Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
AA and NA Trademarks & Logos - INFRINGEMENT (Read 5209 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

AA and NA Trademarks & Logos - INFRINGEMENT
Jun 1st, 2010, 1:05pm

Please REMOVE the below terms below from your existing cards and avoid using them in new cards as soon as possible.  This applies to terms in your images, inside verses, titles and keywords.  In an effort to not take cards offline by returning them for edits we are asking artists to edit your cards accordingly.  For those cards not edited by the end of this week we will take them offline by return them for edits.  

AA
Alcoholics Anonymous
NA
Narcotics Anonymous
The Big Book

Specifically per:
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=94

Trademarks and Logos
A.A. World Services and the Grapevine have registered a number of trademarks and logos, and the guidelines for using them are based partly on legal considerations and partly on the nature of A.A.

The following is a complete list of registered trademarks and service marks that symbolize Alcoholics Anonymous, its work and its purpose: A.A.; Alcoholics Anonymous; The Big Book; Box 4-5-9; The Grapevine; A.A. Grapevine; GV; Box 1980, La Viña.

Use of these marks on goods or services that do not emanate from A.A.,and have not been approved by A.A., both infringes upon and dilutes A.A. marks, in legal terms. The resulting harm is that the marks and A.A. itself, since A.A. is what the marks symbolize, will come to be associated with a variety of products and services that are not part of A.A., and are not consistent with A.A.’s purpose. This will cause the marks to lose their meaning and significance as symbols of Alcoholics Anonymous.

This also applies to written works so any written materials from these organizations as well as verbiage of the 12 steps themselves are not allowed.

EXAMPLES of ALLOWED TERMS/KEYWORDS:
For these reasons please only use related keywords that are not reflective of the organizations themselves (A.A., N.A., etc.).  For example consider using:
substance abuse, addict, addiction, recovery, alcohol, drugs, narcotics, alcoholic, drug free, sober, sobriety, clean, drug free, dry, etc.

We've identified 12 Step programs to be a widely used and common methodology so at this time we ARE allowing "12 Step" as a term.

The best way to pinpoint your cards needing editing is under Manage Cards using the Find Specific Cards by Keyword search function:
http://artist.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/my_cards.asp

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131413
artist

Re: AA and NA Trademarks & Logos - INFRINGEMENT
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2010, 1:44pm

This is great and well understood, I do 12 step cards, and would never assume to use the logo as it is a trademarked icon of the organization.  I do know that NA world services licenses some people to use their logo for a fee, but it is hard to get and use on greeting cards especially, not worth the money. IMO.

My question is why change the tags?  what if a customer is looking for that specific tag, can you redirect the customers within GCU by making AA, NA and the other words come up as 12 Step Recovery?  or will their search come up with nothing if all the tags are removed that SPECIFICALLY state the organization in any form?

Thanks for your input.
Patti

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2010, 2:38pm

Quote from Patricia_131413 on Jun 1st, 2010, 1:44pm:
This is great and well understood, I do 12 step cards, and would never assume to use the logo as it is a trademarked icon of the organization.  I do know that NA world services licenses some people to use their logo for a fee, but it is hard to get and use on greeting cards especially, not worth the money. IMO.

My question is why change the tags?  what if a customer is looking for that specific tag, can you redirect the customers within GCU by making AA, NA and the other words come up as 12 Step Recovery?  or will their search come up with nothing if all the tags are removed that SPECIFICALLY state the organization in any form?

Thanks for your input.
Patti

It is misleading.  It gives the impression that these are products created by or endorsed by the organization.  Be it protection from lost revenues or in the case of non-profits the confusion or dilution of their brand and message.

The later is likely the case with AA and similar organizations, as they've stated here where a mark can be as simple as their name:
"Use of these marks on goods or services that do not emanate from A.A.,and have not been approved by A.A., both infringes upon and dilutes A.A. marks, in legal terms. The resulting harm is that the marks and A.A. itself, since A.A. is what the marks symbolize, will come to be associated with a variety of products and services that are not part of A.A., and are not consistent with A.A.’s purpose. This will cause the marks to lose their meaning and significance as symbols of Alcoholics Anonymous."

With the power of search engines it is in fact the "tags" that lead searching shoppers to the products and do as much damage or confusion as the marks used on the actual products themselves.

