You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
A BIG PROBLEM!!! (Read 4171 times)
Oma_132016
artist

A BIG PROBLEM!!!
Feb 13th, 2008, 7:02pm

Ok!

This is officially the first post that I've ever started and it's unfortunate that it had to happen because of a problem I noticed!

Unfortunately, I'm having a similar problem as Teri! The only difference is, it's basically my artwork (original idea) that another GCU artist is copying! It's just in a different proportion and colour! The artist even used my design to make about 7 different versions of the card! Are artists allowed to do that?

I honestly don't want to sound like I'm over-reacting but it's not a pleasant feeling to be browsing through cards on GCU and find your work being altered to suit someone else's purposes! I didn't even have to look hard...the artist recently added them! I work a normal full time job 7 a.m - 4 p.m., I freelance for other companies from around 5 p.m.-9 p.m. and log onto GCU afterwards to relax and decompress from my day and work on that I've found a recent passion for...DESIGNING CARDS! So I think it's just downright cruel to mimic someone's hard work without any consideration for the artist's creativity / property!

I have absolutely no problem with artists having similar ideas, especially when we get the oportunity to fulfill requests from shoppers! I think it's understandable that alot of us would have extremely similar ideas when the shopper gives details...but this particular card I'm referring to WAS NOT A SPECIAL REQUEST!!! It's a design I've created and used in my own cards as part what I thought was my own unique taste! I honestly don't feel comfortable with ripped off versions of my work on the same site!

I'm not sure how cards are approved but I think that more attention should be paid before approving designs! I can really understand how Teri felt when she discovered her literature in someone else's cards!

I really hope that Mindy or anyone else on staff can help me get a better understanding of how this could happen!!!

And fellow artists' - I'd advise you to start browsing around GCU to make sure you're safe from all of this!

cry Oma

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Re: A BIG PROBLEM!!!
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2008, 8:39pm

Oma  
I have seen the cards you are referring to!!! yikes - the similarities are too close for my liking too!  I have had lots of my stuff "copied" and sometimes outrightly pinched and resold, so I know how it feels.

I don't think GCU is really able to keep a track of it, basically we have to do our own policing, but they have already set a precedent by addressing Teri's situation.

Hope you can work it out - perhaps you can pm THE PERSON AND TELL THEM TO CEASE AND DESIST!

Email   IP Logged
Brandi_131489
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2008, 9:29pm

My first reaction is it is possible someone copied your card - but it is equally possible they simply came up with a similar idea on their own.  

I had just finished writing a book. I took the manuscript with me to the bookstore (this was before PCs. it was a hand-typed manuscript), looking for similar genre books so I could get some names of publishers to submit it to. I had a particular publisher in mind, I needed their address. So I went to my section, and there on the shelf was a book with the exact same title as mine, the same number of chapters ... potions of it were practically verbatim of my manuscript! The kicker ... it was published by the publisher I was after. I tossed the manuscript into the trash in disgust.  

True story. I swear on a stack of Tarot Cards <g> (the book was going to be called "Create Your Own Tarot Cards").

Another time, I had done some celtic knot stuff, I had used a historical design as my inspiration. Someone else had the same idea, apparently. They reported the design (at a competing POD) and I ended up proving my design was older. I expect that was pretty embarrasing for them and it was a hassle and a nightmare for me.

On the flip side, I actually have had people copy my work. If you are going to be online, people will copy you. It's part of the deal. You deal with it when it happens, don't take it personally.  

So yes, maybe someone did copy your artwork, and use that to make derivative works. Maybe they didn't. I'd report it privately, directly to GCU staff. Let them investigate in private. If it is a legitimate infringement, they will take care of it. If not, you'll be spared the embarrassment, and possible counter-charges that you copied them.

Email   IP Logged
candace_131548
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2008, 10:40pm

Oh dear! This is quite upsetting. I read about Teri's problem and now yours! Very, very upsetting.  I wonder what can be done? So sorry! I would be upset, too!

Candy

Email   IP Logged
Brandi_131489
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2008, 10:49pm

Quote from candace_131548 on Feb 13th, 2008, 10:40pm:
Oh dear! This is quite upsetting. I read about Teri's problem and now yours! Very, very upsetting.  I wonder what can be done? So sorry! I would be upset, too!

Candy

All you can do is choose not to get upset <g> ... I do what I can to stop outright theft, but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. Way I look at it, it's the marketing that makes the difference in the end, and if they are too thick to come up with their own ideas, chances are they won't have too much talent on the marketing side either. Most of these thieves are really a minor nuisance, not a serious threat. They rarely ever sell anything before they get caught. 90% of them are just ignorant of the law, they don't mean any ill will, and when you clue them in, they are usually very quick to take down your stuff. Same for the PODs ... they don't want thieves operating on their servers. Most of these companies have an abuse department, I am sure GCU has one, so far I haven't had need of it - if I found my stuff in another shop, I'd just email support.

