You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
feedback (Read 4924 times)
Sally_131793
GCU Newbies
artist

feedback
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:06am

I am looking for some constructive criticism about my cards. I have had more than 500 visits and no sales! Since what I'm doing isnt' working, I need to change something. But what? I realize my art needs some improvement. I am teaching myself to draw and paint, and I am getting to be a better artist. I spend some time looking at the stores of more successful artists, like Corrie Kuipers and Diana (don't know her last name), Cathie Richardson. They have text on nearly every one of their cards. I have text on most of mine. So what should I change about my cards or my store? Constructive criticism would be appreciated. Thanks. Sally

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Re: feedback
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:19am

sally i don't see your store, only bits and pieces of other GCU links and widgets.  where did you find the holiday card promotion banner??  i missed that totally and i would have really promoted it .  

are you sure you have gone into the store management area and set up your store??  i would love to see your cards

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131793
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:32am

Sorry, I changed my web address and it isn't reflected when at the bottom when I post.  

here is the right address: www.greetingcarduniverse.com/bluegreenart

Email   IP Logged
DENISE_132110
Gold Member
artist

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:38am

hey sally  the store is bright and cheery , your cards are fine, the pumpkins are really nice.  you just need to keep adding and adding and adding..  i forgot to check keywords etc. i will go back and do that.  but quantity in the stores seems to help with sales .

you seem to have a lot of key words that apply so i would venture to guess you need to look at making more cards and watch that request for new cards thread.  i have had two sales from those.

Email   IP Logged
Mariana_131409
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:43am

Hi Sally! I'm sure someone with far more experience, like Corrie Smiley, will reply to this, but I'll put in my two cents worth. I get a LOT of visits to my store and it doesn't necessarily equate to sales. Sometimes I make a large sale on a day when been only a few visits to the store, so I wouldn't worry about that. A lot of people may be browsing intending to return later to purchase when they need certain cards.

How long has your store been open? I see that you have only 16 cards up. They're lovely, and I'm sure will sell well eventually, but my advice is to keep creating cards and keep adding to your designs. As far as I can see from my limited time selling online, the more designs you have the better the chances of making sales.

Keep having fun with your art, make lots of designs and keep putting them up there. Be patient, you'll definitely make sales eventually!  

Cheers, Mariana

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:45am

Hi Sally,

First off....you need to make more cards. Your store total at the moment of 16 is not enough to make an impact. There is a lot of competition here at GCU so you need to find your niche to get noticed (and get sales).

You have two b/w photograph cards that I really like. They are quirky. Maybe you can build on that collection more. Try to make at least one card for every category and also try to do cards for categories that don't have a lot of cards.  

Get ahead of the competition  Smiley

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:46am

I to have over 600 hits and no sales...Producing more might be the secret here,I reslly don't know. It just seems to be customer likes...We have as much chance of sales as anybody else.. Its just Hit and Misss I guess...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131793
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:48am

Thanks, everybody. I won't quit, I'll keep adding cards. It's nice to know that other people are in the same boat, and it's good to know I'm not doing anything terribly wrong. Just need to wait...

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131793
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2007, 10:50am

ok, another question for any of you familiar with watercolor. How do I stretch my paper so it doesn't turn out wrinkled? I have a great painting design I'd love to add, but it's wrinkly and won't scan clearly.

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2007, 11:02am

I gave up Watercolouring simply for that reason. Its a hard media to control, but what I would do is Lay a blank watercolor paper,DRY, on top of it and place something heavey on it. This helped..Other artist I spoke to said use a thicker paper next time. Water colour paper can be exspensive.. another technique I never tried was lay a Blank paper on top of your piece and then use a Warm Iron on it. Just like Ironing a shirt or Blouse...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131634
artist

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2007, 11:22am

Hi Sally-

I always tape my watercolor paper securely to a board-all the way around. Then I soak the paper thoroughly and let it dry completely before I begin to paint. The paper has been stretched by this process and you should have no wrinkles. Just keep it taped until you are completely done.  

The other alternative is to use a block of watercolor paper (I think it's called a block). When you're done, you just carefully slice your painting (the top sheet) off the block. I've sliced a finished watercolor with the Xacto knife I was using, so be careful!

I prefer taping a sheet as I can then have several in various stages of completion. And the block pads are expensive.  
Hope this helps!

