Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 
Just curious-artists who's art is drawn vs photos (Read 7446 times)
Picture_131439
artist

Just curious-artists who's art is drawn vs photos
Jul 30th, 2007, 8:21am

I'm just curious how you draw your stuff-do you draw it on paper than scan it, or draw it on your computer somehow?  I can barely draw a stick figure, so it's not something I'd ever had experiance with, but I'm just curious.  The closest I get is to use filters to convert photographs so they look like paintings, etc....

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Re: Just curious-artists who's art is drawn vs pho
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2007, 9:12am

Hi there  Smiley

I draw all my material the old fashioned way (by hand on a piece of paper).  
The black & white drawing gets scanned into the computer where I clean it up and add color to it (I use photoshop for that).

That's really all there is to it.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/corrieweb
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Christie_131341
artist

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2007, 10:21am

I, too, draw the old fashioned way.  I usually color them the old fashioned way, too.
Then of course, I scan them, fix anything I need to fix and add any text.  
Fun, fun, fun!

Christie
www.greetingcarduniverse.com/christieblack  
www.creations-heart.com

Email   IP Logged
Lynne_131303
artist

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2007, 7:25pm

Good question! I've been a graphic designer for many years (package design), and I'm a fine artist/illustrator as well. Many of my concepts are Cool fine art (pastel) which I then photograph with my digital camera and finesse in Photoshop; some are scanned in drawings manipulated in Pshop; some are created in Illustrator entirely; some are my own photographs; and several are combinations of all of those methods. I just wish I had more time to devote to this endeavor!

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2007, 8:20am

Hi,

Just read this thread so thought i would add my comment. I do all three: photography, hand-drawn and computer drawn. Most of what is in my store is computer drawn with a tablet and pen (I can't use a mouse anymore it feels weird!) in either Illustrator or photoshop. This is how I design for my job.
However, I have a lot of photos that I have taken during holidays, business trips, etc that I have used for cards, placing the photos in different fomats, colours, etc, then I have just a few hand-drawn images I have scanned and put in my store.

The hand-drawn cards by artists are truely amazing - way better than my stuff!  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Jamie_131288
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:44am

I draw my stuff old skool then scan in Photoshop.

Email   IP Logged
Mariana_131409
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:59pm

Most of my work is drawn the old-fashioned way, mainly using colored pencil on paper ... then scanned in and cleaned up or fixed. I've done a couple of cards digitally straight on the screen too but they're pretty simple abstract stuff as opposed to my drawings. My contributor/partner does all her work digitally in Illustrator and it's far faster!

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/floatinglemons
http://mrana.typepad.com/bitbybit/

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2007, 8:23pm

I use anything that gets me a result Grin
mostly hand drawn, coloured in PS.
A few I have painted, some I have created entirely with xara or illustrator or PS.
Occassionally I even get a good photo, but really whatever works!!!

Email   IP Logged
Lisa_131794
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2007, 1:47am

Oh this is fun...interesting to see how you all work
I paint on canvas with acrylics and then have my work photographed and edited if necessary in photoshop.  best wishes to you all!  Smiley

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LisaLorenz”

Email   IP Logged
Picture_131439
artist

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2007, 1:57pm

Interesting-thanks for the replies!  I always wondered if anyone drew much on a tablet or with a mouse.  Even with my limited art abilities (and no tablet!)I was having a hard time imagining the intricate designs I see being created digitally.  I guess it's also a matter of what you're used to-I know people that still shoot film vs digital.  In fact, I tried to use my old point and shoot camera recently and had a hard time, since I had gotten used to looking through the eye piece again on my DSLR.

Email   IP Logged
El_131850
artist

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2007, 8:03am

I paint with acrylics on canvas..and Also draw with a mouse in MS PAINT.  and use paint.net to make the images "fit" for uploads.  Archaic methods, but they work great!  I'm having way too much fun with GCU, and making "cartoon" art.  
I haven't tried photographs yet, but will try that later.  
Soooo many talented artists on GCU!! it's impressive.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/monkeyartz

Email   IP Logged
Cathie_131660
artist

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2007, 9:34am

hi all.  i draw and/or paint all of mine then scan them in. i haven't tried any of the computer methods, like the feel of pencil/brush/paper. i do a lot of my designing and such outside, love nature!   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Valarie_131500
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2007, 1:23pm

all the images in my shop are hand drawn on canvas or watercolor paper, then painted with acyrlics or watercolor... then I scan them in, depending on the size, this could be one scan or 6 scans and then puzzle pieced together in photoshop

the most I've done with photoshop is color adjustments of the scans to get as close the original painting and piecing the scans together.

