Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Copyright symbol incorrect (Read 1497 times)
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Copyright symbol incorrect
Sep 20th, 2007, 4:09pm

Help!  Something very strange is happening to my copyright symbol on some of my cards.  I noticed this for the first time today, but I really don't look at this part of the card every day, so I do not know how long this may have been happening.  When I load my cards, I use the copyright symbol before my name in the image by field.  Everything looks fine in my manage cards section, but when I go to look at a card in its category, Image by shows a question mark in a diamond by some of the images.  
A very interesting example is product id 89945, which is in slumber party and the pajama party category (invitations--party by theme).  It shows the correct copyright symbol in one category and the diamond with a question mark in the other category.
This is really strange.  Can I no longer use the copyright symbol in the image by field?

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Re: Copyright symbol incorrect
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2007, 11:16am

Okay, I am baffled.  I was trying to remove the copyright symbol from my cards, but had no luck.  There is no option in the Global preferences for doing this for existing cards.  I tried to do them one at a time and had no luck either.  When I try to do this from the manage cards section, I get the Image by and it shows a copyright by my name, but when I try to edit it there is no copyright by my name, so just for fun I decided to retype my name to see if that will remove the copyright symbol from the manage cards image by page.  When I hit save the changes, I get internet explorer cannot display webpage.  However, it did look like a change may have been made.  Regardless, I decided to stop doing this because I was not quite sure what was happening.  Decided to go on to something else, like change a picture out.  Did everything I have done before to change out a picture and the picture looked like it stayed the same on the manage cards page, but when I went to look at it, it was the new picture and the old picture on GCU.  The old picture is on the card page, but when I put my mouse on the picture I get my new card picture and when I click on it I get the new card picture.  I had the same Internet explorer cannot display webpage problem when trying to update, so ....  I am just confused.  Is something strange going on at my end or at the GCU end?   I have done all of these things before without any problems.
Thanaks for any help.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2007, 12:07pm

Hi Kathy,

Sorry for the confusion.  At the present time, we actually don't recommend adding special characters like copyright symbols to the "Image By:" field.  The special characters behave differently when displayed in different parts of the site.  

For example, the copyright symbol is correctly displayed on the front of your cards, however on the various site pages and in your store, the copyright symbol might not be recognized, and can show up as a "?" in the "Image By:" area.

We'll need to make changes to the site to accept these types of special characters.  We've added this to our "wish list", and will let you know when this change has been made.  

We will go ahead and remove the copyright symbol from your existing cards.

We're also currently investigating the issues that you described in your second post.  I'll follow up to let you know if we are experiencing anything out of the ordinary on our end.    

Shaun      

Email   IP Logged
candace_131548
artist

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2007, 8:08pm

Hi Shaun,

I am having the same "Image By:" copyright difficulty as Kathy was. Could you pls fix it?  Some are the correct symbol and some are � graphicdoodles or the triangle/?.  

On another topic: The Forum on the top right of the screen has not been working but  the other on the bottom left does, just fyi (at least for me!)

Candy

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2007, 7:27am

Hi Shaun,
Just wanted to let you know that those problems I was experiencing yesterday seem to be okay today, as my updates all seem to be correct today.  
As for the copyright symbol, this morning I noticed that they are all okay in my store too.  Did ya'll do something to fix this problem?  Just wondering what I should do on cards for the future and if you were planning to still remove all my copyright symbols?
Thanks. Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2007, 5:52pm

Kathy and Candace,

We've removed the copyright symbols from the "Image By:" field for all of your cards.  

Please note that if the symbol was included on the front of the greeting card, it will remain until you make changes and save the card.  At that point the image will be re-rendered and will display the text in the "Image By:" field.  

The copyright symbol will print correctly if it is included on the front of the card, but it won't be displayed correctly on your store pages and on the various site pages.

For future cards, please use only plain text in the Image By: field.  If you have any questions, please let us know.  

Shaun

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131887
Gold Member
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2007, 8:49pm

I'm also having problems with the copyright symbol. So can you clarify: Can we use the symbol on the front of the card as the credit by line or not? I would like to use it. Legally it's important. Otherwise I suppose I could have a statement on the storefront stating that all my design are copyright by .... but it isn't as good as actually being on the card front itself.

Email   IP Logged
Kathy_131728
Gold Member
artist

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2007, 11:16am

Thanks Shaun.  I have changed my new cards to always just show my name.

Email   IP Logged
Shaun_131054
GCU Administrator
artist

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2007, 11:54am

Quote from _131887 on Sep 24th, 2007, 8:49pm:
I'm also having problems with the copyright symbol. So can you clarify: Can we use the symbol on the front of the card as the credit by line or not? I would like to use it. Legally it's important. Otherwise I suppose I could have a statement on the storefront stating that all my design are copyright by .... but it isn't as good as actually being on the card front itself.

Hi Diana,
The site cannot correctly display the copyright symbol, so we do ask that you refrain from using it in the "Image By:" field.  

We will go ahead and remove the copyright symbol from the "Image By:" field in your existing cards, as it's displayed as a "?" or other strange characters at times.  

An alternative for your new cards would be to add your own copyright text before uploading your image to the site.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Shaun

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.