Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
NEW - Sub-Galleries for Storefront Organization (Read 22929 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

NEW - Sub-Galleries for Storefront Organization
May 5th, 2011, 6:15pm

*** THIS FEATURE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED - WE SUGGEST NOT USING IT ***

Christmas in May!  Grin

The long awaited and promised storefront organization is finally here!  You can now create sub-galleries or folders in your storefront Gallery.

You’ll now find “Configure Sub-Galleries” via Administrative Settings page under Images & Cards:
http://artist.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/gallery_modules.asp

You can…
O create as many sub-galleries as you like (you might want a plan before going hog wild).  
O identify which cards to move into the sub-gallery either by category, keyword or product id number.  
O have as many cards in a sub-gallery as you like however only 10 will show on your main storefront page.  More than that will show a “see more” link in the sub-gallery header.
O arrange the order of sub-galleries by simple drag and drop

Consider creating sub-galleries by category name (Age Specific Birthdays, Blank Note Cards, Halloween), subject matter (Horses, Photography, Cocker Spaniels), or a special collection (Odd & Unusual, My Best Sellers, Secret Pal Cards).  

Note:  Cards that are not moved into a sub-gallery will not appear in your storefront.  These cards can still be shopped by category link and keyword search.

If you don’t want any sub-galleries simply don’t create any and your Gallery will remain as it is today and you can continue to use the Arrange Gallery tool to organize your cards.

Smiley Play around and tell us what you think!  Also as always please report any odd happenings.  Shocked

*** THIS FEATURE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED - WE SUGGEST NOT USING IT ***

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2018, 1:59pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Re: NEW - Sub-Galleries for Storefront Organizatio
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2011, 7:14pm

Well, I tried it.  Added 5 cards to 1 gallery, saved, worked OK that once, refreshed browser - then it only showed 1 card (card #2 of 5!?), and now never shows more than that 1 even when I removed it and used a different PID (!?).

Deleted module and restarted with the same 5 and still only card #2 showed up.

I deleted the module.  

Retried with 3 cards.  Saved, preview was blank and so was module in store.

Deleted module ...

Square 1.  undecided

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2011, 7:42pm

I am dancing for joy!  THANK YOU GCU for giving this AMAZING tool!  I'll let you guys work out the bugs since I'm in the middle of another project at the moment, but I just can't wait to see the results.

GCU totally ROCKS!!

A BIG virtual hug for the entire hard-working GCU Team!  

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2011, 10:13pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on May 5th, 2011, 7:14pm:
Well, I tried it.  Added 5 cards to 1 gallery, saved, worked OK that once, refreshed browser - then it only showed 1 card (card #2 of 5!?), and now never shows more than that 1 even when I removed it and used a different PID (!?).

I deleted the module.  

Deleted module ...

Square 1.  undecided

Same experience, Tom, guess there are still some glitches to work out.  'e'   Huh

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2011, 10:18pm

i think i will do as doreen said...sort of wait until the glitches are out.  i did try to set up one but no cards showed up.  so i figured i was doing something wrong.   Grin

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2011, 1:42am

SWOON!  YaHOOOOOOOOeeeeeeee!

THANK YOU GCU!!!!!!

As much as I'd love to be diving and helping with identifying the glitches, I can't take the chance with cards not showing at the moment with all the promotion I've been doing and my current load of photography shoot clients to stay on top of ...

(loved the example of a Cocker Spaniel category ... thanks for thinking of your Pet Artists  Wink  )

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2011, 5:45am

WOW!  
Things are really happening here at GCU  Cool
I shall definitely be taking a look at this, but perhaps I shall wait until the gremlins have been exterminated! Wink

It's another proud to be with GCU moment  
Pamela

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2011, 12:10pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on May 5th, 2011, 7:14pm:

I deleted the module.  

Deleted module ...

Square 1.  undecided

Tom,  
did you add the cards to the sub-gallery the same way each time?  And if so via which method, pid#?

A few tweaks have been made, if you have time today can you give it another go?

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2011, 12:18pm

Yes.  PIDs.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2011, 12:26pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on May 6th, 2011, 12:18pm:
Yes.  PIDs.

A few tweaks have been made, if you have time today can you give it another go?

