Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Card verse ideas (Read 3097 times)
Jen Cosgrove(Guest)

Card verse ideas
Feb 26th, 2007, 2:08pm

Hi folks - I've been really impressed by the cards I've seen on the site. There are some really beautiful and touching images and lots of humorous ones too.  

I just wanted to pass on a book suggestion for anyone who wants some help with the verse writing side of the creative process. Whether you'd like help coming up with funny one-liners, rhymed verse, or unrhymed verse, I'd highly recommend Molly Wigand's book,    
 How to Write and Sell Greeting Cards, Bumper Stickers, T-Shirts and Other Fun Stuff by Molly Wigand (Paperback - Mar 1992). She is one of Hallmark's long-time writers.

I know a 1992 book may sound dated, like much of the lit on greeting cards that's out there, but it's still very relevant and useful.  

So if you've ever battled writer's block when it comes to writing the copy for your cards, be sure to check it out!

Email   IP Logged
Sharon_131320
artist

Re: Card verse ideas
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2007, 2:03pm

Hi Jen  Smiley

thanks for the book tip--I ran across that title awhile back looking for books on card design. Might be time to pick up a copy!

Email   IP Logged
Cara_131386
artist

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2007, 10:00am

Smiley  Thank you so much Jen!  Your suggestion on the book is an excellent idea!  I thank you so much for that.  You could have kept that little secret to yourself but you thought of others and that really impresses me!  Have a great day!

Email   IP Logged
Jen_131266
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2007, 4:15am

Smiley Hi Cara and Sharon - Glad that this book suggestion might be useful to you.  

Cara - your note reminded me of something in the book. The author observes that by and large, (most) folks in the greeting card industry are just plain nice. Something about the nature of the subject matter that we all deal with. That's what I'm finding too.

Hope everyone's been fortunate to run into more than their share of nice folks out there. I think we can reach more card buyers if we put our minds and talents together than if we try to go it solo!

Cheers

Email   IP Logged
Joe5_131336
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2007, 12:02am

IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2007, 7:23pm

embarrassed  Joe---the link didn't bring me to a specific book--just Barnes and Nobles...can you say the title and I'll just go look it up?  Thanks!
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2007, 7:24pm

Joe--btw, why does it say, 'ex-member' under your name?  I've never seen that before.  (?)
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.