Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Blogging etiquette (Read 2029 times)
Rita_140577
artist

Blogging etiquette
Oct 4th, 2010, 2:41pm

I've been doing my blogs daily and when I run into a brick wall I'll suggest sites and other blogs.  I've gone back and forth in my head on whether or not this is acceptable to do without the express permission of the person who owns the site I'm recommending. For those who have blogs, how do you feel about this?  What is the proper etiquette?
 Also, since I'm always promoting my greeting cards and GCU, what is the etiquette there?  Should I get permission to use the "sell this card" for other artists' cards?

Email   IP Logged
Rebecca_140932
Gold Member
artist

Re: Blogging etiquette
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2010, 4:18pm

I wouldn't and don't. You are not hurting anyone. If anything, you are helping. Someone would be crazy to say they don't want you to help them sell their cards or get views to their blogs, or other important things. That's why all of us post to the web. We want others to see what we have to say and offer. I think it's great that you are taking the time to do this. I do not have much time myself, but I still tell others great places I know about. I also try to promote products that I myself think is great. I never tell anyone that I am posting links to their websites, blogs, work or anything else. I just figure that if they didn't want to be seen... they wouldn't be on the internet. Now, if you were making fun of their work or putting down their websites or blogs, it would be different. But, I doubt that you would ever do a thing like that. So, I don't see what the big deal is. Go right ahead and post away. You are welcome to use any of my work, sites, or anything else. Good luck with your blogs!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Angela__141424
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2010, 4:46pm

I'd suggest that it is only okay to affiliate people's products with the programs available on sites. Because then you know the artist agreed to the TOS. I was thinking about this from standpoint I found a lovely blog with a kind-hearted artist that is creating composite images of various products she is pointing too. That really isn't okay. I don't think anyone will complain, but it is likely against the law anyway. (By the way, I've never had anyone complain about any of my affiliate links.)

Email   IP Logged
Miles_139130
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2010, 7:50am

Every time you link directly to someone else's blog or website you are helping them and their website gain more clout with the search engines, and potentially helping them increase their rank for their keywords within the major search engine.

This interlinking of relevant websites and topics is what the internet is all about!  It is how ideas build upon ideas.

Most blogging Content Management Systems, like Wordpress or Movable Type, come set-up with trackback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackback) and pingback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingback) modules that notify the blog authors' blog about your link, as long as they have a compatible Content Management System.

Now, there is a line at plagiarism which when crossed, can cross into the realm of poor blogging etiquette, and potentially copyright infringement.  Quoting a sentence or paragraph, including author credits and a link to the full piece,  and writing a few paragraphs yourself on your blog as an opinion piece on their ideas is exactly how blogging has evolved.

In fact, there are TONS of directories, like http://ezinearticles.com/ that allow you to publish their content, as long as you publish the bio segment properly, also.  Internet marketers going out of their way to write an article you can use on your site for a backlink.

As a longtime blogger and internet marketer, myself, I get that a backlink is a backlink and I am appreciative of every single one.... Because, the more I get... The more traffic I get!  And TRAFFIC is my ultimate goal!

Email   IP Logged
Terri_138640
artist

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2010, 6:46pm

SmileyI say, anyone linking to me is more than welcome!  I wish they had a widget on squidoo for GCU though.  I don't think the standard ones work their do they?  It spits out any code it doesn't like.

In fact, I did something similar to my horse ornaments lens.

First I put mine up. Then I added others.  But it can be tricky with Cafepress stuff, because when you go to pick, it takes you to the marketplace.  That gave me pause, because while I appreciate the sales coming from the marketplace, I'd rather it came from my shop and gave me that slight extra (for non Cafepress folks, they've instituted a flat fee in the marketplace, which kind of undercuts the seller's own shop.)   I hunted down the name of the artists and found the actual shop name, then went through there to their own ornament page.  

Believe me, if you help other artists, they are not going to complain!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.