You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
Backing up work (Read 5981 times)
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Backing up work
Feb 2nd, 2008, 5:45am

How often do others back up their work on their computers.  Should I be putting everything on discs?

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Re: Backing up work
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 7:24am

CoolALWAYS!...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Wendy_132744
artist

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 7:28am

Oh yes, you never know when something will crash.
All my electronic pics (I did a few) are on disc as are photos.
All my doodles are on paper in a file.  I colour them in on the computer so that is easy enough to re-do should the unexpected happen!

Email   IP Logged
Yassine_132473
artist

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:18am

Hi Linda !

It's better to have many hard disks drive (HDD). Don't place your cards on the hard disk drive system because if it crashes, you'll lose your disk system informations and not the other (independants) hard disks.

Smiley

Ya

Greeting cards made by ya-graphic:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/yagraphic
Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:31am

Seems like we discussed this before.  I recall mentioning that I do have a TON of disks burnt with my files on them.  But I have many more to burn.  Is there ANY WAY to reduce the amount of disks?  Because If I shrink the size of a file, then when I restore it to it's original size again it will distort.  Sad    Any way to get around that?  I am all EARS Smiley

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:39am

SmileyHi Cara... The best thing to do for that. is a WB My Book Premium 500GB external Hard Drive, with automatc Back up... You can hold thousands of pictures and files here...for a mere $139.00... No more Discs lying around...and if your system crashes, everything is safe...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:30am

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?...........
I'm all ears!  What is this and how and where do I get it???
Thanks so much for a piece of information that just might save my life!
I try to back up my work, but of course am never completely caught up.  And with thousands of photos....Well, suffice it to say that I have lost a lot of my work in the past with two computer crashes...
Thanks!
SueB
Quote from phrank_131619 on Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:39am:
SmileyHi Cara... The best thing to do for that. is a WB My Book Premium 500GB external Hard Drive, with automatc Back up... You can hold thousands of pictures and files here...for a mere $139.00... No more Discs lying around...and if your system crashes, everything is safe...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:13pm

Wow thanks Phrank!  That sounds like what I would be needing, and I have a birthday coming up LOL...hehehe thank you! Wink

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:16pm

Quote from phrank_131619 on Feb 2nd, 2008, 9:39am:

Yeah, but... What is to say this external hard drive won't crash and burn?  Is there a guarantee, or is it an illusion of security?  Granted it would be great to have one place instead of 20 thousand double layer dvd's that are only readable on the computer one had created them on, talk about a problem there, to store ALL my images!  I'm working on it!  But how reliable is this external drive, what does WB stand for, and where does one buy this creature of false security.  undecided

Thanks for your help phrank!

Shari
www.flowerswithfeelingscentral.com  

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:41pm

SmileyHi Shari...The Great thing about having an External Storage drive, is after you download all your files, pictures ..etc.  You UNPLUG it from the computer...So if your computer crashes or theres a storm and a huge power surge, your storage device has nothing to do with the computer. They are not connected...Get It..500 GB's is more than enough to store pictures. I have a 180 GB storage and Its holding 4 thousand+ pictures right now and I still have about 50 Gb's unused..Do the Math everyone..and with the lower cost of storage these days I will be trading mine in for at LEAST 500 GB's..You can order from the net @ www.Tigerdirect.com, or better still, find a Best Buy, Or Frys Electronics near your Neigborhood...and take it home the same day. They generally plug righ tinto your USB port. No Hassle or Hi-Tech instructions...Plug in,DownLoad, Unplug, put it away for that rainy day...capt.

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:46pm

embarrassedSorry Everyone...There was a comma in the Link I gave it doesn't work.. so here it is again...    www.tigerdirect.com

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:49pm

Thanks, Phrank, I'm going to Best Buy ASAP to get one.  I appreciate the tip.
Linda

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:49pm

embarrassedScuse me again.. When you get to Tigerdirect on the left hand side click on Harddrives, then scroll down to WD (Western Digital) My Book Premium...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:51pm

Quote from phrank_131619 on Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:41pm:
SmileyHi Shari...The Great thing about having an External Storage drive, is after you download all your files, pictures ..etc.  You UNPLUG it from the computer...So if your computer crashes or theres a storm and a huge power surge, your storage device has nothing to do with the computer. They are not connected...Get It..500 GB's is more than enough to store pictures. I have a 180 GB storage and Its holding 4 thousand+ pictures right now and I still have about 50 Gb's unused..Do the Math everyone..and with the lower cost of storage these days I will be trading mine in for at LEAST 500 GB's..You can order from the net @ www.Tigerdirect.com, or better still, find a Best Buy, Or Frys Electronics near your Neigborhood...and take it home the same day. They generally plug righ tinto your USB port. No Hassle or Hi-Tech instructions...Plug in,DownLoad, Unplug, put it away for that rainy day...capt.

