Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
Please explain limitation of Same Image cards.... (Read 6484 times)
Tom_133317
Gold Member
artist

Re: Please explain limitation of Same Image cards.
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2008, 4:54am

Harry my friend,

You and I have a lot in common.  I have never liked rules or guidelines, and questioning authority once was a full contact sport for me.  But then I was put in charge of a few things and had to develop rules and guidelines for others, and whatever I came up with, always had gray areas or situations that seemed to be illogical, even to me!

After years of wanting to be right all the time (a pesky guy thing), I tried instead to channel my energy towards what I like doing just as much as bucking the system, and that was doing my "art."  Even here at GCU, I initially had a card rejected; a "4th" card, and I even had 4 very different captions on them!  My first instinct was to put on the boxing gloves and go at it, but instead, I decided I've been down this road too many times in my life, and opted, rather, to channel my energy towards making more "art," even though I had every right to spin endless variations of the same design under the rules.  

You know, as a result, I've made a lot of hilarious new "art," and am now selling a growing number of cards, none of which would have happened if I were instead working on my jab, upper-cut, and round-house punches with GCU.  My store is filling up, and it sure is a lot more satisfying making new cards and seeing sales grow (though I have to admit, I miss the invigorating effects of the smelling salts).

Harry, your art is exceptional.  I honestly adore the 3D effects and the softness in your cards.  This sets your art apart, and the design possibilities are endless.  You have a style that is very appealing to the core buyers here, and in time you will develop a strong following with enough offerings.  

As a final thought, it may seem odd to us stubborn nonconformists, but this sadistic "rule of 3," and some of the other rules, can be very helpful in getting types like us to move on to new card designs, resulting in more selections in our stores for customers, and ultimately more sales.      

Oh, and while I have your attention, I think the new cards you posted are off- center by about 8 pixels.  Just thought you’d like to know. Grin

TOM  

Email   IP Logged
Harry_132595
artist

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2008, 5:28am

Quote from Tom_133317 on Mar 20th, 2008, 4:54am:

Oh, and while I have your attention, I think the new cards you posted are off- center by about 8 pixels.  Just thought you’d like to know. Grin

Well Duhhhh ... yea ... they have to be silly boy ... LOL

I know what you are saying Tom ... I've been down this road too many times, but when I see some of the stuf that happens here that is a direct result of the system and the "rules" ... I can't help but shake my head and wonder what people are thinking all around.

And thank you for the compliments on my cards ... I don't know if it's art or not ... that seems to give it too much credit.  I just keep playing around and trying.

Email   IP Logged
cheryl_131479
artist

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2008, 11:59am

I had/have many of these same questions...

Last time I was trying to add some cards here  
(In January.. I've been bad)
I stopped because I  
A-had a BAAD migraine
B-wanted some answers to my questions before putting more effort into my cards...

Some of my questions were never answered... and I never got around to coming back, digging up the thread, and asking for answers again so that I felt like working.

The planned easter cards are now moot until next year... but I'd still like answers.

Whichever staff member is answering questions here... could you please take a peek at my last 2 posts in this thread? Smiley

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1201119889/5#5

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2008, 4:32pm

Hi Harry,
Obviously you are frustrated and I apologize.  Our intent is not to limit artists.  I can answer your questions and share with you our reasoning.

Your example of the general Anniversary category is correct.  You do see a page or two or three of the same card.  However, that is with the Newest sort (Most Popular is the default) and with hundreds of new cards being added every day that "view" is short lived.

The same is occurring in the general Birthday category with the Newest sort (as well as most popular sort which reflects that age specific cards are quite popular).

Additionally, we are working on a powerful shopping tool that would essentially minimize if not eliminate the need for shoppers to shop by category links, so issues like this will be corrected.

There are two main differences between same design cards for ages/years/relations vs color variances.  First, of which you are aware of, is that the aged/years/relations cards do appear in different categories (when the shopper clicks beyond the general category).  

Second, shoppers do not have to decide between an 18th or 17th Birthday card, it's not a matter of preference.  It's a matter of fit.  

We allow the exhaustive collection of ages/years/relationship specific cards so they're ready to go.  Card shoppers are on a mission and when wanting to get something in the mail time matters.  No requesting, no waiting, just click and buy.   Yes, you could say the same thing about colors thus we allow 3 which we feel is a reasonable offering.  If they're dying for chartreuse, then they'll ask for it and be willing to wait.

The Artist's Notes field is the perfect place for a message to the shopper.  This gives you the ability in case they're wondering if you'll create it in other colors to tell them just that.

You bring up a wonderful observation that perhaps the identical image cards should at least vary a bit.  Absolutely, that would be ideal!  We have suggested this before on the forum.  The more personalized the better.  Changes to cater to gender and age range make those cards that much better.

Eugenia does an excellent job of this:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/store.asp?store_id=156&CGID=20 9&mage=1

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2008, 5:08pm

Quote from cheryl_131479 on Mar 20th, 2008, 11:59am:
I had/have many of these same questions...

Last time I was trying to add some cards here
(In January.. I've been bad)
I stopped because I
A-had a BAAD migraine
B-wanted some answers to my questions before putting more effort into my cards...

Some of my questions were never answered... and I never got around to coming back, digging up the thread, and asking for answers again so that I felt like working.

The planned easter cards are now moot until next year... but I'd still like answers.

Whichever staff member is answering questions here... could you please take a peek at my last 2 posts in this thread? Smiley

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1201119889/5#5

Hi Cheryl,
Sorry those were missed.  Just posted our answers.  Let me know if we covered everything.
Mindy

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.