Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Frustrated Card maker!! help! (Read 1533 times)
Brooke_133158
GCU Newbies
artist

Frustrated Card maker!! help!
Jan 29th, 2008, 6:42am

Hello, I just stumbled upon this site. I am slowly but surely starting up my own greeting card business. I found a software that I love and include my own art and text. The problem is....how to print them!!  

I wanted to start printing them up myself since I'm just starting out. So I got this card stock that was about 110 lb index and it came out okay but not professional looking enough. So I bought this 140 lb card stock which is thick and feels very professional. I have been looking to buy a printer that can handle that thickness and am having NO luck!! I contacted all the major companies like HP, Canon, Zerox..they ALL say they dont have printers that can handle that weight Sad

So what I am wondering is 1- is there a printer for me (I dont care if it is like $500 or so) (and it would have to have a double sided option without having to do it manually cause that would take forever) OR 2- should I use a printing company. Even if I found this magical non existing printer, would I have to spend too much money on ink in the long run. Please help. I am getting so frustrated. I tried overnightprints.com and the paper they used was horrible.  I want the most inexpensive but professional printing job.Any info would truly help. Thanks!

Brooke

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Re: Frustrated Card maker!! help!
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2008, 7:40am

SmileyHave you tried Kinkos?..They have a very good print turnout. You can pick the stock you want,that they have, Watch them print, and check it, in your hands, as soon as it comes off the press...Its alot better than trying to find something on line that you can't hold in your hands and feel... Check your yellow pages and see if you have one in your city or town...I don't no where your writing from. They printed some cards for me about a year ago. I thought they were Great...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2008, 8:33am

I wish I could help you Brooke but I really think that phrank has the best idea.  

I have a question about a greeting card business from home.   What is the preferred method..going online and having the sales go through a website or setting up shop in your home?  Or perhaps going door to door in a business district with a portfolio..I am dumbfounded about this, but have often wondered how would someone go about setting up a greeting card business.  If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!  Thanks and have a great day!

Email   IP Logged
bill_133117
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2008, 8:57am

Try Vistaprint.com. We've had them do our Xmas cards for 6 years now. The quality is good. The prices are low. There's no way you could compete with your own printer....

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2008, 8:58am

SmileyHi Cara...I have been thru the research part of this question. The old addage, "It takes Money to Make Money", goes well here. There are plenty of printers out there that will do the trick for home Card makers, but they can cost up to $3000.00 and the cartidges are just as exspensive. I would let someone else do the printing, a B/M business, (brick and mortar..real store) so that quality can be maintained. ..You have to have a Rack made ,or Racks, to hold your cards. Most stores won't give up their space fpr Newbies. A rack with your name or logo is preffered. Try getting a Kiosk at your local Mall. The rent space isn't cheap but You have complete control of Quality, customer questions and sales.. Hit all art fairs, Flea Markets, Festivals. Make sure you have a good inventory...Forget trying to sell to Card shops like Hallmark..They don't want the competition any more than you would. The start up is exspensive, but it can be done once you get going...I'm all for self Employment. I owned my own Graphics business for 18 years... I'm semi-retired. I just want to design now, not do all the leg work, door rattling, and Sales meetings..Those days are behind me..Gladly..Its all very simple, "if you want something Bad enough, Go Get It, Let nothing stand in your way and do the Reasearch..." Imerse Yourself!...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Alissa_132660
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2008, 9:21am

It simply isnt cost effective to try and print your own cards by volume yourself.  

My ultimate goal is to have my own online ecommerce site for my cards. It is a daunting task and also takes time and money. for now, I am using GCU just to get my cards out there and monitor demand, markets, traffic, etc.  

The flea markets and craft shows is a great idea. Buy booth space and bring your work. Its all about letting people know you are there. They cant buy your cards if they dont know you exists  Smiley  

Exposure is what you need.  

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2008, 9:57am

Thank you so very much phrank and alissa for your advice, its very much appreciated Smiley

Email   IP Logged
LD_131511
artist

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2008, 11:45am

I think alot of those printers use papers in those big plot printers which run huge sheets of paper through. I doubt that a professional printer prints one card at a time through as we do at home but I could be wrong.

I just know when I hear about presses printing products they use those huge plot printers which can cost in the 1000's of dollars.

I prefer having someone print it for me only cause I know if I were able to afford the kind of printer necessary for mass printing of cards, my neighbors would kill me cause the noise would be terrific!  Grin

~L~

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.