Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 3 
New - Image Re-use & Card Approvals (Read 9939 times)
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

New - Image Re-use & Card Approvals
Jun 28th, 2007, 4:50pm

As we reach a greater number of cards (10,100+ today!) we are stepping back to review how to best organize and manage cards, from the shoppers perspective.

One great trick for artists has been the ability to use the same image with different text to create multiple cards.  However we're noticing that some category pages are dominated by near identical image cards.  

We'd like to limit the use of the same image to perhaps 3 times.  The text on the front of the card should differentiate it from another with the same image.  Ideally the image itself should be appropriate and specific to the occasion, gender and age as well.

Birthdays by name and by age are a bit of an exception.  For example, the same image appropriate for a young boy may be used for ages 7 - 10, while a different image appropriate for a teen boy may be used for ages 13 - 19.  The shopper in these categories will typically go right to the age or name they want and not have to shop through all of the multiple similar images.  However again, ideally the same image would not be appropriate for all ages.

Our card approval process will begin to use these guidelines.  So think more specific and sparingly about reusing your images.  Think like a shopper  Smiley  

Additionally, we're considering a maximum limit on cards offered by each store.  What are your thoughts?

Please let us know if you have questions, want some more examples or guidance.

Mindy

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Re: New - Image Re-use & Card Approvals
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2007, 1:49am

I think its a good idea to limit the use of the same image - *I* won't go through pages of very similar images so I'm guessing its a turn off for buyers too.

Can you say how many cards you think each store would be limited to?

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2007, 6:26am

Hi, Mindy!

It's true, I've sometimes been very disconcerted when browsing GCU categories to find page after page of the exact same image. I think limiting using the identical image on multiple cards will certainly prove a boon to shoppers and provide an incentive for artists to offer variety.

Now as an illustrator and artist who has 800+ cards at GCU, and who plans to add more holiday-specific cards, etc., before the beginning of autumn, I would not like my ability to offer new cards to shoppers curtailed too severely.  

Perhaps a possible solution would be for GCU to have two different programs for artists - a free shop with a limited number of cards, and a premium shop with unlimited cards for an annual fee. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for the privilege, particularly if I could pay for it from my GCU earnings. That way my shop could pay for itself, and I could still pocket my profits.  Smiley

Corrie
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/corrieweb
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Mariana_131409
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2007, 6:38am

I agree with Corrie, I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for unlimited cards, as I do plan on placing a lot more cards in my store! And I agree about the limitations for image re-use too. Thanks Mindy! Cheers, Mariana

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/floatinglemons

Email   IP Logged
Picture_131439
artist

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2007, 10:13am

I'm ok with limiting re-use, as long as certain occasions (like birthdays) are taken into account.   for instance, starting around 30 and going up to maybe 65 (I don't know this part of the biz too well yet) an age related humor image with wording specific to the birthday (you're turning 30,31,32,etc) might work for all of those years.  That's about 35.  and the way the ages are broken down now, only 30,40,50 & 60 would be catagorized so it's not a pile of cards with the same image in one place.

A few things I've been thinking of:

!) HUGE catagories.  some catagories have large numbers of cards and will continue to grow (thank you, general birthday for instance).  this might be best broken up somehow.  Maybe by subject (flowers, photography, ???)-as an artist with a regular full time job and several other pod shops under my "business umbrella" have to say it would be difficult for the artists to recatogorize existing cards if this were done however.  since this site is only a few months old and has this many cards already, I can forsee the need to do this coming eventually as more artists find the site-even if there is a limit to # cards.

2) placement in a catagory.  Most other sites rank by how well an image sells, not when it was added.  This will be important if you are trying to limit numbers of cards-if I added a bunch of cards in catagory a in march, they mill be buried by next year and I would need to decide to delete some to readd new ones, or just resign myself to a slowly declining sales base here-whether mine sold well at one time or not.  Or, it could lead to a delete and readd effect-delete old cards that get buried and readd them to bump them up to the latest pages.  

3) card limits/"premium" shops.  Depending on the fee, I might be interested-however, I would want a better way of setting up my shop if this were to occur.  I want to be able to organize it quicker than the drag and drop, as well as the ability to create sections for types of cards (vs the menu on the left).  I have other shops in a few other places-some have horrible ways to organize and change things, others are better.  Mindy or other GCU admin, email me if you want links to a few and I can explain the differences and benefits.  the main hurdle I see to this is that this site is really pretty new and it's hard to gauge profitability.  When you earn .50 a sale, it's a bit harder to justify a fee (again, it really depends on the fee amount, if this is even in the "cards"-lol). Allowing artists to do this could lead to ways of limiting the cards show in a search, with a limited selection appearing on the big dates sites and "see more like this" links at the end of the list-not sure how this would work with reminders though.  Otherwise, if we are limited, it will likely force people with large numbers of cards to delete ones that haven't sold yet/as well and that may or may not be beneficial (lost SEO, and possibly lost opportunity, as well as shrinking the number of cards on the site).  I know I would cull mine if this were to occur, just to try to make sure the ones I can have are ones that are most likely to sell frequently vs occasionally.

