Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Step-Card Ideas (Read 2767 times)
Kerra_131306
artist

Step-Card Ideas
Jan 7th, 2008, 5:22am

Okay, guys---what are some ideas for 'step' family cards?  What do you think?  Is it too much to put something 'step' on the front of the card---or is that weird?  Or is that the 'norm' more so now than ever?  

Are there any 'taboo' words that you don't like?  like is the term 'step-mother' offensive vs. 'step-mom'?

I'd love your feedback---together we can come up with some great new cards!  There's enough ideas and buyers out there for everyone.  Smiley

-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
_132335
artist

Re: Step-Card Ideas
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2008, 5:38am

May I add.
Are there any specific age for stepdaughter and stepson, stepsister and stepbrother?

And should it be written eg Step-Mother, Step Mother or Stepmother, when I looked it up, it said that the names should be together as Stepmother and indicated that as the right word/name, but, there are varities everywhere Smiley
Better have the spelling correct from the beginning Smiley

Big Huggs
/Inge Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2008, 7:17am

Quote from _132335 on Jan 7th, 2008, 5:38am:
May I add.
Are there any specific age for stepdaughter and stepson, stepsister and stepbrother?

And should it be written eg Step-Mother, Step Mother or Stepmother, when I looked it up, it said that the names should be together as Stepmother and indicated that as the right word/name, but, there are varities everywhere Smiley
Better have the spelling correct from the beginning Smiley

Big Huggs
/Inge Smiley

This is a GRAET point---is there etiquette to this?

How about everyone that's a step-parent/child here---which would you prefer?

Step Mom
Stepmom
Step-Mother
Stepmother

etc?

I look forward to your responses!  Smiley
-Kerra

Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2008, 7:24am

I like it when it is all one word.  That is the way I will design.  I think some cars could be Stepmother, some Stepmom, I think it depends on the formality of their individual relationships.

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2008, 12:00pm

I agree Linda.  Although to tell you the truth, as a stepmother my self, I can tell you that I would appreciate any of these titles, any card, any remembrance.  
Somehow, the step parent sometimes gets the short end of the stick, as if it were their fault that the first marriage broke up--even though everyone involved may know that absolutely is not the case.  Still, emotionally stepchildren seem to sometimes blame someone, and who better than the step?
Personally, I would like to see more cards between stepparents and children which bridge the gap.  Something like, 'You couldn't be more awesome if we shared the same DNA!"  
That's just my take on it.
SueB

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2008, 4:19pm

Quote from Sue_132963 on Jan 7th, 2008, 12:00pm:

Personally, I would like to see more cards between stepparents and children which bridge the gap.  Something like, 'You couldn't be more awesome if we shared the same DNA!"  
SueB

Fantastic feedback, Sue!  Thanks so much for your insight--this helps a lot!  Smiley
-Kerra

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2008, 5:47pm

I think I would prefer Stepmom. Personally, if I were buying a card, I wouldn't look for anything that said step period, but not everyone feels that way.  I like the idea of trying to bridge the gap. This is such a common thing anymore, I think a lot of people would just buy a general birthday card in place of one that pointed out any of it. At least that is how it has been in my own family. But there are requests for them obviously.

Email   IP Logged
Sue_132963
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2008, 5:54pm

Quote from Kerra_131306 on Jan 7th, 2008, 4:19pm:
Quote from Sue_132963 on Jan 7th, 2008, 12:00pm:

SueB

Fantastic feedback, Sue!  Thanks so much for your insight--this helps a lot!  Smiley
-Kerra

You are welcome Kerra.  But I am sure there are as many varying opinions as there are different step relationships.  So no matter what route you take, you will probably find a match somewhere, sometime...
Good luck.
SueB

Email   IP Logged
Wendy_132744
artist

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2008, 6:24am

Having been in a step family situation; I always called my Step father "dad".  and never thought of him any other way.
After all he was the one who was there when i needed someone!
if I had recieved a card that read "Happy Birthday Step Daughter" I would have been horrified and offended!
But that's just me!

Email   IP Logged
Tammy_131374
Gold Member
artist

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2008, 6:54am

Wendy
yes I agree- that is how I kind of feel about it. Our family has gone through several situations like this - I come from a very large family- and yes it would have been offensive, but I guess not everyone feels the same way. I have seen step mom cards and other things like that on the shelves at the stores over the years though- so someone must buy them- just not anyone i knew. lol Smiley

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.