Sounds good to me!  For that size, I can backup my entire 250 GB which is only used up on 60gb so far for a long time and I wouldn't even have to zip anything down.  I like fully extracted files to work with much better than backed up zipped files.

This is a task for Super Bowl Sunday before the game, off to Frys we go!  Then I don't have to worry what computer I hook up to, and it will be able to be read from any computer, yes? no?

Also, what does WB stand for?!?!

Thanks for all your great info!

Shari

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:00pm

SmileyHi Shari... It will work with any computer as long as its not ancient..LOL... WD is the brand name, Western Digital. You can Google them...When You plug into you computer, Make sure its OFF First, then when your computer comes on, get to your desktop, click on My Computer, and the Storage device will show up as E: Removable Drive... Thats if you only have one drive which is normal..If you have two drives , Like I do, it will be F: and so on..Drive D: should be your DVD or CD Drive Just click on the New Drive and start storing..capt.

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:13pm

Okay!  You've got my vote! Thanks phrank!  This is exactly what I've been looking for.  All this time I've been using Double Layer DVD's, to find that they are not readable on my other computer.  Do you know how much Double Layer DVD's cost!!!!  Much rather to the External Harddrive.  Thank you!  I've been worried, if something were to happen to this computer, and all my DVD's aren't readable on another system. AAAAHHHHHHHH!  I might be able to get some sleep when I have this drive.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  Grin  Grin  Grin

Shari

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:40pm

SmileyYour welcome Shari...If you go to an Electronics store in your town, there maybe different Brands other than Western..Just tell  the sales person what your looking for and for what purpose and they will Hook you up...Have a Great weekend...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 3:51pm

Capt. Phrank,
You are my hero!
I just completed my order and can hardly wait for it to arrive.  It's my Birthday Present, and just in the nick of time!
Thanks again,
SueB
Quote from phrank_131619 on Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:49pm:
embarrassedScuse me again.. When you get to Tigerdirect on the left hand side click on Harddrives, then scroll down to WD (Western Digital) My Book Premium...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 4:09pm

Is this product good for backing up my graphic files, psd, jpeg, etc?  Or is it only for photos?  I know, my computer ignorance is showing...I can use all the help I can get!
I've been saving all my files as both psd and jpeg on my desktop, a mac 0SX lap top.  Am I a disaster waiting to happen?
Thanks in advance,
Linda

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 6:49pm

Quote from phrank_131619 on Feb 2nd, 2008, 1:00pm:
Smiley... It will work with any computer AS LONG AS IT IS NOT ANCIENT!..LOL... WD is the brand name, Western Digital. You can Google them.....capt.

. . .Speaking from a point where my hard drives did recently crash and burn. . . AND working with an ANCIENT computer (a Beige Mac G3 circa 1997 w/OSX on one partition, OS9 on another) with a measly 30GB harddrive,  I am well aware of the importance of backup.  (I didn't loose anything, but it took a good day to reinstall and rebuild everything!)  

I was able to install as USB card on the old G3 a while back, so I attached an Iomega detachable drive where I keep art work and I also save finals to CDs.  I'm still able to run several graphics programs at a time (Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter) as long as I keep several GBs working space available.  But it does get frustrating. . . and I know it's not nearly as fast as the newer computers. . . which I know I will have to get sooner than later. . . but finances dictate LATER!  Grin

Where I live, there isn't access to some of those "big box stores" to get cheap stuff for Macs, so I pretty much get things on line. . . they key is to know WHAT you're looking for!  I belong to an online Mac Users group in my area where I have gotten SO much useful information.  Probably couldn't have gotten this far with my "dinosaur" without them.  It's a user friendly forum similar to this one.

