Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Matte vs. Glossy ? (Read 1981 times)
Lisa_133043
GCU Newbies
artist

Matte vs. Glossy ?
Jan 20th, 2008, 2:45pm

Just out of curiosity, how many of you choose a Matte finish or Glossy finish for your cards?

If you use both, what criteria do you use to decide which finish to choose?

TIA!

Lisa M

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Re: Matte vs. Glossy ?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2008, 2:52pm

Quote from Lisa_133043 on Jan 20th, 2008, 2:45pm:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you choose a Matte finish or Glossy finish for your cards?

TIA!

Lisa M

Hi Lisa,
Mostly I try to use what my subject would actually look like.  If it is water glistening under the sun, I would use Glossy.  But if it is a landscape watercolor or pastel, then I will used matte. Sometimes I use an old (vintage photo) that would have been Glossy originally--no brainer--Glossy.  Sometimes, these rules don't apply...then I just picture each in my mind and decide which I prefer.  Hope this helps.  
Good Luck,
SueB

Email   IP Logged
Dustin_133010
artist

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2008, 6:44pm

I use matte, since it's slightly more environmentally friendly. And I am happy with the way the finished product looks.

Dustin

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131448
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2008, 12:00pm

Matte finish is my personal favorite, so that's what I've been using. I believe that the customer also has the option of changing the finish, if they choose to do so.

Kat  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2008, 9:32pm

i am just the opposite, i have liked the glossy finish better on most all of mine.  perhaps especially on the photos.  my matte cards looked washed out and dull so i decided on a few to keep it, when the image worked, like the angel cards i have, they looked good on matte.  but most i stayed with glossy.

also i notice my text, if i use a bevel and contour, drop shadows, sometimes that doesn't translate well on the matte.  still testing though

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2008, 2:04pm

Quote from Kathy_131448 on Jan 21st, 2008, 12:00pm:
Matte finish is my personal favorite, so that's what I've been using. I believe that the customer also has the option of changing the finish, if they choose to do so.

Kat Smiley

Yes, the shopper does have the option to change the card finish if they like.

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133043
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2008, 3:20pm

Thanks for the input, guys!  I am seeing that there is no hard and fast rule.  I am thinking about trying some with glossy...I've only done Matte so far...and I agree that my photos would probably be best suited for that.  

Is there any way to get a preview of what the difference would look like???  (hint, hint)  Wink

Thanks! again

Lisa M

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2008, 3:58pm

Quote from Lisa_133043 on Jan 22nd, 2008, 3:20pm:
Thanks for the input, guys! I am seeing that there is no hard and fast rule. I am thinking about trying some with glossy...I've only done Matte so far...and I agree that my photos would probably be best suited for that.

Is there any way to get a preview of what the difference would look like??? (hint, hint) Wink

Thanks! again

Lisa M

Your cards would look great in glossy.  They are so colorful the colors would be really vibrant and pop!

Email   IP Logged
Shari_132735
artist

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:49pm

Quote from Lisa_133043 on Jan 20th, 2008, 2:45pm:

TIA!

Lisa M

Hi Lisa!

I have been using Matte finish for my late mothers watercolor paintings and Glossy for my Nature Photos cards.  I have seen samples of both because I happened to send a bunch to my in-laws for various reasons.  I like the watercolor paintings in Matte because it allows the customer to see all the painting strokes.  Making it more real life painting.  Whereas, I like my Nature Photos in the Glossy.  They look real good in that format.  They would look dull if they were in the Matte.  But a work of art like a watercolor painting is usually Matte.  So I was trying to keep to the feeling the artist was trying to convey.

I hope that helps!

Shari
www.flowerswithfeelingscentral.com  Wink

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_133043
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2008, 8:11am

Mindy,

Thanks for the tip!  I think I will go in and change some of them when I get a minute.  I submitted some last night that I did make glossy.  hmmmm  Guess I'll have to order some and see what they look like!  

Shari,

I think I'll take what you said into consideration, and do some of my drawn graphics and digital paintings in Matte....and make my photos in glossy and see what happens!

Hugs to all!

Lisa M

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.