Email   IP Logged
Edition_132952
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2008, 11:06pm

I would be interested to see a comparison of the cards. I saw such matters discussed a number of times on other boards in connection with art on EBAY sales. Outing the copycat and showing the theft in the public can help to stop this.  

Edition Handdruck - Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/editionH
Email   IP Logged
Brandi_131489
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2008, 11:12pm

Quote from Edition_132952 on Feb 13th, 2008, 11:06pm:
I would be interested to see a comparison of the cards. I saw such matters discussed a number of times on other boards in connection with art on EBAY sales. Outing the copycat and showing the theft in the public can help to stop this.

In my experience, outing them in public only annoys the staff at the POD and does nothing to deter thieves. They have no shame to begin with. And if you are wrong, you are the one who ends up looking bad.

Email   IP Logged
candace_131548
artist

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2008, 11:20pm

Brandi,  
 What does <g> mean?

I don't obsess about it! But I also do NOT think it is so innocent as you portray. Even kids in grade school know that they should not copy! I'm a firm believer in giving someone the benefit of the doubt! I couldn't find the cards mentioned (couldn't spend enough time) but if the artist and the (for lack of a better word) wordmiester both have real issues, I think they should be addressed now! Soon, before these people strike again!

These are two people who's sites I like! I do NOT like what is going on with them! They should have our support!

Maybe the 'copy' cards and words should be exposed for what they are?

Candy

Email   IP Logged
David_133145
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2008, 11:32pm

TO MUCH TALK AND NO ACTION.  LET'S SEE YOUR IMAGES AND THE OTHER PERSON'S IMAGES. WHO IS THE PERSON? WHY THE DRAMA?  LET'S GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT.

Email   IP Logged
David_133145
artist

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2008, 11:43pm

IF SOMEONE RIPPED OFF MY STUFF, I WOULD PROBABLY NEVER KNOW IT. I AM DRAWING ALMOST 14 HOURS PER DAY, SO I HAVE NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY TO GO AND CHECK EVERYONE ELSE'S WORK, AS MUCH AS i WISH I COULD. I DO CLICK ON THE LINKS IN THE FORUM AND THAT IS INFORMATIVE.
HOWEVER, IF I DID SEE MY ART IN SOMEONE ELSE'S SITE I WOULD NOT GO ON AND ON ABOUT IT.  I WOULD GO INTO THIS FORUM AND TELL EVERYONE EXACTLY WHO THAT PERSON IS. WHAT DESIGNS WERE DUPLICATED, ETC., PERIOD. THEN I WOULD E-MAIL THEM AND LET THEM KNOW EXACTLY HOW I FEEL, AND HOW MY ATTORNEY FEELS..
OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2008, 12:58am

About 2 minutes' detective work later, I've seen both cards in question, and I agree that the design seems too similar to Oma's to be accident or coincidence.

Similar designs are going to happen whenever artists congregate. If two artists have the same idea at the same time, and each of them creates the design in their own style, that's just happenstance. Example, if I draw a nurse on a card, and someone else draws a nurse on a card *in their own style* then no copying has taken place. There's plenty of room on GCU for everybody to do their own take on cards in every category imaginable. One person's design featuring a sheep won't be exactly the same as someone else's sheep design. Similar idea, original execution - that's the key to judging deliberate copying vs. serendipity.

However, if an artist blatantly copies another artist's design and layout, line by line as it were, and it's very obvious that's what they've done, then yes, GCU admin needs to get involved at that point.

Oma, if you haven't already done so, you might want to email Mindy directly and report the abuse to her.

As for the discussion... folks, let's stay polite, okay? There's no need to shout or make personal attacks. We all want to protect our intellectual property, but I'm sure no one wants to create a hostile environment either. GCU has already shown they can and will get involved in a timely manner. They have a good track record about responding to problems. Give them an opportunity to do their stuff without the added annoyance of a forum in flames.

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
cliff_132876
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2008, 2:55am

I agree with Corri. God, I'd hate for someone to notice something in my store that looks similar to their work and think I've copied. I'm a member of  a Gallery and this same question was raised during a meeting I had with an artist coach. I had asked about artists copying my work...and I was told that it is possible that it could happen, but not to worry because unless they copy me line for line, color for color, and create an image like mine, it is unlikely the image would be an exact duplicate. we may have the same idea, but we all have different styles and techniques etc.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_132015
artist

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2008, 4:04am

I should be safe. I don't do that type of style of greeting cards. I draw mostly and not do poems on the front of the card. Just, Happy New Year, Merry Christmas, Happy St. Patrick's Day, Happy Birthday, etc... . My cards are generalized. Still. There seems to be an over flow of artist now at Greeting Card Universe. I don't think I can sell the little bit of cards I do have in my store. The list of greeting cards for so meny different things is far more than I can keep up with. Those that have hundreds of cards to thousands, just blow me away. I take time to draw my cards. Howe can a person upload 15 to 50 cards at a pop? It's too much. I might be able to get one to 5 cards up at a pop and it would take me months to do it. cry embarrassed kiss I'm going to enjoy Valentine's Day and not worry about making cards just now kiss kiss kiss Wink Smiley.