Been doing a lot of "non-computer" artwork lately as the computer crash encouraged me to "step-away-from-the-screen" for a while.  I need to do that every now and then to stay artistically focused! Wink

Well, I've gone on long enough. . . BACK-UP, BACK-UP, BACK-UP!!

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Sandy_132125
artist

Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 4:11am

Hi, im a little late in this conversation...but just this week we had a lightning storm.
I was working with my adobe creating ..i went to save iand it told me that my catalog was gone!!
well...fortuanately we had just bought a new computer in december and my husband had put my almost 40000 photos and artwork on discs. But, i had not backed up for the month of january yet..i was panicking and then he reminded me that it was all stored on our external notebook...what a relief that was!It took 3 aand 1/2 hours for adobe to rebuild my catalog...so yes make those discs and save to external drive!
just my 2 sense worth  Shocked
happy creating!
budrfli!

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 9:02am

SmileySandy, Hello..didn't your computer save everything?...Go to your RESTORE file.. Its in Windows.. Everything SHOULD be there.Just pick a Save Point and tell the computer to RESTORE at that point in time..Its a great program...Linda, storage devices don't have preferences. They will save anything you download to them...JPEGS BMPs, MPEGS, PDF's it doesn't matter. You can save Books, Movies, Music, Pictures,Games anything...capt

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #22 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 1:09pm

Hey phrank!

I need your opinion!  Are you there?

Fryes does not carry the WD My Book Premium 500 GB external Hard Drive you mentioned.  However, they do have a Maxtor 500GB Shared Storage II Network Attached Storage External Hard Drive (gigabit Ethernet) (2 USB 2.0 ports) on sale for $189.99 (regular price is $249.99).  

Will that work for what we talked about?  I was going to go over there now.  I hope you are there.

Let me know if this will work for what we do.

Thanks for all your help!

Shari

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 3:27pm

SmileyHi Shari...I'm sorry I didn't get back to you right away..I really wanted to help before you went to the store...Do you have a Best Buy?... They are selling the same device for $116.00.. Just make sure it has all these features. and Make sure your computer HAS a USB port 2.0 or 1.0 Maxtor makes Good Drives.. I have a 30 GB Maxtor..Never had aby problems.. The Company is here in my neighborhood...I hope this Helps

This convenient external hard drive provides you with up to 500GB of storage space for your digital photos, movies, music and more.

Product Features
500GB maximum storage capacity  
High-speed USB 2.0 interface; backward compatible with USB 1.1  
Maximum data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps via USB 2.0  
7200 rpm for fast read/write times  
Auto updater helps keep the OneTouch customizable button current  
Plug-and-play storage for quick and easy installation  
Includes USB cable, power adapter and quick-start guide  
Compatible with Mac and PC  

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #24 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:08pm

SmileyHappy Birthday Sue! Have a GREAT day...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #25 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 6:43pm

Quote from phrank_131619 on Feb 3rd, 2008, 3:27pm:
SmileyHi Shari...I'm sorry I didn't get back to you right away..I really wanted to help before you went to the store...Do you have a Best Buy?... They are selling the same device for $116.00.. Just make sure it has all these features. and Make sure your computer HAS a USB port 2.0 or 1.0 Maxtor makes Good Drives.. I have a 30 GB Maxtor..Never had aby problems.. The Company is here in my neighborhood...I hope this Helps

This convenient external hard drive provides you with up to 500GB of storage space for your digital photos, movies, music and more.

Product Features
500GB maximum storage capacity
High-speed USB 2.0 interface; backward compatible with USB 1.1
Maximum data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps via USB 2.0
7200 rpm for fast read/write times
Auto updater helps keep the OneTouch customizable button current
Plug-and-play storage for quick and easy installation
Includes USB cable, power adapter and quick-start guide
Compatible with Mac and PC

Too late!

