Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

How many keywords are useful? (Read 2890 times)
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

How many keywords are useful?
Mar 6th, 2011, 4:03pm

The info beside the 'keywords' says up to 10 (and Zazzle say about 5) but I've noticed that other artists use a lot more than that. Is there really any point in adding every single word that you can think of that is vaguely relevant to one's card design?

I also noticed that some artists included a lot of keywords that had absolutely nothing to do with their design and I wonder how they got past the reviewers!  

Maybe that's why some cards come up in the wrong category too? For instance when I searched for Wedding Invitations,  one artist's cards that had nothing to do with weddings came up on each and every page!   Shocked

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Re: How many keywords are useful?
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2011, 4:16pm

As many as possible that ARE relevant.  Vaguely relevant, no ... I posted an example to a wonderful card (not one of mine) that had a great use of keywords.  I think in Artist Chatter or Artist Tips .. I'll go look for it and post the link here ...  

and here it is ...  http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1298487350

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2011, 11:16am

Thank you for replying, Peggy, and for the link - I wasn't at all sure which was the correct place to post this query!

I'm wondering why the Zazzle team would explicitly write in their newsletter that only the first 5 are likely to be useful for searches.  undecided

Do you know whether the keywords/tags are for internal use when searching the website or for general googling? If it were for searching within the GCU/Zazzle websites that might explain the difference.

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2011, 11:30am

I THINK that the first 5 or 10 are the ones that will help with off-site SEO (search engines other than GCU).  But at GCU, I think any relevant keyword is useful to help with searches keyed in here.

Email   IP Logged
Randall_140313
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2011, 1:16am

The text box for keywords allows you up to 250 characters, so any words after that will be cut off.   I've been told by web search optimization people that the first few keywords are the most searched by crawlers,  therefore the most important.  However once at GCU, all searched keywords will come up, so it is only courtesy to use any word that describes your card exactly, refrain or limit using vague keywords and never use clutter just to bring a card up in searches.  You will only annoy those searching for a specific card and worse, may even drive them away from shopping at GCU.  

It never hurts to go back to review and edit our cards in the card management window as hopefully we have learned some lessons along the way with our increased experience and going back and improving our old ones can only benefit everyone!  

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2011, 1:58am

Thank you both - distinguishing between the on-site search and the whole web search does make sense of the differing advice.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Margaret_148542
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2011, 7:31am

It's one thing for Google to only care about 5 words, but people search for a lot more than that if they want to find something specific. I use enough keywords to describe everything I would search for, no more and no less.

Say Cheese Greeting Cards by Margaret:
http://artist.greetingcarduniverse.com/saycheese
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.