all back...

Email   IP Logged
Betsy_145102
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2011, 11:51am

I think this is a great idea and can't wait to learn from all the feedback.
 And to Lynn, I agree with you have to market yourself. I have made business cards and I try to get them into as many hands as I can. I also follow a bargain blog(Bucktown Bargains) and you can find great deals for printing anything from photos to mugs to mouse pads, etc. I also had 2 large car magnets made to put on my car when I am in a parking lot just in case anyone should see it and be interested. I work alot so haven't put this to the test yet. School is almost done and I will have more time for shopping!! Although I must say since I have begun this greeting card adventure I really don't have alot of interest in anything but creating art!

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2011, 11:51am

"There's a limit of one card per artist per clinic. I will also limit the number of requested critiques to five per clinic - first come, first served, you snooze you lose. Once we reach that limit, you will have to wait until the following week."

Great idea, Corrie! Purely from an operational point of view, when does 'Friday' start? We're an international bunch here so, for example, Friday morning here in Australia is the middle of the night in Europe and Thursday afternoon in California. If it is purely based on first come, first served, then there may be some artists will consistently miss out because of their time zone.

Could this be taken into account?

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Jun 8th, 2011, 11:55am

maybe a rotating schedule could accommodate?  Maybe setting up specific times for specific areas or "next week we'll focus on cards made from artists in..." or a specific time to post by each week...

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Jun 8th, 2011, 12:51pm

For me in the Netherlands, time zone is +1 GMT. Australia is +8 or +10 GMT.  

If as an international artist, you miss a clinic deadline because it's the middle of the night where you are and the majority of other artists are wide awake and chirpy, then send me an email and we'll try to work something out. I'd rather not have to divide the time between this group of artists and that group of artists unless I get a huge response from the non-U.S. artists.

Corrie
gcucommunity@bigdates.com

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #21 - Jun 8th, 2011, 1:39pm

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Jun 8th, 2011, 12:51pm:
For me in the Netherlands, time zone is +1 GMT. Australia is +8 or +10 GMT.

Uh-oh.... I misread something in your earlier post.  I thought you meant only five critiques could be offered per card.  I didn't realize only 5 cards would be critiqued per week (although that does seem a lot more manageable than what I mistook it for - lol).

Sooooo.... what time did you say you'd open it up for the 5 submissions on Friday?  If I'm not mistaken, should you open it at, say 9AM your time, that'd be like 3AM my time.  I hope you'll wait till at least noon your time - cuz I really want to get one of my cards in early enough, but I probably won't be able to wake up at 3AM.  lol.

In any event (if all goes well) there will be future opportunities for those of us who miss the first one.  And it'll still be informative, no matter who gets theirs critiqued.   Cheesy

Thanks again...I think this is going to be so amazing.  Oh, and to put a suggestion out there to Donna's comment about compensation, perhaps the people who get their cards critiqued could post prominent links on their blogs, Squidoo lenses, or Facebook pages to the GCU Stores of the people who took the time to do the critiquing?  I don't know.  Just a thought.

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Janet_134086
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Jun 8th, 2011, 2:43pm

Awesome Addition!

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #23 - Jun 8th, 2011, 4:05pm

Quote from Cindy_152495 on Jun 8th, 2011, 1:39pm:
[Oh, and to put a suggestion out there to Donna's comment about compensation, perhaps the people who get their cards critiqued could post prominent links on their blogs, Squidoo lenses, or Facebook pages to the GCU Stores of the people who took the time to do the critiquing?  I don't know.  Just a thought. Cindy

I do have a couple links already on my website and I most definitely can add more and add links to my FB and any other things I set up in the future... it's definitely the least I can do...

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jun 8th, 2011, 10:54pm

To be honest, I post on the GCU Community blog in the morning (my time, of course), sometimes before breakfast, sometimes not. I'm not on a rigid schedule, and I'd rather not be too regimented for my own sake. So I'll open the clinic at some point during my morning. We'll have to see what happens.

A link to another artist's store on your website OR perhaps a blog post about them would be very nice.

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Jun 9th, 2011, 11:09pm

You asked for it, you got it - the first GCU Community Critique Clinic is now open for business! Only 5 artists per clinic, only one card per artist, first come - first served.  

I'll hold the clinic every Friday. If it gets popular, I may expand. We'll have to see how it goes. You can read the rules in today's post on the GCU Community blog.

Corrie
http://gcucommunity.com

Email   IP Logged
Leonilde_137327
artist

Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2011, 12:04pm

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jun 8th, 2011, 4:14am:
Is there a forum/website/community where new folks or people having trouble making marketable cards can go to submit work for critiques?  

As much as I thoroughly appreciate all the encouragement and the Wiki and the new GCU Community, I still feel I'm doing something so very wrong that I'm not making any sales.  I've had some people say my cards are nice and others that have taken a deeper look offering more thorough suggestions.  I think I'd really benefit from a place where I can put up some of my cards and have them really looked at to determine why I'm getting the clicks and no sales at this point.

Hi, Donna!  Smiley
I see your puzzling mind encompassing mine. Why so many clicks and no sales?  Sad  Believe me, the majority of the problem is not in you artistry, but in your marketing ability.  

Besides publicizing your creations the other winner trend is - uniqueness makes you desirable. Find a niche (quite a task for a humanistic mindset…) and marketing yourself heavily. This is the connoisseurs’ advising - I am just rephrasing.  

Imagine, the same problem happens with sneakers or any product subjected to the same results. The fascination with brands like Nike or Adidas versus same products of less publicized brands goes beyond comprehension, but that is how we, wonderful humans, are wired.  The billions of dollars invested in publicizing the product with the most desirable sportsmen or iconic figure pays off big time in sales. Publicity reprograms our brains to desire what we have just seen advertized.

What marks fashion tendencies or makes anything “in,” is a clever manipulation of our “I- persona” always in craving need to fit in, to belong, to be part of.

Having said that, I think it is a lovable initiative to have the feed back of our peers to improve our craft and skill. More eyes and especially artistically trained eyes can bring valuable input and help us give the jump of quality that, I am sure, everybody would welcome. Thank you, Corrie, for implementing this peer exam/ feedback solution.

Artistry aside, and there are absolutely outstanding artists and creativity at GCU,  at the end, as Corrie says, it all comes to sales – the more you sale, the more you sale, the more you sale. The ineffable secret is to capture the right move to keep the wheel spinning.
Leonilde  

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.