Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Creative Works Misuse Policy (Read 16581 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Creative Works Misuse Policy
Feb 16th, 2008, 9:25am

GCUniverse will enforce this policy in order to prevent the misuse of the original creative works, image/art and verse, of artists.  All GCUniverse artists have agreed to and accepted in our Terms & Conditions that they have or own the rights to use and sell all images/art and verse they submit.  Artists also agree to this each time a card is created.

Granted there may often be similar ideas and concepts, even verses, however at no time should an artist's cards be a clear "copy cat" of another's image/art or unique verse.  

As for the usage of stock photography/images, artists are responsible for abiding by the stock site's licensing rules of usage and limitations in regards to reselling and proper accreditation.  In acceptance of GCU's T&C, artists accept and acknowledge to having the appropriate rights to use stock photography/images in this manner.  

Although we do review and approve cards, we do not verify or validate image/art and verse rights.  Any legal implications for creative work misuse is the sole responsibility and liability of the submitting artist.

Based on reports of potential abuse, GCUniverse will contact artists in question giving them the opportunity to rectify the situation by changing or removing the suspect card(s).  GCUniverse has the right, and will upon our discretion terminate an artist from GCU and their use of our site and services.  

GCUniverse will not tolerate the copying of another artist's creative work - no copy cats, poachers, no "borrowing", no stealing.  If it's not your idea, artwork or unique verse - Don't use it!

To report misuse of your creative works please send an email to:
reportabuse@greetingcarduniverse.com

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009, 2:26pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
El_131850
artist

Re: Create Works Misuse Policy
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2008, 12:10am

Well Said  Cool

Email   IP Logged
Juliette_133346
GCU Newbies
artist

Re: Creative Works Misuse Policy
Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2008, 8:00am

I am new to this so I am just learning the ropes.  
Dustin found me and I sure am glad about that.  
How about posting some possible card messages without running into copyright issues. I don't mean having canned messages available. Just some suggestions of possibilities. I fear that my messages are so old fashioned because I come from an era, before the internet,  Smiley  when people were pretty formal in their invitations.  

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2008, 12:20pm

Quote from Juliette_133346 on Feb 29th, 2008, 8:00am:
I am new to this so I am just learning the ropes.
Dustin found me and I sure am glad about that.
How about posting some possible card messages without running into copyright issues. I don't mean having canned messages available. Just some suggestions of possibilities. I fear that my messages are so old fashioned because I come from an era, before the internet, Smiley when people were pretty formal in their invitations.

Something like this may come in the future if we offer a "message genie" like feature.

I've read some of your verses.  They are lovely so I think you're doing a fine job.  Kind words never go out of style Wink

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2008, 2:46pm by Mindy »  
Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 29th, 2008, 11:17pm

Mindy,

Thank you for giving us this clearly stated policy and guideline for GCU artists.  

As I've said before, you are amazing ... and GCU is the best!  Thanks again!   Smiley

--------

@ Julie ...
Your cards are beautiful!!!  Gorgeous paintings ... and the inside messages are lovely and sincere.  Like Mindy said, kind words and warm sentiments never go out of style.  Good luck and much success to you!

--------

Big thanks to Inge, who provided this link in another thread:  http://www.verses4cards.co.uk/    

This is a great resource for help with verses for all occasions.  I've corresponded with Jon Bratton, the owner of the parent site Imag-e-nation.com, and he said it is fine for GCU artists to use their verses.  He has written many of them himself, but he cannot guarantee the copyright status of those by unknown authors.  Still, it's a great souce for inspiration.  The only caveat is for those selling more than 50 cards per week.  If you are lucky enough to be in that catagory, you may want to contact him for permission and/or nominal licensing terms ... he seems like a very nice man who is very supportive of crafters and card makers.  Again, thanks to Inge!

------

@ El ....    Smiley    

Email   IP Logged
Phyllis_H._133318
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2008, 5:06am

Quote:
... I've read some of your verses.  They are lovely so I think you're doing a fine job.  Kind words never got out of style Wink

I totally agree!  

Email   IP Logged
_132335
artist

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2008, 1:21pm

Thank you Teri and Thank you for doing so much more extra research to help out Smiley
I wished to do more, but haven't had the time needed and health too, so it was very nice seeing you doing all this here and in the other thread too Smiley

Have a wonderful weekend Smiley

Big Huggs
/Inge Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Moses_133387
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2008, 2:13am

Hi!

I am a newbie and hope this is the right place to ask about Fonts that appear in the front cover design. What are the guidelines , if any, concerning copyrights regarding fonts?

Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2008, 3:15am

I would imagine the same copyright applies to created fonts as it does to images.  

There are so many fonts available on the web, it can be very difficult to tell if the font is trademarked or under copyright or not, especially with so many sites dedicated to collecting fonts and offering them to the public. Before downloading from a font site, check the terms of use. Some font sites will give information on individual fonts, whether they're free for all use, free for personal use only, are shareware, or require a license to use commercially.

If you can't find terms of use, using the font is at your own judgment. Usually, if someone does have an objection to your using their copyrighted font, they'll send you an email or report it to GCU admin.

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Moses_133387
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2008, 3:19am

Thanks Corrie!

Email   IP Logged
Margot_133341
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2009, 2:38pm

Ok - I noticed a card using a quote from Emily Dickinson on a someones beautiful card. - I'm not wanting to get that person in trouble, but I find myself wondering did that slip through the system or is it ok use quotes or did they some how get permission to use that Emily Dickinson quote.  - My question is about the use of quotes. I have a number of great quotes on prayer that I would love to use by various preachers from the past. Can I use them if I list who said the quote. Or do I have to seek out who holds the copyright for many of these long dead people.  
Most of these quotes I found in various places on the internet or in books that I have read.
Could someone shed a little more light on this subject please.

Email   IP Logged
Michele__136368
artist

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2009, 3:29pm

Hi Margot!

I'm interested in the answer to your question as well, as I have used 2 or 3 quotes on here already - and have included the author's name where possible.  And I have used Biblical quotations without a second thought.

It's my understanding that if you do that, and the quote is obviously in the public domain as quotable quotes........?

Some quotes that I personally found while reading particular books 20 years ago, and made note of, run rampantly on the internet now.  Are we to believe that every person using them got permission?

Glad you brought it up, in case I'm doing something wrong on here.

Michele

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2009, 10:41pm

Whether it's okay to quote a quote will depend on whether the quote remains under copyright or not. For example, the speeches and writings of Martin Luther King, Jr, are still under copyright to his estate. Some versions of the Bible are copyrighted (not the King James version, obviously, but other more modern translations). Using quotes on cards is at your own judgment. You'll have to do research to find out if the quote you want to use is copyrighted to the author or his/her estate, and if permission is required.

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2009, 4:43pm

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Apr 14th, 2009, 10:41pm:
Whether it's okay to quote a quote will depend on whether the quote remains under copyright or not. For example, the speeches and writings of Martin Luther King, Jr, are still under copyright to his estate. Some versions of the Bible are copyrighted (not the King James version, obviously, but other more modern translations). Using quotes on cards is at your own judgment. You'll have to do research to find out if the quote you want to use is copyrighted to the author or his/her estate, and if permission is required.

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Correct, thank you for chiming in Corrie.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Norval_132688
Gold Member
artist

Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2009, 5:09pm

Specific Question Mindy, does this policy rule out all vintage images, because they definitely are another artist work from the past, even if repainted and re-composed, even if source is given.  If so I will get mine off imediately.   Thank You Norval

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.