You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Apostrophes (Read 7983 times)
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Apostrophes
Aug 24th, 2010, 1:31am

I've just had some cards returned for edits because I put an apostrophe at the end of 'Grandparents', which is grammatically correct - ie it is the special day of grandparents (plural).

I looked up the GCU wiki and was puzzled to see that Father's Day has an apostrophe but Grandparents' Day doesn't. The apostrophe before the 's' in Father's shows that it's a 'possessive' so why not use it for grandparents? (Because their are two grandparents, the apostrophe should come after the 's'.)

What is this all about? Can we not be consistent?

Email   IP Logged
Eve_138255
Ex Member

Re: Apostrophes
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2010, 1:45am

This has long puzzled me too, but I've learned to just do what I'm told.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2010, 1:52am

Thanks, Eve - yes, so do I on the whole.  

But it never occurred to me that this would be a problem so I didn't look it up before I submitted the cards. And because the review process is taking so long at the moment, I doubt whether my designs will be in time.  Sad

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2010, 2:00am

Hi Judy,
Here's a couple of threads where there was much talk about this very subject last month.  I remember marking them because I was using the same thoughts as you on the subject.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1252085429/9#9
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1278856050/1#1

Kati

Email   IP Logged
judith_134088
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2010, 2:03am

yes, mine was returned for the same reason.... undecided

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2010, 2:24am

Thanks, Kati - that thread was before my time so I've asked the reviewer to let mine stand as to me it is 'new' that GCU have decided to go with the grammatically incorrect version.  

Surely as there is so much confusion amongst GCU reviewers and staff, the general public (ie our customers) will also be confused so they ought to let all versions stand! Whichever form we go for, it'll be right for someone! undecided

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2010, 2:26am

Judith - isn't it a pain! And in my view totally unnecessary to return for edits on those grounds as I've pointed out above!

Email   IP Logged
Kathleen_137290
artist

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2010, 2:37am

It is a pain.. I checked around at the time I was working on cards and hallmark, etc. use Grandparents.  So decided I'd better go with the flow and edited all my cards.  It is the official name even if not grammatically correct.

Email   IP Logged
Karen_137659
artist

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2010, 5:39am

Judy - You would be correct. Being the wife of an English major - this question comes up often. If there is any doubt I usually go to Hallmark.com and see what's on their cards and if they can do it, why not us.

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2010, 5:50am

Thank you for your reply, Karen.

The reason I didn't check before I added the apostrophe is that I knew I was correct, grammatically speaking because I am also a Remedial Literacy Tutor!  

I also know that a lot of classroom teachers are in a state of confusion about when to use apostrophes and that being the case, I would have thought that GCU could have been flexible about this and accepted both the correct version and the incorrect version that seems to have become acceptable.

Email   IP Logged
Doreen_137017
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2010, 7:39am

Hi Judy,

I sure hope the reviewers have a quick turn around for you, I know from my own experience how frustrating this topic can be.

My feeling is the reviewers SHOULD NOT let your cards stand unchanged because that continues the circle of inconsistency.  Many of us artists, those new to GCU in particular, look to a specific category for what is being accepted.  By having cards that were once again 'waived' of the now common standard, only creates more confusion and inconsistency...

in my humble opinion  Grin

Good Luck!

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2010, 1:20pm

As far as I know, the issue has nothing to do with grammatical correctness. See here:

http://www.grandparents-day.com/

This is the official site of National Grandparents Day - and you'll notice the lack of possessive apostrophe. So while technically correct, the official site doesn't use the apostrophe. Cards in the categories that contain an apostrophe were likely grandfathered in before GCU's review policy came into play.

For that reason, my advice - which I follow myself - is not to look in GCU categories to find out the correct name of an occasion or holiday. If you have a doubt, try to find the official site on Google instead. You'll likely get better results.

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Need more info and how-to on GCU?
GCU 101 - http://www.squidoo.com/gcu101
Card Design Tips - http://www.squidoo.com/designcardsatgcu
Marketing Tips - http://www.squidoo.com/makemoresalesatgcu
Retail Sales Tips - http://www.squidoo.com/sellcardsretail

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #12 - Aug 24th, 2010, 3:45pm

Quote from Doreen_137017 on Aug 24th, 2010, 7:39am:
Hi Judy,

I sure hope the reviewers have a quick turn around for you, I know from my own experience how frustrating this topic can be.

My feeling is the reviewers SHOULD NOT let your cards stand unchanged because that continues the circle of inconsistency.  Many of us artists, those new to GCU in particular, look to a specific category for what is being accepted.  By having cards that were once again 'waived' of the now common standard, only creates more confusion and inconsistency...

in my humble opinion  Grin

Good Luck!

Very well stated ... we don't like to delay your cards but as Doreen put it so well if approved it will only "continue the circle of inconsistency" and confusion.

Another important consideration, particularly for those grandfathered cards still using punctuation contrary to GCU category names, is that GCU is highly unlikely to feature them in areas like GCU Picks, home page and email promotions, etc).  This is also the case with 3rd party sellers like our current online gift card retailer that hand picks cards to sell.

Email   IP Logged
Micklyn_143424
artist

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2010, 9:49am

I'm a bit confused!  When I look at the Grandparents day cards, I see both Grandparents AND Grandparent's (but not Grandparents')... seems like there is not only ONE right way to do it?  Huh
Micklyn

Email   IP Logged
Judy_139270
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2010, 12:59pm

Now I am hopping mad!  

Angry

I went along with the apostrophes question even though I think it is shocking that we are reinforcing bad grammar, 'for the sake of consistency' - where is the consistency when the wiki uses the apostrophe correctly for Mother's Day and Father's Day, but not for Grandparents' Day. Why are we pouring money, time and effort into improving literacy standards only to sabotage it by producing cards that children will probably see with incorrect use of the apostrophe?

But, as I said, I reluctantly went along with it.

Now I have had two cards declined on the grounds that they are too similar, when they are in fact, very different. I don't think the reviewers understand the concept of handpainted designs as this has happened to me before - but I went along with it. Each handpainted paper collage took hours of work and they are totally separate designs, not just an adjustment to a digitally made design.

The two cards concerned are ID: 675275 and ID: 675280.  

Also, card ID 675282 has been declined on the grounds that I have mistakenly submitted it twice. But I have checked and there is no second submission of this design!  

A further 11 designs have been returned for edits for ridiculous reasons, such as that I should not have included words like 'lighthearted' and 'jolly' in the keywords and that the image is crooked, which I would have thought was none of the reviewers business as it's a matter of opinion!  

One of the emails refers me to the note with 'card #' which leads me to think that this reviewer must have either been very tired or the worse for wear!  

Do I have any right to contest these silly objections?

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.