Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
NEW - Sub-Galleries for Storefront Organization (Read 22918 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: NEW - Sub-Galleries for Storefront Organizatio
Reply #30 - May 6th, 2011, 4:38pm

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on May 6th, 2011, 3:54pm:
This is so great! If I use the new subcategory structure, will put all my cards in categories.  Have to cogitate a bit more to figure out how I would organize the subcategories.  One thing I noticed as you get to the bottom of the page there is no way to go on to the next page without returning to the top of the page you are on.  It looks like that's the end of the subcategories.  Would there be a way to put next page navigation information at the on bottom of each page?

Thanks for all your help and support,
Kati

edit:  I was noticing this on Mindy's store.

good point, thanks.

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #31 - May 6th, 2011, 5:34pm

another question.  adding keywords for our subcategories.
if i put father i get 25 cards
if i put dad i get 14
if i put father, dad i get 11

can we not include all the words we might have used for father , or all the words we might have used for mother without losing some cards?  they all go in the same basic categories.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #32 - May 6th, 2011, 6:28pm

Quote from Mindy on May 6th, 2011, 4:30pm:
What kind of organization would you give the rest of your cards that are not in a sub-gallery?  If this is important for all to be seen why wouldn't you group the balance not worthy of it's own unique sub-gallery into a catch all sub-gallery?

I don't want my shoppers to lose the option to sort and browse ALL my cards by newest, artist choice, or most popular.  They lose this when any subgalleries are used, currently.  I believe this is a critical feature of the storefront.

Also, if I had 1500 cards in say 50 subgalleries and the remaining 5000 in a final catch-all subgallery, then a shopper would possibly have to browse through all the prior subgallery lead pages (16+) to get to the catch-all subgallery assuming they even knew it was there.  This is dozens of clicks from the store front, and we all know they will leave well before getting there.  Being forced to sit through multiple page loads while navigating "down" a stack is bad design.

I'd be more of a fan of links to subgalleries on the storefront rather than imposing page after page of card thumbnail subgalleries that shoppers have to navigate over to potentially discover one they might like to shop.

What's needed is an elegant navigation method, much like the category selector is during card create, in order to make navigation to a store's various subgalleries fast and painless for shoppers.  

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #33 - May 6th, 2011, 6:35pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on May 6th, 2011, 6:28pm:
I'd be more of a fan of links to subgalleries rather than page after page of card thumbnails that shoppers have to navigate over to get to the one they might like to shop.

What's needed is an elegant navigation method, much like the category selector is during card create, in order to make navigation to a store's various subgalleries fast and painless for shoppers.  

i was just coming here to ask for links to subcategories.  i think it might be easy to overlook a category scrolling through several pages.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #34 - May 6th, 2011, 6:44pm

Quote from DENISE_132110 on May 6th, 2011, 5:34pm:
if i put dad i get 14

can we not include all the words we might have used for father , or all the words we might have used for mother without losing some cards?  they all go in the same basic categories.

Let me check if we can work the keyword logic to combine the results of terms.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #35 - May 6th, 2011, 6:53pm

How about a View All Cards link like Zazzle has a View All Products?  That would give shoppers the opportunity to view the store as it is today so to speak OR browse our sub-categories.

For much of this I think all we can ask for is as much flexibility as possible and then we have to live with it for a bit and see if we can make it work.  Based on the emails that I receive for sales, 90% of those sales were originated outside of my store, either browsing GCU categories, search engines brought them to that card in the GCU marketplace or they purchased through one of GCU's other sites.  That tells me that the majority of the sales I make are not customers who browsed through my shop.

I like the ability to separate 'same image' designs and move entire collections to the store front such as Christmas rather than moving some to featured and trying to arrange the product gallery to not show all 12 of a single design with different relations.  I think a change like this will evolve over time and if the customer can choose to view all my cards in the existing sort order options OR go through the sub-galleries...that is a great solution that works for everyone.

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #36 - May 6th, 2011, 7:07pm

for now i am going back to my normal store...had to reorder the cards again, but i think for now i am happier with the old arrangement.  not to seem or sound ungrateful for innovation.  its just me right now i think. a lot of changes going on here.

we closed the store where my local work was being sold, we have had tornados and have storm damage, been sick, just a lot going on ...i think for now i am looking for some solid ground to rest on, i have had enough change for a while.  

i will see how it goes for others and then decide.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #37 - May 7th, 2011, 3:50am

Yes, I too see merit in these subgalleries.  One very helpful aspect would be a hide/unhide option for each subgallery module, set by the artist.  This way we can organize our cards over time and "bring them out to show" as needed - such as having one like "Top-shelf Graduation cards."  

