Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Creative Works Misuse Policy (Read 15789 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: Creative Works Misuse Policy
Reply #45 - Feb 23rd, 2016, 6:02pm

Quote from Kathleen_137290 on Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39am:
Mindy, I have often wondered about artist using the same photos and images from BigStock in their designs and stopped making BigStock cards some time ago because of my concerns about originality.  It’s so much fun to cruse through all the great images there and find one that fits an idea I have about a card and many of the images inspire ideas for cards too.

For example, I was looking for a BigStock image for an auto mechanics card and came across this image that I thought was beautiful that was totally unrelated that inspired me to make this card about quitting smoking: http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/encouragement-cards/quit-smoking/quit-smokin g-celebrate-each-smoke-1245024  I remember wondering at the time if someone else who is a smoker trying to quit and a nature nut like me would use the same image for the same subject.  Or, had someone else used this neat image for a different occasion and did it matter?

Perhaps you should consider removing images from BigStock once they are used for a card. That way whether someone used the same image for a card, whether it was intentional or coincidental (as Mary expressed), would not come up.  That way you would not have to make these difficult decisions.  It’s too easy for cards with the same BigStock image designed with the GCU tool to have the same or similar composition.

As Mary has shared we have specified in the Nuts & Bolts tips here:
http://gcucommunity.com/2014/03/12/nuts-and-bolts-blast-from-the-past-bigstock-g uidelines/

"Also research the stock cards already created to take note of stock images that have already been used in the same way/occasion. If the image has been used, ensure your design is significantly different and ideally, for another occasion. See this example of three cards using the same image, each a little different than the others, and each for a different occasion."

No need to take these great images offline after a single use, other artists may have a totally different idea for the image.  Artists just need to take a little extra time to see what is being used and how before proceeding with their design.  This is not much different than designing a card from scratch.

You can do a simple onsite search to see if the image you'd like to use is being used already, and how.  For example search for "cuff gray kitten" with "cuff" identifying all of the cards bigstock cards as they are required to be in the "Off the Cuff" category.

This would result in:
http://shop.greetingcarduniverse.com/search#w=cuff%20gray%20kitten

After seeing what is in use you can hen decide to use the same image in a different way or choose a different image.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #46 - Feb 23rd, 2016, 6:16pm

Quote from Mary_140624 on Feb 19th, 2016, 5:33pm:
Thanks Mindy, my fault for not checking first...there was certainly no intent to "copy",Why would I with a "Big Stock " picture? Yes I agree the reviewers do have an eagle eye, which is wonderful.
Why would I want to use an identical card to yours?
When I got the please edit I just assumed it was OK.probably being a bit lazy, and I was not feeling the best!( as I have explained to you).
I am sorry but it WAS coincidental, re everything including the stripes at the top.
When looking at this card in its original form, it is feasible that one would add another stripe to add interest....and fill the gap at the top, as we did!
I assume you won't believe this, but it is true.
I also did NOT check out your card, or I would have changed it radically, or not used it at all....it would have been very much in my interests to do this, wouldn't it? If you check out my store originality is my forte.
Just to clarify, does it mean the phrase "I nose ..." should never be used by anyone else?
I just feel you have been a very harsh with me.
This is not a subject that I would expose to public scrutiny, as it is an awful thing not to be believed, and have people think you are cheating in some way, but I think it should be aired, as it will clarify things a bit, and I feel I must defend myself and my integrity. It is not an easy job you have Mindy, I appreciate that.
I know rules are rules, but there are some grey areas in this issue which I feel are very unfortunate, and I am paying a too heavy price for it.

Sadly I doubt anyone will plough through all this to give an opinion!!

Mary, we are very sorry about the poor timing and additional worry and stress this has caused you.  We too preferred this as a private conversation via email until your forum posts.  But yes, artists will probably glean much from this conversation so thank you for your transparency.  

We hold firmly in our decision to curtail any new submissions to your store with the exception of custom design requests based on existing cards.  Whether intentional or unintentional misuse by an artist, GCU stands by our policy and guidelines.  

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2016, 12:26pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Teresa_349610
GCU Newbies

Reply #47 - Feb 26th, 2016, 6:59pm

I really need some help putting my greeting cards to public

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #48 - Feb 29th, 2016, 11:44am

Quote from Teresa_349610 on Feb 26th, 2016, 6:59pm:
I really need some help putting my greeting cards to public

Hi Teresa, please look for an email from me today.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.