Email   IP Logged
Madan_131795
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2007, 8:08pm

Well, let's see:
1. Watercolor on paper, scanned and modified in CorelDRAW.
2. Acrylics on canvas, photographed and modified in CorelDRAW.
3. Original drawings in CorelDRAW.

I use both a mouse and a tablet, depending on the effect desired.

I have also tried PaintX from Corel. The result was okay, but I did not like the loss of tactile feel compared to brush on canvas or paper.

MJ
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/millennium3designs  

Email   IP Logged
Leslie_131747
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 1:46pm

Well, I draw and watercolor mine, and then scan them in. I do intend to add some photos but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Cheesy

Leslie
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/watercolorwashes
http://lesliebrasher.blogspot.com/

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_132015
artist

Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2007, 11:10am

I draw in coloring pencil and use a digital camera, I've made some animated toons and might put one or more up soon. This is my first week and hope Halloween and Christmas cards sell. I try to put some drawings up or photos or both each day. I've looked at a few artist here and they have really great cards. I like to draw cute stuff and people keep telling me to do greeting cards for them. Soooooo. Here I am Smiley. My storefront is at :           http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/firebirdscardstore  

Email   IP Logged
Ellie_132541
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:55am

Hi!!

I hand paint all of mine, with acrylic paint.  Most are cards that I either sell the original of, or use for my own mailings.  A few of the images I have were originally small paintings.

After I paint and spray mine, I scan them at 300 dpi, and save them to my picture folder, on the computer.  From there, of course, I can load the images directly here.

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_132015
artist

Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2007, 2:58pm

That's nice. I draw and use coloring pencils and computer colorize meny of my drawings and or just scan them in. I also take pictures. Though, I can't seem to get my pictures to go at 300 DPI and have not got anyone to help the last 2 days to figure what's making that not work as it used to work well before. Why you might ask? Cuss they are trying to help and I still can't seem to get them up. I'm making dinner now and have to let them try to figure something new for me to try. So I'm at a stand still for now. I'm 47 years old, not young. Should I give up? Hmmm. Still waiting.

Email   IP Logged
Hilly_132655
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2007, 12:53am

I´m a new kid on the block, so hallo to all first of all.

I am using scans from photos of the oilpaintings, watercolors, drawings and airbrush art me and my DH have produced in the last 30 odd years. Plus digital art, mostly "leftovers" from designing for t-shirts, which is my domain (hubby is useless with a PC  Wink)

Email   IP Logged
patri_132891
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2007, 10:43am

There are many "vector" tools in Photoshop to use for designing illustrations and "hand drawn" objects. Separate object and then be combined and also re-sized on your digital illus board. Some of these vecor tools are the "shapes" tool, the "pen" tool and any brush. Many of the coolest brushes are "hidden" in the alternate palettes and you've got to dig them out to use. Vector illustrations are smooth, continuous lines. They can be enlarged and transformed (using the "transform" tool)- meaning you can reshape the object. Scanned drawings and artwork are different. The image is a bitmap image made by a mosaic of different color or black and white pixels. Scanned artwork is often kinda dirty and smudged as scanner pick up the paper texture and stuff. Tablet created illustrations are also bitmapped, but they are cleaner without noisy artifacts in the background.

Then, my particular area of expertise is using FONTS and type as graphic elements.  

In Photoshop you can add color and "paint" with translucency using a brush. It takes a bit of practice but you can finess your input to look like a "real" watercolor, pastel or oil painting. Another program to use is Corel Painter. A really good digital painter is a lady named Catherine. Google: "Cat Bounds" and you will find her web gallery.

I encourage all traditional artists to take the time to explore the digital canvas. Unfortunately there isn't all that much in the form of publications for "advanced" artists- a manual and how-to books...think of your computer as another paint brush!

Email   IP Logged
Yassine_132473
artist

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2007, 3:23am

Hi everybody,  Smiley

I do all : photography (altered or not with Photoshop), hand-drawn (with a black pen, then scanned), and computer-drawn (I use a mouse in either Illustrator or Photoshop).  

