You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
card sales (Read 2951 times)
Laura_133629
artist

card sales
Apr 13th, 2008, 2:54am

Hi  

I've just joined this group and would be interested to know how many cards people sell through this site?

Do any of you use any other sites as well as this one?

My cards can be viewed at www.greetingcarduniverse.com/withhugsandkisses be great to know what you all think  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Re: card sales
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2008, 4:07am

You have a lot of cards in your store!  You have a great style!  I am fairly new myself 2-3 months.  I will be receiving my first check at the end of April. The sales have not been steady.  You will find people to be great and helpful at GCU.  Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2008, 5:14am

Hello Laura and welcome to GCU.  I joined Dec 3rd, 2007 and have sold a total of 344 cards since starting.  In March of this year I sold  121 cards and so far this month 43 cards.  I noticed that my sales picked up once I had more cards in my store.  Many people comment on the necessity of having a quantity of quality cards to boost sales.  I also believe that categorizing and keywording correctly are very important to success.
GCU is the only place I have ever tried to sell on and I am glad that I found this site.  I find the artists and support staff to be helpful, wealths of knowledge and very supportive.  I hope you have a successful time of it here, and most important, that you have fun.
Enjoy yourself,
Linda Cool

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2008, 7:51am

Welcome to GCU Laura!  There is a thread which I cannot find right now, but it was Mindy responding to a question very similar to this one that Laura is asking.  

Basically recalling what she said, and don't quote me, was that everyone has their own style, everyone's sales are bound to be slightly different.  Some will sell better than others and some not as much.  It has to do with the quality and likeability of your designs and cards, and what the public is looking for, that type of thing.  The shopper looks at a few different things when making a selection for a card.  Of course we know design, colors, quality, ease of finding what they want, shopper in most cases, likes verses inside of the card, it's just easier for them, and the list goes on!

Just so that you know, there is no exact answer for your question.  If you work diligently, try to get as many quality cards put up as you can, then see how the sales go.  Nobody can predict how well someone is going to do.  It's fine for people to tell you what they have sold, there is a slight problem with that however, and that is you might not do as well as them, or you could perhaps do better than them, nobody can predict that right now.  So, remember that, when someone tells you how many cards they have sold.  No offense Linda, its just that you and I both know that no two stores will have the same statistics, thats just the way it is.  It's tough to even give Laura a ballpark amount of cards that she will sell.  I think for her right now hopefully it might be enough for her to know that she can look at our stores and know that we are selling, not so much how many cards we sell, but just to know that she has a chance to sell cards and to make some sales and make some money.

I will tell you I have had some sales.  I will also tell you that my sales stats do not match Linda's.  I won't say if I have had more or less than her.  That is what I consider, my private information..what I will say is that sales from store to store are going to differ, either by alot or a little, it just depends.

Just remember quality is key, so is trying to get a large variety of cards available to the shopper.  Because remember that every shopper will be looking for a different type of card.  Variety is important and so is posting as many cards as you can, and that comes with chipping away at it, as often as you can.  You will get there!  Welcome aboard and Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Hilly_132655
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2008, 12:12am

Hi Laura and welcome,
you have some pretty cards there and I´m sure you´ll do well.

As for selling here:
I have sold a few cards - probably less than most. Not because my cards are no good, and not because I don´t have enough or they are in the wrong category.
I think to do really well here you have to design cards to fit the taste and needs of the public - and I don´t.
I make cards that I myself like. And I let the public share - great if they like them, too and I make a few cents. A lot of my cards are our paintings, others are by-products of designs for my other online ventures (t-shirts, posters, gifts and other household stuff), and that´s where I make my money. Those shops are work - this here´s for fun   Cheesy Wink

Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Mike_133842
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2008, 7:57am

Any and all help with KEYWORDING correctly will be great appreciated.Smiley  I am a newbie.