4) selecting more than one catagory per card.  There are times when this is almost nessesary.  But, I've seen anniversary cards in the wedding section for instance.  Policing/changing this will likely reduce the number of same images in different locations.  It would also be nice when you aren't sure where a card should go (some of the Christmas stuff can be a bit confusing depending on the image-is it traditional?  Light?  A favorite?  Put it in all three and be safe!) to have it guided into the right place by someone who knows.

I understand the need to find a better way to organize.  I'd be willing to bet this grew bigger & quicker than expected.  But, get a bunch of creative types together with a pretty easy to use interface, and well-this is what happens!

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2007, 1:43pm

I do believe that limiting the number of duplicate cards would definitely be good for shoppers and consequently good for artists as well.  I don't know of many shoppers willing to wade through hundreds of similar cards especially if they don't have a fast connection.

And as for limiting the number of cards in each store, I've always thought that's a good idea.  I don't think this would hurt the people with a lot of cards in their store as most have a link to their web site anyway, where more cards can be seen and where they have more control over how they want to arrange cards.  I mean, if an artist sold 5 cards with 10 cards on their site does that mean they'll sell 50 cards with 100, 500 cards with 1000?  I don't think so.  

What's a good number of cards to be limited to?  I think this is something that should be asked in the forum. Personally, the idea of paying a "fee" for unlimited cards seems to me a bit like paying a premium to be able to use the 'commuter fast-lane' on the highway.  But, it could be a way to refer shoppers to "see more like this".  

I think limits would make the site more user friendly to shoppers and actually help individual sales.  We can't all be everything to every one.  Maybe something like "Ally Artist's Everyday Cards" (25-50 cards max)  "Ally Artist's Holiday Cards" (25-50 cards max) "Ally Artist's Occasion Cards" (25-50 max) and "Ally Artist's blank and specialty cards (25-50 max) within each site.  And possibly a storage server to rotate from so one wouldn't have to re-upload.

Just some thoughts.
-E

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:32pm

Thanks for the great feedback!  Sounds like we're on the same page and that customer experience is priority #1  Wink

Soon you will start seeing...
1. Cards being rejected  cry  that are using the identical/near identical images that do not specifically speak to an occasion as well as gender, relationship and age (age specific birthdays are somewhat exempt from this as long as the images are age appropriate meaning the same image is not used for all age categories).

2. More categories!  We have a forum topic to suggest new categories.  Any SUGGESTIONS on a better way to do this?

3. Large card categories will be broken down into smaller subcategories.  

4. Card pages displayed by most popular order vs. most recent so "the good ones don't get buried" (working on an algorithm)

5. Cards recategorized and reprofiled by GCUniverse staff during the card approval process when necessary  

Much for our staff to discuss.  Also topics like:    
o  possible card limits and premium shops & fees
o  better store organization tools

We'll post as progress is made.  Thanks as always for your great input, it's much appreciated & valued!
Mindy

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131634
artist

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2007, 5:18pm

Hello to all-

I think limiting duplicate or nearly duplicate images is a sound business practice. Cards used over and over again and displayed next to each other put a damper on the sense of unique originality that GCU is trying to promote: wonderful cards that you won't find anywhere else.  
The artists on this site are highly creative and each is capable of endless numbers of unique images. Busy potential customers simply won't take the time to wade thru pages of "sameness." Maybe card listings could say "Also available as" and each variation would have a unique stock number for ordering).

I also would like to offer the opinion that "mega sites" are counter-productive. I worked with a former Hallmark Cards cartoonist for many years and he explained Hallmark's archiving and refresh system to me. I think a constantly rotating stock of say 150 or so cards is better for our customers, and for all of us.  
Even if you can get a potential buyer to wade thru 100s of cards, odds are that customer will run out of energy or time and/or never get to other storefronts on GCU.  
Our storefronts should carry only the best of the best that we have created!

I'm OK with card pages being ranked and displayed by "most popular" but please leave in the ability for a customer to sort by "most recent" or "new cards." We all win if the customer has a choice as to how they want to look for cards.

Thanks for reading thru this...and three cheers for all of us who provide beautiful, funny, touching and unique ways for people to connect!

Pat

Email   IP Logged
Picture_131439
artist

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2007, 7:02pm

Quote from Patricia_131634 on Jul 3rd, 2007, 5:18pm:

I also would like to offer the opinion that "mega sites" are counter-productive. I worked with a former Hallmark Cards cartoonist for many years and he explained Hallmark's archiving and refresh system to me. I think a constantly rotating stock of say 150 or so cards is better for our customers, and for all of us.
Even if you can get a potential buyer to wade thru 100s of cards, odds are that customer will run out of energy or time and/or never get to other storefronts on GCU.
Our storefronts should carry only the best of the best that we have created!

Pat

I think you might be refering to the idea of "premium" shops.  I've installed a statcounter, and can say that I'm getting hits from search engine searches in addition to visits from gcu/big dates sites.  So having my own "store" within GCU is benificial to me & GCU.  I'm picking up potential customers using "my" seo.  A greater control over it could lead to more.  And grouping same cards (anniversary for instance) in a section together would have even better seo potentially by focusing the search in one place.

