Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Coloured envelopes (Read 2026 times)
Catherine_131549
artist

Coloured envelopes
Oct 25th, 2007, 2:30am

Hi,

I was browsing thru my local card shop the other day and thought how nice it was to see different coloured envelopes with the greeting cards. When a bright red, blue, yellow (or whatever) envelope lands on your doorstep you always notice that mail first and open it.  
So, I was wondering, would CGU think about offering coloured envelopes? Maybe only a few options and maybe it could be an option that the customer has to click on and (if you wanted) charge a few cents more for, for that extra touch.

What does everyone else think?

Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Re: Coloured envelopes
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2007, 8:12am

I love your idea for colored envelopes.  I think it would add a touch of class to our cards and to GCU Smiley  You think up good ideas!

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2007, 8:18am

I was thinking (which could be dangerous LOL) but it would be nice to have a selection of soft colored envelopes and brightly colored ones.  Some cards you wouldn't want bright, like sympathy cards or get well.  But like for celebrations, or birthdays one might want brightly colored cards.  Also it would be nice if the font color matched up with the envelope.  Also I think the customer could choose the font color and the envelope.  It's the customer making the purchase and they might really enjoy matching the font up with the envelope Smiley  Just a suggestion! What do you think?

Email   IP Logged
Christie_131341
artist

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2007, 9:48am

Quote from Cara_131386 on Oct 25th, 2007, 8:18am:
 Also I think the customer could choose the font color and the envelope.  It's the customer making the purchase and they might really enjoy matching the font up with the envelope Smiley  Just a suggestion! What do you think?

Hi,
You were probably asking GCU what they think rather than what I think, but I can see some pros and cons with this idea.

I have found sometimes that if you give the customer too many options, it can be intimidating for them. Not to mention, it opens the door for more errors.  (I had already seen a complaint that the font was different than what was chosen, but I never saw if that err came from the artist, customer or GCU side)  I was just thinking there may be complaints coming in that the card was not printed with the color they wanted or they didn't get the envelope they ordered, blah, blah, blah.  

My question to GCU would be...Have many or any customers voiced  their objection to the white envelope or the font colors?  If not, it may not be time to stir the pot just yet, so to speak.  

But guess what...I don't work in the complaints department, so if it is something GCU wants to or can take on, I am all for it!  I like choices, but remember we have creative minds.  Some people would have a hard time making that choice and others could care less what the colors are. For that same reason,  there are people that prefer to buy the cards with the inside verse because they wouldn't know what to write on a blank card.  After all, if they were creative they wouldn't have to buy our cards they could make their own. I very rarely buy cards anymore.

I surely don't mean to burst any bubbles, it sounds great to me, I guess we will have to see what GCU says.

Christie

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2007, 10:08am

Christie brings up some very good points.  I know exactly what she is talking about.  Its true that the more choices you offer, it does open the door to errs and returns.  Hmmm.  Well how about us customizing the color fonts and envelope colors, and then have a button where the customer could override our selections and put their own custom colors.  So, that way we have the control but only for the buyers that don't want those choices.  The ones that want choices can have them.  

It's great to bat around ideas, that is what this forum is all about.  I say whatever works and I want everyone to be happy. Smiley  Cheers! Wink

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2007, 11:31am

Hi all....interesting idea   Roll Eyes

To my knowledge we have not had shoppers request colored envelopes nor complain about the standard white ones.  Also it is not an option that our printing partner offers.

Just think of the complexities this would introduce at the point of printing and mailing which is fairly automated.  They'd have to either hand pick the right envelope per order or add an automated process to pick the right envelope and join it with the right card.  Yikes!  With thousands of cards a day I don't even want to think about the extra time, cost and potential errors that would introduce.  Shocked

Also, as Christie touches on, the main concern is offering too many options to shoppers.  Certainly the number of decisions and tangents you ask a shopper to make the slower their path to their ultimate destination (and ours), checkout.

Online businesses are so sensitive to the straying of shoppers' attention.  If things aren't clear, quick and easy we're always one click away from losing them.  The more we ask them to do before checkout, the more we risk that they'll abandon their cart.  

How many times have you put something in your cart online and clicked away deciding not to purchase it?  I've done it many times.

Now how many times have you filled you shopping cart at the store and simply left?  Not too many times.  

Certainly there's a "mother knows" best approach where you give shoppers options but default these options to the choice that you think most will choose and be happy with.  We've recently done that with our Card Finish option.  Artists' can set the finish for their cards and that sets the default on a card by card basis.  But during checkout the shopper can change that if they like.

Re: font colors.  No notable shopper complaints on that front either.

So a lovely idea, but unfortunately not feasible.  Sorry  cry

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2007, 12:34pm

Thanks for your reply, Mindy!  I don't profess to know the ins and outs of the greeting card business by any means.  That is why I said that I was thinking and that could be dangerous!!!  Sounded like a nice idea to me.  Better luck next time, Catherine!   Wink

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2007, 6:04am

Yeah, thanks for getting back to us Mindy.

Thanks Cara. As long as we are still thinking up ideas but there is someone to steer us in the right direction, we can't go wrong! Wink

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2007, 8:04am

I know that the customer has the option of choosing mat or glossy during their purchase....even that seems to be another check that may be discouraging to the buyer....

Perhaps just having the card creator make these decisions would be best?  After all, I don't think I've ever not bought a card because it wasn't shiny enough....

But I have done the 'forget it' and leave my online cart if the process to check out or choose takes too long.

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2007, 4:15pm

Quote from Kerra_131306 on Oct 26th, 2007, 8:04am:
I know that the customer has the option of choosing mat or glossy during their purchase....even that seems to be another check that may be discouraging to the buyer....

Perhaps just having the card creator make these decisions would be best?  After all, I don't think I've ever not bought a card because it wasn't shiny enough....

But I have done the 'forget it' and leave my online cart if the process to check out or choose takes too long.

Thread in support of giving shoppers the option to change card finish:  

http://forum.greetingcarduniverse.com/forum/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1190819026/5#5

I suspect most shoppers don't even see this option unless they're looking for it.  It's on the page where they can add text to personalize their card.  Probably a quicker decision to choose glossy or matte vs choose an envelope color (hmm, sky blue, navy blue, cyan, rose, etc.).

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2007, 8:08am

I understand that the options from the printing company are limited for simplicity to 'white' envelopes at this time...

How about if we---the seller--chose a color-evelope color instead of having the customer choose in the future?

I have to say that color does catch one's eye and brighten up the sender's message.

Just a thought for the future if paper color options change.
Smiley
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.