Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

How risque is too risque? (Read 3374 times)
Olivia_132226
artist

How risque is too risque?
Sep 27th, 2007, 4:26pm

Hi,

Can someone tell me if we can put up designs that are just a bit risque?  Nothing bad just like putting the word NERD or something on the front?  I don't want to do anything wrong Smiley

Olivia

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Re: How risque is too risque?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2007, 5:01pm

I believe Risque would reffer to a Sexual nature..A Nude Photo would be Risque. A Nerd would be more of a PC or Politically Correct Nature. Nerd is fine as long as you don't specify..Ex: Mexican Nerd, Black Nerd....etc.. See what I mean...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2007, 5:08pm

Yep, good response.

In good taste of course, but there's certainly a market for quirky, humorous, off color, etc.

We certainly draw the line with anything considered offensive - nudity, racist, discriminatory...  If we deem it so it will be rejected, that's all.  No harm, no foul.

Thanks for checking!

Email   IP Logged
Olivia_132226
artist

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2007, 7:05pm

Yes of course, a poor choice of words on my part - sorry about that.  I wouldn't want to create anything offensive, just fun.  Thanks so much for helping me with this.

Phrank I know you didn't ask but.....your  "Sorry I Missed Our Date..." and "Lets have a big Wedding..." are just too much fun!  Also I think your "On the Nineth Hour" is beautiful.  

Olivia

Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2007, 8:09pm

SmileyWell Thank You Olivia!.. Much Appreciated. I haven't had time (as usual) to get to your site but I plan to first cup of coffee tomarrow morning.. Thanks again and feel free to write and ask questions anytime...captphrank

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2007, 3:12am

Good question to clear up, Phrank.  I'd love to know--how did you find yourself creating greeting cards?  Have you always been creating?  Smiley
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2007, 8:02am

Wink Hi Kerra.. Yes I'm the family artist. People usually call me when they need a Bathroom or Kitchen painted,,LOL.. Ihave always been drawing or painting. I started when I was about 8.,On Fridays when I was in school, the Teacher would let us draw something on our folders we took home each week. I always seemed to have a line at my desk with kids asking me to draw something on their folders...I have a degree in color and design. I'm a retired Graphic Artist. I used to paint Murals for electronics companys here in Silicone Valley. Needless to say my 300-400 foot wall space has shrunk down to the size of a greeting card, and I don't need a latter...LOL...but I'm enjoying the creativity just the same...capt.

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131906
artist

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2007, 9:50am

nice to hear about the artists....thanks for sharing!!!

Cheers,
Diana

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2007, 4:50pm

This gets back to the "how risque...." question.  I noticed a card on the site that has what I think many people would consider "foul language" in the copy on the front of the card.  Granted it was used in a humorous manner. . . but still.  I personally wasn't offended by the card. . . heard it all before (that exact joke, actually), but is GCU the place for that kind of humor?  What's the stand on wording (outside of copyright issues) that is used on cards?
-E

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2007, 11:39am

Quote from Ernestine_131365 on Sep 29th, 2007, 4:50pm:
This gets back to the "how risque...." question.  I noticed a card on the site that has what I think many people would consider "foul language" in the copy on the front of the card.  Granted it was used in a humorous manner. . . but still.  I personally wasn't offended by the card. . . heard it all before (that exact joke, actually), but is GCU the place for that kind of humor?  What's the stand on wording (outside of copyright issues) that is used on cards?
-E

Hi Ernestine,
It's pretty subjective and trust me our card review staff belabors over it.  We put a lot of thought to each card during review as far as good taste and appropriateness goes.

As for "foul language", it really depends on the card and how the nasty, little four letter word is used.  Is it in context?  Is it funny?  Does it add to the message?  But probably the most important question, Is if offensive?

They may not be your cup of tea (or mine) but as long as they don't offend you we're ok.

Thoughts?

Mindy

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2007, 5:35pm

Mindy-
Thanks for getting back on that "risque" language issue.  I think I was was being just a little over sensitive that day because of other things.  I'm really not a "fuddy-duddy!"  I've bought cards myself (in pre-GCU days) that had similar language.
I'd just had my first card rejected   Sad (for reasons I fully understand. . . I've worked in publishing and should have realized that the quote and movie reference I used wouldn't fly.)  I'm glad you DO review cards carefully for this reason.  Being a collage artist I always have to be watchful of the separate images I "collage in" and make sure that they are "Public Domain" or my own illustration.  Also what works (legally) in an individual hand made card that is sold and one that is mass printed and sold can be quite different.  I even have to be careful about using snippets of my OWN illustrations that were previously published under another companiy's copyright!

I've gone on long enough!  Keep up the great work!
-E

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.