You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
No Sales (Read 6084 times)
Olwyn_131440
GCU Newbies
artist

No Sales
Apr 15th, 2007, 6:17am

Sad Hey Everyone, Can someone please look at my cards and tell me what im doing wrong ive only had 8 sales so far and i know they were bought by someone i know,  can anyone tell me if my designs are rubbish or is this just the case that it takes time to get noticed???

www.greetingcarduniverse.com/ollicards

thanks and please be honestSmiley

Email   IP Logged
Jen_131266
GCU Newbies
artist

Re: No Sales
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2007, 1:37pm

Smiley Hi Olwyn - I visited your store and I think you're on the right track. Your cards are very appealing, I just think you need more of them, especially in the Birthday category. I copied the following from the Greeting Card Association (U.S.) web site:

"There are two categories of greeting cards -- Seasonal and Everyday. Total card sales are split approximately 50-50 between the two types.

The most popular Everyday cards are Birthday (60%), Anniversary (8%), Get Well (7%), Friendship (6%), and Sympathy cards (6%).

The most popular Seasonal cards are Christmas (60%), Valentine's Day (25%), Mother's Day (4%), Easter (3%), and Father's Day (3%) cards."

I suggest you continue to build up your inventory with an aim to mirroring the proportions above -- 50% Everday (with the lion share of that being birthday) and 50% Seasonal.  

Good luck!

Jen Cosgrove

Email   IP Logged
Olwyn_131440
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2007, 1:30am

Thanks a million, thats a great help ill do that Smiley

Email   IP Logged
James_131333
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2007, 3:22pm

Hi Olwyn

Don't feel bad about the lack of sales.  I have only sold 2 cards and reading the 'Forum' I think many people are in the same boat.  This site is fairly new so give it some time.

OK...an honest critique.  I have to say something about your 'Just to say" card...the three dark spots in the center looks like a skull...and the red splattered paint looks like blood.  So, to me that card looks like a skull with blood splattered on it.  Pretty dark.  I don't think you will sell many of those.  Also, a lot of your cards only use only the top half of the available space.  I personally don't like that.  I think you should re-do the entire front page of you store and turn all of those cards into 'landscapes' instead of 'portraits' (refering to card orientation) so the image uses the entire card.  I do like your cards where you use the entire space alloted.  I think your drawings are really cute and will appeal to people looking for a card.  Definitely not rubbish.

One more piece of advice I have learned by reading the forums from people who make better sales than you or I.  The message inside your card (or on the front) is what sells it.  It's not about the art...it's about the message.  Or lets say more about the message than the art.  Many of your cards that have the most written in them are the ones that only use half of the card.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

You know what they say about opinions...but those are mine.  I hope you find them helpful.  Good luck selling your cards, Olli!

James

Email   IP Logged
Olwyn_131440
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2007, 3:05am

Thanks for your comment, ill work on them..as for that card you say looks like blood, if you look closely its actually a picture of my dog painted, its up here for my mum coz she loves it!!

Email   IP Logged
Ernestine_131365
Gold Member
artist

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2007, 4:13am

James & Owlyn

I disagree with you James that "it's not about the art"  I've sold a few cards (though not up with Jen, Corrie & "Creations-heart", but, again, I only have a few cards on my site) and they were all BLANK (okay, one seller has copy in the art on the outside).  I like to think it's for the art!  
     Women are the primary purchasers of greeting cards, they'll view a card (or pick it up at a store) because they like what they SEE.  They will BUY it for what it says (or DOESN'T say, for that matter, if they have their own message that the art reflects).  The best sellers on this site seem to have a combination of both.  Humor also is always a great selling tool.  
     Lastly, my 2¢ worth on sales. PATIENCE.  This is a brand new site.  And where else can you get such support, responsiveness and exposure FOR FREE!?!  I figured I was WAY ahead with my first 50¢ commission!  I'm gradually putting more cards on my site, using the invaluable interactive marketing resources that GCU has.

--Ernestine

Email   IP Logged
James_131333
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2007, 5:42am

I hope you are right, Ernestine...because I'm a painter, not a poet!  And I agree, the free exposure and support provided by GCU is fantastic.  I really don't care if I only make a few bucks a year!  At the end of the day it's just kind of fun.

And Olwyn, you DEFINITELY don't want to disappoint Mom!   Grin

Good luck!

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2007, 5:37pm

Hi all, just me chiming in.  Some excellent discussions w/ great advice all around.    

