Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Wondering about Ebay (Read 1969 times)
Angela_134247
Gold Member
artist

Wondering about Ebay
Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:33am

I'm sure many of you sell cards on Ebay. I'm very familiar with Ebay as a whole, but I was wondering how the best way to work with the site and GCU would be. Do you advertise the picture and caption, then order from GCU as ordes come in? Do you set up a store? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Re: Wondering about Ebay
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:51am

Hi Angela,

I've not heard of anyone here trying to sell individual greeting cards there.  Here is the problem:

Ebay insert fee is 35 cents (a cost even if it doesn't sell).
If you sell a card, the Ebay commission is 25 cents.

That's 60 cents of cost against our GCU commission of 56 cents. Sad

Perhaps buying GCU cards in Qty and making up sets to sell on Ebay might be workable, but I am sceptical.  

===========
UPDATE
===========
I did find one Card Store on Ebay.  http://stores.ebay.com/Made-4U-By-Faith
(She apparently makes her own cards somehow)

She charges $3.32/card and $2.17 S&H, so with some mark-up, even individual GCU cards could sell profitably perhaps.  We'd have to take in the order via ebay/paypal then turn around and place an order on GCU and have them send the card directly to the end customer.  Hmmm.....

Email   IP Logged
Pattiann_132699
artist

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2008, 9:14am

Please be aware that if you have an on-line store, you can't charge more for an item on eBay than you charge in your store , according to eBay's TOS. I'm not a member of eBay, but it's been discussed on other POD forums in the past.

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2008, 9:54pm

I know several who sell their cafe press items on Ebay- maybe that is what you are seeing- or perhaps they print their own?

Email   IP Logged
Laura_133629
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2008, 8:49am

I've never heard of anyone doing this, I'd imagine after ebay and ebay both take a cut of your profit you wouldnt be making much.  And that is if they sell, if they don't sell your making a loss embarrassed

Email   IP Logged
David_134612
artist

we have ebay store Ebay
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 8:33am

We have a ebay store  at
http://stores.ebay.com/valxart  
and fees can add up quickly even if there are no sales as it often is when your starting up a store.  

Its cheaper to list items in a ebay store than on auction, but it still cost a insertion fee of .05 for a single title listing per month. We don't mind commissions on sales, but fixed monthly cost add up quickly. We also list items with ebay givingworks which donates  20 to 40% of sales to non-profit orgs but the same listing fees apply even if no one buys. We have done this only a short while and its far to early to say it works well.  

Listing fees for 80 items currently in our store and  store monthly fees amounts to $25 a month.  If we added the best 1000 card designs our cost would rise to $75 even if there are no sales. This encourages you to list fewer items.  
Ebay fees are more acceptable on high ticket items.

All this shows why i love GCU

At GCU We are free to list lots of designs and let buyers decide for themselves .
We find it hard to predict what people like. We have images we were not wild about and are delighted to discover people connect with them and buy them.
If I had to pay monthly for each listed item I would only list the items i liked and  would miss out on discovering what customers  like.

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:47am by David_134612 »  
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.