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #38 - May 9th, 2011, 7:50am

Mindy, I have a question ...

using as an example my Father's Day cards.  It's a series (same card design, different breeds) - and for some cards I used two categories ... for others I used different categories (all relevant, but this expanded my potential for views under multiple categories).

So ... in creating a Father's Day SubGallery - I am only drilling down to the Father's Day category under Holidays.  Does this REPLACE the categories I've chosen for individual cards, or is the SubGallery Category entirely different from the Card Categories?

Second Point:  I too would like to see uncategorized cards still appear on my storefront for two reasons:
(1) for shoppers to find easily when visiting my shop and  
(2) to help ME know which cards are still needing to be assigned a category!

Thank you!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #39 - May 9th, 2011, 4:57pm

Quote from Peggy_137160 on May 9th, 2011, 7:50am:
Mindy, I have a question ...

using as an example my Father's Day cards.  It's a series (same card design, different breeds) - and for some cards I used two categories ... for others I used different categories (all relevant, but this expanded my potential for views under multiple categories).

So ... in creating a Father's Day SubGallery - I am only drilling down to the Father's Day category under Holidays.  Does this REPLACE the categories I've chosen for individual cards, or is the SubGallery Category entirely different from the Card Categories?

Second Point:  I too would like to see uncategorized cards still appear on my storefront for two reasons:
(1) for shoppers to find easily when visiting my shop and
(2) to help ME know which cards are still needing to be assigned a category!

Thank you!

Excellent question Peggy!

Surely these categories we are assigning for our own store ARE IN ADDITION TO the Marketplace categories and don't affect those in any way??!!??!!

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #40 - May 10th, 2011, 5:02am

That's amazing! Only this morning I was wishing that we could organise our storefronts better so that customers could see at a glance what's in our stores!

Thank you Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #41 - May 10th, 2011, 6:45am

another question, in addition to my previous post ...  

can we custom arrange the cards within a subcategory?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy_artist
artist

Reply #42 - May 10th, 2011, 2:39pm

Quote from DENISE_132110 on May 6th, 2011, 5:34pm:
if i put dad i get 14

Denise,
This has been modified so multiple keywords can be entered and results shown for the list of terms as in your example: father, dad should result in any cards with ANY of the terms, not ALL of the terms.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy_artist
artist

Reply #43 - May 10th, 2011, 2:40pm

Quote from Mindy on May 6th, 2011, 4:38pm:
Quote from Kathleen_137290 on May 6th, 2011, 3:54pm:
This is so great! If I use the new subcategory structure, will put all my cards in categories.  Have to cogitate a bit more to figure out how I would organize the subcategories.  One thing I noticed as you get to the bottom of the page there is no way to go on to the next page without returning to the top of the page you are on.  It looks like that's the end of the subcategories.  Would there be a way to put next page navigation information at the on bottom of each page?

Thanks for all your help and support,
Kati

edit:  I was noticing this on Mindy's store.

good point, thanks.

This is done, sub-gallery page navitation on the bottom of the page as well as the top.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy_artist
artist

Reply #44 - May 10th, 2011, 2:45pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on May 6th, 2011, 6:28pm:
Quote from Mindy on May 6th, 2011, 4:30pm:
What kind of organization would you give the rest of your cards that are not in a sub-gallery?  If this is important for all to be seen why wouldn't you group the balance not worthy of it's own unique sub-gallery into a catch all sub-gallery?

I don't want my shoppers to lose the option to sort and browse ALL my cards by newest, artist choice, or most popular.  They lose this when any subgalleries are used, currently.  I believe this is a critical feature of the storefront.

Also, if I had 1500 cards in say 50 subgalleries and the remaining 5000 in a final catch-all subgallery, then a shopper would possibly have to browse through all the prior subgallery lead pages (16+) to get to the catch-all subgallery assuming they even knew it was there.  This is dozens of clicks from the store front, and we all know they will leave well before getting there.  Being forced to sit through multiple page loads while navigating "down" a stack is bad design.

I'd be more of a fan of links to subgalleries on the storefront rather than imposing page after page of card thumbnail subgalleries that shoppers have to navigate over to potentially discover one they might like to shop.

Shoppers can now return to the traditional Product Gallery via the >> all cards link in Search My Store.  We will likely be adding a link that then will take them back to the gallery view so shoppers can toggle between the two.

Agreed, this solution is less than elegant but is a big step in the right direction.  We are working on incorporating some artists' suggestions however please know we will not be able to incorporate all.  

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.