You must login or register to post.

Pages: 1 2 
No Sales (Read 6063 times)
Valarie_131500
GCU Newbies
artist

Re: No Sales
Reply #15 - Jun 23rd, 2007, 9:17pm

I think everybodies cards are fabulous and I have to agree it just takes time. But once one person receives your card and finds out about your shop things will pick up  Grin

I haven't advertised my store anywhere so I'm very happy with the few cards I've been lucky enough to sell. It isn't a lot, but it's a start.  

Most of the time I'm shocked to see I sold 1 card.  
 Shocked

Email   IP Logged
Kimberly_132043
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2007, 9:45am

I'm very new here and just now finding these boards.  I've been looking for a thread like this one for a couple of days.  

After reading all this information, I think I need to start all over.  My store looks too bright and my mixture of art and photography is probably confusing to people.  My intentions in the beginning was to use only my collage art for cards.  BUT... I discovered that most of the original scans are too small and I have sold all of the original pieces and can't rescan them.   I decided to use some of my photography along with my art and now I'm just confused.  

I have some blank cards and some cards with verses.  I just feel a little overwhelmed and I think my shop must look like a ridiculous hodge-podge.  I don't even know if I've used the keywords to my advantage.  I know for sure that I have to go back in and redo my profile cards.  Tomorrow, I'll take some time to read
Card Profiling 101 .

Are my cards too quirky?  Maybe not cute enough?  

I'm hungry for advice!!
Kim
Garden Painter Art

Email   IP Logged
Picture_131439
artist

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2007, 2:53pm

Quote from Kimberly_132043 on Sep 11th, 2007, 9:45am:
I'm very new here and just now finding these boards.  I've been looking for a thread like this one for a couple of days.  

After reading all this information, I think I need to start all over.  My store looks too bright and my mixture of art and photography is probably confusing to people.  My intentions in the beginning was to use only my collage art for cards.  BUT... I discovered that most of the original scans are too small and I have sold all of the original pieces and can't rescan them.   I decided to use some of my photography along with my art and now I'm just confused.  

I have some blank cards and some cards with verses.  I just feel a little overwhelmed and I think my shop must look like a ridiculous hodge-podge.  I don't even know if I've used the keywords to my advantage.  I know for sure that I have to go back in and redo my profile cards.  Tomorrow, I'll take some time to read
Card Profiling 101 .

Are my cards too quirky?  Maybe not cute enough?  

I'm hungry for advice!!
Kim
Garden Painter Art

I have some non-photography with my photography.  I don't think it's a detractor, but the way the shops are currently set up, it is rather difficult to "organize" if you have more than a few cards.  I am betting most sales come directly from reminders or catagory searches vs direct storefront hits from a search engine right now anyway.  Seeing that GCU is a "baby" (not even a year old yet!), it has some growing to do, and I'm sure things will change-such as how we, as artists/shopkeepers organize our storefronts.  I wouldn't overthink that portion of it rigt now though.

What's your store id?  I'm sure people will be willing to take a look and give more targeted advice.

Email   IP Logged
Kimberly_132043
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2007, 4:02pm

"What's your store id?  I'm sure people will be willing to take a look and give more targeted advice."

I guess it would be a good idea to post my store id, wouldn't it?

Here it is:

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/gardenpainterartscardboutique

I know my store is very hodge-podge right now, but I think I'm getting the hang of it .  I intend to go back in this weekend and delete some of my early cards and relist with verses.

My art is very bright and quirky, so I'm not sure there's much of a market for that, but I'm open to any and all advice.

Thanks so much:
Kim
Garden Painter Art  

Email   IP Logged
Catherine_131549
artist

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2007, 12:51am

Hi Kimberly and Welcome!

I've had a quick peek at you store and love your collages! I think they are quirky and whimsical with a great use of colour. I don't think you have done anything wrong, you just need to add more cards in whatever media.  
Maybe look at aiming your card designs at specific categories more and download something every day if you can, even if its just one card it gets your work in the 'NEW' category.
See what holidays/celebrations are coming up and specifically design for them so when people are looking for that 'RAMADAN' card (for example) to send, you have already made one and it increases your chances of selling a card.

