Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
place for critiquing new work? (Read 3116 times)
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

place for critiquing new work?
Jun 8th, 2011, 4:14am

Is there a forum/website/community where new folks or people having trouble making marketable cards can go to submit work for critiques?  

As much as I thoroughly appreciate all the encouragement and the Wiki and the new GCU Community, I still feel I'm doing something so very wrong that I'm not making any sales.  I've had some people say my cards are nice and others that have taken a deeper look offering more thorough suggestions.  I think I'd really benefit from a place where I can put up some of my cards and have them really looked at to determine why I'm getting the clicks and no sales at this point.

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Re: place for critiquing new work?
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2011, 5:18am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jun 8th, 2011, 4:14am:
Is there a forum/website/community where new folks or people having trouble making marketable cards can go to submit work for critiques?  

As much as I thoroughly appreciate all the encouragement and the Wiki and the new GCU Community

If you find such a place (or if GCU starts up such a forum), I'll be there with my newbie bells on.   Grin

Cindy

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2011, 5:32am

Me too  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2011, 5:43am

I feel really bad asking because I'm sure people are probably thinking I'm asking for an awful lot or trying to take additional advantage of an already giving group of artists.  I don't mind publicly posting my work and having it shredded if we all can learn by example.  I keep looking at my cards and not seeing the problems - some I've adjusted for the margins (especially my older submissions) and I'm just really feeling that because I lack professional training that I'm missing out on these things that seasoned artists know.  I've felt many times over that maybe I'm wasting the reviewers' time as the approvals go in but I make so few sales.  So, I'm missing something in the grand scheme of things and I just don't know what it is.

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2011, 5:53am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jun 8th, 2011, 5:43am:
I feel really bad asking because I'm sure people are probably thinking I'm asking for an awful lot or trying to take additional advantage of an already giving group of artists.  I don't mind publicly posting my work and having it shredded if we all can learn by example.

I took a look at your card store to see if I could come up with any constructive criticism. Really lovely cards! One thing I did notice (if you truly meant what you said about critiquing) is the words on some of them are a little hard to read. If you removed the 'drop shadow' that might help...I know it may look great actual size (speaking much about my own cards here) but the customer doesn't see that--they only see the mini-version and that's what they base their likes and dislikes on...Hope that's helpful. If not, ignore it  lips sealed Smiley If you've got critiques for me, I'm all for hearing it.  

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2011, 6:03am

Hi Tracie... I'm in the process of trying to fix some of the fonts... this is a lot harder than I thought.  I like your cards and perhaps I need to try not to be quite so creative and go with simpler texts and colors and pictures.  Guess I better try to cage that 'wild child' inside of me...  

I do appreciate the help - I wouldn't be posting if I didn't want folks to take a harder look at what I've submitted.  Say whatever is bugging you about my cards - I am having a hard time looking at them from a buyer's point of view as I am trying to create something different but maybe I'm going at too much.

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2011, 6:05am

Okay, I've seen requests for critiquing before on the forum... how about this:  

Starting this Friday, June 10, the GCU Community blog will begin a new feature, Critique Clinic. This clinic will be open to any GCU artist who wishes to post ONE card for peer critique - an existing card on GCU that is getting clicks but no sales. Any GCU artist is free to post their opinion about the card, offer tips and advice, etc. We will not critique designs offered on other POD sites that are not also on GCU.

There's a limit of one card per artist per clinic. I will also limit the number of requested critiques to five per clinic - first come, first served, you snooze you lose. Once we reach that limit, you will have to wait until the following week.

There is no guarantee that the critique will make your card into a bestseller. There is not even a guarantee that another artist will be moved to spend their time critiquing your card. That's the chance you take. You are free, of course, to completely ignore the advice and do your own thing. The only guarantee I make is that the criticism will be constructive, not destructive. We will all mind our manners.

If you want to offer your design up for critique, please hold on until Friday when I open the first Critique Clinic. Post a link to your card in the comments section. Tell us where you *think* you're going wrong. Even if you don't want a card critiqued or to give someone else the benefit of your opinion, stop by anyway - you might learn something.

And continue to read the GCU Community blog. I post new articles every single day.

Corrie
http://gcucommunity.com

Email   IP Logged
Tracie_152843
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2011, 6:08am

Thank you, Corrie. That will be appreciated by many of us  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2011, 6:09am

this would be so helpful, Corrie... I'll go through and see which of my more recent cards has gotten a lot of clicks with no sales...  

and I LOVE the community blog... it is so helpful... I just don't know why I'm having such a hard time...

Email   IP Logged
Cathy_151407
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2011, 7:00am

Sounds like a good idea, Corrie!  I will wait until next week, since I will be on the road this Friday. But I will check it out as soon as possible.

Email   IP Logged
Lynn_150145
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2011, 7:01am

Hi Donna, I took a look at your store and cards.  I do agree with Tracie regarding the shadowing of the font, which I myself have corrected on my work after the fact.  

I think you have very marketable cards, so my thought is marketing, not card design.  I am new and have sold a few cards and continue to build my store.  One of the items I have seen posted frequently in the forums from seasoned veteran artists is how "we" the artist need to market our own cards.  We can not soley rely on the GCU website and search engines due to the fact that there are so many cards on this site already and it takes months for search engines to find our cards.  So my question to you is - what do you to market your cards to potential customers?

Contemplative Creations by Lynn C. Vidler:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/contemplativecreations
Email   IP Logged
Donna_137698
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2011, 7:04am

I have posted cards to my Facebook page, I have a website that encompasses all of my creative works (still building it) and hope to start a blog and even a Squidoo lens... yup, I'm still learning that end of things too... I've only been able to buy a few of my own cards to send out to family/friends/etc...

Email   IP Logged
Cindy_152495
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2011, 7:09am

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Jun 8th, 2011, 6:05am:
Starting this Friday, June 10, the GCU Community blog will begin a new feature, Critique Clinic. This clinic will be open to any GCU artist who wishes to post ONE card for peer critique

WOW, Corrie!  This is FABULOUS!  I can't wait!  Now I just have to go through my cards and see which one I'm most interested in getting critiqued 1st (so many to choose from - lol!).

Thanks!!!  It's very generous of you AND everyone else who will participate and donate their time and expertise.

very happily,
Cindy     Grin

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2011, 8:16am

Great idea Corrie!

I have been playing with the idea of doing a Photography Critique site of some kind, but have yet to figure out where I'll find the time and where I would host such thing  Grin

Email   IP Logged
Lynn_150145
artist

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2011, 8:29am

Quote from Donna_137698 on Jun 8th, 2011, 7:04am:
I have posted cards to my Facebook page, I have a website that encompasses all of my creative works (still building it) and hope to start a blog and even a Squidoo lens... yup, I'm still learning that end of things too... I've only been able to buy a few of my own cards to send out to family/friends/etc...

Sounds like you have a good start to marketing.  

This past Christmas I sent out Cards featuring a Photograph of mine as the Chrsitmas card through a local printer I work with for my other artwork.  I wasn't on GCU at the time.  I did wrestle with the idea at first and consulted with a few artist friends of mine.  These are individuals who are not on GCU.  I will definitely do the same this year.  However, one thing I did notice is that some people didn't realize it was my photo.  They didn't read the back of the card. So I think we definitely need to market ourselves heavily.  

Good luck with your designs and sales.  I love the Veteran's Day card with the Flag and Eagle.

Contemplative Creations by Lynn C. Vidler:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/contemplativecreations
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.