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2007, 12:45am

Well, I believe limiting selections to 150 cards would be a mistake. Hallmark's primary business is not on-line but in its brick-and-mortar stores; their business model doesn't necessarily benefit GCU, which has an entirely different philosophy.

In our experience with our on-line store at Cafe Press, we've found that the key to success is a very large selection of different, well-done designs appealing to a broad range of tastes. We can see from our stats that one person might browse through 80 different designs looking for something that tickles their fancy, while another person might home in on a single design that appeals to them. The most successful stores (success being gauged on earnings) have literally thousands of different designs, and they get literally thousands of sales on a monthly basis.

In the past five months at GCU, we've found that our customers tend to buy all kinds of cards from our 800+ inventory. Yes, there are favorite themes that tend to sell better than others, but we've sold quite a variety from age-related birthday to bridal shower invitations to wedding congratulations for gay/lesbian couples to missing you, etc. The point is, you never know what a customer will be looking for on any given day. It would be a shame to lose potential sales because the card a customer is looking for isn't in your store's 150-card rotation on the day they visit. That customer will go elsewhere.

We're one of GCU's top sellers, so we must be doing something right.  Wink

Corrie

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131634
artist

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2007, 8:32am

Hmmm. I seem to have struck a nerve. I wasn't advocating Hallmark's business mode, but rather meant that even the "big guys" rotate their stock, and you don't see multiples of the same images in their racks.

With over 800 cards, Cafe Press accounts for almost 10% of GCU selections. That is quite an impressive statistic. Congratulations on your status as one of GCU's top sellers!

GCU's success means we all succeed. I am hopeful that we can all be top sellers by doing not something, but "everything right."

Pat

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2007, 8:42am

HI All,

There are some really good points made here.

I'm personnally not sure about paying for a premium store facility simply becuase (as someone else pointed out) we only make $0.50 on the sale of each card so to charge anything is cutting into the smal amount that we make. I'm new and have only been on the sight for about 6wks so I haven't made loads of  sales (24 cards to be exact, which I don't think is bad), but cutting into that small profit wouldn't be worth it for me. I guess it depends on how much GCU is going to charge really.
As for limiting same image cards, I have to agree that we could do with minimising this for the sanity of our customers!  Smiley Although I have to say I have included a few wedding ones recently, with photo's where I have also used the same image for Save the Date, Wedding Invite/Engagement, etc because if someone was to buy my wedding cards they would want the full 'set' so to speak in the same design.
Anyway, these are just my thoughts  Smiley I'll go with the flow...

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2007, 9:49am by Catherine_131549 »  

Email   IP Logged
Picture_131439
artist

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2007, 7:38am

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Jul 4th, 2007, 12:45am:

In our experience with our on-line store at Cafe Press, we've found that the key to success is a very large selection of different, well-done designs appealing to a broad range of tastes. We can see from our stats that one person might browse through 80 different designs looking for something that tickles their fancy, while another person might home in on a single design that appeals to them. The most successful stores (success being gauged on earnings) have literally thousands of different designs, and they get literally thousands of sales on a monthly basis.

We're one of GCU's top sellers, so we must be doing something right.  Wink

Corrie

I have had this same experiance with CP.  My "idols" there have (in comparison to mine) gigantic stores with large quantities of designs.  Some are quite similar with minor changes for only one or two words.  Take the "i heart" shops.  all that changes is what they "heart" (i "heart" ny, I "heart" my poodle).  

GCU is a completely different concept than traditional card places, so the approach will also need to be different.  The idea of having a nearly endless selection of cards that speak to an individual's personality is (to me) the force that will drive GCU to becoming a real player in that industry.  Even the fact that we each have a "storefront" within GCU is unique to the card industry as far as I can tell (but not to PODs).  GCU's ability to capitolize on that will also help propel it forward.  Shoppers won't just be buying cards from a big site (GCU), but also from individual stores-about as "direct from artist" as you can get without going to a brick and morter specialty shop or craft fair.

I'm curious, since I don't see that particular stat anywhere (GCU top seller).  Did someone at GCU tell you that, or is it because several of your cards are always in the "most popular" section?  Just wondering where I stack up.

Email   IP Logged
Lynne_131303
artist

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2007, 9:20pm

Mindy,  

I had addressed this issue in a post (#62) on June 12th...and had been looking for a reply. I was worried that I might have touched a nerve somewhere (see post). Anyway, I'm glad to see that I was not the only one that saw the multiple, same image cards as an "issue".

Email   IP Logged
Patricia_131634
artist

Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2007, 11:36am

Hi to all-

I made a good-sized error in my July 4th posting! I thought that Cafe Press was the storefront name of a GCU member who offers a lot of cards. Thought I read carefully, but I had never heard of C.Press before, thus the mistake. Sorry for the slip.  

Hope everyone had a great 4th!

Pat

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.