Hope this helps & good luck
Catherine
 Grin

www.greetingcarduniverse.com/catherinenoy

Email   IP Logged
Liz_131570
artist

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2007, 9:06am

Hi, I started my store in May 2007.  I had thousands and thousands of clicks but no buyers.  Like you I had 3 very different styles.  Photography, graphics and my own drawings.  

I was selling a couple of cards here and there.   I personally did not like the way my store looked with all my different techniques.   I decided to overhaul my store.  I focused on photography.  Some say photography card art is difficult to sell.  But if your cards send a message, like yours do, I think there is definiitely a market for them.  

For instance, I got my first "big sale" on Sept. 9 or 10th.  It was nice because it was not a family member or friend.  (i have only recently told a couple family members about the site) I think the customer bought the photo card for invitations for a birthday party. I also overhauled all my key words.  I went through everything and really paid attention not to "oversell" the card.  It causes the card to be  profiled innaproprately and I think that can be a real turnoff to potential customers.  

With that said.  I really don't think that having multiple techniques in your store is a problem.   For me, it just wasn't working.  That is definitely a personal decision.  I think the most important things are time, patience, paying very special attention to keywords, and specifically target your customers.  I don't think many of us are getting rich from doing this!   Roll Eyes We do it becasue we loooove it!   Cheesy  

And who knows, maybe just maybe your business will take off.  In the business world, they say give your new business 5 years to turn into a "cash cow."  Cheesy

So, hang in there and good luck!  

www.greetingcarduniverse.com/LizMountain

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2007, 3:15am

Quote from Mindy on Apr 18th, 2007, 5:37pm:
Hi all, just me chiming in.  Some excellent discussions w/ great advice all around.  

A couple of comments for what they're worth    Roll Eyes

1. It is a two step process.  They'll click on the card if they like what they see but they'll buy it if the message hits home.  Thus, the more specific the card the better chance you'll hit their sweet spot.

2. since it's relatively easy to create multiple cards with different messages out of the same art, go for it!  Happy Birthday to a dear Mom, Happy Birthday to a great Sister, Happy Birthday to a wonderful Aunt, etc.

3. the more specific your card text is the better chance you have getting hits from the search engines.  you won't get that with blank cards.

4. along the lines of Jen's data, 90% of the non-holiday reminders we send are for birthdays.  We will "push" your cards to shoppers in email reminders but they must be good matches for those reminders (birthdays, specific ages, tailored by relationship, etc.).  See topic Card Profiling 101 for more nitty gritty.

Lastly, we have a thread for Card Verse Ideas under Creative Collaboration.  If you want some verse suggestions put a call out for a specific card and see what you get.

We appreciate the great ideas, sharing and patience  Cheesy
Mindy

Oh--this information is wonderful! 'duh' to me!  So glad you posted it!  I'm adjusting my cards asap.  Smiley
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
phrank_131619
artist

Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2007, 1:04pm

SmileyDon't feel Bad... I've been here for months and TODAY I recieved a sales notice...YEAH!.. One card. A person was doing a search for "A Thanksgiving Pig" and came across my Golen retriever card.. You just never Know...LOL...capt.

Email   IP Logged
_131840
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2007, 7:28pm

Quote from phrank_131619 on Nov 13th, 2007, 1:04pm:
SmileyDon't feel Bad... I've been here for months and TODAY I recieved a sales notice...YEAH!.. One card. A person was doing a search for "A Thanksgiving Pig" and came across my Golen retriever card.. You just never Know...LOL...capt.

I had that person buy a card too.  A siamese cat in fromt of a Christmas tree.  I read it over and over trying to figure out how they got from a Thanksgiving Pig to a  Siamese cat lol.  Glad to know someone else shared the insanity!

d

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.