Email   IP Logged
Wendy_132744
artist

Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2008, 6:28am

Unfortunate?  It's downright naughty. Sad  
I also hand draw most of my cards.  Mostly my own ideas but some old sayings - always with a twist of some sought.  But even then, knowing that my stuff is origional, I still check the category first to see if there is already a card there with the same idea.  
If i saw a drawing or photograph or digital rendering of what I am about to upload; the idea gets binned.  (although I have never had to yet)  I want to be origional, I want my cards to be different to everyone elses.  What is the point of copying; it belittles the artist in us.
Even when it was Valentines and everyone did hearts; I managed to make mine different.  C'mon it's not that hard to check it hasn't been done before.  
You should really report them.  Maybe they don't realise what they have done; but then again maybe they do!  They need their nuckles rapped anyway!  Time to show we wont stand for it!

Email   IP Logged
Teri Francis_131425
artist

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2008, 8:23am

Oma, I'm so sorry that this happened to you.  It's obvious to me that you put great thought and care into your artwork and designs, and it's terribly unsettling when you find that someone has taken it and claimed it as their own.  Believe me, I know.  Mine were only words, and not very clever ones at that, but they did have personal value to me ... if I had half the artistic talent that you and many others here have, I can't begin to imagine how upsetting it would be.  The time and personal investment it takes to come up with beautiful artwork is far more significant in my opinion than mere words.  But the principle ... and the crushing feeling in your heart are the same, no matter what the medium.  

Corrie's advice is right on target.  Contact Mindy or support, if you have not already done so.  They will look into it and respond to you ASAP, I'm sure.  

I disagree with those who think we should just shrug it off and accept this kind thing as just the cost of doing business on-line.  It is up to each of to decide what we want to put out there, how we choose to market it, and what course of action to take if our intellectual property rights are violated.  This forum is intended for GCU artists to disuss all aspects of our work ... politely, respectfully, and in the interest of the community.  I wish there had been more discussion on this topic before now.  Perhaps there wouldn't be so many artists under the misconception that this is okay to do!  

As for publicly "outing" offenders, or posting comparisons for others to judge, I have no problem with holding people to account for their actions, or their accusations.  But as I mentioned in the other thread, there are legal considerations in doing so.  If you feel your work has been purposefully purloined and you choose to make a public accusation, that's fine ... the risk is yours to take.  But others who choose to tread more carefully should not be made to feel afraid of airing their problems and concerns here, as long as they do so with some consideration for the facts and the rights of others.  We need to be vigilant, yes ... vigilanties, no.

The key issue that needs to be address is policy.  GCU needs to establish a clear--and CAN'T be missed-- statement of policy on this subject.  They also need to provide all of us with a clear guideline of what steps to take if we feel that this has happened to us.  Don't think for one moment that I didn't want to contact certain people directly ... but I could find no policy or protocol on this from GCU.  At the other sites where I sell my work, there is no ambiguity about their rules.  Some places frown on that, preferring that they be the arbiter between the parties, not the public ... and it can get you bounced off their sites for violating a clearly stated rule, even if the other person was found guilty.  

Concrete guidelines that can be seen by all and enforced by GCU would go a long way in nipping these problems before they get out of hand.  Personally, I'd like to see clear-cut offenders have to forfeit any commissions earned on infringed property--not necessarily given to the infringed upon artist, though that would be cause for much debate.  Give it to a charity at the end of the year, or back to GCU for development ... but if those who are knowingly doing this found significant deductions in their next GCU paycheck, that would certainly curtail their incentive.  It won't eliminate it completely, or keep others from trying ... but once they realize they won't profit from it, two things will happen:

1)  the unwise but truly innocent people will take greater care to be original and give some consideration to the the fact that what hurts one of us, hurts all of us.

2)  the professional knock-off artists will pack up their virtual easels and brushes and go elsewhere.  If they can't turn a profit here from copying others, they won't hang around for long.  

Oma, you have my support and sympathy.  Don't let it discourage you ... I have no doubts this will be taken care of quickly.  Keep creating your beautiful designs and glorious colors.  And thank you for having the courage to inform us about what happened to you.  This was your first topic post, and I hope it will not be your last ... let's hope we'll all have more positive things to disuss and attend to in the future.    