Email   IP Logged
Karen_131257
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2010, 3:13pm

This is informative for me as I didn`t even know what 12 step cards were all about so never made any, now I understand it better I might make some and can avoid disallowed terms etc...
AA here in UK is also the name of a motoring organisation so they also have trademarks etc!  
Karen

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2010, 4:45pm

Hi, Mindy -

Would you be kind enough to have a look at my card PID# 470693, which is just one of an extended series I have posted? I'll willingly do whatever you advise (including deleting the whole series) but would appreciate your specific guidance on this one. The ignorant, trusting half of this designer (who never heard of "the grapevine" in this usage nor of its having been trademarked until about an hour ago) would say that there could be no confusion and therefore no infringement, but the better informed other half is well aware of recent similar conflicts and how they've been resolved, and has a sinking feeling that everything about the card series in question means it's got to go...What say you?

Thanks for your help!

Edited later to add PID# 369590, same potential problem, different design and subject

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2010, 8:09pm by Joan_135833 »  
Email   IP Logged
Peggy_137160
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2010, 5:04pm

HI Joan -

Your card (in my opinion) doesn't seem to be an infraction, since you are using grapevine in a sense not associated with AA/NA nor in the context of substance abuse/recovery.

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2010, 5:20pm

Thanks, Peggy; I would argue the same if not for having seen so many similar conflicts decided otherwise lately, in cases where there was also no likelihood of confusion or intent to profit by association. That's why I want our "management" to tell me what to do! "My" grapevine is most obviously not the AA/NA's grapevine, but some companies and organizations have been taking their ownership and assertions of infringement incredibly far.

Email   IP Logged
Penny_134243
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:12am

Done!

Good thing on I "only" have 245 cards in that category!  Wink

Looks like the editing of the keywords needs to catch up, because when I enter the forbidden words, some of my cards still show up in the search results, even though the keywords were removed.  Interesting.

Penny Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2010, 3:00am

Quote from Joan_135833 on Jun 1st, 2010, 4:45pm:
Hi, Mindy -

Would you be kind enough to have a look at my card PID# 470693, which is just one of an extended series I have posted? I'll willingly do whatever you advise (including deleting the whole series) but would appreciate your specific guidance on this one. The ignorant, trusting half of this designer (who never heard of "the grapevine" in this usage nor of its having been trademarked until about an hour ago) would say that there could be no confusion and therefore no infringement, but the better informed other half is well aware of recent similar conflicts and how they've been resolved, and has a sinking feeling that everything about the card series in question means it's got to go...What say you?

Thanks for your help!

Edited later to add PID# 369590, same potential problem, different design and subject

Hello again,

I'd be so grateful to receive guidance on the above (entire series represented by 470693 + lone card 369590). Even if I edit the keywords as mandated, the covers all still use "the grapevine" in its colloquial sense. I'll gladly follow directions if GCU will give them.  

Sorry to pester - hoping to take care of it myself so that GCU does not have to. Thanks again,
Joan

Email   IP Logged
Becky_138520
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:06pm

There is a suburb of Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas named Grapevine. If the AA trademark applied to everything grapevine, then nobody could use the name of the town Grapevine on anything.

On Cafepress there has been a long-standing problem with a lawsuit fanatic who trademarked "Caution" and has pursued anybody who used the word on anything.

Becky

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:18pm

Quote from Becky_138520 on Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:06pm:

There is a suburb of Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas named Grapevine. If the AA trademark applied to everything grapevine, then nobody could use the name of the town Grapevine on anything.

Becky

My question arises from the fact that the AA's trademark in this case includes the article; if it were simply "grapevine", the people in that town would have a huge problem, but I'd be less confused...

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2010, 12:11pm

Quote from Penny_134243 on Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:12am:
Done!

Good thing on I "only" have 245 cards in that category!  Wink

Looks like the editing of the keywords needs to catch up, because when I enter the forbidden words, some of my cards still show up in the search results, even though the keywords were removed.  Interesting.

Penny Smiley

Thank you!  Cheesy  Edits to keywords can take up to 24 hours to be reflected in onsite search results.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2010, 12:13pm

Quote from Joan_135833 on Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:18pm:
Quote from Becky_138520 on Jun 3rd, 2010, 12:06pm:

Becky

My question arises from the fact that the AA's trademark in this case includes the article; if it were simply "grapevine", the people in that town would have a huge problem, but I'd be less confused...

You are A-ok as there is nothing in your image, verse nor intended occasion that could even be considered related to AA/NA and the like.  

Thanks for checking with us, much appreciated!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Joan_135833
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2010, 12:38pm

Many thanks for this clarification, Mindy!

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2010, 2:56pm

I hope the end of this week means this weekend too!  I am working on mine, but need til the end of the weekend to complete them!   undecided

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.