You must login or register to post.

web site (Read 1542 times)
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

web site
Apr 9th, 2008, 12:15pm

Hi all,
I know a lot of you already have a web presence, and are quite internet-suave.
Well, I did have a blog before coming here, but no website for my card images.
I have only just begun...And I will be SLOW, I warn you...I would appreciate it if you folks would stop by, when you have the time and tell me what you think of it so far.  
And perhaps we can talk about it here rather than on that website, so that others like me can learn.  I think a lot of us here can use any constructive critism from those more experienced.  Thank you so much to one generous community!
www.CardArtFTH.com
Sue

Email   IP Logged
David_133145
artist

Re: web site
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2008, 1:12pm

Sue,
Web sites, and the creation of them, are a labor of love.  It does take time.  The hardest part is intitially starting one.  Now you've done that, and a fine job you've done! Cool
Congradulations kiss
Have fun making it grow!
~David

Email   IP Logged
Sandra_133229
Gold Member
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2008, 1:44pm

Nice job, Sue!  I really like the start of your web site, and the way you are displaying the cards.  Very professional looking!.  I am in a similar boat you are in with web stuff.  I just enough to do it, but not enough to do it Wink  I look forward to watching your site as it progresses!
Sandra

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2008, 2:45pm

David and Sandra,
How very sweet of you to take the time to go on over and take a look!   kiss kiss
And thanks for your encouragement.
You know, it is already helping me here.  I am setting up my site much as you would find the rack in a brick and mortar Card Store.  And this makes it glaringly obvious where I need more cards.  I have just started Anniversary and find I only have one general, (not counting the year specific) and one for spouse.  Well, Well, Well!  What about SISTER AND HUSBAND, BROTHER AND WIFE, MOM AND DAD, DAUGHTER AND HUSBAND, SON AND WIFE, GOD DAUGHTER AND HUSBAND, etc, etc.???
This web site will help me enhance my shop here, if nothing more!  A grand exercise I will highly reccomend to anyone here who does not already have a web site.
Thanks again, David and Sandra.  You're real troopers.
Sue

Email   IP Logged
Pattiann_132699
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2008, 2:52pm

Sue,

I admire you starting this. It's a lot of work and you have a great start. However, I'm seeing some strangeness in how the page design is playing out, at least for me. Maybe no one else is seeing it? I'm going to send you a message through your GCU storefront so you can (if you like) send me your e-mail address so I can send you some screen shots. I looked at it in both IE7 and Firefox.

Pattiann

Quote from Sue_132963 on Apr 9th, 2008, 12:15pm:
Hi all,
I know a lot of you already have a web presence, and are quite internet-suave.
Well, I did have a blog before coming here, but no website for my card images.
I have only just begun...And I will be SLOW, I warn you...I would appreciate it if you folks would stop by, when you have the time and tell me what you think of it so far.
And perhaps we can talk about it here rather than on that website, so that others like me can learn. I think a lot of us here can use any constructive critism from those more experienced. Thank you so much to one generous community!
www.CardArtFTH.com
Sue

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2008, 8:15pm

Hi Sue,

It's a good start but, before you go too much further, you might consider planning what you are going to have on each page of your site. It looks like you have started your inventory on the first page of your site - since you seem to be alphabetising your cards, maybe a section for A-D, E-J etc might break things up a bit and make sure that not too much is "below the fold" i.e. way off-screen.

My own site is not the most professional in the world, to put it mildly - I am not a professional web designer but have played around with web design on and off for years. If you want to have a look, I'm at http://www.redrosedigitalart.com. By the way, I would appreciate your comments about my site too  Smiley .

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Pattiann_132699
artist

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2008, 8:30pm

Sue,

I will send you the screen shots tomorrow. I am behind in preparing for a photo show my students are having at the local Senior Center tomorrow. I teach computers and digital camera there and they are such a great bunch! They are so excited about the show. My hope is to set them up with a store here and have the profits go to the Senior Center.

Pattiann

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2008, 9:07pm

Hi Sue-

Great start to your website.  I see the same thing as Pattiann.  It seems that the cell block with "home-about us-contact us" is overlapping the "contact form" table.  It also makes the fill-out process very touchy, so it "sent" before I was done. . . so you may have two messages from me.
     How are you building the site?  Are you using a template or starting from scratch?
I agree with David, my site is so messed up right now, I hope to get it cleaned up  and rid of all the "under-construction" links this weekend. Roll Eyes

(Some weather we're having, huh?  The black flies will be here in no time!)
-
Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2008, 3:12pm

Took a super quick peek, my only comment would be put your card widget up there to right away get a link to your store, slideshow of all your cards and any promotional info that GCU offers...in addition to seller commissions  Smiley

A good start and good luck to you!

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.