Teri

Email   IP Logged
David_133145
artist

Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2008, 11:52am

I apologize for my "shouting" in my reply. In my defense, I was so involved with making my response, that I did not notice my "cap locks" were on.  
I do feel that a person should immediately notify the GCU people if they really feel there is a problem.  I went thru so much "weirdness" (to put it niceley) in Zazzle that I do tend to over-react.  Next time I'll try to take a couple of  embarrasseddeep breathes before I type something.  Thanks for the "heads up" Corrie. My apologies.

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2008, 1:53pm

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to thank you all for all the advice and your genuine concern for this situation. It is truly appreciated.

I did send a personal message to Mindy last night about my discovery and I've even named the artist. I haven't gotten a response from her as yet! I have to admit I was pretty upset last night about it and even contemplated letting everyone else know who it was...but I've calmed down a little today and realise it's not such a good idea. As for whether I'm sure it's my artwork that was copied...I HAVE NO DOUBT! You guys are entitled to your opinions but I'm not sure how you guys would take it if you saw 'versions of your designs floating around'.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't think that what the artist did was right but I'm going to be the better person and wait for Mindy or anyone from the GCU staff to address this.  

The thing that I don't understand is, the artist seemed to be talented, I've even noticed the 'rising quantity' of cards she's been producing lately. So why would she be taking such unique ideas from other artists and copying them over? I couldn't help wonder if she was doing it to anyone else besides me! If I were you guys, I'd be worried....I don't mean to scare anyone but you have to be aware and take notice! I would hate for anyone to be in my position right now!

I always refer to you guys as my GCU family because I thought everyone here came together for the same purpose, to form the best and most unique range of greeting cards that surpasses our limitless imaginations. I love designing cards and I'm grateful to be apart of something so great as GCU with some of the best artists I've come to know.  

I think that, as artists on GCU, if we find something disturbing, especially when it concerns any kind of copying we should inform each other.

Again, thank you all for your concerns and comments! I will keep you guys informed if anything happens from here.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2008, 4:33pm

Hi Oma,
I sent you a private message.  I hope you got it. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2008, 3:30am

Wow Oma, just caught up on this thread after having witten to Teri about hers  Shocked

It is upsetting but I agree with Teri and Corries comments entirely. Hold on in there, report it to Mindy & Co and hopefully it will get sorted. Maybe Mindy & Co needs to be setting up some kind of 'direct complaints procedure' for artist to email them directly, as this does seem to be becoming more than just a one-off problem...?  

My thoughts are with you  kiss

PS. I don't generally have time to look at other artist's stores (only a few of my absolute favorites!), but I'm beginning to wonder, in light of this issue, if I should now.  undecided

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2008, 5:23am by Catherine_131549 »  

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2008, 10:45am

Hi again,

Got your message Kathy, I replied!

Thanks for the concern Catherine and just thought you'd like to know, I barely have time to upload cards when I get home, so I was lucky to have noticed the cards as 'NEWEST'. I'm still waiting on some kind of answer to this situation.

The longer this takes, the more confused I get about it! undecided

I've been thinking that even if this situation gets resolved and let's just say, that this artist or anyone else is allowed to continue 'reproducing and altering' other artists work, what would this site come to? I think that we'd be going around in circles! Our originality and uniqueness would get lost in what would become a sea of generic spin offs! And I personally think that it defeats every reason of being called an artist!

I'm not going to give up on this so called copying! I think that it's morally wrong. Again, if this artist is allowed to continue mimicing other GCU artist work and has no consideration or remorse towards other artists imagination then I think they should be eventually exposed. I mean, if they are so bold and self-righteous about copying, then a little warning about them in the forum to the other artists in GCU should be of little concern to them! What do you guys think? Too harsh?

Oma.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2008, 2:36pm

We are in communications re: Oma's posting.  We are also working on several ways in which we can make it clear to artists that using other artists' art/images/verses is not acceptable.

Thank you for you understanding and patience on this topic and please stay tuned.

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2008, 4:09pm

Hi Oma,

I really feel for you. Teri's and your experiences have been particularly obnoxious. I did see the cards that you mentioned and they were a very ill-disguised knock-off of your cards. It's good to see that Mindy et al have the situation in hand now so hang in there. You have lots of support here!

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2008, 9:27am

Please see this posting:

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203182737/0#0

This will message will be used in other places throughout on our site so the message is clear and pervasive.

Email   IP Logged
Oma_132016
artist

Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2008, 10:32am

Hi again everyone!

I just wanted to inform you that Mindy and the GCU staff we're very responsive and discreet in handling this whole situation.

The artist has agreed to remove the cards. This whole situation has been unfortunate and I would like to take this opportunity to say 'THANKS!' to everyone for their support and advice.

I will look upon this situation in a positive light. We have all become more aware of the challenges we face in order to grow as artists and I have recognised the strength and heart of the great artists that belong to GCU. You all are truly an extension of family!

Oma.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.