Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4
New Print / Margin Preview (Read 14838 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

New Print / Margin Preview
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:20pm

Our margin allowances can sometimes be tricky.  Although when using the Card Template as a guide there should not be any issues.  

We created a new tool for the review team to see card images with margin allowance guides so no more guesstimating.  We have now made that view available to artists.

Please note this is NOT to be used in place of the card template but in addition to.  It is to be used after your card is created and submitted to give you a "seeing is believing" confirmation.

You will find this new view in 2 places:
1) Manage Cards as a Print / Margin Preview link under each card image (in List view only)

2) In your Administrative Settings under Images & Cards >> Print / Margin Preview where you can enter your card pid# to preview (one card at a time)

Here:
http://artist.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/card_view.asp?cout=1&sz=1&a mp;cin=0&cbox=1

Here are some details about what you'll actually be seeing:
This tool shows the margin allowance lines (2) beyond which any details critical to the design of the card should not reside. The outermost line is the Trim Line (1/8 inch) which is where the card will be cut. The innermost line is what we call the Safety Zone (1/4 inch) which is where details critical to the design of the card, particularly text, should not reside to allow for variances in trimming and printing.  

Probably worth giving some of your older cards or cards with questionable margins a look to see if any editing is needed.

Please give it a try and let us know what you think and if you have any questions or suggestions.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: New Print / Margin Preview
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:29pm

What a great tool Mindy!  I just love it!  You've given us an easily accessible tool and it's greatly appreciated!  

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:37pm

Wow! Cheesy That is a fantastic tool and it gives such a clear view.  

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:39pm

Nice to have.  This was one of the things the Artists suggested would cut down on cards being sent back for edits.  We could fix them before they got in front of the reviewers.  Wink

A couple questions:

1.  Any plans to have this tool work on cards during Create a Card?  That is the best place to stop images that are "on the edge."

2.  What guidelines will the review team use to return cards?  

Thanks!  

Email   IP Logged
Lj_135293
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:39pm

Wonderful.   Smiley  A fantastic and useful assist.  Cool   Well done!  

I like Toms idea too for during the creation process.  Makes sense and saves yet another step.

The Lj Maxx Greeting Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LjMaxx
Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:46pm

Just food for thought Tom...

What difference would that really make?  Whether we know during creation or at the Manage cards page, we would still have to upload a fixed image and go back to those initial screens.

I don't think that would buy us anything...Just how it worked out in my mind  Grin Grin

Email   IP Logged
Laurie_139933
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:46pm

What a great tool!  I love it!!  Thank you!!!!!!!!

Email   IP Logged
Beverly_133630
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:49pm

Thank you Mindy and the Gcu team.

I just have one suggestion, will you allow right click in the Margin Preview area?

bev

IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:49pm

If it is included at create card then more people are likely to pay attention to it and use it otherwise it's another step that can be left out by the artists if they choose to ignore using the tool. If it's right in front of your face at the creation stage you'd be more likely to pay attention to it.

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Elizabeth_137795
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:51pm

This is a great tool. Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:55pm

Quote from cheryl_133782 on Feb 16th, 2011, 12:49pm:
If it is included at create card then more people are likely to pay attention to it and use it otherwise it's another step that can be left out by the artists if they choose to ignore using the tool. If it's right in front of your face at the creation stage you'd be more likely to pay attention to it.

Cheryl

Great point Cheryl!

Email   IP Logged
Jenny_140983
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2011, 12:57pm

Way cool!

I did notice I could use it on my pending cards. I also noticed the link has been added to the manage card pages! So, even though I would have gone through the create card process, it would still be possible to catch that error before it get's reviewed. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2011, 1:08pm

Quote from Tom_133317 on Feb 16th, 2011, 12:39pm:
Nice to have.  This was one of the things the Artists suggested would cut down on cards being sent back for edits.  We could fix them before they got in front of the reviewers.  Wink

A couple questions:

1.  Any plans to have this tool work on cards during Create a Card?  That is the best place to stop images that are "on the edge."

Thanks!  

At this point due to technical issues the image preview cannot be created until after the card has been submitted.  It doesn't exist in our image database until submitted.  We toyed with the idea of some type of grid overlay on the image during card creation but it was not accurate nor reliable which defeated the purpose.

Reviewers will Return for Edits those cards where they feel elements critical to the design are in the 1/4 inch allowance area, primarily text but this could also be a border that would result in an off centered design for example.  If there are questionable elements of the design in this area that are NOT critical, the reviewers may comment w/ a note or suggestion but not delay the card and leave it to the artists' discretion.    

Sound good?  Roll Eyes

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2011, 1:11pm

Quote from Beverly_133630 on Feb 16th, 2011, 12:49pm:
Thank you Mindy and the Gcu team.

I just have one suggestion, will you allow right click in the Margin Preview area?

bev

Hi Bev,
What would you use this for?  

Since it's on the artist side only and you can only preview pid#'s that belong to you I don't see a reason why we'd need to keep right click disabled unless it is difficult to allow/disallow it on a page by page basis.  We'll give it a look.

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2011, 1:16pm

Quote from Mindy on Feb 16th, 2011, 1:08pm:
Quote from Tom_133317 on Feb 16th, 2011, 12:39pm:

A couple questions:

Thanks!  

At this point due to technical issues the image preview cannot be created until after the card has been submitted.  It doesn't exist in our image database until submitted.  We toyed with the idea of some type of grid overlay on the image during card creation but it was not accurate nor reliable which defeated the purpose.

Reviewers will Return for Edits those cards where they feel elements critical to the design are in the 1/4 inch allowance area, primarily text but this could also be a border that would result in an off centered design for example.  If there are questionable elements of the design in this area that are NOT critical, the reviewers may comment w/ a note or suggestion but not delay the card and leave it to the artists' discretion.  

Sound good?  Roll Eyes

That explains my suggestion away too.  

I love the new tool non the less...she's a real beauty!  Cheesy

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.