I wonder if I'm the only french on GCU Cheesy but I love this idea to be among north americans and english too ! May be one day I'll be american... but it's not the subject, sorry  Grin

Ya

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/yagraphiccardstore
http://www.ya-graphic.com
http://ya-graphic.blogspot.com

Greeting cards made by ya-graphic:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/yagraphic
Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2007, 4:51am

I use the computer to create all of the images I use for the cards.  I only have photoshop for a graphics program but would love to have illustrator for the vector program...maybe soon.  I am just beginning to appreciate all that I can do with photoshop.  I am very new at this, learning a little every day.  I am not very computer savvy and when something goes right am in awe.  I used to draw the conventional ways, but since I do not have a printer/scanner that is not an option for me at this point for this venue.

By the way...anyone getting sales?  I haven't had anything since before Christmas.  I did love that 75 card bulk sale of a New Year design though...that was a rush...I WANT MORE!!! lol.

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2007, 8:49pm

I use it all!  I draw and paint then photograph and/or scan into computer where I may  adjust slightly in PS or just use as a starting point.  Or I may draw with my tablet, print and draw and color by hand, or vice versa: draw by hand and colorize in PS.  I use Illustrator and "Painter", too.  

I have the most fun with "collage" imaging.  Here I incorporate all different methods as well as putting 3D objects right on the scanner; digital and scanned photos (old and new), original drawing, cut and paste, transfers. . . you name it.  I'm constantly testing new techniques and some of my best work has come from "accidents."

Looking forward to doing more photo "set-up" work with the new digital camera my son gave me for Christmas!  Isn't GCU great for seeing such varied art work all in one place?

-E(g)

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #23 - Jan 1st, 2008, 4:15am

Quote from Catherine_131549 on Aug 1st, 2007, 8:20am:
Hi,

Just read this thread so thought i would add my comment. I do all three: photography, hand-drawn and computer drawn. Most of what is in my store is computer drawn with a tablet and pen (I can't use a mouse anymore it feels weird!) in either Illustrator or photoshop. This is how I design for my job.
However, I have a lot of photos that I have taken during holidays, business trips, etc that I have used for cards, placing the photos in different fomats, colours, etc, then I have just a few hand-drawn images I have scanned and put in my store.

The hand-drawn cards by artists are truely amazing - way better than my stuff!  Smiley

I'd love to know what type of tablet and pen you are using---any suggestions as to which is better than others?  I've been working in the fine arts all my life--and LOVE the options digital rendering can give--mind boggling with the limitlessness, (is that a word?)

Thanks! Smiley
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
Linda_132742
Gold Member
artist

Reply #24 - Jan 1st, 2008, 4:39am

I use a Wacom graphire tablet.  I would like it if the "drawing space" was bigger, mine is 3.5x5" and I find I run out of workable area with "brush strokes" often if I'm not careful.  I like it though, I can't imagine drawing with a mouse.  A friend of mine purchased one on ebay for @ $45.00 recently.  It took me a while to get used to it but now I'd be lost without it.  All of my designs are done in photoshop, I am hoping to get illustrator at some point.  I much prefer vector drawings for most of what I do.  Just wish that graphic programs weren't so darn expensive....well I guess that is why we make the big bucks, right?  lol

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #25 - Jan 1st, 2008, 5:13am

Quote from Leslie_131747 on Sep 3rd, 2007, 1:46pm:
Well, I draw and watercolor mine, and then scan them in. I do intend to add some photos but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Cheesy

Leslie
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/watercolorwashes
http://lesliebrasher.blogspot.com/

Hi, Leslie!  I draw and use watercolor, too.  I've heard that people have been scanning their images---I think I'll try that, too.  I've been photographing my images and then resizing in paint shop pro.  How are your sales going?
Smiley
-Kerra

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #26 - Jan 1st, 2008, 5:15am

Quote from Linda_132742 on Jan 1st, 2008, 4:39am:
I use a Wacom graphire tablet.  I would like it if the "drawing space" was bigger, mine is 3.5x5" and I find I run out of workable area with "brush strokes" often if I'm not careful.  I like it though, I can't imagine drawing with a mouse.  A friend of mine purchased one on ebay for @ $45.00 recently.  It took me a while to get used to it but now I'd be lost without it.  All of my designs are done in photoshop, I am hoping to get illustrator at some point.  I much prefer vector drawings for most of what I do.  Just wish that graphic programs weren't so darn expensive....well I guess that is why we make the big bucks, right?  lol

thanks, Linda--I think I'll check out ebay myself and see what's up this week--I'd LOVE to get my hands on one!

