Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Grand Opening! (Read 3828 times)
Janie_133125
artist

Grand Opening!
May 6th, 2008, 6:58pm

I'd like to know how everyone "launched" their storefront.

I haven't officially launched my store yet. I wanted to take 6 months to a year to make sure that I would have enough variety to maintain all of my family and friends. I want to make sure that I cover birthdays (male and female), graduations and all major holidays. After that my plan is to leisurely paint and design things that I like and add them to my cards. Any name specific items are those of friends and family. After I am satisfied with my offering, I will begin to tell groups of my friends and send a link via the promotional widget given to us. Hopefully sales and a faithful group of buyers will follow.

What's your strategy? Anyone?

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Re: Grand Opening!
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2008, 5:06pm

Hi Janie,

I can honestly say, I'm pretty sure everyone has their unique strategy. I'm glad that you actually have the option of putting time aside to design your cards and categorize them as you go along.

I can honestly say that I actually have 'no strategy' (I'm sure others would agree all the same). With my regular 7-4 job and freelancing on a temporary basis at home, I can only afford to squeeze in a couple hours a week towards developing cards for my store. I think that only 'you' know your capability and long term goals for your store, so you should do whatever you need to do. I think that's what makes GCU such an interesting place, we have a whole lot of incredibly talented
artists who's designs are just as extrodinary, unique and beautiful as they are themselves.

I think it's great if you're considering opening a store at GCU. you'll have no regrets! So whether it's tomorrow or six months from now, let me just say..."Welcome to the GCU Family!"  Grin

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Alda_133805
artist

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2008, 5:18am

Hi Oma,

I just recently opened my shop in April, but other than cards I have ordered for myself to view the quality, I haven't had any sales. How long did it take for you to see sales when you started? I have not really promoted it yet.

Alda

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2008, 3:52pm

Hi Alda!

I opened my shop around late September last year, with probably about 20 cards or so to start up with. I wasn't to sure at first if they'd sell compared to the vast amount of other cards to choose from, especially from equally talented artists. I have to be honest, the patience you must have to endure until your first sale, can be brutal!!!  cry Even though it was just the first 2 weeks of 'no sales' I continued adding my cards. It gave me something to keep busy and add variety to my store.

I got my first sale almost a month after. It was small...but I was grateful to be appreciated as an artist. After that, the sales became more steady because I think that I continued adding to my store. My sales (with a few bulk sales inbetween)have been constant so far and so have been the cheques!  Cheesy

So Alda, I think that every store should have a variety of equally unique cards. Even though I may not be too experienced in the greeting card market and only have my store to use as reference... I've looked at your store...and you really know what you're doing! You're cards are great and your words really do speak for themselves.

Continue spreading your greeting card portfolio and you will see sales! Feel free to ask me any questions anytime, I will do my best give you answers.

Best of luck!

Email   IP Logged
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2008, 4:06pm

We did chat about this once before (link below).  A common question!  I've only been here a few months and sales have been "fickle."  Some weeks I get sales everyday and then I can go more than a week with no sales at all.  Numerous times after no sales, I'll get a quantity order (4+) from one customer, and that feels good!  It's hard to say precisely and likely varies a great deal.

Having over 100 cards hepls a lot, and making them exceptional is key, as customers have an amazing choice in almost all categories, but you seem to have that part covered.  

Old Thread:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206751325/4#4

Email   IP Logged
Alda_133805
artist

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2008, 4:29pm

Thank you, Oma and Tom for the feedback. I stumbled across this site very much by mistake, and am very grateful that I did. I am not doing this so much for the money as I am for the fun and creativity of it. There are so many amazing artists and talent on this site that are inspiring, and it's just a nice outlet for my poetry and nice to be a part of such a great community of talent.   Oma, thank you for your lovely comments about my cards.  

Have either of you ever tried selling your cards at fairs or craft shows, or to any local retailers in your area? Just wondering if that has worked for anyone out there.
I don't know that I have the time to do that right now since I have a full time job, but I have been thinking about it. I live in NJ (close to NYC) and went to the Stationary Show last year, but couldn't this year. It's a bit intimidating what with the big players there, Hallmark, American Greetings, etc. I do prefer the creative end more than the selling and promoting end.

Tom, thanks for the thread. I'll read the previous comments. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Alda_133805
artist

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2008, 9:44am

Hi Oma and Tom,

Just wanted to let you know I just sold my first 3 cards!  Smiley Yea! It's a nice feeling.  

Alda

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2008, 9:56am

Grin  Congrats Alda!!!

I hope that you have many more sales ahead of you. Best of Luck!

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Alda_133805
artist

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2008, 10:00am

Thank you, Oma.  

BTW, I saw your designs...they are lovely!

Email   IP Logged
Laura_133629
artist

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2008, 5:12am

You have a lovely selection of cards Janie.  I think the key to selling is to have a broad selection of designs, then just keep telling people about them.  hopeful the word will soon spread.

Congratulations on your store tho

Laura

With Hugs and Kisses

http://withhugsandkisses.biz

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/withhugsandkisses

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5642953

Email   IP Logged
Richard_134256
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2008, 4:06am

i officially opened today with 9 images and will be adding more this week, i haven't thought about marketing yet though, my main thing was to get this up and running first off.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Delores_132508
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2008, 7:21am

I opened my store toward the middle of December last year -- really too late for any Christmas business.  It took three weeks before I made my first sale.  During the past five months sales have gradually increased.   This has been my best month ever -- I even had a bulk sale of 50 cards!   You should have seen me jumping up and down.   My advice is just to jump in and keep plugging away at it and don't get discouraged during the slow periods. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Richard_134256
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2008, 8:09am

Quote from Delores_132508 on Jun 30th, 2008, 7:21am:
I opened my store toward the middle of December last year -- really too late for any Christmas business.  It took three weeks before I made my first sale.  During the past five months sales have gradually increased.   This has been my best month ever -- I even had a bulk sale of 50 cards!   You should have seen me jumping up and down.   My advice is just to jump in and keep plugging away at it and don't get discouraged during the slow periods. Smiley

thanks for the encouragement Deloris.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.