We don't like our Best Buy here because "they" never have anyone that helps you.  I called a friend of mine that works for Ritz Camera where I have a membership, and he said Maxtor is a good product.  I was reading all the reviews I can find on the WD and the Maxtor, and they both have their share of good and bad reviews, so I couldn't make up my mind.  After speaking with my Ritz Camera friend who is rather computer geekish and is in touch the computer things, he said Maxtor's are real good and if I'm concerned about my external HD crashing, I could also back all (unlimited) my pictures up free of charge and Ritz backs up their systems every night.  So I would not only have my External HD, but Ritz as a 3rd backup and they back theirs up every night.  Then I can burn the amount of personal documents that I keep on my computer to single layer DVD's which are readable on my other computer.  I'm just having trouble with my older computer reading my DL DVD's because it is not a DL DVD reader.  Aha!

The Maxtor I bought (and I bought a 3 year complete replacement warranty for $30 - call me paranoid...) has the following specifications:

Lan: IEEE 802.1, IEEE 802.3u
Transmission Speed:  1000Mbps/100Mbps/10Mbps
Connectivity: 10/100/1000 RJ-45
Gigabit Ethernet port
Expansion/Sharing: USB2.0/1.1
ports for additional external hard drives or printers
Drive Performance: SATA II, 7200 RPM
Compatibility: UPnP AV

Will this work?  I told them what I wanted it for to be able to completely drop and drag copy all my pics/folders/documents not in backup mode, just in full (not zipped or backed up) file formats so I can use them without having to extract them, without having to use software that performs backups.  They assured me this would work.  What do you think?  Oh, god, please say it is ok.... undecided

Let me know.

Thanks!

Shari

Email   IP Logged
Rosanne_132497
Gold Member
artist

Reply #26 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 7:21pm

Hi everyone,

phrank has been giving everyone great advice but I thought that I would throw my two cents worth in. No specific recommendations since I live in Australia and don't really know the US stores. Personally, I use a Maxtor external 150 Gb hard drive and back up my files after every computer session. I have had personal experience with disk failure when I wrote my PhD thesis and the disk containing my original files failed. Luckily, I was diligent with backing up EVERY DAY so I did not lose any data or other files.

There are many types of media out there for data storage with external hard drives being the easiest to use. That is really the crux of the matter - it HAS to be easy to use otherwise it doesn't get used. If necessary, place a note at the bottom of your computer monitor that says "Backup". Don't laugh   Grin, I had to attach signs like this to computers at work in order to remind people (including myself) to do this.

Bottom line - if you don't have a backup device attached to your computer (PC or Mac), run out TODAY and get one and immediately copy all of your files to it. Next, make sure that you backup your files after every session at your computer. Thirdly, if you do experience aberrations with your hard drive, whether in your computer or an external one, immediately stop using it and take it to a competent computer technician. The sooner you stop using a damaged hard drive the easier it will be for a computer tech to recover your files.  

End of rant.  Smiley

Cheers,

Rosanne

Red Rose Digital Art Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/RedRoseDigitalArt
Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #27 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 8:33pm

Hi Shari... I Like Maxtor Drives. As I said, I have an Internal Drive. I took it out of an Old Computer and Have been using it in a Newer Computer I built. It works fine as a Back Up device, But an External is much better if you don't have Knowledge of the Inside of a computer. You have to Know about Masters, Slaves and How to Change the Drives... Anyway, This is a good One you bought, You didn't tell me the Model so I'm not sure What model you bought...I'm guessing its a "One Touch".. The UPnP is a new format thats Used for Sharing Files over the Internet, Not my Idea of smart. I wouldn't share anything over the internet. it stands for Universal Plug and Play Audio/Video. So if you want to share a movie, or Music with someone over the Internet, This is the feature you would use, But it does consist of letting your Firewall down, and allowing someone into your computer.. Not a good Idea. I would Just use the Maxtor for backing up everything...and buying a warrenty is ALWAYS a Good Idea..When dealing with electronics, We have to understand, Things do happen. we can't get away from that., but for the most part, Electronic devices do work well...Good Luck...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:14pm

Quote from phrank_131619 on Feb 3rd, 2008, 8:33pm:
Hi Shari... I Like Maxtor Drives. As I said, I have an Internal Drive. I took it out of an Old Computer and Have been using it in a Newer Computer I built. It works fine as a Back Up device, But an External is much better if you don't have Knowledge of the Inside of a computer. You have to Know about Masters, Slaves and How to Change the Drives... Anyway, This is a good One you bought, You didn't tell me the Model so I'm not sure What model you bought...I'm guessing its a "One Touch".. The UPnP is a new format thats Used for Sharing Files over the Internet, Not my Idea of smart. I wouldn't share anything over the internet. it stands for Universal Plug and Play Audio/Video. So if you want to share a movie, or Music with someone over the Internet, This is the feature you would use, But it does consist of letting your Firewall down, and allowing someone into your computer.. Not a good Idea. I would Just use the Maxtor for backing up everything...and buying a warrenty is ALWAYS a Good Idea..When dealing with electronics, We have to understand, Things do happen. we can't get away from that., but for the most part, Electronic devices do work well...Good Luck...capt.

