Welcome, Guest Login
You must login or register to post.

Business viability questions from artist (Read 2834 times)
Ex Member

Business viability questions from artist
Feb 20th, 2007, 3:08pm

Cool
I'm an artist and part of the TheArtofLicensing@yahoogroups.com discussion group (where I read about your site). I'm considering putting my artwork on this site. I read that your initial goal at launch is 100 artists and 1000 cards.  

Here are a few business-related questions.

1. With the proliferation of e-cards, do you have marketing research to indicate enough customers will pay $2.49 -$3.49 to buy printed cards to make this viable?  

2. What is your ramp up timeline to make this a viable business?

3. I see that customers can have the card sent to themselves (for personal delivery, I assume). Is the real business opportunity in the customer personalizing the card and having it mailed directly to the recipient?

4. Is the Reminder Service the engine driving this business?

5. Can you help protect the art from simply being downloaded off the screen as a Save As file (it will be a small image but usable)?

PJ Ryan Huh

IP Logged
Mindy
GCU Administrator
Community Manager

Re: Business viability questions from artist
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2007, 10:58am

Hi PJ,
Great post and nice to see you thinking this through.  Let me respond to your questions and let me know if you need more details...

1. Absolutely, the ecard market although highly popular has hardly touched the paper card market.  See this current and interesting article citing both Hallmark and American Greetings...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070213.wecardss0213/BNStory /Technology/home

2. Our ramp up time to make this public to shoppers is the 100 artists and 1,000 cards.  We are just a couple of weeks away from that goal.  As a complete business model, GCU is one small piece of a much larger business (see www.BigDates-Solutions.com  btw: that's me on the home page "hi!"  Cheesy).  We are committed to not only making GCU a prominent greeting card destination site but more importantly, providing a great and unique selection of cards for our reminder service based sites.  We've been in that business for over 6 years.

3. The real business opportunity is both for shoppers to send directly to the recipient and to themselves first (typically to hand sign).  Of course the more info a shopper has in their GCU address book and reminders the easier it is and the more likely they'll use GCU to send cards each year.

4. Yes, the reminder service is the marketing drive for this business.  Leveraging our BigDates reminder service sites to "push" the right cards to the right people at the right time.  Moving GCU cards into reminders outside of GCU is scheduled for 3/1.

5. This topic of image protection has just come to the top of the list.  We're looking at watermarking the larger images (not thumbnails).  Please follow this topic in the News & Anno forum topic I'll start today.

Thanks for your great questions  Roll Eyes
Mindy

Email   IP Logged
David_131259
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2007, 12:09pm

2. Our ramp up time to make this public to shoppers is the 100 artists and 1,000 cards.  We are just a couple of weeks away from that goal.  As a complete business model, GCU is one small piece of a much larger business (see www.BigDates-Solutions.com  btw: that's me on the home page "hi!"  Cheesy).  

Yowza! LOL

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2007, 3:21am

Quote from 131259 on Mar 26th, 2007, 12:09pm:

2. Our ramp up time to make this public to shoppers is the 100 artists and 1,000 cards.  We are just a couple of weeks away from that goal.  As a complete business model, GCU is one small piece of a much larger business (see www.BigDates-Solutions.com  btw: that's me on the home page "hi!"  Cheesy).  

Yowza! LOL

Wow=-==how many artsit does GCU have now?  (I see the above date was back in March)--I'd love to know how fast you're growing!
-Kerra

Icansketchu Paper Greeting Cards:
http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/icansketchu
Email   IP Logged
Corrie_131338
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2007, 7:58am

Hi Kerra,

If you go to GCU's front page you see all relevant info on the left :

Artists:      524
Total Cards:      16,142
Cards to be Approved:      20
New Cards Today:      0
Card Categories:      593

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2007, 3:07am

Hey, Cory--thanks!  That's pretty impressive--go, GCU!

-Kerra

Email   IP Logged
Karen_132334
GCU Newbies
artist

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2007, 2:51pm

>of a much larger business (see www.BigDates-Solutions.com  btw: that's me on the home page "hi!"

David, I think you morphed into Mindy on that home page... LOL

Great job you've done in the past few months!!!

Email   IP Logged
Kerra_131306
artist

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 4:06am

Quote from Corrie_131338 on Sep 26th, 2007, 7:58am:
Hi Kerra,

If you go to GCU's front page you see all relevant info on the left :

Artists: 524
Total Cards: 16,142
Cards to be Approved: 20
New Cards Today: 0
Card Categories: 593

Corrie
http://www.corrieweb.nl

Thanks, Corrie!
GCU is growing so fast it's amazing!  Smiley
-Kerra

Email   IP Logged

About Us     Artists     Artist FAQ     Blog     Card Sellers     Contact Us     Content Disclaimer     Forum     Paper Card Categories     Privacy Policy     Shopper FAQ     Holidays 2011

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.                        
© Copyright 2000- Greeting Card Universe - Powered By Bigdates-Solutions.com   

GCU Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.