Quote from Linda_132742 on Apr 13th, 2008, 5:14am:
Hello Laura and welcome to GCU.  I joined Dec 3rd, 2007 and have sold a total of 344 cards since starting.  In March of this year I sold  121 cards and so far this month 43 cards.  I noticed that my sales picked up once I had more cards in my store.  Many people comment on the necessity of having a quantity of quality cards to boost sales.  I also believe that categorizing and keywording correctly are very important to success.
GCU is the only place I have ever tried to sell on and I am glad that I found this site.  I find the artists and support staff to be helpful, wealths of knowledge and very supportive.  I hope you have a successful time of it here, and most important, that you have fun.
Enjoy yourself,
Linda Cool

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2008, 8:34pm

I was sort of wondering the same thing myself and then I came across this post. I've had 558 store visits and not a single sale. I have no idea if that is a good number in the time I've been here. Now I don't expect sales to be popping up all over the place but one would have been nice. So now I'm thinking..am I making the sort of cards that people are after or is my store really that crap? Then I think to myself, well I haven't been here really that long so maybe in time things will change. Then the thought crosses my mind that I'm just kidding myself and should just give up. So if anyone would care to give me an honest opinion...is my store any good?

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2008, 9:13pm

[quote author=Mike_133842 link=1208080488/0#5 date=1209999470]Any and all help with KEYWORDING correctly will be great appreciated.Smiley  I am a newbie.

Hello Mike
The easiest way to learn about keywording is to look at the keywords used in the best selling cards. Observe that they relate directly to the objects, features, PURPOSE of the card and are ACCURATE.

Hope this helpsSmiley I'm sure there will be others who have more advice. I wish I was the keywording queen cry

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2008, 9:14pm

Smiley Hi, Cheryl.  First of all, you haven't been here long enough to be discouraged.  Don't give up.  You have some really nice cards in your shop.  One of your problems, however, may be that many of your cards have nothing on them to indicate their purpose.  It seems that shoppers, more often than not, are looking for something specific, for example, "happy birthday, mom", "get well soon" and so on.  Without text on the outside or inside, it may deter the shopper from picking your card.  I really like your kitten pictures and the Brazilian dancers..  Hang in there!

gina

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2008, 9:24pm

Cheryl
Your photo cards are my favourites but many of them have no purpose and then people are not finding them. I think it is better to have a purpose for EVERY card you make until you are established. Then you can pop some into the collections or blank cards categories.  

If you look at the Most Popular etc cards you will see that MOST of the cards have text on the front even teh photographic ones.

It is good to remember that GCU has its roots in the reminder sites. These people come to us for cards for the special occassions in their lives - and then they will check out our EXTRAORDINARY art cards. It does help to research GCU's philosophy and constantly check the Top Onsite Keywords and the Traffic analytics.

I think that was more than my 2 cents worth. Just tryong to help.

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2008, 9:29pm

Thanks Gina..I'll take note of your suggestions and work on them. I guess I just needed someone to tell me it's worth hanging in there and that my store wasn't so bad. I just didn't want it to be a waste of my time. I appreciate you replying.

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2008, 9:34pm

Smiley Don't be so hard on yourself, Cheryl.  Your store is great.  First and foremost, this should be fun.  If it's not fun, you won't enjoy it and life is too short to spend it on things that don't bring you joy.  Have a good night and I hope you have many sales!

gina

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2008, 9:36pm

Hi Eugenia

I do see your point about the cards needing to have a purpose. I will try and go through them and add some text to the front of the cards. Being new here and to this particular item (cards) I wasn't sure the best way of doing things but I am slowly learning and I think getting advice through the forum is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2008, 9:40pm

Too true Gina about it being fun, this is the kind of thing I like to create and I especially enjoy photography so in all this is going to be fun for me sales or no sales. I'll certainly be a happy camper at GCU.  Smiley

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Pattiann_132699
artist

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2008, 9:41pm

Cheryl,

I have to echo Gina. While I do have some blank cards in my store, most of my cards (and the ones that sell) are occasion-specific. For example, your "X Box"  card is clever, but I don't know when I'd use it. How about if you put a message inside to the effect "I told you I'd get you an Xbox!" You have a lot of good cards that could easily be changed into occasion-specific cards with the simple addition of an inside message.  

Also, some of your artist's notes direct the buyer to let you know if they want a different inside message and you'll change it. The buyer can change the inside message themselves. You may want to remove that info. Even if you're willing to change the inside message for the buyer, the rest of us would find it time consuming to accommodate this request from a buyer. It's confusing to a buyer if one artist provides this service and the rest don't. It may be that that you didn't realize that the buyer could make these changes themselves. It took me a while to get the hang of things here -- and I'm still no expert. But we're all here to help each other. You'll find it to be a supportive community.