I appreciate the info!
Smiley
-Kerra

Email   IP Logged
Hilly_132655
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #27 - Jan 1st, 2008, 7:57am

Quote from Yassine_132473 on Dec 27th, 2007, 3:23am:

I wonder if I'm the only french on GCU Cheesy but I love this idea to be among north americans and english too ! May be one day I'll be american... but it's not the subject, sorry Grin

off topic: You´re not alone among Americans and English - I´m German. (Although having been married to an Englishman for nearly 38 yrs and having lived on the island for some time before moving back to Germany I consider myself more a "European"  Wink)

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #28 - Jan 1st, 2008, 9:39am

Quote from Linda_132742 on Jan 1st, 2008, 4:39am:
I use a Wacom graphire tablet. I would like it if the "drawing space" was bigger, mine is 3.5x5" and I find I run out of workable area with "brush strokes" often if I'm not careful. I like it though, I can't imagine drawing with a mouse. A friend of mine purchased one on ebay for @ $45.00 recently. It took me a while to get used to it but now I'd be lost without it. All of my designs are done in photoshop, I am hoping to get illustrator at some point. I much prefer vector drawings for most of what I do. Just wish that graphic programs weren't so darn expensive....well I guess that is why we make the big bucks, right? lol

My ANCIENT Wacom tablet has a 6.5 X 9 drawing area, which works fine for me when I use it (mostly for tracing and creating abstract backgrounds.) I prefer to sketch with a traditional pencil or pen, though.  

I hear you about the cost of graphics programs.  Actually the PS 7.0, Illustrator 9, and Quark 5 that I use are all from upgrades (bought cheap on e-bay) from the original PS 3.5, Illustrator 4, and Quark 3.5 that I installed on my Mac 12 years ago when I bought the Beige dinosaur.  Luckily with maximum RAM.  Besides that, 4 years ago I put in a new 60GB hard drive (a couple of hundred on ebay) then in 2006 partitioned it so I could install OSX, installed a USB card (again, ebay) so I could attach USB stuff.   I'm by no means a "techie," I'm an artist, but I believe in "knowing your tools," and I suppose my Yankee sensibility says, "If if ain't broke, don't fix it. . .upgrade!"  (And DSL coming to my neck of the woods has certainly helped!)

Granted there were some "hair-tearing-out" moments.  (back-up, back-up, backup!) Sure there are bells and whistles in the CS suite that I can't take advantage of, but I don't do movies and fancy web stuff, that's not what I DO.  I'll leave that to the the next gen.

-Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
JOHN_132910
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #29 - Jan 13th, 2008, 4:32am

I am an artist from the UK, all of my art is produced by hand using graphite and colored pencils, some of the automobile art pieces can take up to 48 hours.
I really love drawing the classic 50s and 60s Americam cars like the Chevy and the Cadillac with all that amazing chrome. I scan all my work to Photoshop.
I sell prints of my work through my website:
http://motornstuffart.co.uk/index.htm

Email   IP Logged
Edition_132952
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #30 - Jan 17th, 2008, 1:44am

Hello,
I work oldfashioned by hand and then get the digital image by scan or photograph. My monotype prints are 100% handwork I even do not use a printing press. For the majority of my work I use my own sketches done from live or on site.

www.squidoo.com/editionH  - About monotype prints
www.edition-handdruck.de - My main blogsite
www.edition-handdruck.de/piranesi/piranesi.html - The Piranesi project
www.stadtlandschaft-stuttgart.net - A project on urban landscape

Edition Handdruck - Card Store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/editionH
Email   IP Logged
Wendy_132744
artist

Reply #31 - Jan 17th, 2008, 4:51am

Some cards are just classic coloured pencil
Others are drawn using a free download called paint.net which does alot of the things that paintshop does - but free!
There are one or two photos in there but it's mostly drawings.

Nobody says you have to draw well anyway!  Tha cartoon figures are the most fun!

Email   IP Logged
Sally_131513
artist

Reply #32 - Jan 18th, 2008, 5:01pm

All of my black and white animal drawings are done in pencil left handed and then scanned to create a card.  The  color designs are done with PS right handed. (lots of work).  All in all very fun and i do enjoy it.    

Sally

Email   IP Logged
Lilia_133128
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #33 - Jan 24th, 2008, 2:11pm

hello I am in Dallas and today it is a little cold out here...So anyway I begin my paintings by first drawing thme with pencil...I then go back and go over with black marker and then finaly put acrylic paint to the work...I just love painting.....
Blessings to all Artist out there....
Lilia Estrada

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.