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2011, 12:44pm

Works!  I made 2 PID modules .. deleted and added PIDS and all was as expected.  Did a module drag/drop and worked fine though the cursor should change when you hold down the left mouse button on the drag.  Doesn't seem to let you undrag once you drop.  This also needs to be SAVED to stick.

PID field should be much wider, imo, and a note saying to use spaces vs. commas for this field.  Module preview only works after "page save" although it is in each the module box. (likely OK)

I'd like (require) the store to have the product gallery below these modules, or a very obvious way to get there.  There is no easy way for the shopper to see the product gallery now unless they search or use the category pages (not obvious).  Right now it looks like I only have the featured cards and the 2 new galleries and that is all the cards I have.  I will leave it this way for a few hours so others can see as I am about to go out for a few hours.

TOM

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2011, 12:58pm

Thanks for being the guinea pig Tom  Grin

Um, so no matter how many sub-categories we make only 2 will show with 5 cards each?  Or is it 10 cards show on the storefront PER sub-category?

And on Tom's storefront, I don't see any place that says 'see more' in those categories...am I missing something?

I envisioned this delightful tool as something that would look something like this:

Birthdays Relationship Specific
10 cards, 2 rows would show here

Sympathy Cards

and on down my storefront.

Is this the goal?

Email   IP Logged
Mindy_artist
artist

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2011, 2:20pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on May 6th, 2011, 12:58pm:
Thanks for being the guinea pig Tom  Grin

Um, so no matter how many sub-categories we make only 2 will show with 5 cards each?  Or is it 10 cards show on the storefront PER sub-category?

And on Tom's storefront, I don't see any place that says 'see more' in those categories...am I missing something?

I envisioned this delightful tool as something that would look something like this:

Birthdays Relationship Specific

Sympathy Cards

and on down my storefront.

Is this the goal?

Correct that is how it is designed to work.  Tom has only chosen to feature 5 images (so only 1 row per sub-gallery showing) and no "see more" link since each sub-gallery will only display that once it exceeds 10 cards (which Tom's have not).

Each storefront page will accommodate up to 3 sub-galleries.  With a max of 2 rows each that is 6 rows max.  If/when you have more than 3 sub-galleries they will be paginated.  For example with 5 sub-galleries will present this: "1 - 3 of 5 Sub-Galleries".  Resulting in 3 sub-galleries on storefront page 1 and 2 sub-galleries on storefront page 2.

Note, with this new functionality you will likely use the Featured Gallery a little differently.  Previously we'd bumped it's max up to 25 cards in the absence of gallery organization.  You now might want to consider featuring less cards as it only pushes down your Product Gallery and new sub-galleries lower on the page and beyond the shoppers' view.  Perhaps just 1 row would be ideal.

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2011, 2:48pm

okay what did i do wrong?
added subcategory, added #'s for my scripture cards, open my store front and everything but my feature cards are missing.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy_artist
artist

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2011, 2:51pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on May 6th, 2011, 12:44pm:
Works!  I made 2 PID modules .. deleted and added PIDS and all was as expected.  Did a module drag/drop and worked fine though the cursor should change when you hold down the left mouse button on the drag.  Doesn't seem to let you undrag once you drop.  This also needs to be SAVED to stick.

PID field should be much wider, imo, and a note saying to use spaces vs. commas for this field.  Module preview only works after "page save" although it is in each the module box. (likely OK)

I'd like (require) the store to have the product gallery below these modules, or a very obvious way to get there.  There is no easy way for the shopper to see the product gallery now unless they search or use the category pages (not obvious).  Right now it looks like I only have the featured cards and the 2 new galleries and that is all the cards I have.  I will leave it this way for a few hours so others can see as I am about to go out for a few hours.

TOM

Great, thanks Tom!

As sub-galleries they are subs of the Gallery itself so it doesn't make sense to have the Gallery below these subs.  

As noted:
Note:  Cards that are not moved into a sub-gallery will not appear in your storefront.  These cards can still be shopped by category link and keyword search.  

Do you forsee that you will want ALL of your cards present in the storefront at all times, regardless if they're in a sub-gallery or not?

Note taken on pid# field length.  Commas are stripped/ignored from the pid# entry field so entered either way is fine.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.