Don't get discouraged. It takes a while to see the sales. It's so uplifting to get that e-mail saying that you made a sale. And it will happen for you. It takes a while for Google and the other search engines to index your store. Just keep making cards. And think about not only those occasions for which you buy cards, but those your mother, sister, brother, neighbor buys for. And remember, 80% of card buyers are women.

Good luck,
Pattiann

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #15 - May 27th, 2008, 10:29pm

Thanks for more great advice Pattiann. I'll be concentrating on all the pointers given in this thread. Thanks for everyone taking the time to reply.

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #16 - May 27th, 2008, 10:32pm

Cheryl-

You are getting some good advice from Eugenia, Gina and PattiAnn (Hi gals!).    I think I wrote on another link about taking out the artist's note out that PattiAnn mentioned. With so many artists now on GCU it IS important to get your cards OUT THERE in the beginning.  Giving them a purpose so that they can be linked to the reminder sites is important so that they get exposure.  You have good images. . . direct them to the buyer with specific profiling.  And then, as Eugenia said, once you are "found" your other general cards will be more likely to be viewed.

And don't get so hung up on saying that you can "alter" cards to fit.  Initially folks are looking for a specific card.  Work more on key-wording and profiling.  You've only been here a month or so, but even those of us who have been here since the early days have to be more and more diligent about marketing our cards through GCU as there are more and more talented artists such as yourself.

You will have a sale soon!  Many successful artists here have waited over a month for the first sale!  

Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Reply #17 - May 27th, 2008, 10:52pm

Hi there Ernestine
Isn't it good that we can all encourage each other Cool
I see you have some new cards 192822 in particular is outstanding!!
I think you and Corrie could be crowned Keywording Queens Grin Grin Grin

Quote from Ernestine_131365 on May 27th, 2008, 10:32pm:
Cheryl-

You are getting some good advice from Eugenia, Gina and PattiAnn (Hi gals!). I think I wrote on another link about taking out the artist's note out that PattiAnn mentioned. With so many artists now on GCU it IS important to get your cards OUT THERE in the beginning. Giving them a purpose so that they can be linked to the reminder sites is important so that they get exposure. You have good images. . . direct them to the buyer with specific profiling. And then, as Eugenia said, once you are "found" your other general cards will be more likely to be viewed.

And don't get so hung up on saying that you can "alter" cards to fit. Initially folks are looking for a specific card. Work more on key-wording and profiling. You've only been here a month or so, but even those of us who have been here since the early days have to be more and more diligent about marketing our cards through GCU as there are more and more talented artists such as yourself.

You will have a sale soon! Many successful artists here have waited over a month for the first sale!

Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_133782
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - May 28th, 2008, 2:00am

I've taken notice of what some of you have said about the artists notes but I wanted to ask. Where I have said if the buyer wants a different coloured background to the card they should contact me...is it best to take that out and just add another card with the same image but different background colour? The only thing with that is I can probably only add a second card as any more than two cards with the same image gets rejected....What if I want to offer the same card but in 3 or 4 different colour backgrounds? Am I being too fussy...is it not really necessary to offer that many choices? I'd like to know what you all think before I make the suggested changes so I don't have to go and do it all twice.  

Thanks

Cheryl

Email   IP Logged
Gina_133039
artist

Reply #19 - May 28th, 2008, 8:03am

Good morning... or afternoon as the case may be for you, Cheryl...  Advise on keywords and text for cards is one thing, but advise on your own creativity is another.  As an artist, and you ARE an artist, you must go with your own creative instincts and you gut when it comes to you own images.  What do you like?  What do you think?  How do you feel?  Is this what you were looking for?  These kinds of questions are, for me, essential in my images.  I have made cards from my photographs and then taken a second look and thought "ugh"... other times, it just works.  No one can give you any help on how your images make you feel.  If you don't want to put the "different color offer" in the artist notes, add another bulletin to your store, or put this information in your welcome paragraph.  Create what you like and what feels good to you... nothing is written in stone.  If you decide it's not what you were hoping it would be, you can delete it.  Everything you create (ask any artist) will not be just right.  Some images will jump at you, and then fail you when you try to make something of them.  Have confidence in yourself and your own ability.  Have a wonderful, productive day!

gina

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.