Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Referral commission from store link? (Read 13478 times)
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Referral commission from store link?
Feb 4th, 2011, 6:35am

If we post the link to our store front on a website...do we get any referral commission for any purchases that come from that link to GCU? I don't see that this is the case.

I know you can use banner ads or post a text or image link directly to a card. Sometimes that is too obtrusive or linking to a single card does not make sense in the context of your post and a subtle link to our store is more appropriate. I know this is available elsewhere Wink...but can we have that at GCU in regard to links to our store?

Pamela

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Re: Referral commission from store link?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011, 8:05am

YES PLEASE!!

Currently other than the Widgets (which are cool), but not always appropriate as Pamela stated there is no other way to receive referral credit for linking to our own stores.  I don't think, even though they lead to our stores, that the Banner Ads give referral.  Only Sell This Card links and Widgets.

It would be nice to have a referral number we could attach to any link we add when a widget isn't possible or just won't work.

Great suggestion Pamela!

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2011, 3:37pm

There's a couple ways to do this but it wont work if you simply post your store URL.  

1. If you visit the Card Widget page and click the tab that says Get HTML, you'll see a "Promotional Email Link" which is essentially a link to your store, and you'll get referral commission if someone clicks this link and orders cards.

2. (Advanced Method) If you follow the steps above in number 1, you'll see the "Promotional Email Link", which contains the following parameter at the end of the URL: gcu=xxxxxxxxxx (the x's represent a number that will be different for everyone).  If you add this parameter to your store URL you can create a link to your store that gives you referral commissions.  The link should look something like this:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/mystorename?gcu=xxxxxxxxxx
(note that you'll need to add a question mark before the gcu=xxxxxxxxxx)

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2011, 3:43pm

Thank you so much Shaun!  Great work around solution!

Email   IP Logged
Pamela_135500
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2011, 3:54pm

Yes Thank you Shaun! kiss

Pamela

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2011, 2:50am

Shaun ... can we use any store but add our own code?  I might direct shoppers to certain stores rather than mine if I know I don't offer the type of cards they are looking for, such as cartoons.

Email   IP Logged
Marilee_140894
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2011, 8:26am

Good question, Tom!  And furthermore, will that code work on any link to GCU?  For example, if I put on my blog a link that searches GCU for snow  
Code:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=snow&button.x=0&button.y=0 

can I add my store code at the end  
Code:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=snow&button.x=0&button.y=0&gcu=44263118157 

?

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2011, 10:21am

Quote from Tom_133317 on Feb 8th, 2011, 2:50am:
Shaun ... can we use any store but add our own code?  I might direct shoppers to certain stores rather than mine if I know I don't offer the type of cards they are looking for, such as cartoons.

Yes you can do this.  The artist might get a sale and if so, you'll get the referral commission.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2011, 10:48am

Quote from Marilee_140894 on Feb 8th, 2011, 8:26am:
Good question, Tom!  And furthermore, will that code work on any link to GCU?  For example, if I put on my blog a link that searches GCU for snow
Code:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=snow&button.x=0&button.y=0 

can I add my store code at the end
Code:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=snow&button.x=0&button.y=0&gcu=44263118157 

?

It will, I do recommend that you test the links first though just to make sure the gcu parameter is appended correctly.  

Email   IP Logged
Nicole_131576
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2011, 8:18pm

Quote from Shaun_131054 on Feb 7th, 2011, 3:37pm:
There's a couple ways to do this but it wont work if you simply post your store URL.  

1. If you visit the Card Widget page and click the tab that says Get HTML, you'll see a "Promotional Email Link" which is essentially a link to your store, and you'll get referral commission if someone clicks this link and orders cards.

2. (Advanced Method) If you follow the steps above in number 1, you'll see the "Promotional Email Link", which contains the following parameter at the end of the URL: gcu=xxxxxxxxxx (the x's represent a number that will be different for everyone).  If you add this parameter to your store URL you can create a link to your store that gives you referral commissions.  The link should look something like this:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/mystorename?gcu=xxxxxxxxxx
(note that you'll need to add a question mark before the gcu=xxxxxxxxxx)

Thank you, it works for me Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Selina_136051
artist

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2012, 3:43pm

ok I am feeling really stupid here and think I must be doing something wrong so please can someone explain to me why

1) when i click on "sell this card" in my store and get the code it has a &gcu=xxxxxx not a ?gcu=xxxxx
2) when i put it in my blog and save it it changes to &gcu=xxxxxx

I would appreciate someone explaining this to me as i want to get my blog updated and back in the public domain but I also want the links to be working correctly so I do get any commisions from sales I may direct (if i do Smiley )
Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2012, 6:30pm

Selina - the & sign is used on "sell this card" because there is already a ? in the code, earlier on in the coding.

When we see the & sign, the computer HTML (web coding) sees it as &  You should be fine.  Make that blog post, and then check the link ... it should work just fine for you : )-

And Shawn - THANK YOU for the info!!!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.