Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Ready To Give Up.......... (Read 2174 times)
Lynda_131938
GCU Newbies
artist

Ready To Give Up..........
Sep 9th, 2007, 2:20pm

What a nightmare I'm having......with this dpi stuff. I know my resolutions are fine as I've had my photos easily printed up in 10 x 8 and looking great. Mine are all 72dpi.
I've tried and tried changing them but it makes them HUGE and my system won't save them.
The sizes you require I have but can't get this dpi thing fixed, so could you explain how I delete my new store, please ?

Thanks so much.....I just haven't the patience....
Cheers,
Lynda~

Email   IP Logged
Diana_131906
artist

Re: Ready To Give Up..........
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2007, 2:53pm

Hi Lynda,

in photo editing software you can look at the image properties and make changes...Once you change the DPI to 300 you also have to change the image size...I think in most applications this is in inches....

Let me know if it works out!

Don't give up!!!

Cheers,
Diana

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2007, 5:53pm

You sound pretty frustrated embarrassed
it might help if you say which program you are using...

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/ebdesigns

Email   IP Logged
LD_131511
artist

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2007, 9:41pm

What I like to do is this:
If you have a program like Photoshop or Paintshop pro, you first open up the pic then cut it out. Second, change the size of the now blank area to 300 dpi and then paste the original image back. Then you just crop down to the original pic.

But that's just my method.
It's a few steps but for me it's easy...

~L~

Email   IP Logged
Lynda_131938
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2007, 11:22pm

I'm using Picture It Photo. LD's method sounded easy so I tried that...and it's just locked all my computer up when it comes to trying to save a new version that way.
When I changed both size and dpi last night it will not let me save it like that. No idea why. It seems a very longwinded way to submit a photo, too. Like I say I've never had to do all this on any other website I'm adding pictures to for printing !!
But thanks for trying to help me...I had hoped after a night's sleep it would just do it for me but it's not to be !!!

Love Lynda XX cry

Email   IP Logged
El_131850
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2007, 11:35pm

Hey Lynda....
There's a SUPER EASY program to change resolution size...
it's called PAINT.NET  (download this program FOR totally FREE).
I use SEVERAL different Graphics Programs, but this is the only one I use to re-size pictures to fit the correct Resolutions for GCU.

Download PAINT.NET, and when you have your pic in there you want to re-size...
just go to....IMAGE, then RESIZE...and it states the resolution right there...it starts with 96, and just change it to 300 (or whatever) save the pic as a JPEG...and  
well-A!!

SUPER EASY

Hope that helped!

EL
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/monkeyartz

Email   IP Logged
Lynda_131938
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2007, 4:09am

Thankyou EL. I have downloaded that and now I'm downloading something else I'm supposed to have called Net Framework...fingers crossed......

Cheers,
Lynda~ Huh

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_132015
artist

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2007, 7:04am

Go to the top of Paint shop Pro where the grey bar is and click on Image and then go down the list and click on resize then a window pops open on the top right side. Go click on the bottom inside bar and click backspace button and click in 300 for your dpi. Then go the Print size clear the space and click in 7 for Width and 5 for Height or the other way around pending which way your card is  and under Pixel Dimensions of Width and Height put in 100 that is the percent. Go back to the left side of the screen and click on the dotted rectangluar thingy and click the top one that looks like it and then hold the mouse down and drag the dotted lined box over your picture or drawing and let it go to 1500 x 2100 at the bottm right of your screen that you'll see it. When you have 1500 x 2100 then go back to the left top corner and click file and under it go to Save As and click on it. Don't forget to name the card to where ever you file to and make sure it's in JEPG or any jeg you have to set it up in. That should do it Smiley Wink Cool. That's how I do mine as I have Paint Shop Pro 9 Wink Smiley Cool. I know it's a tad long winded, but that's how I know to do it Smiley. It works for me Wink.http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/firebirdscardstore

Email   IP Logged
Lynda_131938
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2007, 8:25am

Thanks everyone....I've gota few done at last but I can't get over how longwinded a process it is.....let's hope it was worth it !! Hehehe......I'll leave the rest for when I've got a couple of free hours to play around !!

Cheers,
Lynda~  Huh

Email   IP Logged
LD_131511
artist

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2007, 3:52pm

Sorry my method didn't work for you.
I like to do it that way as I mentioned because if you open up the pic and just change it to 300 dpi right off the dot, it makes the image blurry and pixelated. If you set up the size then paste in the pic sometimes that makes all the difference.

Then you just crop and resize as necessary.
Depending on the project I will save an image from 800 x 600 pixels to as large as 2500 x 1140 pixels. Depends on what the project calls for.

You aren't working with Win98 still are you?
Some of the older computers don't like large files.

Hope you find a solution. Cheesy

~L~

Email   IP Logged
Lynda_131938
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2007, 11:06pm

No I'm on XP...I have no idea why it didn't like it so much. Thankyou all for the explanations !

Love Lynda XX  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Tamara_132150
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2007, 6:36am

I get around all of this by scanning the art in at 300 dpi. Once in Photoshop I can change the dpi, the actual size of the image, save it as anything I want. This gives me a great deal of flexability with how I want to use my files.  

BTW, I print giclee prints professionally and would never print one from a file that is only 72 dpi, but then I can print an image up to 44 inches wide when scanned at 300 dpi.

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.