You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Apostrophes (Read 7979 times)
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Re: Apostrophes
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2010, 2:57pm

One of the things that is upsetting me most is that the reviewers are not consistent. I have had cards approved previously with the same keywords and I thought I was beginning to get the hang of the 'rules' by now, regarding categories. How can we learn from our mistakes if the rules keep changing?  

I've just had another batch returned for edits but some approved, which is a complete mystery to me!

Email   IP Logged
Cassie_133164
artist

Reply #16 - Aug 27th, 2010, 12:42pm

Quote from Judy_139270 on Aug 26th, 2010, 2:57pm:
One of the things that is upsetting me most is that the reviewers are not consistent. I have had cards approved previously with the same keywords and I thought I was beginning to get the hang of the 'rules' by now, regarding categories. How can we learn from our mistakes if the rules keep changing?

I've just had another batch returned for edits but some approved, which is a complete mystery to me!

I understand.  One time I am told to do one thing and then the next time told something different.  Today they declined my Araucana rooster call calling it identical to a photo of one of my Ameraucana rooster cards.  How can two different breeds of chicken and two seperate roosters be identical?  If I wanted to buy an Araucana card I would not call the Ameraucana card identical and buy that one instead when they are two different breeds.  I hope they see my point and approve the card.  And also quit changing the rules around.  Once I think I have the hang of things they go and change them.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2010, 12:50pm

Quote from Jennifer_143424 on Aug 25th, 2010, 9:49am:
I'm a bit confused!  When I look at the Grandparents day cards, I see both Grandparents AND Grandparent's (but not Grandparents')... seems like there is not only ONE right way to do it?  Huh
Micklyn

Please always refer to the punctuation used in GCU's category names.  In this case Grandparents Day
see here:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/Holidays-Grandparents+Day?cid=8

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2010, 2:23pm

Quote from Cassie_133164 on Aug 27th, 2010, 12:42pm:
Quote from Judy_139270 on Aug 26th, 2010, 2:57pm:

I understand.  One time I am told to do one thing and then the next time told something different.  Today they declined my Araucana rooster call calling it identical to a photo of one of my Ameraucana rooster cards.  How can two different breeds of chicken and two seperate roosters be identical?  If I wanted to buy an Araucana card I would not call the Ameraucana card identical and buy that one instead when they are two different breeds.  I hope they see my point and approve the card.  And also quit changing the rules around.  Once I think I have the hang of things they go and change them.

Although it appears the rules are changing they are not, it is a matter of different reviewers attempting to apply the same rules to an array of cards.  It is easier said than done.  One solution is to "assign" specific artists to specific reviewers but we fear that will delay cards even longer by not allowing them to be reviewed until "their" reviewer is online.

Cassie, our collective apologies for the team being chicken neophytes, including me.  I even took a gander at them (but let's leave the geese out of this) Wink.  To the untrained eye your Ameraucana and Araucana appear to be identical and the names are so similar neither distinctions are obvious.

Of course you have the right to contest the requested edits.  The review process is collaborative and as we've seen there are details that can be overlooked.  

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2010, 3:42pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2010, 4:10pm

Quote from Judy_139270 on Aug 26th, 2010, 12:59pm:
Now I am hopping mad!

Angry

I went along with the apostrophes question even though I think it is shocking that we are reinforcing bad grammar, 'for the sake of consistency' - where is the consistency when the wiki uses the apostrophe correctly for Mother's Day and Father's Day, but not for Grandparents' Day. Why are we pouring money, time and effort into improving literacy standards only to sabotage it by producing cards that children will probably see with incorrect use of the apostrophe?

But, as I said, I reluctantly went along with it.

Now I have had two cards declined on the grounds that they are too similar, when they are in fact, very different. I don't think the reviewers understand the concept of handpainted designs as this has happened to me before - but I went along with it. Each handpainted paper collage took hours of work and they are totally separate designs, not just an adjustment to a digitally made design.

The two cards concerned are ID: 675275 and ID: 675280.

Also, card ID 675282 has been declined on the grounds that I have mistakenly submitted it twice. But I have checked and there is no second submission of this design!

A further 11 designs have been returned for edits for ridiculous reasons, such as that I should not have included words like 'lighthearted' and 'jolly' in the keywords and that the image is crooked, which I would have thought was none of the reviewers business as it's a matter of opinion!

One of the emails refers me to the note with 'card #' which leads me to think that this reviewer must have either been very tired or the worse for wear!

Do I have any right to contest these silly objections?

Looks like 36 of your holiday cupcakes have been approved.  Are there more in the oven that still need attention?

Looks like you have 6 designs reworked 6 different ways.

See here:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/shopping/cb.asp?keyword=christmas+cupcake+ju dy+adamson&button.x=84&button.y=19

Email   IP Logged
Gail_137747
artist

Re:different cupcakes
Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2010, 7:04am

In reference to the cupcake situation, I think they are enough different that they all should be approved. It's not the reviewers' call on the art design. They should just be concerned with copyrights, grammar, etc. Let the artists do their art, without any critique. I see all kinds of cards with the same art just changed a little.  

Email   IP Logged
Karen_131257
artist

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2013, 6:44pm

Hi Judy, personally I am about to give up with GCU, it is impossible to get new cards in, and now some click happy reviewer/s is/are going through my store like a bulldozer, over 200 cards declined tonight alone and for the most stupid reasons. Most of them have had sales, customers like them and as mentioned in your post, it's none of the reviewer's business about the image orientation, composure etc, it's down to personal taste and the artist's right to individuality. I am an award winning photographer of long standing and am being treated like a kid with a toy camera. Also my use of the ENGLISH language is being insulted too, trying to tell me I can't spell in my own language, I am British and I use British spelling on my cards, customers are not just Americans! Add to this the 30% I lose from all my payments so I end up paying tax twice, once to UK and again to US, it really is not worth it anymore. It's a shame as I have been part of GCU from the start and loved it, and as I can't work for an employer due to health issues and don't qualify for much benefits I depend on the pittance I get from online sales to help me just get by. I got so upset and insulted tonight I wrote back to the reviewer that maybe I should just save them the trouble and delete my store, they aren't leaving me with much to sell or the will to carry on anymore Sad
Karen

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #22 - Feb 21st, 2013, 6:06pm

Quote from Karen_131257 on Feb 19th, 2013, 6:44pm:
Hi Judy, personally I am about to give up with GCU, it is impossible to get new cards in, and now some click happy reviewer/s is/are going through my store like a bulldozer, over 200 cards declined tonight alone and for the most stupid reasons. Most of them have had sales, customers like them and as mentioned in your post, it's none of the reviewer's business about the image orientation, composure etc, it's down to personal taste and the artist's right to individuality. I am an award winning photographer of long standing and am being treated like a kid with a toy camera. Also my use of the ENGLISH language is being insulted too, trying to tell me I can't spell in my own language, I am British and I use British spelling on my cards, customers are not just Americans! Add to this the 30% I lose from all my payments so I end up paying tax twice, once to UK and again to US, it really is not worth it anymore. It's a shame as I have been part of GCU from the start and loved it, and as I can't work for an employer due to health issues and don't qualify for much benefits I depend on the pittance I get from online sales to help me just get by. I got so upset and insulted tonight I wrote back to the reviewer that maybe I should just save them the trouble and delete my store, they aren't leaving me with much to sell or the will to carry on anymore Sad
Karen

Hi Karen,
Please let me know if there are strong selling cards that you'd like to be reconsidered.  You can email the review team and they'll route it to me.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.