Pat_131634

Email   IP Logged
Nidia_131491
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2007, 4:55pm

I guess that only that sell postcards are those that have an agreement with conventional card printers. Buy yourself the Writers Market Book, and you will find these companies and their requisites. Study them and send them art they can market. I wish you luck. Keep getting better by stuying   other artists and you will get there.

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2007, 11:24pm

Nidia, if I understand  you correctly, you're saying the only way to make sales is to buy the Writer's Market and submit designs to other card companies? Don't you mean the Artist and Graphic Designer's Market?

But speaking as an artist who is one of the top sellers on GCU, I can tell you that's a mistaken idea. There are a number of artists here who make sales of their GCU cards on a daily or near-daily basis. The advice given to Sally remains valid - if you want to attract customers, be sure to have plenty of designs, and try to find a niche where your cards will stand out.

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2007, 12:58am

Hi All,

I've just picked up this thread. I have been a store owner on GCU since May and have sold just under 100 cards since I started. I don't mind telling you, if it helps. I haven't really had bulk orders, so my sales as 1 here, 1 there and my sales are creeping up, but I'm hardly gonna make my millions here, but I love it! I have to agree with Corrie, keep creating lots of new cards, try to design a card for EACH category then you have a good chance of your card being picked when a customer does a ramdom search for something.
However, I have also just experimented with sending some of my card designs to Uk greeting card publishers with the hope they will like and buy one of my designs. I wrote to two and just at a very nice reply from one saying thank you but no thank you. I will however not give up. I also sent some of my cards direct to bootique gift shops in my local village (very touristy) with my details inside and the web address to CGU. This may or may not work, but I'm giving it a try. Effectively this is 'cold calling' and I will get rejections but I think BOTH methods of selling (CGU and sending work to card companies) will/do work.
Good Luck everyone, there are some really talented artists on here, much better than me, so don't give up!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2007, 11:44am

Hi Sally,
First welcome to GCU!  Good for you to ask for advice, you've come to the right place.  Your peers have some wonderful art, card and GCU advice to share.

A few tips from me...
1. birthdays are year 'round sellers - get specific for different ages and relations
2. invitations are great for multiple card sales
3. holidays - pick a handful and start creating!

Familiarize yourself with all the categories and sub-categories we have.  We're adding new categories daily so take a peek often.  Here's our category map that shows card counts too:  http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/community/dir_map.asp

As Corrie suggests, for starters pick some categories that have a low card count.  We need cards there and you'll have a better chance of standing out.

At a quick glance I see we have no to few cards in these categories:
Announcements >> Adoption >> Boy, Girl, Older Child
Birthday >> Age Specific >> 14, 15, 19
Birthday >> Family >> Cousin, Father-in-Law, Son-in-Law
Birthday >> Sexy (this is a great opportunity, lots of searches & few cards)
Invitations >> Rehearsal Dinner
Invitations >> Wedding Party >> Be my Bestman?, Be my Groomsman?
Invitations >> New Year's Eve  
Holiday >> Christmas >> Babysitter
Holiday >> Christmas >> Family >> ...most of the relations need cards
Holiday >> Christmas >> Missing You
Occasion >> Anniversary >> Year Specific >> most of the years need cards

I'm sure that's plenty to get you started!

Looks like most of your cards have inside verses which is great.  They'll get more exposure than cards w/o inside verses.  Also, your keywords, titles and categorization look good.

Again, welcome and good luck to you!  Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Mindy

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #15 - Nov 9th, 2007, 5:29pm

Sally-

Your paintings are sweet! Listen to the pros, get more cards up there, with different designs. . . I'm one to talk, I've been with GCU since March and only have less than 25 different cards up right now, but I have had regular sales and repeats on certain cards.  I KNOW I'd do much better with more cards.  I, too, am finding my "niche."
I think that adding cards "regularly" is a good thing, too, if you can (a "do as I say not as I do" thing here) but I find when I add new stuff I seem to get a sale. . . maybe not even what I just added.

About your watercolor scan issue:  I've tried putting a folded towel on top of the art and then something heavy like a large book on top.  I do this when scanning collage art (that will fit in the scanner), too.  But for larger pieces, I find photographing them works far better

I think you'll find a lot of good support here at GCU.  It's always going to be competitive, but the staff and the artists all help eachother out here.

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131793
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #16 - Nov 9th, 2007, 7:16pm

Thanks, everybody, and thanks, Mindy. All your suggestions were good, and I've got some ideas already. You will see come MOnday or Tuesday, I will have quite a few more I'm going to upload.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.