The Model name on the back of the unit says:  Maxtor Shared Storage II.  Yes, after screaming (an having a tantrum like a 12 year old) Angry cry Angry at the instructions because it doesn't mention ANYTHING about connecting it to ones HD using a USB cable (which I bought separately for this THING!), I WAS able to connect it through my Ethernet Verizon Fios Router.  Then I watched the lights flash between one Ethernet cable and the other when I was copying from my HD to my external.  It went quickly.  But I was concerned, when that happens, are my pictures and documents going out on the internet? Can someone steal my stuff?  I've disconnected it after I was done.  However, if I wanted my Other computer to read it, I had to install the software and connect it to the same thing I set up on the internet.  Once that was done, my older computer could see what I had copied to the new External HD.  So I created a subfolder on the new External, and I copied everything from my older computer to it.  So, now both my computers are backed up and I still have 429 GB of space still available.

I'm just not real happy about the internet thing.  I just hope my "stuff" is not out there on the internet.

It disconnects easy enough.  I've turned it off and unplugged and disconnected from the router so hopefully all is safe.  Too much!  Brain hurt!  It doesn't help I'm seriously hormonally challenged at the moment.  Grrrrrr......!

Maybe now I can breath a little easier and relax.  Yeah! At Last! Cheesy

Thanks for your help! Grin

Shari

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2008, 12:01am

SmileyHi again Shari...I'm sorry I didn't get back to you before you went shopping...I still think you bought a Great Back up unit, but it is a little more complicated than I would have chosen....Your files are Safe. The only way someone can come in and take stuff is if you give the O.K to let them in....Your having the UPnP is only saying you have the capability to do so..This is a feature which you have paid for and probably will never use. Thats the only complaint I have with this paticular model. I'm really surprised you had to buy a USB cable..Didn't it come with one?...If you feel Uncomfortable with what you purchased, you CAN take it back.. I think once you start using it you will feel better about it..It's New and it feels different, Thats all..However, should you change your mind, this is the model I would have recomended...capt.

500GB Basics Personal Storage 3200 USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Maxtor  
Store all important documents, photos, video and music safely and securely in the Maxtor Basics Personal Storage 3200 external hard drive!  

USB Type B (M) Connector
9.3ms Average Seek Time / Up to 7200rpm performance
Spindle speed is 7200rpm / Buffer size is 16MB cache
Warranty: 1 Year
Ideal for the home and office, the 500GB Basics Personal Storage 3200 USB 2.0 Hard Drive is simple to install. Just plug in the USB cable and your Personal Storage solution automatically appears as another drive on your computer. Perfect for the Home PC or laptop user who needs extra storage in a hurry, you can use the extra capacity to free up the space on your PC or to add more of your favorite files. It can hold up to 375,000 digital photos (JPEG-normal), or 8,250 hours of digital music (MP3), or 35 hours of DV video. Price $150.00
Computer Requirements:
PC: Windows 2000 Professional, XP Professional, or XP Home Edition 128 MB (256 recommended) RAM or more as required by operating system Pentium III, 500 MHz equivalent processor or higher CD-ROM drive Internet connection (for system updates) Mac: Mac OS X (10.2.8 or later) 128 MB (256 recommended) RAM or more as required by operating system Apple G4 processor or greater CD-ROM drive Internet connection (for system updates)

Email   IP Logged
Edition_132952
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #30 - Feb 4th, 2008, 3:55am

Since a couple of months I use an external harddisk (seagate Freeagent) that synchronises automaticly with my laptop. It took some time to configure it,but now it´s working. The main purpose of this device however is to provide a disc that you can take with you ,connect to any other computer and then work with it as if it was your own.

Edition Handdruck - Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/editionH
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.