A couple of comments for what they're worth    Roll Eyes

1. It is a two step process.  They'll click on the card if they like what they see but they'll buy it if the message hits home.  Thus, the more specific the card the better chance you'll hit their sweet spot.  

2. since it's relatively easy to create multiple cards with different messages out of the same art, go for it!  Happy Birthday to a dear Mom, Happy Birthday to a great Sister, Happy Birthday to a wonderful Aunt, etc.  

3. the more specific your card text is the better chance you have getting hits from the search engines.  you won't get that with blank cards.  

4. along the lines of Jen's data, 90% of the non-holiday reminders we send are for birthdays.  We will "push" your cards to shoppers in email reminders but they must be good matches for those reminders (birthdays, specific ages, tailored by relationship, etc.).  See topic Card Profiling 101 for more nitty gritty.  

Lastly, we have a thread for Card Verse Ideas under Creative Collaboration.  If you want some verse suggestions put a call out for a specific card and see what you get.  

We appreciate the great ideas, sharing and patience  Cheesy
Mindy

Email   IP Logged
trudette_131402
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2007, 5:51am

Hi all,
no sales for me either , exept 2 by someone I know.
What can I do to improve my store, is it worth going on ?
Feedback much appriciated, please do n't be gentle,
thanks
trudette

this is my store:
 http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/trudette  

Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2007, 8:19am

Hi Trudette,

Looking at your art I would say YES, of course it is worth going on !  Smiley

You have your own unique style and there is definitely a market for your work.
Patience is the key, and you also need to beef up your selection. I counted 12 cards in your store and you will have to make much, MUCH more to make an impression. If you want your cards to stand out from the 3000 + cards already on GCU there is work to be done.  

So think months, not weeks to see results.

Corrie
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/corrieweb

Email   IP Logged
Christie_131341
artist

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2007, 9:45am

Quote from 131402 on Apr 19th, 2007, 5:51am:
Hi all,
no sales for me either , exept 2 by someone I know.
What can I do to improve my store, is it worth going on ?
Feedback much appriciated, please do n't be gentle,
thanks
trudette

this is my store:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/trudette

Hi Trudette.
Absolutely, it is worth going on.  Your drawings are very cute!  I think the main problem is that you haven't given them a purpose.  And, I am a little confused as to why you have your website listed as the inside of the card.  I would move that to the outside of the card using the "image by" option.
I would say add a message to the outside and the inside of your cards, just like you did for the vase of flowers.  Maybe make that one into a mother's day card as well? Also, the ones with the moms and babies could be used for mother's day and new arrivals.  The possibilities are endless! Then just categorize and profile appropriately.  
When you look at your image, you just need to think of what occasion(s) it could be used for.  
Hope this helps some, best wishes to you!
Christie Black

Email   IP Logged
James_131333
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2007, 10:59am

Trudette

Your images are FANTASTIC!  My only advice is MAKE MORE.

Also, I agree with Christie.  What I REALLY, REALLY DO NOT like is your website address on the inside of the card.  When I buy a card, that is where I like to write my message AND where I like to read the message (a.k.a the purpose) of the card.  I would not buy your cards just for that reason.  Honestly, I wouldn't put the web address on the front of the card either...if you really want it on there I think it belongs on the back of the card.  I think you should loose the advertising and preferably put a message on the inside of the card...or just leave it blank.  ...and make more...the artwork is GREAT!

James    Grin

Email   IP Logged
eugenia_131318
artist

Trudette: No Sales
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2007, 8:40pm

I love your designs Trudette and I think they will sell well - Personally I never buy the words on a card I always buy the picture but I am obviously not the majority here!
So take Christie's sound advice and give your cards a purpose!
AND DON"T GIVE UP!!!

Email   IP Logged
trudette_131402
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2007, 6:21am

Thanks all!
I really appreciate the feedback. I 've taken away the websiteaddress and I am already creating cards with texts on them, so I can give them a purpose.

Email   IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2007, 12:47pm

Hi Trudette,
I'm glad you've gotten the encouragement and direction you've need and deserve!  Your artwork is wonderful and unique.  We are glad to have you on GCUniverse!

For some specific ideas your...
- My CarrotCar would make an adorable Easter card
- Little Prince a charming little boy's Birthday card
- I Love You a simply perfect Valentine's Day card

You can keep these cards as they are and just use the same image with occasion specific text to make new cards.  Be sure to categorize AND profile properly so shoppers can find them and we can put them in the right reminders.

Mindy

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.